Gears 5 | Official Thread of It's Gear5 To Me

I'm surprised by the reviews. I wasn't super hyped for this, but I'm glad to hear that it's a real evolution for the series. I just played through 4 on Gamepass and it felt like stepping back in time. Hearing that Gears has taken notes from Uncharted and the recent God of War makes me far more excited.

The State Of The Universe video in extras does a good job catching up from Gears 1 to Gears 4 but the Previously On Gears video is only good to jog your memory on Gears 4 to remind you what happened. So they are good to watch if you’ve played Gears 4, if you haven’t and are starting here you should go on youtube and watch a longer summary.

17 minutes ago, stepee said:

FYI: If you want to play today before 9pm PT/12am ET and have Game Pass Ultimate you can just change the location on the Xbox to New Zealand and play now. Just the location, not the language, everything works as normal and it just takes a second.

The game starts off with a surprisingly lengthy training tutorial before you even hit the menu that goes over all the mechanics. I just find this odd because I can’t really think of many games that need a training section before you play less than this one.

Can I set my PC to New Zealand as well? :mthinking:

A really cool review that highlights Microsoft’s commitment towards gaming accessibility.  With this and the controller, Microsoft is doing great work. 

Played through the opening and this game really is a technical marvel on Xbox One X. It’s really impressive that they got a game looking this good in 4k running at 60fps. It’s almost strange playing something running like this on a console, they obviously took full advantage of the X here. Too bad it’s probably the only game besides I guess cross gen stuff down the line maybe that will do so!

just played Gears of War 4 for the first time. I've been done with Gears of War since Gears of War 3 but I have to say both Judgment and Gears of War 4 were very enjoyable when I eventually played them so I may try to play this day 1 actually! Will be playing on PC. 

The gameplay has always been buttery smooth and the sci-fi plots are fun. 

I played up to Act 2 Chapter 3 - this is very good. If you simply don’t like Gears, this won’t change your mind, however. It mixes things up a bit and expands upon its foundation, but it’s still very much like the others. But yeah, I’m really enjoying it and the story seems like a marked improvement over the other games where I’m actually interested in where it’s going. And yeah, it’s fucking beautiful.

4 minutes ago, ShreddieMercuryRising said:

Is the story enough of a factor to consider playing the old games first?  I haven't played anything since GoW 2, and I remember next to nothing about the story.

They do a good summary of the 360 games in the extras menu that you can watch before you start. I recommend watching a youtube summary of Gears 4 though since this takes place directly after it.

22 minutes ago, Anzo said:

Sprung for XBGP Ult for $3 for 3 months to play this. Game is beautiful. Played a few missions. I'll definitely need to watch a better Gears 4 summary because it didn't tell much.

Mine was only $2 for 2 months :( definitely would have extended it an extra month.

5 hours ago, ShreddieMercuryRising said:

Is the story enough of a factor to consider playing the old games first?  I haven't played anything since GoW 2, and I remember next to nothing about the story.

The entire story can be summarized on the underside of a Snapple lid. But Id just watch a quick YT video summery.

• Haha 2

This game is a BEAUTIFUL! I only had a chance to play about 30 minutes this morning, but good lord what a looker! 4K/60 on ultra is a sight to behold! I'm very much looking forward to getting home this evening and visiting my many work related stresses upon my enemies! :sun:

Well, the good reviews got me to download it. I played through 1-3 and Judgement back in the day, but I wouldn’t really consider myself a big fan of the series. Maybe getting on this one right away and possibly doing some MP will convert me. Won’t have much time to play until Sunday though. 

6 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

This game is a BEAUTIFUL! I only had a chance to play about 30 minutes this morning, but good lord what a looker! 4K/60 on ultra is a sight to behold! I'm very much looking forward to getting home this evening and visiting my many work related stresses upon my enemies! :sun:

that initial reveal when you are in the dark and opens up into the "training" area was quite something 

1 hour ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

Hmm... 4 PM, Friday... a highly anticipated game that's practically free... Yep, the servers are down.

I believe they pushed a couple back end fixes. Their Twitter was detailing all of it 

EDIT: This was yesterday that I saw those updates being pushed. I didn't see this was posted an hour ago :p

3 hours ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

Hmm... 4 PM, Friday... a highly anticipated game that's practically free... Yep, the servers are down.

Gotta make sure the servers are working ... while I play the SP campaign.   

Nice to see MS is still a joke when it comes to a store front.

47 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Maybe they got slammed by surprise because they released a good game for once.

They definitely got slammed. MS has released good games in the past, but not a game that's potentially GREAT.. that has a huge mp following... on a friday...  on gamepass day one... which practically anyone can get for like, $1.

It's pretty much the perfect storm.