• Xbox One (Sep 9, 2019)
  • PC (Sep 9, 2019)

Launch Trailer:

Publisher: Microsoft Game Studios

Review Aggregator

OpenCritic - 86 average - 92% recommended

Critic Reviews

Star News - 5 / 5

Gears 5 is the best looking the series has ever been, and that's maybe the least of the improvements here.

God is a Geek - 10 / 10

If you didn't think you needed another Gears of War, you were wrong. Gears 5 is a barnstorming success, and a triumphant return for the series. This is the essential first party game the Xbox One desperately needed.

SomosXbox - Spanish - 10 / 10

Gears 5 is the best Gears of War to date

Game Rant - 5 / 5 stars

Gears 5 is the complete package, with a compelling campaign, entertaining multiplayer, and a Horde Mode that will keep players engaged for hours.

Generación Xbox - Spanish - 9.8 / 10

Gears 5 is perfect as a new Gears and one of the best action titles of this generation. You can't ask for more quality content in one game.

Heavy - 9.5 / 10

The Coalition has simply knocked it out of the park with Gears 5.

Hobby Consolas - Spanish - 95 / 100

Gears 5 takes a step forward in all aspects, with a campaign with open levels, but still very intense. Audiovisually it's a delight and the multiplayer expands with new more approachable modes and a renewed horde mode with hero shooter features. The best Microsoft Studios game in recent years.

Glitched Africa - 9.5 / 10

The magic of Gears 5 is how all this comes together to offer the best entry in the series to date. Right from its exceptional campaign mode all the way to its new simple but effective Escape mode. The Seasonal Ranking ties everything you do across the game together to always deliver new challenges and rewards for completing them. It is simply one of the best games Microsoft has ever released.

ZTGD - 9.5 / 10

Gears 5 rekindles the magic the first three games delivered in their prime and it has me excited to see where the series goes in the next generation. This is one of the best games Microsoft has put out this year, and quite possible one of the best games of 2019.

Areajugones - Spanish - 9.5 / 10

Gears 5 is the greatest iteration on Xbox One

Gamerheadquarters - 9.2 / 10

Gears 5 is an ambitious, and incredible expansion of the franchise that takes this series to new heights.

The Games Machine - Italian - 9.1 / 10

Gears 5 is the natural evolution of the historic TPS series and, with its solid gameplay and contents, is a step towards the future that so many fans wanted. Perhaps some of them wished for a more decisive revolution, but the developers' hard work can be seen and felt, and it can satisfy any kind of player.

Spaziogames - Italian - 9.1 / 10

Gears 5 is the natural evolution of the Gears series: a more daring game, in every possible way. The Campaign took us by surprise, not only with its narration, but also with its bold design choices. The singleplayer experience prepares the player for a second round, with the gargantuan multiplayer section, where we find the glorious old modes and an Escape mode that punished and seduced us.

Press Start - 9 / 10

Gears 5 is a big, loud blockbuster that brings so much to the table, it’s easy to under-appreciate it.

Stevivor - 9 / 10

Gears 5 has some great innovations, held back behind the same ol'.

Windows Central - 4.5 / 5 stars

The future of Gears of War has never been so bright — and sure, there's room for improvement, but this is the evolution that the franchise desperately needed.

GamingBolt - 9 / 10

Gears 5 is one of Microsoft's best games this console generation. It's a package that's brimming with content, and has top-notch stuff on offer for you no matter what you're looking for. With its campaign, it successfully revitalizes a franchise may had feared was becoming stale, while with its online component, it continues to be on the top of its game, the way the series always been since the day it was born.

Xbox Achievements - 90 / 100

Once again, The Coalition proves itself as Gears of War's ideal custodian. Gears 5 is one of the best entries in the series yet, delivering an unrivalled package that still boasts the best headshots in the business.

GamingTrend - 90 / 100

Gears 5 is an impressive evolution in the Gears of War series with a campaign that feels like a huge leap forward and a dizzying amount of excellent multiplayer modes. The story isn't without its issues, especially the final act which I'm sure will draw controversy, but that does little to hold back this awesome next chapter in the Gears saga.

GamesBeat - 90 / 100

Gears 5 has a lot to offer, with multiplayer, co-op modes, and a single-player campaign with wide range of emotions, from humor and laughter to despair and tragedy. It leaves the fans with a bit of a cliffhanger ending, but that just means that fans will want Gears 6 to come soon.

Shacknews - 9 / 10

If you never liked Gears of War before, this is not going to be the game to change your mind, as it sticks with the same formula, but does finally evolve the design in a positive way. If you were previously a Gears Stan, then this game is a must-buy.

Twinfinite - 4.5 / 5

With Gears 5, The Coalition took some risks, and it makes for one of the best entries in the series yet.

Screen Rant - 4.5 / 5 stars

Gears 5 takes steps forward for the franchise, providing the bombastic, bloody violence of the series with both a greater scope and intimate story.

3DNews - Russian - 9 / 10

Classic Gears of War experience is greatly modified with cool new mechanics and not so necessary open world sections. But overall the game is close to be brilliant.

Critical Hit - 9 / 10

There are missteps, especially with the open worlds feeling lifeless, but Gears 5 is a more confident turn from a developer that no longer has to prove it's capable of making a faithful Gears of War sequel. Bigger, better and more beautiful – and a bold step in the right direction for the series. The action is superlative, the writing hits humorous and emotional notes, and the number of multiplayer modes is extensive. If ever there was a reason to subscribe to Xbox's Game Pass service, this is it.

Gamers Heroes - 9 / 10

Much like its iconic Lancer Assault Rifle, Gears 5 functions as perfectly as it was designed. The developers threw on a chainsaw of character, narrative, and content to make an over-the-top, thrilling experience from start to finish. Gears 5 is a badass game, and you'll come away feeling more badass than the legendary Marcus himself.

TheSixthAxis - 9 / 10

Gears 5 is a brilliant experience which can be enjoyed alone or with friends in equal measure. It keeps much of the series' core gameplay and feel, but also takes it in some new directions. It's great to see Gears evolving, opening the door for even more positive changes in the future.

Digital Trends - 4.5 / 5 stars

Gears 5 is one of the best games on Xbox One, with a satisfying campaign and tremendous multiplayer.

Gamersky - Chinese - 9 / 10

Gears 5 has a solid single-player campaign which is full of interesting ideas and a brand new PVE mode. It might be a breakthrough for the franchise if it keeps providing high-quality multiplayer content in the future.

IGN - 8.8 / 10

Gears 5's campaign doubles down on story and brings enough welcome gameplay improvements to make it a great ride.

COGconnected - 87 / 100

No matter what your experience level is with these familiar faces, Gears 5 is the most accessible title in the line, and is ultimately successful in trying to be something for everyone.

GamePro - German - 86 / 100

Even if not all new features work: Gears 5 is a great action game with a huge display value.

Game Informer - 8.5 / 10

Gears 5 delivers plenty of excitement in its encounters and story, and offers nearly endless thrills in its excellently crafted multiplayer experiences

PowerUp! - 8.1 / 10

Gears 5, is a decent addition to the franchise. Fans will love the story and lore and will equally enjoy the combat. It doesn’t reinvent the COG but then again, it doesn’t have to.

Hardcore Gamer - 4 / 5

The Coalition is clearly making substantial strides to evolve Gears into a bigger and better shooter, but the fifth installment is only half a step in the right direction.

EGM - 8 / 10

Gears 5 makes major strides in the series' approach to storytelling. This is the most heartfelt Delta Squad has ever been, and The Coalition backs up that emotion with genuine improvements to gameplay. While its new co-op mode, Escape, is generally underwhelming, Arcade mixes up the competitive meta enough to keep things interesting. All told, Gears 5 is more Gears, but it's also a bold statement for why this series is still relevant.

GamesRadar+ - 4 / 5 stars

Gears 5 biggest changes don't reinvent the series, but give the classic shooter more room to breathe. Let Gears be Gears.

Game Revolution - 4 / 5 stars

If you’re any kind of shooter fan, this game has earned your attention.

Daily Star - 4 / 5 stars

Gears 5 is a return to form for Microsoft’s hardcore series, delivering fans the roadie-running, head-bursting, visceral joy that made the franchise such a success in the first place.

Cerealkillerz - German - 8 / 10

Gears 5 delivers the usual solid co-op experience and offers enough variety in the gameplay-mix over the different modes.  Sadly a lot of technical issues, bad level design and a lot of well meant ideas of the developers that didn't really delivered the effect they wanted doesn't make Gears 5 stand that much out compared to Gears of War 4.

Attack of the Fanboy - 4 / 5 stars

Gears 5 once again feels like a safe bet by The Coalition.  You can start to see the developer thinking about new ideas and potential directions that the series can go, but Gears 5 feels largely familiar.  The additions of some new features and a new mode added to the fan-favorites that return make for a robust package though.

TrustedReviews - 4 / 5 stars

Gears 5 is the series' most ambitious entry to date, bringing with it an endless wave of revolutionary ideas that the franchise has been in desperate need of for years. The Coalition's mark has finally been made, and it's one that focuses on narrative importance alongside bright, energetic mechanics that show that Gears 5 can happily stand alongside this generation's other blockbusters without fear. 

Gameblog - French - 8 / 10

Gears 5 is both a very generous and welcoming game. Building on what made the Gears franchise a power house, The Coalition changed the campaign's structure, added useful features to Horde mode, created a fun new coop mode and made the game more accessible for people with disabilities and new players. And it doesn't hurt that the game is really pretty (especially on the Xbox One X) Gears 5 is only being dragged down a bit by a couple technical issues that shouldn't be seen in AAA first party games.

AusGamers - 7.9 / 10

I played the first Gears of War, and right now, Gears 5 has barely changed the flavour of the original. And while the original might have been a revelation, Gears 5 presents as a detriment. 

New Game Network - 73 / 100

Gears 5 offers a familiar action experience that should satisfy fans who gravitate towards its expanded multiplayer options. And yet, the uneven campaign and lack of significant gameplay innovations mean this latest chapter does little to draw in the uninitiated.

Metro GameCentral - 7 / 10

The attempts to innovate in terms of storytelling and structure feel superficial and ineffective, leaving Gears 5 to survive purely on its increasingly overfamiliar action.

GameSpot - 7 / 10

The Coalition adds a lot of smart new ideas to the Gears of War formula in Gears 5.

CGMagazine - 6.5 / 10

Gears of War 5 isn't a bad game, it's just the worst game in the series (I quite liked Judgement). It promised to bring new ideas to the series, and it does, but to the detriment of the game as a whole with how poorly designed they all are. The open-world levels are empty and boring, the story is lackluster after a great first act, and the new Escape mode is a fleeting distraction at best. Gears of War needs changes, but not like this.

USgamer - 3 / 5 stars

Gears 5 survives on its solid cover shooting gameplay and a campaign that isn't afraid to pose difficult questions about problematic topics. But the largely stagnant Horde mode and general mess of an Escape mode really pull the sequel back from being a bold step forward.

PCGamesN - 6 / 10

Familiarly solid cover shooting with the occasional surprise. It's fitting The Coalition has opted to simply call the latest game 'Gears', because mostly, it's just going through the motions.Benjamin Griffin

Polygon - Unscored

Gears 5 is personal, like its predecessor, and insistent in focusing on its characters. It’s thoughtful, and unafraid to stop the action in favor of slower story beats and sections focused on exploration. And those are the parts that I enjoyed the most.

Destructoid - Unscored

Thus far, Gears 5 is shaping up to be a solid Gears game, even if I'm not keen on the new things it's trying.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun - Unscored

Gears 5 left my belly nice and fat, and keen for the next course.

ACG - Buy

"Despite some open world fluff and a story that didn't move me a ton the gameplay is ace."

Skill Up - Unscored

Gears 5 Is So Damn Good...

Worth Playing - Unscored

Although it has a few stumbles, and an obvious setup for Gears 6, the overall campaign package is a satisfying experience whether you’re a long time Gears fan or entirely new to the series.

Player2.net.au - A or higher

Gears 5 offers, in my mind at least, the best game in the franchise yet and that is thanks to the developers feeling comfortable enough to take the game out of its usual wheelhouse. The introduction of the open maps, along with a fantastic story that is sure to make long-time fans jump with glee takes the Gears we know and love and brings it to the next level.

1 hour ago, SFLUFAN said:

That's because there really is ABSOLUTELY ZERO hype for it.

It GENUINELY feels like a "stealth launch".

That's because most of the prominent gaming media channels are pro-Sony and Nintendo. It's not that they don't like Xbox, but big influencers like Kinda Funny Games, Jim Sterling, Angry Joe, etc. will mention an Xbox game in a passing comment, then talk for 20 minutes about Pokemon or some other shit. 

Granted, MS hasn't exactly set the world on fire with their exclusives, but even when they do release a solid title, Giant Bomb will be like "Oh, yeah, it's cool and stuff," then continue to rant and rave about some obscure indie PC game that nobody has ever heard of for the next hour.

I guarantee a similar (or even lesser) title releasing on either of those two systems will garner more discussion and air-time than anything that releases on Xbox.

I realize that makes me sound like a fanboy, but I don't care. I enjoy all my systems, I just game primarily on my Xbox and it's frustrating when I want to hear news or commentary about something coming to the system, but nobody wants to talk about it. I have to go to Xbox-centric sites or listen to Podcast Unlocked if I want any actual information.

I feel it’s more that they screwed the pooch with their E3 presentation and focused so hard on multiplayer in the marketing.  And when not that, story bits.  Those are the biggest reasons that it didn’t get much attention until now.

It turns out the campaign is more Gears with a few smart progression changes and plot twists.  And that’s pretty fun.

13 hours ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

That's because most of the prominent gaming media channels are pro-Sony and Nintendo. It's not that they don't like Xbox, but big influencers like Kinda Funny Games, Jim Sterling, Angry Joe, etc. will mention an Xbox game in a passing comment, then talk for 20 minutes about Pokemon or some other shit. 

Granted, MS hasn't exactly set the world on fire with their exclusives, but even when they do release a solid title, Giant Bomb will be like "Oh, yeah, it's cool and stuff," then continue to rant and rave about some obscure indie PC game that nobody has ever heard of for the next hour.

I guarantee a similar (or even lesser) title releasing on either of those two systems will garner more discussion and air-time than anything that releases on Xbox.

I realize that makes me sound like a fanboy, but I don't care. I enjoy all my systems, I just game primarily on my Xbox and it's frustrating when I want to hear news or commentary about something coming to the system, but nobody wants to talk about it. I have to go to Xbox-centric sites or listen to Podcast Unlocked if I want any actual information.

Thought about this a little more...

Microsoft gets a lot of attention these days.  But the discussion isn't revolving around the things you're hoping for.

There's been tons of talk about Games Pass, cross play, Halo on Steam, Ninja on Mixer, studio purchases, the universal controller, Phil Spencer interviews, the X being the current most powerful console, Switch collaborations, backwards compatibility, raytracing in Minecraft, etc.  Most everyone is on board with their direction as of late, regardless if they buy the consoles or not.  They've positioned themselves as a feel good company that's still in it, in principle, to make gaming more affordable, accessible and platform agnostic.

Why don't journalists put more focus on the games themselves?  The biggest issue I can see is the marketing.  Their E3 presentations haven't leaned in enough on gameplay of their own IP.  When we get those deep dives, they're buried within Inside Xbox presentations that otherwise feel like extended Games Pass ads.

If Microsoft could fix their announcement pipeline, the media would pay them a lot more attention beyond the feel-good lip service.  I'm not sure if that should mean a Direct-style delivery.  But change should happen.  They should have much more to share in the future after all these acquisitions.

The Coalition Studio

9m

Gears 5 Early Access begins on Sept 5th at 9pm in your local time for Microsoft Store purchases and physical copies (Xbox / PC). For Steam players, Early Access begins globally on Sept 5th at 6pm PDT.

So instead of being Midnight EST and 9pm PST, it seems East Coasters get to play first at 9pm.  Lets make this the standard going forward please!

1 minute ago, atom631 said:

Wow. These are surprisingly positive reviews! 

I was always playing this game, with or without bad reviews and gamepass..but this is really good to see. I am actually excited to play it now! 

Will the MP be cross-play?  

The PvP? I think you can opt in or out, not sure.  Co-op stuff is definitely crossplay though.

FYI: If you want to play today before 9pm PT/12am ET and have Game Pass Ultimate you can just change the location on the Xbox to New Zealand and play now. Just the location, not the language, everything works as normal and it just takes a second.

The game starts off with a surprisingly lengthy training tutorial before you even hit the menu that goes over all the mechanics. I just find this odd because I can’t really think of many games that need a training section before you play less than this one.