Gears 5 | Official Thread of It's Gear5 To Me

8 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

Did you set your 4k monitor to 1440p before start up of the game? I have some people have issues where the game stays at the monitor default resolution even after changing it.

The first bench at 1440p, I reduced scaling/rendering to 1440p. Then, that exact thought occurred to me, so I changed my display resolution down to 1440p and ran the bench again with the same results.

I think I may try doing a clean install of the latest drivers, and I’m also suddenly getting some weird issues with HDR not enabling (the screen flashes when I try to enable it, but the slider in display settings won’t move).

The act II “open world” is really good. I feel like it’s just enough side missions where it doesn’t feel overwhelming and make you lose sight of what you’re actually doing.  The side missions are short and sweet and offer a good challenge with a good reward. They work with the story and don’t feel like they are just tacked on and a time filler. 

With that, I think I’m nearing the end of act II and goddamn did I hit a frustrating, difficulty spike. I’m playing on experienced difficulty and I’m at the part where 

Spoiler

You discovered the source of the transmission below the ice. Then have to go to the abandoned mine to get a bomb to take back to that site. So I’m at the entrance to the mine and they are sending an onslaught of little dudes with bombs. Shielded scions. They can flank from both sides and push really hard. I’ve tried like 6 times and keep getting fucking blown up by something. Either the little dudes or a scion. Just when you think you’re done they send another round with multiple shielded enemies. 

This section really feels cheap and a stark contrast to the difficulty of the rest of the game so far. I had to turn it off for now before I send my controller through my tv. Lol 

36 minutes ago, atom631 said:

The act II “open world” is really good. I feel like it’s just enough side missions where it doesn’t feel overwhelming and make you lose sight of what you’re actually doing.  The side missions are short and sweet and offer a good challenge with a good reward. They work with the story and don’t feel like they are just tacked on and a time filler. 

With that, I think I’m nearing the end of act II and goddamn did I hit a frustrating, difficulty spike. I’m playing on experienced difficulty and I’m at the part where 

Hide contents

You discovered the source of the transmission below the ice. Then have to go to the abandoned mine to get a bomb to take back to that site. So I’m at the entrance to the mine and they are sending an onslaught of little dudes with bombs. Shielded scions. They can flank from both sides and push really hard. I’ve tried like 6 times and keep getting fucking blown up by something. Either the little dudes or a scion. Just when you think you’re done they send another round with multiple shielded enemies. 

This section really feels cheap and a stark contrast to the difficulty of the rest of the game so far. I had to turn it off for now before I send my controller through my tv. Lol 

Spoiler

Shoot / blow up the ice out from under the shielded dudes. Instant dunk.

I’m past the point of no return in act 3 now so I’m done with the open world stuff and yeah they did a good job with it side mission wise and the skiff is a fun way to travel. I do hope in Gears 6 they add more interesting things going on in the open world even if it’s just stuff to look at rather than being so barren but at least it makes sense that these places would be. The side missions themselves are all fun, no fetch quests, and have good bits of story and rewards and they don’t make it feel like you are side tracking the main plot.

I think they’ve done a good job at both deepening and filling in the lore and also making it a more personal story as well.

9 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I figured that out on one of my last runs, but i still got blown up. Ill have to try it again. Maybe I need to move out onto the ice and see if there is a spot I can hold down without getting flanked. 

i really dont want to puss out and lower the difficulty. 

2 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

If you upgraded Jack to be able to have 2 shock traps, that helps too. There’s really only 2 spots enemies come at you and trapping both of them buys you some time. The Boltok helps with the juvies if you’ve got one. 

I beat it finally. Fired it up an hour or so ago and did it on my 2nd try. I had to slow down and play more cautious. i was so used to playing pretty aggressive, so the change up to a more defensive approach helped. 

next section was a little tough too, but not nearly as bad.

one thing that sucks is the collectible bug. none of my collectibles have been accounted for other than act II chapters 3 and 4. all others show i never picked any up.  

Final boss of Act II was clearly tested for co-op and not single player. The party member AI is not up to the task of assisting in that battle and it goes from Gears to Dark Souls in an instant when played solo because of that. I can't recall being as angry at any other boss in gaming, at least in recent memory! :angry:

29 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Final boss of Act II was clearly tested for co-op and not single player. The party member AI is not up to the task of assisting in that battle and it goes from Gears to Dark Souls in an instant when played solo because of that. I can't recall being as angry at any other boss in gaming, at least in recent memory! :angry:

well that sounds foreboding. 

53 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Yeah, the AI being a dum dum makes this fight longer than it should be. It’s not harder, I don’t think, since you’re always at risk for a OHKO. 

Just beat it - fantastic game. Easily a 9/10 for me and I am actually super excited for Gears 6 now. I disagree with comments I’ve seen that Act 4 was too short and that it ended abruptly. The pacing seemed fine for me especially since overall it’s like twice as long as the other Gears games. The entire Act 4 was epic and perfectly set up a sequel to be the end of the arc that started with Gears 4, it’s pretty much how I thought it should have gone.

6 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Just got there. Took about 3 tries but had to stop to make kids dinner. I got the hang of the mechanics by the 2nd attempt. On the 3rd I got it halfway. But yeah I agree....the Ai does nothing in this fight. He’s not even shooting at it as far as i can tell. 

Spoiler

The homing spikes that down you in one hit 

Are total cheese. 

2 hours ago, stepee said:

Just beat it - fantastic game. Easily a 9/10 for me and I am actually super excited for Gears 6 now. I disagree with comments I’ve seen that Act 4 was too short and that it ended abruptly. The pacing seemed fine for me especially since overall it’s like twice as long as the other Gears games. The entire Act 4 was epic and perfectly set up a sequel to be the end of the arc that started with Gears 4, it’s pretty much how I thought it should have gone.

Did you play on easy?

Just now, best3444 said:

Did you play on easy?

I played on inexperienced (beginner is the easiest difficulty) it was a good difficulty for me, was able to progress without too much trouble but still was hard enough to kill me, even some spots that were hard for me and took several tries.

• Thanks 1

Yeah the A.I. isn't up to the task on the harder difficulty settings.

I'm playing on Experienced and right now I'm trying to get into a mine, and of course Jack is taking like, an hour to open the door. You have to hold off the swarm on a frozen river and I've probably died no less than 30 times. It's the most infuriating things I've put up with in a game in a very long time. Del's A.I. is not nearly good enough to cover my back and with the Scion's with rockets and those fucking exploding Juvies, it's real easy to have a good run come to an end instantly.

I'm so angry... in my youth I probably would've broken the controller by now.

8 hours ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

Yeah the A.I. isn't up to the task on the harder difficulty settings.

I'm playing on Experienced and right now I'm trying to get into a mine, and of course Jack is taking like, an hour to open the door. You have to hold off the swarm on a frozen river and I've probably died no less than 30 times. It's the most infuriating things I've put up with in a game in a very long time. Del's A.I. is not nearly good enough to cover my back and with the Scion's with rockets and those fucking exploding Juvies, it's real easy to have a good run come to an end instantly.

I'm so angry... in my youth I probably would've broken the controller by now.

lmao - look up a few posts - im playing on the same difficulty and got stuck at the exact same spot. same experience. it was comfortably challenging up until that point and then it changed. i did eventually get past it though..so persevere! 

I beat that sumnabitch! that was definitely a nailbiter, but i thought it was actually a fun fight. the proper loadout made a huge difference. I think the abandoned mine was harder for sure. 

hint: 

Spoiler

maxed shock trap. and stealth. 

throw the shock trap to the side of the snowy areas between the ice patches. she will walk past it and it will zap her. dont throw in the middle bc she will barrel over it and destroy it.  gives you time to get into position or collect ammo. 

in between shock traps, pop stealth to be able to sneak around and collect ammo and give you some space. 

during the 2nd phase when she starts to shoot the spikes, just focus on the timing and dont worry about dunking her. evade and unload in her back when she runs/leaps past you. pop a shock trap or stealth and get outta the area once she starts to turn around.

Towards the back half of Act III, there’s a place where you’re trying to... connect two things. Anyway, two snatchers spawn and I swear the fight was glitched? They have their tail attack which would ALWAYS hit me. Cloaked, the entire way across the map, me dodging as soon as it was telegraphed... didn’t matter, the attack would ALWAYS hit me and I’d go down in one shot. Only way I got through it was hugging an ally so someone was always there for a rez. I cannot imagine that’s how the flight is supposed to go, no other snatcher fight has had that attack be unavoidable.

I’m so furious with this final boss. @Mr.Vic20 is 100% correct in that this game was not play-tested for solo play at all. It’s 100% geared towards co-op. 

Its only fucking hard bc the ai does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

Spoiler

They just stand there and watch when the thing grabs me. And they stand right close to it so they are getting grabbed every fucking time. So I have to dodge, save one or two of em, while the next tentacle is coming at me.  

Complete utter nonsense.

On 9/10/2019 at 3:13 PM, atom631 said:

I beat that sumnabitch! that was definitely a nailbiter, but i thought it was actually a fun fight. the proper loadout made a huge difference. I think the abandoned mine was harder for sure. 

hint: 

Reveal hidden contents

That's the fight I'm on now. I'm hoping there's a better weapon tucked away somewhere, cuz these retro lancers are shit. I'm just chipping away at the boss little by little. It took me a good ten minutes to get to phase two.

50 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

Going into firefights, I basically pretend that my AI buddies don’t exist. I use Jack’s stim to revive when I’m down, because these other motherfuckers will be standing LITERALLY ON TOP OF ME and just let me bleed out. 

The problem with the final boss is that 

Spoiler

stim wont help because you get sucked into its mouth and its insta-death. you dont go down first.