~*Colin Trevorrow's Star Wars: Episode IX - Duel of the Fates OT*~

41 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

That has been since been explained as Kenobi calling him “Darth” sarcastically. lol

like, ‘sure thing “Captain”. ‘

I know, but because I know that's something we made up to make sense of it, it's still out of place. :p 

2 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Yeah that jumped out to me too this time... although when I was a dumb kid, I always thought his name was "Dark" Vader... because his suit was all black and he was evil. Like Dark Phoenix :p

Lol I thought the same thing when I was a kid because I misheard his name. 

4 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

So I made the mistake of arguing with someone online about TLJ. They said what completely ruined the movie for them was the message of Canto Bight, that people were profiteering from the war. I asked him why this was an issue, expecting it was because he thought a political message was inserted into Star Wars. No, his issue was the very idea that war is profitable. He said that war is not that profitable. I of course gave historical examples otherwise (including from today), and he then changed it to civil wars not being profitable. Then he changed it to civil wars aren't profitable if you have a company inside the nation. I then of course mentioned that during the US Civil War there were companies that made money. Then he changed it to civil wars aren't profitable if you have a company inside the nation that sells to both sides at the same time, and thought he won the argument because I couldn't cite an example from the US Civil War where a single company sold to both the Union and the Confederates. I was like, man, if that is the reason you find TLJ so unbelievable, that someone could sell X-Wings to the rebels at the same time as selling TIEs to the Imps even by using laundering or whatever...what the hell do you think about the idea of people using their minds to move rocks, lol.

Some people just hate for the sake of hate.

Some of the TLJ haters are legit morons and clearly know nothing about film and simple plot and character arcs. 

Yo if you wanna not "take away from the twins finally being together," maybe don't have them be together in some shit tier CGI earlier in the movie, you boob.

Also, if only we'd gotten a truly tender scene with them in the last movie. Oh... wait.

Lastly beautiful and peaceful place, do these hacks even watch this fucking series.

latest?cb=20160121043333

3 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I mean... it’s peaceful now. 

Mass graves are peaceful in their own way I suppose.

EDIT - Also you know what I find peaceful? Old bitches screaming questions about my family name from horseback when they're randomly traversing a desert so shitty that farming moisture is a viable profession.

Solid video. I don’t agree 100% with what he’s saying but a lot of it rings true. 

The Chewie nostalgia moment, I know it was just an example, I think is fine. That’s the kind of 5 second fan service that I think is great and fun. 

I’m curious his full views on TFA. Imo that movie is great. Of course it has its issues but I think in terms of what was needed to relaunch Star Wars it was pretty close to perfect and the nostalgia and parallels to ANH he uses throughout work perfectly. 

I need to watch RoS again. My expectations coming off of TLJ(in terms of story not film quality) definitely got in the way. But as it stands I agree with him. In my mind, The Last Jedi is the PERFECT ending to the entire saga and for me that’s where I’m pretending it stopped. 

4 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

Solid video. I don’t agree 100% with what he’s saying but a lot of it rings true. 

The Chewie nostalgia moment, I know it was just an example, I think is fine. That’s the kind of 5 second fan service that I think is great and fun. 

I’m curious his full views on TFA. Imo that movie is great. Of course it has its issues but I think in terms of what was needed to relaunch Star Wars it was pretty close to perfect and the nostalgia and parallels to ANH he uses throughout work perfectly. 

I need to watch RoS again. My expectations coming off of TLJ(in terms of story not film quality) definitely got in the way. But as it stands I agree with him. In my mind, The Last Jedi is the PERFECT ending to the entire saga and for me that’s where I’m pretending it stopped. 

YES.

It really, really is. 4 - 8 is a fantastic run by itself. I'll even add 3 just for the Palp/Anakin scenes, Order 66, Palpatine's announcement of the Empire and Sidious vs Yoda just to see everything go to hell.

If we consider 8 the ending, I'd prefer slight changes to give some resolution. Maybe have the FO be losing control of systems or something, and have Ben Solo have lost his force abilities (and thus political power). Obviously as it ended, the FO is about to rule the galaxy and we don't know what happens next. But I agree that I'd rather consider 8 the ending than 9. God, I wish Johnson had accepted IX when it was offered to him. I know he didn't because they were still insisting on a 2-year turnaround, but if Disney could have changed it to 3 or 4...imagine what kind of conclusion we could have gotten.

56 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

If we consider 8 the ending, I'd prefer slight changes to give some resolution. Maybe have the FO be losing control of systems or something, and have Ben Solo have lost his force abilities (and thus political power). Obviously as it ended, the FO is about to rule the galaxy and we don't know what happens next. 

But it's not. We know they will rebuild based on Leia and Rey's conversation, and we see a new generation of people inspired by the myth of Luke as the boy at the end stares with hope at the one Resistance ship in the sky and reveals a Resistance logo. "The spark that'll light the fire that will burn the First Order down."

You could actually end it there, though obviously that's not standard. An RJ Episode 9 would have been badass, but alas.

TFA is what made TROS possible. It's at best the MCU version of a Star Wars film and doesn't feel like the OT trilogy at all. TROS is TFA on steroids and TROS only makes TFA look worse in retrospect. I remember coming out of TFA going: "I guess that's Star Wars movies now" and realized the entire vibe and energy of Star Wars had been permanently shifted into a different direction by JJ Abrams. At least parts of the prequels still felt like Star Wars. There are so many scenes in the OT where there's just sci fi gizmo sounds and the movies slow down. The original was (A New Hope) inspired, in part, by David Lean epics like Lawrence of Arabia (hence the epic grandeur and slow feeling of parts of A New Hope and all the desert stuff). TFA just barrels forward, and it established a whole new tone for Star Wars. I miss the tone of the OT. I remember there's a scene early in The Mandalorian where Mando and Baby Yoda are just sitting in his ship the Razor Crest and it's just a long shot of no dialogue of him pressing gizmos and buttons that make noises with no background or accompanying music and I was like: this is Star Wars. That's how it's supposed to "feel".

JJ decided the direction of this new trilogy with TFA and the minute TFA is what it was (a fast-paced action adventure movie ala Pirates of the Caribbean) and not something bigger, grander, more classical like the OT movies when it should have carried that tone, that atmosphere, that legacy. TFA was actually pretty entertaining when I watched it again right before TROS but it's just another entertaining movie at best. But it gets knocked even more points because it was establishing the tone and vibe of a whole trilogy, and it was the wrong one to go with. Not only did it somewhat pigeonhole TLJ, TROS shows it was the wrong way to go.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

TFA is what made TROS possible. It's at best the MCU version of a Star Wars film and doesn't feel like the OT trilogy at all. TROS is TFA on steroids and TROS only makes TFA look worse in retrospect. I remember coming out of TFA going: "I guess that's Star Wars movies now" and realized the entire vibe and energy of Star Wars had been permanently shifted into a different direction by JJ Abrams. At least parts of the prequels still felt like Star Wars. There are so many scenes in the OT where there's just sci fi gizmo sounds and the movies slow down. The original was (A New Hope) inspired, in part, by David Lean epics like Lawrence of Arabia (hence the epic grandeur and slow feeling of parts of A New Hope and all the desert stuff). TFA just barrels forward, and it established a whole new tone for Star Wars. I miss the tone of the OT. I remember there's a scene early in The Mandalorian where Mando and Baby Yoda are just sitting in his ship the Razor Crest and it's just a long shot of no dialogue of him pressing gizmos and buttons that make noises with no background or accompanying music and I was like: this is Star Wars. That's how it's supposed to "feel".

JJ decided the direction of this new trilogy with TFA and the minute TFA is what it was (a fast-paced action adventure movie ala Pirates of the Caribbean) and not something bigger, grander, more classical like the OT movies when it should have carried that tone, that atmosphere, that legacy. TFA was actually pretty entertaining when I watched it again right before TROS but it's just another entertaining movie at best. But it gets knocked even more points because it was establishing the tone and vibe of a whole trilogy, and it was the wrong one to go with. Not only did it somewhat pigeonhole TLJ, TROS shows it was the wrong way to go.

The best part of TFA is Rey's introduction, and I attribute a lot of how good it is to how slow it is. We get to see Rey just scavenging and walking around and eating, and it's great. With the TLJ, the same best stuff (again) are the slower moments with just characters and dialogue and not a lot going on. Luke and Rey on Ahch-To is pure goodness. Not to say the other stuff is bad, I think the bombing sequence at the beginning is some of the best tension in Star Wars as well, and the throne room fight may be the best fight sequence.

ROS just failed to have any scenes like those ones. The scene with Ben and Han on Not-Forest-Moon is the closest we get. Or maybe Poe and Kerri Russel in their 30-second chat. ROS could have cut out the entire mcguffin chase in the first half of the movie and replaced it with Rey just "sensing" something at Endor (DSII wayfinder) and used that extra time for growth and character moments.

I honestly feel TFA feels more like parts of the OT than the prequels did. All the dialogue, for example, particularly in 2 and 3, feel more like a soap opera.

But I also think that many of the movies have a distinctive feel to them. 4 and 5 are just way different in my dumbass opinion.

9 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Forgive me if this has been posted already.

This is really fucking good. This is what confused me about the movie. I thought, if anything, 9 may have a similar vibe to 7, but it rushed through everything.

• Thanks 1

Also, incredibly, there is a chance in a few weeks that Knives Out may gross more than ROS due to KO's incredible staying power. Last week it dropped 5% and this week 9%. This weekend ROS dropped 59% to $33 million while KO only dropped 9%, to $9 million. If that happens for the next few weeks:

ROS - $13 million

KO - $8 million

ROS - $5 million

KO - $7 million

9 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Forgive me if this has been posted already.

The part that hits home about this video is describing how JJ structures so many of his "scenes":

• Good guys talking, almost creating a real scene 
  • Bad guys show up and interrupt with action
  • Everyone runs

ROS was this, over and over.

2 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

The best part of TFA is Rey's introduction, and I attribute a lot of how good it is to how slow it is. We get to see Rey just scavenging and walking around and eating, and it's great. With the TLJ, the same best stuff (again) are the slower moments with just characters and dialogue and not a lot going on. Luke and Rey on Ahch-To is pure goodness. Not to say the other stuff is bad, I think the bombing sequence at the beginning is some of the best tension in Star Wars as well, and the throne room fight may be the best fight sequence.

ROS just failed to have any scenes like those ones. The scene with Ben and Han on Not-Forest-Moon is the closest we get. Or maybe Poe and Kerri Russel in their 30-second chat. ROS could have cut out the entire mcguffin chase in the first half of the movie and replaced it with Rey just "sensing" something at Endor (DSII wayfinder) and used that extra time for growth and character moments.

I agree with you on every point. Pacing is a lot of it as well. Pacing, tone, atmosphere - if you're trying to emulate an iconic work by making a sequel to it, those come first - it's in part why Blade Runner 2049 is such a good sequel to an iconic work - it's updated, but absolutely still maintains and nails the atmosphere and tone the first film set. TFA doesn't feel like Star Wars once the action starts happening for the most part (all the slow Rey stuff, as you said). 

2 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

I honestly feel TFA feels more like parts of the OT than the prequels did. All the dialogue, for example, particularly in 2 and 3, feel more like a soap opera.

But I also think that many of the movies have a distinctive feel to them. 4 and 5 are just way different in my dumbass opinion.

The prequels also didn't often feel like Star Wars either, and I think most of the prequel stuff is garbage so I agree with you that by comparison TFA often feels more Star Wars in moments. However, it's problems run deeper - the OT trilogy is a relatively darker set of films in terms of color saturation, color grading, etc. - everything about TFA feels overly bright and shiny and aggressive. TFA's color grading, etc. just feels cranked way up compared to the OT. Compare this to Blade Runner with Blade Runner 2049, where the color saturation of both films is different, but in the same mold, tone, feel, etc.

TFA is a rollicking fun adventure film with Star Wars moments, no doubt. But it doesn't feel like the OT, it moves so fast, so ceaselessly, with all the emotions of all scenes pumped up to 11. The OT doesn't feel like that - it has action at times, and silly moments at times, but the beats are different, slower. If you think about it not a lot happens in A New Hope (in terms of plot - Luke goes to Alderaan/Death Star, Leia then takes him to her home base, then final attack on Death Star), but because of its pace, you feel like you've really become these characters. So much red/blue whiz-bang action and amped up pacing in TFA makes the film fly by in an exciting, entertaining way, no doubt, but that isn't Star Wars, and setting that kind of tone for Star Wars has hampered the success of this sequel trilogy from the start.

It's why people like Rogue One more almost implicitly even if the plot and characters per se are a bit rushed - because it feels lived-in, grand, epic, there are many slow moments amongst all the action. But even more importantly, the film is significantly more desaturated in color. Rogue One feels most like the OT not just because it takes place during the OT era but because at times it understands the feel of Star Wars. The Mandalorian gets this too - and that's because Gareth Edwards and Jon Favreu are better filmmakers than JJ Abrams. Oddly enough even parts of Solo got it right, particularly the opening text, which felt perfectly Star Wars (literally, I think the opening text crawl and very beginning of Solo nail Star Wars, otherwise that movie was pretty rough). I rewatch the OT trilogy once a year since I was a kid (more or less), I understand the filmmaking bones of those films at least well enough to have recognized on one watch of TFA in the theaters that there was a fundamental shift in what "Star Wars" was anymore - it was now a different, but equally failed attempt and misunderstanding of what makes a Star Wars film - George Lucas did it somewhat on purpose with the PT, but JJ Abrams seems to have misunderstood what makes a Star Wars film feel like a Star Wars film, separate from story and characters; I'm talking about from a technical filmmaking point of view. It's an overly lit, bright mess for the most part and watching the OT and jumping into TFA is always very jarring, and not just because the OT is old and TFA new. When I watched Blade Runner 2049 for the first time, as a big fan of the first and watching the first right before going to see it, it felt far more seamless, knowing it was also of course updated, than the OT to TFA. I hope this clarifies my point about how TFA ended the ability of the ST to be like the OT from the start (in the right, more subtle ways). :)

TD;DR - In the same ways JJ Abrams' Star Trek movies don't "feel" like the Star Trek movies of old at all, similarly JJ Abrams' Star Wars movies don't "feel" like the Star Wars movies of old either. And not in a good way in any of those cases for the most part. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

More Force Powers Most don't know exist

FORCE HEALING

Before Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker hit theaters, director J.J. Abrams revealed that new Force powers wielded in the film might take fans by surprise. The most prevalent “new” ability—and one most vital to the story—was a Force healing ability we’ve not seen in Star Wars films before, although viewers did see it in action for the first time in that week’s episode of The Mandalorian. Not only can the ability heal wounds and save lives by transferring a bit of the user's Force energy into another, The Rise of Skywalker Visual Dictionary suggested that Rey used a similar technique to restore the shattered kyber crystal in the Skywalker lightsaber.

ENERGY ABSORPTION

One ability you’ve seen before is energy absorption, but you probably didn’t realize that only a few Jedi have mastered its use. Some Jedi could dissipate the energy they came in contact with without suffering any harm. Most notably, Yoda used this ability in Attack of the Clones to “catch” the Force lightning his former Padawan Count Dooku unleashed. Darth Vader used a similar Dark Side ability to absorb Han Solo’s blaster bolts on Bespin. The Daughter, the living embodiment of the Light Side of the Force, was also able to deflect and absorb Force lightning in The Clone Wars episode “Altar of Mortis.”

PSYCHOMETRY

Reading a person’s past through an object is an ability a few notable Force-sensitive people can use—but it is not always a pleasant experience. Quinlan Vos of The Clone Wars, Cal Kestis of Jedi: Fallen Order, and Karr Nuq Sin of the young adult novel Force Collector each had the ability to unlock the truths of the past through psychometry.

TELEPATHY

Seen frequently in the original trilogy, some Force-sensitives with a strong bond to others were able to use that connection to speak telepathically. Darth Vader sent pleas to Luke Skywalker through telepathy, and Luke’s close bond to Leia allowed him to call to her on Bespin. Some Jedi were also skilled in telepathy without such a link, like naturally telepathic Jedi Council member Saesee Tiin and Mace Windu, who once used the Force to call to his fellow Jedi for aid during a mission. Dark Side wielders like Emperor Palpatine, Supreme Leader Snoke, and Kylo Ren were also able to pull the thoughts, emotions, and memories of unwilling subjects.

JEDI SPEED

Seen all too briefly at the beginning of The Phantom Menace as Qui-Gon Jinn and Obi-Wan Kenobi escape droidekas, Jedi were able to increase their speed and reflexes substantially for short bursts. Jedi Knights and Masters in The Clone Wars also demonstrated this ability, like Anakin Skywalker in the episode “Defenders of Peace.”

A Force user's control over speed can also have the opposite effect. For Cal Kestis, hero of Jedi: Fallen Order, using this ability makes objects in motion or even his opponents move in slow motion.

CREATURE CONNECTIONS

Seen all too briefly at the beginning of The Phantom Menace as Qui-Gon Jinn and Obi-Wan Kenobi escape droidekas, Jedi were able to increase their speed and reflexes substantially for short bursts. Jedi Knights and Masters in The Clone Wars also demonstrated this ability, like Anakin Skywalker in the episode “Defenders of Peace.”

A Force user's control over speed can also have the opposite effect. For Cal Kestis, hero of Jedi: Fallen Order, using this ability makes objects in motion or even his opponents move in slow motion.

BATTLE MEDITATION

Meditation was part of almost every Jedi’s arsenal as they attuned their connection to the Force, but some were able to focus their thoughts into action. Master Yoda and Qui-Gon Jinn were both known to quickly calm their emotions and fall into a trance state during a battle before leaping into the fray. Meditative trances could also lead to hearing the voices of the past or visions of the future, as Luke Skywalker was dismayed to discover on Dagobah.

TANDEM FIGHTING

Although not as deep of a connection as a dyad in the Force, some Masters and Padawans were able to form a bond so close that their thoughts and movements were in sync. Master Luminara Unduli and her Padawan Bariss Offee were one such pair and formed a formidable team.

MORICHRO

Some aspects of the Force were so dangerously powerful that only a few Jedi Masters are allowed to study them. One such ancient practice was known as “morichro,” slowing down a creature’s body functions almost to the point of death. As the Jedi Order reached its last days, Master Yaddle was one of a select few granted permission to study the potentially deadly ability.

TIME TRAVEL

Yes, Star Wars has time travel, and yes, it’s canon. First seen in Star Wars Rebels and mentioned briefly in the texts Rey is studying in The Rise of Skywalker, the World Between Worlds -- also known as the Vergence Scatter -- was a place beyond space and time. A nexus of Force power accessed through the Jedi temple on Lothal, this plane granted pathways to other times and places. Using one such pathway Ezra Bridger was able to cross time to rescue Ahsoka Tano from her fateful confrontation with Darth Vader. While it will likely never be seen again as the surrounding temple collapsed, the World Between Worlds is one of the most intriguing and tantalizing new Force aspects we’ve seen in recent years.

5 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

I’ve been eyeing 515-520 for ROS for about a week now. Maybe Disney will release a slightly longer cut later on to try and goose the numbers a bit, but I have a hard time seeing a path for ROS as anything but the #4 Disney Star Wars film at the BO.

It will be another step in the fetch quest. They'll need to put together 7 jewels to form a big jewel to open door to find a map to some other thing.

Or maybe they'll squeeze in a few more fake deaths of main characters.

Medals for C-3P0 and R2D2?

A new scene where the Emperor also raises a 10,000 planet killing AT-ATs from a desert or something.

Flashback sex scene with the emperor.

• Haha 2