~*Colin Trevorrow's Star Wars: Episode IX - Duel of the Fates OT*~

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Do we know why Treverrow was fired?

I believe the official word was that there were creative differences between him and the executive producers at Lucasfilm over his script. Which of course means it was dogshit. Makes me wonder how bad that movie would have been. 

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

Did we ever find out what his version was? Before, I was like, "Well, I'd have preferred Rian Johnson, but JJ Abrams will probably make a fun, good ending to the trilogy!" But now I actually wouldn't mind hearing what Trevorrow was doing.

He hasn't said anything, and we probably won't hear anything for a few years. I too would be interested just in a morbid curiosity what he had planned. 

I can believe that Disney dug into this movie far too much, not wanting a repeat of the Last Jedi backlash. Disney certainly has a history of it. The movie definitely seems to have some connective tissue cut out of it. I also believe this was originally a much longer film, and Abrams and Terrio wanted to split in two.  But there is absolutely no doubt that this is JJ's movie, and he's the one responsible for it in the end. 

We'll definitely find out more about it in a year or so. 

4 hours ago, TheGreatGamble said:

I can believe that Disney dug into this movie far too much, not wanting a repeat of the Last Jedi backlash. Disney certainly has a history of it. The movie definitely seems to have some connective tissue cut out of it. I also believe this was originally a much longer film, and Abrams and Terrio wanted to split in two.  But there is absolutely no doubt that this is JJ's movie, and he's the one responsible for it in the end. 

Not possible! 

5 hours ago, TheGreatGamble said:

Do they? Even with the Star Wars flicks, they’ve replaced people with other filmmakers when they didn’t think the film was coming together. It’s never been the suits just dictating things.

And we got all the dirt on Rogue One and Solo practically in real time when they shadow fired Edwards and outright fired Lord and Miller. I think if there was something going on under the surface, the muck rakers at the trades would have already caught wind and been peppering coverage with coded talk of “troubled production”.

I think we mostly got what JJ wanted to produce, but the abbreviated schedule led to the worst of his habits being showcased most prominently.

On 12/26/2019 at 1:15 PM, Kleon333 said:

I'll just say I thought TROS was good as a standalone sequel to TFA. I basically view them as a 2-movie duology with tons of unanswered questions and bad storytelling. They are fun to watch, but you have to pretend that everything in Episodes 1-6 didn't happen and don't really matter.

I'd rank the movies 4, 6, 3, 5, 1, 2, rogue one, solo, 9, 7, the christmas special, 8.

You just closed your eyes and randomly entered numbers, didn’t you. 

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Do they? Even with the Star Wars flicks, they’ve replaced people with other filmmakers when they didn’t think the film was coming together. It’s never been the suits just dictating things.

And we got all the dirt on Rogue One and Solo practically in real time when they shadow fired Edwards and outright fired Lord and Miller. I think if there was something going on under the surface, the muck rakers at the trades would have already caught wind and been peppering coverage with coded talk of “troubled production”.

I think we mostly got what JJ wanted to produce, but the abbreviated schedule led to the worst of his habits being showcased most prominently.

Yeah I think the internet Stans-I-mean-fans are going to be disappointed when an eventual director's cut is released and it makes the film worse not better. Same with the folks thinking Snyder's cut is gonna solve the problems with Justice League.

4 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

So I have come up with my rankings

ESB, TLJ, RO, ROS, ROTJ, TFA, Solo, ANH, ROTS, TPM, AOTC. 

With tv shows. 

ESB, Rebels, Clone Wars, TLJ, RO, ROS, ROTJ, TFA, Mandalorian, Solo, ANH, ROTS, TPM, AOTC. 

That's some interesting rankings there. You put Solo over a new hope, huh?

4 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

So I have come up with my rankings

ESB, TLJ, RO, ROS, ROTJ, TFA, Solo, ANH, ROTS, TPM, AOTC. 

With tv shows. 

ESB, Rebels, Clone Wars, TLJ, RO, ROS, ROTJ, TFA, Mandalorian, Solo, ANH, ROTS, TPM, AOTC. 

spacer.png

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

That's some interesting rankings there. You put Solo over a new hope, huh?

A New Hope was ground braking for its time, sure. Sure it introduces you to the Galaxy if Star Wars, but it is also the fuzziest the Force, the characters, and the story has ever been when compared to even ESB and ROTJ. Even Lucas’s  explanation for things in AH has changed over the time. The fight between Vader and Kenobi was at one time explained that they were really fighting on another plane of existence we couldn’t see. Then just an old guy and a broken man that could barely move. That broken man was suddenly significantly more capable in ESB. 

I’m not saying it AH is bad. It just doesn’t hold up as well as others when viewing the collection as a whole. At least that is my opinion. 

Just now, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

A New Hope was ground braking for its time, sure. Sure it introduces you to the Galaxy if Star Wars, but it is also the fuzziest the Force, the characters, and the story has ever been when compared to even ESB and ROTJ. Even Lucas’s  explanation for things in AH has changed over the time. The fight between Vader and Kenobi was at one time explained that they were really fighting on another plane of existence we couldn’t see. Then just an old guy and a broken man that could barely move. That broken man was suddenly significantly more capable in ESB. 

I’m not saying it AH is bad. It just doesn’t hold up as well as others when viewing the collection as a whole. At least that is my opinion. 

The Obi-Wan/Vader duel doesn't hold up at all, but the rest of the movie definitely does. Just watched it the other day with my niece and it is such a tight, well executed script that just KEEPS moving. That one movie accomplished so much and still managed to tell a tight story. Have you ever seen this?

Disney should just buy this and put it into the film :p

3 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

The Obi-Wan/Vader duel doesn't hold up at all, but the rest of the movie definitely does. Just watched it the other day with my niece and it is such a tight, well executed script that just KEEPS moving. That one movie accomplished so much and still managed to tell a tight story. Have you ever seen this?

Disney should just buy this and put it into the film :p

I have seen it. I rather enjoy it. My one major critic would be I have liked the idea that Vader and Obi-Wan were feeling each other out. Which is the narrative given to the canon fight now. So I think this would have been a bit better had the there been a little bit of a build up as they each get a sense of the other’s skill. In canon Vader was quite nervous, worried he’d make a similar mistake and Kenobi would end him. 

so it would be interesting to see a little testing each other before Vader goes full speed in on the fight. 

otherwise the fight lines up more with Vader in Rogue One than the current film. 

I don’t dislike NH. But even from the principal cast, when compared the the later films, they don’t quite have the characters yet. It’s little tings here and there and George, his team, and many creative people over the years have ironed out. 

it is no surprise that the extended content has spent more time explaining what happens IN a new hope more than any other. Because the concepts in a new hope had not fully developed yet. Just the case of being the first film out. 

For example, I love TNG, but the first season is not it’s strongest season. Same with Clone Wars. I still will watch them from beginning to end and love the series as a whole. 

On 12/26/2019 at 11:15 AM, Kleon333 said:

I'll just say I thought TROS was good as a standalone sequel to TFA. I basically view them as a 2-movie duology with tons of unanswered questions and bad storytelling. They are fun to watch, but you have to pretend that everything in Episodes 1-6 didn't happen and don't really matter.

I'd rank the movies 4, 6, 3, 5, 1, 2, rogue one, solo, 9, 7, the christmas special, 8.

:lol:

11 hours ago, IdeaOfEvil said:

The SC38 video is good, but still misses some beats that ANH set up. The saber fighting is too fast, and it leaves Vader's comments about Obi-Wan being weak and an old man kinda hollow.

Not to me... just because he called Obi-Wan weak and old doesn't mean Obi-Wan has to LITERALLY fight like a weak old man. I always took that line to mean that Vader was saying that Obi-Wan was weak and old relative to who he was the last time they fought which we now know was nearly 20 years prior. I dunno, I grew up watching Kung Fu movies where old men fought like young dudes. The saber fight in ANH was ALWAYS weak as hell and the only thing that made it remotely cool was the editing and story. And the fact that they were fighting with freaking light sabers which were and are, some of the coolest movie weapons ever created for the screen. ANH has the weakest saber duel in the whole series and I think this fan video does a good job of striking a balance between the three different styles of Saber combat we've seen in various series.

The best part about the fight is the end. No, not a, "Yes, because it's over!" reason, but just that Obi-Wan's death is memorable and something we all remember.

What doesn't age well is the, "Only a master of evil, Darth." Nobody in the other movies calls a Sith "Darth," which seemed like a first name at the time and not a designation.

So I made the mistake of arguing with someone online about TLJ. They said what completely ruined the movie for them was the message of Canto Bight, that people were profiteering from the war. I asked him why this was an issue, expecting it was because he thought a political message was inserted into Star Wars. No, his issue was the very idea that war is profitable. He said that war is not that profitable. I of course gave historical examples otherwise (including from today), and he then changed it to civil wars not being profitable. Then he changed it to civil wars aren't profitable if you have a company inside the nation. I then of course mentioned that during the US Civil War there were companies that made money. Then he changed it to civil wars aren't profitable if you have a company inside the nation that sells to both sides at the same time, and thought he won the argument because I couldn't cite an example from the US Civil War where a single company sold to both the Union and the Confederates. I was like, man, if that is the reason you find TLJ so unbelievable, that someone could sell X-Wings to the rebels at the same time as selling TIEs to the Imps even by using laundering or whatever...what the hell do you think about the idea of people using their minds to move rocks, lol.

Some people just hate for the sake of hate.

2 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

So I made the mistake of arguing with someone online about TLJ.

Some people just hate for the sake of hate.

1. I’m glad you realized this was a mistake :p

2. while this certainly could be the case, I feel more often that people like or dislike something and then try and come up with reasons for why the film/show/game/etc. is good/bad. It isn’t good enough to have their preference of the thing, they need to hold the “correct” opinion of it.

19 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

The best part about the fight is the end. No, not a, "Yes, because it's over!" reason, but just that Obi-Wan's death is memorable and something we all remember.

What doesn't age well is the, "Only a master of evil, Darth." Nobody in the other movies calls a Sith "Darth," which seemed like a first name at the time and not a designation.

Yeah that jumped out to me too this time... although when I was a dumb kid, I always thought his name was "Dark" Vader... because his suit was all black and he was evil. Like Dark Phoenix :p

Just now, sblfilms said:

2. while this certainly could be the case, I feel more often that people like or dislike something and then try and come up with reasons for why the film/show/game/etc. is good/bad. It isn’t good enough to have their preference of the thing, they need to hold the “correct” opinion of it.

Exactly right... sometimes you just don't like something and that's okay. Like I don't and have never liked Tupac and while I have my reasons, when people find out and try to debate me I usually just shut the argument down by saying "I don't LIKE the mother fucker... never did and never will. End of story."

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

1. I’m glad you realized this was a mistake :p

I mean, I need something to do to kill the time, lol.

Yes, I think this is the case. So much of what fandom is nowadays is based on the idea of being on the winning team. It's not enough to enjoy something, you have to love it, and it has to be the best. I didn't really like ROS, and I really liked TLJ, but I simply thought TFA was okay, because I don't like how generic and safe the second half is. But if I mention that about TFA, I am lumped into some immutable category.

6 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I mean, I need something to do to kill the time, lol.

Yes, I think this is the case. So much of what fandom is nowadays is based on the idea of being on the winning team. It's not enough to enjoy something, you have to love it, and it has to be the best. I didn't really like ROS, and I really liked TLJ, but I simply thought TFA was okay, because I don't like how generic and safe the second half is. But if I mention that about TFA, I am lumped into some immutable category.

Shit, I've been called a corporate shill for DARING to like the Marvel movies... forget the fact I've loved these characters my entire life and seeing them brought to life on screen is my ten year old self's dream come true and that I legit enjoy the movies for what they are. Nope "You're a pawn of the evil corporate empire!" or some silly reductive shit. It's a good thing give ZERO FUCKS about what people online think of me... or else my feelings might be hurt :(

:troll:

1 hour ago, SaysWho? said:

That has been since been explained as Kenobi calling him “Darth” sarcastically. lol

like, ‘sure thing “Captain”. ‘