Hong Kong tourist falls hundreds of feet into Grand Canyon while attempting to snap a photo, 2nd death this week. EDIT: Fifth death now

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/2-people-dead-grand-canyon-after-2-incidents-single-week-n988691

The fall happened earlier Thursday when not many visitors are at Eagle Point, a remote site best known for the Skywalk, a horse-shoe shaped glass bridge that juts out from the canyon wall. The rim has some ledges and outcroppings below but no barrier between tourists and the edge.

The man in his 50s was taking photos when he stumbled and fell, Leibowitz said. Signs at Eagle Point warn tourists not to get too close to the edge.

The area is closed for the day, Leibowitz said. He extended the tribe's prayers to the man's family.

Meanwhile, authorities at Grand Canyon National Park — about 95 miles east — were working to identify a person believed to be a foreign national. A body was found Tuesday evening in a wooded area south of Grand Canyon Village away from the rim, the park said.

The person's relatives haven't been notified, and the cause of death is unclear, park spokeswoman Vanessa Ceja-Cervantes said. The National Park Service and the local medical examiner's office are investigating.

For the Hong Kong tourist, the fall happened around here:

190328-skywalk-grand-canyon-ew-843p_e951

5 minutes ago, LazyPiranha said:

Wait, I’m confused.  It says there’s no barrier, but there’s clearly a metal bar and glass panels.  Was he waking at the edge of the canyon next to the walkway?

It's weirdly worded. I think the article's saying the site has the bridge, but the guy was on the edge of the actual canyon.

My family visited the Grand Canyon when I was a kid, and I remember being shocked that there wasn't a fence or anything. We got off the tour bus and it was just... there. Some people went right up to the edge, but I was terrified of falling in (justifiably so, apparently). 

22 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

My family visited the Grand Canyon when I was a kid, and I remember being shocked that there wasn't a fence or anything. We got off the tour bus and it was just... there. Some people went right up to the edge, but I was terrified of falling in (justifiably so, apparently). 

I'm a lot better with being high up on places now, but if I get close to a high ledge (even with a barrier), I always feel this weird force, as if I'm gonna stumble on air and fall off the edge.

14 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

I'm a lot better with being high up on places now, but if I get close to a high ledge (even with a barrier), I always feel this weird force, as if I'm gonna stumble on air and fall off the edge.

An urge to fall (against all common sense) is called "L'appel du vide," the call of the void.

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

An urge to fall (against all common sense) is called "L'appel du vide," the call of the void.

The French are so funny. Yeah the believe when you are afraid of hights you are really afraid you will listen to L’appel du vide and jump, like a siren call. 

They also have a name for the voice in your head that tries to convince you to drive your car into a ditch or road barricade. 

2 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

The French are so funny. Yeah the believe when you are afraid of hights you are really afraid you will listen to L’appel du vide and jump, like a siren call. 

They also have a name for the voice in your head that tries to convince you to drive your car into a ditch or road barricade. 

Intrusive thoughts are a real thing doe. 

Third one dies

A tourist fell to his death in Grand Canyon National Park on Wednesday morning, officials said, the third person to die at the canyon in the past eight days.

The 67-year-old man fell about 400 feet from the canyon's South Rim, east of the Yavapai Geology Museum, just before noon, according to the National Park Service. Authorities did not say how the man fell.

• 3 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

I can't look it up right now, but.... is this normal? Because if it is, it shouldn't be, and if not, what's going on this year besides sheer bad luck?

Bruh, there's a few things that have been going on these past few years that would cause people to start literally begin walking and falling off of cliffs. :p :|:(

• Sad 1