~~ CEB Community Thread ~~

Things might be looking up though...A good friend referred me for a position at a clean energy company based in New York, and the early discussions have been promising. Best part is they don't prorate salaries for remote employees, so I could be looking at a substantial pay increase if things go well.

• Like 2

My wife is having a hysterectomy today. They just took her back and when the loopy drugs hit she started singing “I’m proud to be an American” so we are off on the right foot

She's out, doc says all good. Will be in recovery for another hour and then into her room. She requested Kill Bill 1 and 2 for the entertainment this evening. I love this woman ❤️

3 hours ago, sblfilms said:

My wife is having a hysterectomy today. They just took her back and when the loopy drugs hit she started singing “I’m proud to be an American” so we are off on the right foot

My wife is going to get one soon.  Hopefully she sings some good songs too. 

1 hour ago, Anathema- said:

Uggggghhhh an interesting, dynamic, beautiful, charming detached home on some real land just off of old town is available here and affordable too but only because there's no central air or heat :/

Do it. Ductless air service can be a thing. My neighbor's house just had radiators and window units when he passed away. His family sold it to a lady and she renovated the house with a more open concept and ductless heating/cooling. 

6 minutes ago, CayceG said:

Do it. Ductless air service can be a thing. My neighbor's house just had radiators and window units when he passed away. His family sold it to a lady and she renovated the house with a more open concept and ductless heating/cooling. 

I had to look up ductless heating and cooling to only realize it's what I have in one of my rooms, and it's what a friend of mine has as well. They work great, mine can do heat or cooling but it's a secondary unit for myself and my friends house. 

I agree, don't let this be a hangup. Some previous owner of my home also ran central air with ducts sometimes after the house was built. All it's done for me is just take up some closet space in the upstairs rooms, though I understand it can be expensive (depending on the house) to do this.

2 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

Yeah the expense is the issue. I wouldn't even theoretically object to just having naked ducts but 400k is just at the limit of what I can afford. 

That's a nice looking house, but I have no idea how many ductless units it would need or what the cost would be. 

I like how one of the pics in the basement has 3 window AC units stacked under a workbench. 

I have no experience with those or with radiators. I'd be anxious about it. 

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

So did you disappear for the engagement and start hanging around again now that you have it locked down? :p

Nope only got married in November and engaged in July last year. I've known I was gonna marry her since I met her a few years back. 

On 5/14/2021 at 7:57 PM, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

This might be of some interest to you @Joe

Finally got around to watching this, thanks! My family on both sides are from Galicia, so we speak a “dialect” of Portuguese, except it’s not a dialect at all! As the video explains, Portuguese and Galician derive from the same language, but are completely distinct languages.

The coolest Spanish language has to be Basque though as it is a language isolate. In other words, we have zero clue where the the Basque language came from! It is unlike any other known language and does not belong to any general family of languages.

13 hours ago, Joe said:

The coolest Spanish language has to be Basque though as it is a language isolate. In other words, we have zero clue where the the Basque language came from! It is unlike any other known language and does not belong to any general family of languages.

Whatever its origin, Euskera and its speakers are pretty much confirmed to be pre-Indo European.

56 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Well I was going to get my REAL ID today but it turns out I lost my birth certificate sometime between now and when I got my job in Feb/March, and my passport is expired. Whomp whomp.

Hot Fuzz Shame GIF

1 hour ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Well I was going to get my REAL ID today but it turns out I lost my birth certificate sometime between now and when I got my job in Feb/March, and my passport is expired. Whomp whomp.

You get the blue hat, symbolizing the fact that you aren’t REAL

2 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

My condolences.

As for lunch recs near the airport, there’s a reason why I skipped the midday meal when I worked in Crystal City which is near DCA.

You could check out places in Old Town Alexandria.

I’ve got 6 hours to kill, so I could hit Alexandria. What’s good there?

On 5/9/2021 at 8:02 PM, Chris- said:

Things might be looking up though...A good friend referred me for a position at a clean energy company based in New York, and the early discussions have been promising. Best part is they don't prorate salaries for remote employees, so I could be looking at a substantial pay increase if things go well.

This ended up being a bust. 

• Sad 2