~~ CEB Community Thread ~~

2 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Just got a call from the wife, apparently our nephew’s brother in law killed himself two days ago.

He was 13

I’ve got 14 and 12 year old sons and I just can’t fathom them being in such a state of despair that ending their life seemed the best option. 

That’s terrible I am so sorry. My boys are almost the same age as yours - and wow. 

There's been some bummers, but I wanted to share a win. 

I've been saving up some money through the pandemic and I decided that I was going to make a dent in my house payment. So I put down an extra $5,000 on my principal this month. I don't really know what that does to my amortization, but I'm tempted to fill out the paperwork to round my payment up to knock an extra payment off every year. OR I could refinance while rates are low.... I just don't know what the right call is in the long run. 

I'm not moving anywhere anytime soon. I already invest and have a good emergency fund. My house is my only payment, really (outside of utilities). 

I probably need to talk to a bank or something... But it sure felt good to take a big swing at my house. 

• 1 month later...

Got into an argument with a coworker today about the office thermostat...and it's not what you might think.

So normally, most office fights over thermostats result from a common misconception (among IDIOTS) that the higher/lower you set the temperature, the faster it will reach that temperature. So many times in the past I've had to explain to people that no, if you want it to be 22 degrees in the office, you can't set the temperature to 26 and hope it warms up faster. Normal furnaces and ACs have a single speed, and you just set the desired temperature.

However, this argument isn't like that, because our office has a dumb and different system. Because our IT offices are inside a high school, we are on the main boiler heating system. So when the heat is on it's on, and there's nothing you can do. Our office then has it's own AC system...so if we want to be at 21 degrees and the school is set at 23C...we have to turn on the AC and set it for 19C, or something like that. Basically, we have cold and hot air pumping in at the same time, averaging out. It's very frustrating because we have to constantly tinker with it because if the heat goes off for a while, we need to turn the AC off. Then on top of that we have a separate AC system for the server racks, etc. I had to explain all of this to a new coworker and they did not understand, and it was very frustrating, and now it's too hot in the office.

And sure enough a recruiter just emailed me to ask about my interest in another position (beside the one I applied for weeks ago). Never fails that I’ll get an offer or promotion and then something old pops up seemingly out of nowhere, it’s literally happened every time. 

I just got my final Closing Disclosure for my mortgage refinance. 

I refinanced the remainder of my loan in a 20 year mortgage with a 2.75% interest rate. Closing costs came out to be $4,370. My monthly payment isn't changing nearly at all. 

If all goes well, I should have my house paid off in 15 years, which would make for a total of approximately 21 years total. 

This feels okay. 

• Like 1

I'm feeling conflicted.

In one of my college courses (yes, I'm 41 and going to college), I noticed that another student word for word copied my own work on our discussion board for an assignment.  On one hand, I feel a bit honored that another student plagiarized my work (which was several hours worth of work), but on the other hand, this pretty much meets the textbook definition of plagiarism.  I debated whether or not I should, but I ended up sending an email to the professor explaining what I saw. 

It wasn't a difficult assignment per se (watch Hotel Rwanda and write about leadership), which make me question why this other student copied my work.  The assignment isn't technically due until tonight at midnight (3 hours from now), so I suppose the other student still has the chance to edit it to his own words, but still...

15 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

I'm feeling conflicted.

In one of my college courses (yes, I'm 41 and going to college), I noticed that another student word for word copied my own work on our discussion board for an assignment.  On one hand, I feel a bit honored that another student plagiarized my work (which was several hours worth of work), but on the other hand, this pretty much meets the textbook definition of plagiarism.  I debated whether or not I should, but I ended up sending an email to the professor explaining what I saw. 

It wasn't a difficult assignment per se (watch Hotel Rwanda and write about leadership), which make me question why this other student copied my work.  The assignment isn't technically due until tonight at midnight (3 hours from now), so I suppose the other student still has the chance to edit it to his own words, but still...

In that situation you need to snitch because if you don't you're risking the other guy claiming you plagiarized him when it inevitably gets caught. 

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

In that situation you need to snitch because if you don't you're risking the other guy claiming you plagiarized him when it inevitably gets caught. 

That's a good point.  The message board we use does show when things were posted and edited though. I posted on Sunday and they posted today.  

Update:  The professor investigated my concern and agreed that it was plagiarism.  In her investigation, she found 2 other instances where this student copy/pasted another student's work for these types of assignments.  The student has retroactively been given a zero for all of these assignments, and she has referred them to the University for disciplinary action.