~~ CEB Community Thread ~~

4 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Oh this is new, you didn't miss anything. But yeah I am. I mentioned once a few weeks ago that there was speculation (with good reason, it turns out) that my company was going to have layoffs. Well they had them, but once the speculation started I wasn't going to be left holding the bag so I started looking. I didn't end up getting cut but I'm not super optimistic about anything longer term about the company, let alone my role 6+ months from now.

Got a couple interviews and worked with a recruiter whom I worked with before and I got an offer. Significant (~33%) pay increase and a more senior title for work similar to some of the projects I've worked on here. I don't think I'd be getting a similar offer as a counter from my current company due to downsizing and whatnot. I was also able to negotiate the start date so I'd still get my bonus from last year.

I hate to do it during this time but I've got to look out for myself. Maybe they'll offer to keep some on who lost their job. From what I understand it wouldn't be the first time they've had to do that.

Don't feel bad. Make that money and look out for you and yours first. Congrats!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Chris- said:

I have never encountered a situation where AWD failed me in snowy conditions. Winter tires will help with traction/stopping, but in wintery conditions I don’t drive in a way that necessitates assistance in those areas. 

I’m pretty sure that in all tests, winter tires are much more effective at controlling / stopping your vehicle than AWD; a FWD car with winter tires is going to handle much better than a car with AWD on all seasons. Obviously it’s somewhat condition dependent but at some temperatures non-winter tires freeze to the point that AWD just doesn’t matter... when all 4 of your tires have no traction, the AWD achieves nothing.

Not a call out on you or anything, but I know so many people who think that AWD is a license to drive in the winter like it’s not winter, and that just isn’t the case. Or I know people who will spend a couple thousand more bucks on a vehicle with AWD because they live up here, when spending a few hundred bucks on winter tires would be both safer and more cost effective.

We’ve been on a more palatable rolling blackout schedule, so the house has remained warm. Looks like another 24-36 hours before we are fully back to normal, but this is much less mentally taxing than sitting in the cold, eating cold food, drinking cold water 😁

6 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

We’ve been on a more palatable rolling blackout schedule, so the house has remained warm. Looks like another 24-36 hours before we are fully back to normal, but this is much less mentally taxing than sitting in the cold, eating cold food, drinking cold water 😁

You're in Texas and a billionaire, where's your grill?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

You're in Texas and a billionaire, where's your grill?

We are building an outdoor kitchen and got rid of all our old stuff. Bad timing!

Positive news concerning the passing of my father-in-law:

We found that he had an active life insurance policy through Mutual of Omaha.  It wasn't much, but it should cover all of our costs for cremation, cleaning out his house, and other costs.  When my wife found out the policy was active, she told me she cried (with happiness) because her dad actually did something responsible - which she felt was lacking throughout his life.  

We also found a buyer for his 2000 Mercedes.  A friend of his from the VFW is going to buy it for almost the same price he paid for it back in October.  The same guy is also interested in buying (and eventually living on) his sailboat.  We don't expect to get very much for selling the boat, as it needs a lot of work.  

I think I mentioned before, but because of COVID, there is a huge backlog of cremations in Southern California, so my father in law won't be able to be cremated for about another month.  We intend to hold a small service, socially distanced, this summer in San Diego, and then spread his ashes at sea.  

• Like 5

Just put an offer in on a house and got it for $8k under asking. Very excited, we'll take possession in April. 1060 sqft bungalow with finished basement (5 bed, 2 bath), and everything updated (including rebraced and sprayed foundation, which is important where I live since the ground is mushy). Happy because we didn't want to have to do a bunch of work in the first few years (especially because construction costs are insane here right now with the lumber shortage thanks to the pandemic). Good area of the city, too, and only a 15 min walk for my wife to her work (when she returns post-pandemic).

42 minutes ago, Chris- said:

5 bed/2 bath within 1060 square feet? What are those, bedrooms for ants?

3 minutes ago, CayceG said:

I'm gonna say that's a typo. OR Canadian real estate counts any non-kitchen, non-bathroom as a bedroom?

My house is ~1000 sq-ft upstairs and has 1 bathroom and 5 other rooms besides the kitchen. But it's a living room, a dining room, and 2 bedrooms. 

Houses in Canada have basements in almost all cases, but square footage is only listed for above-grade, so that's probably the confusion. So in this case it is 1060 sqft above grade, and 1060 sqft below (not completely below, there are windows near the ceiling in the basement). So in terms of livable area, it's 2120 sqft I guess, minus around 300 sqft for the unfinished laundry/furnace room.

I'd just link the listing but I don't want any of you creeps to hunt me down.

Just now, CitizenVectron said:

Houses in Canada have basements in almost all cases, but square footage is only listed for above-grade, so that's probably the confusion. So in this case it is 1060 sqft above grade, and 1060 sqft below (not completely below, there are windows near the ceiling in the basement). So in terms of livable area, it's 2120 I guess, minus around 300sqft for the unfinished laundry/furnace room.

Are some of the bedrooms in the basement?

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

Houses in Canada have basements in almost all cases, but square footage is only listed for above-grade, so that's probably the confusion. So in this case it is 1060 sqft above grade, and 1060 sqft below (not completely below, there are windows near the ceiling in the basement). So in terms of livable area, it's 2120 sqft I guess, minus around 300 sqft for the unfinished laundry/furnace room.

I'd just link the listing but I don't want any of you creeps to hunt me down.

I don’t know man that still just strikes me as a lot. A split-level is going to be around that size and I can’t think of any 5BD/2BR split-levels I’ve been in. Congrats nonetheless though. 

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

Yes, two of them, which is also common in Canada. The basement is finished just like the main floor (subfloor, drywalled, drop ceiling, etc).

This is almost exactly like my house. 5 is probably right. My finished basement doesn't use space efficiently so I only have 3 rooms designated as BRs. 

18 minutes ago, Chris- said:

I don’t know man that still just strikes me as a lot. A split-level is going to be around that size and I can’t think of any 5BD/2BR split-levels I’ve been in. Congrats nonetheless though. 

My house is a 5br/2ba split level about 2100 square foot not counting the basement. Some of the bedrooms are more modest than others but still bigger than what I had growing up

Yeah and the basement bedrooms are definitely smaller. Better suited as guest rooms. Regardless, we'll be using two bedrooms as home offices and a third as an art studio. So just the master bedroom and one spare bedroom, in the end.

Fortunately the layout of the house is really efficient so it feels comfortable. We also did set out to keep it a smaller home (as measured on one level) as we aren't having kids. No point to a Two-Storey home with 3,000 sqft for two of us. Lot is 6,000 sqft so a good amount of room, even after the detached garage.

My house now that we’ve done all the remodeling and additions is 5/3.5 and 3300 sqft. But my master suite by itself is like 850. One level, can’t have basements here because the water table is too high and they would flood constantly. I also don’t want to have stairs cause I’m going to die here and one day going up and down stairs would be turrrrible.