~~ CEB Community Thread ~~

1 minute ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

How are you liking the new job?

And are you me? My first job out of college was my previous job. I felt stuck and like I wasn't progressing. And the company has been around for almost 20 years but they still act like they're a startup. The CEO's job seems like it was only to get funding from VCs. Like, how long are we going to go like this? Slowly sinking ship indeed.

Haha. I like it. It's a lot of new stuff to pick up since it's an entirely new industry for me. Luckily it doesn't seem to be as much of a hurry up and wait culture so that's a plus.

john-a-macdonald-statue-regina-saskatche
WWW.CBC.CA

Regina's city council voted seven to four Wednesday to remove the statue of Sir John A. Macdonald from Victoria Park. The statue will be put into storage for up to a year while a new home is found.

Big news in my city. John A. Macdonald is basically the founding father of Canada (if we use American parallels). He was also, however, a massive racist who approved the plan to starve thousands of Indigenous families off their land in the prairie provinces as Canada expanded westward. He was also a notorious drunk who was often shit-faced during Parliament. So yeah, he was instrumental in gaining Canada's independence from the UK at the time...but he wasn't a good person, even by the standards of the 1860s. Glad his statue is being put in storage.

The statue thing is one of the more interesting culture war fights to me because I both don’t think we need to take them down and at the same time I think people who want them up usually have bad reasons for it.

I also generally find statues to be the laziest type of monument. Be more creative!

Just now, Jason said:

In the US most of these racist statues are from the Jim Crow era, it's not like the actual Confederates put them up. 

While it started with confederate statues the statue issue goes beyond confederates, like what CV is talking about here. There are people wanting to take down statues of Washington because he was a slave owner.

Exactly, monuments to specific acts done by humans removes a lot of the reverence that gets applied to all aspects of that person's life by extension of immortalizing them in statue form. 

34 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Exactly, monuments to specific acts done by humans removes a lot of the reverence that gets applied to all aspects of that person's life by extension of immortalizing them in statue form. 

I mean, there's a fair amount of background propaganda that exists for the people placed in civic reverence. The Washington "I cannot tell a lie", "American Cincinnatus", and Godlike "Father of the Country" ideology is the foremost propaganda regarding him. It's easy to make a case that his statues are for extolling the virtues of what we would like to see from our country using this mythos as a convenient vessel for such things.

But that's a fairly charitable reading, and is blind to the other side of Washington that he was a brutal slaveowner who kept Black people as property. Imo he should be the only slaveowner with any statuary of him provided we educate his whole history and that includes the bad stuff. That also requires teaching the fundamental contradiction at the heart of the founding of this country and I know conservatives don't want to confront that reality.

Confederates though? Fuck em. Traitors fighting for states rights (to permit slavery) don't deserve reverence

Welp, going to war with Medicaid. 

My home care renewal is up and because Medicaid paid for part of my new wheelchair, I'm "over cost neutrality" ($51k) meaning the State feels it is cheaper to put me in a nursing home. I'll win (because the cost neutrality number is a joke), but so annoying. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jwheel86 said:

My home care renewal is up and because Medicaid paid for part of my new wheelchair, I'm "over cost neutrality" ($51k) meaning the State feels it is cheaper to put me in a nursing home. I'll win (because the cost neutrality number is a joke), but so annoying. 

That fucking sucks. 

If you're going to war, then you have my axe. 

7 minutes ago, Jwheel86 said:

$51k? Lmao how old is that number?

50 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

$51k? Lmao how old is that number?

Exactly, and it gets worse. I should be on a much better Medicaid waiver program but can't because of the 10 year waiting list. That waiver's neutrality number is $150k, so if I say fuck it and put myself in a nursing home for 90 days "Money Follows the Person" federal program kicks in and I bypass the wait list for the better waiver. 

Whole thing is so stupid, not only is home care cheaper for government by itself, but because I have a job with benefits, Medicaid isn't on the hook for my $365k a year drug or my $40k wheelchair (except my deductible).

Garlic/ Onion/ Celery/ Carrot/ Bell-Pepper literally never stops smelling amazing no matter how many times you sauté it. It's like fucking magic. It takes some effort so I kind of understand our parents generation looking for shortcuts but man it's really not that much extra time and it's really such a joy. 

Happy Easter everyone :)

Ugh, in a bit of a pickle.

The first wedding of 2021 (I do wedding photography on the side, 5-6 per year) is coming up in the middle of May. My city is currently under lockdown at least until the end of April, and likely longer than that, due to the uncontrolled spread of the B.1.1.7 variant (currently around 40 cases per 100k, per day). Currently, community halls and banquet halls (where their ceremony was planned) are closed, and all private indoor gatherings are banned. It sounds like they want to go ahead with a small ceremony (themselves, officiant, myself, and a videographer) and stream it to their family. However, if they do it indoors then I'm 95% sure it will contravene public health orders.

If this were any other clients I would simply cancel and refund (and provide alternate options for replacement), but they are friends of mine. Another lesson as to why to never do business with friends, lol. Not sure what to do. It's possible that the health orders will be relaxed by then...but I also just don't feel comfortable being indoors with other people right now, especially so close to the end of the pandemic, and especially with my wife having asthma and a compromised immune system (not totally compromised, but lower than normal). 

This was going to be my last year of wedding photography anyway since my new job pays more than enough and I no longer need side hustles...I was considering just cancelling all my weddings this year (and providing replacements), but I am not sure what to do. I don't want to let down friends, but if they decide to be unsafe (and contravene health orders, or try to find loopholes in them), I also don't want to put myself and my wife at risk.

7 minutes ago, Chris- said:

I'm meeting my girlfriend's cousin-in-law soon; I know he's from Bosnia, but I'm not sure if he's Bosniak, Serb, or Croat... @Commissar SFLUFAN, who should I be racist toward in this instance? Do they have a shared enemy?

You can't go wrong with hating the Slovenes in that instance.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On a separate note, my girlfriend was scammed out of about $800 through Cash App. I am simultaneously extremely upset she was victimized, highly irate she fell for it (dumb!), and frothing at the mouth at how poor Cash App’s security is (because the scammers clearly knew what they were doing, and the activity should have raised a red flag)

• Guillotine 1

3 minutes ago, Chris- said:

On a separate note, my girlfriend was scammed out of about $800 through Cash App. I am simultaneously extremely upset she was victimized, highly irate she fell for it (dumb!), and frothing at the mouth at how poor Cash App’s security is (because the scammers clearly knew what they were doing, and the activity should have raised a red flag)

Maybe it was those damn shifty Slovenes! :angry:

3 minutes ago, Chris- said:

After I came into the room and told her to hang up they called her back and I answered; the accent appeared to be Indian. That was a fun conversation. 

There are so many YouTube videos dedicated to people trolling these scammers, I had no idea it was such a large problem.

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Sadly, it appears that my "work day" posting will be somewhat curtailed as I've started on-site work at a new client that let's just say has some restrictions on the use of technology in the building :p

My new client is...

Send pics of the new B-21 to me and JWheel.

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Sadly, it appears that my "work day" posting will be somewhat curtailed as I've started on-site work at a new client that let's just say has some restrictions on the use of technology in the building :p

My new client is...

Gonna build your self a super suit arnt ya?

Darpa Robot Climbing GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY