Pokemon Sword and Shield - Information Thread (Launching 11/15/19)

Pikachu

7 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

So... 

A lot of stuff like this is coming out. However:

"Players are modifying Pokémon Sword and Shield on purpose so that it looks worse in gameplays"

To look worse on purpose? I don't think that's correct. I've heard that the modding has caused some issues, but it's not on purpose. The modding is to make the game run better because from what I've heard it runs at sub-30fps at times. 

That 9.3 from IGN seems way too high. The animation, and graphics are not what I'd expect from a Switch game, and unless there's been a big overhaul to the battling system, it looks to be the same formula we've been doing for over twenty years. Honestly it seems like Sword and Shield were originally supposed to be 3DS games, before being ported over to Switch in a rush. Plus the lies from the developers when they said that Pokémon had to be cut in order to make these better animations, and models from scratch...which turns out to not be true since they're the same models from the 3DS games, and the animations are crap, and also reused. Cut Pokémon would be one thing if they said they'd be added back in over time with events as DLC, but they haven't even announced that. I think Pokémon has kind of driven itself into a tough corner by always adding to the roster though. If you make cuts someone's favourite is going to be cut, but if you just keep adding eventually it's going to get too big. I'm wondering if maybe each new generation should have always just focused on brand new monsters from the start. 

This series needs a massive shakeup and overhaul like Zelda did with Breath of the Wild.

On 11/11/2019 at 4:24 PM, Xbob42 said:

Now, to be clear, in most games, you could only bring forward the entire roster by linking up with previous games, so for super casual fans there won't be a huge difference, which is exactly what they're relying on. There will still be a campaign and it'll be essentially indistinguishable from previous campaigns in terms of content (except you can't even attempt to capture Pokemon a certain level higher than you, another unprecedented and unwelcome change) so most of what I've just said will be met with a big fat "Really? It didn't seem like that." So... they'll very easily get away with it. Until people start trying to transfer Pokemon they've been bringing forward since the original Game Boy days and realizing even like 90% of the starters over the years won't be compatible. For anyone that actually gets into why people enjoy these games beyond the basic campaign, it's going to be a very rude and unwelcome awakening, because the roster that got cut makes NO fucking sense and seems really arbitrary and random..

That's a pretty big 'to be clear'! How many people have linked their roster unerringly over the past 20+ years? I guarantee its a fraction of the amount of people who buy the games.

37 minutes ago, Chris- said:

That's a pretty big 'to be clear'! How many people have linked their roster unerringly over the past 20+ years? I guarantee its a fraction of the amount of people who buy the games.

Over the last 20 years? A small amount. Over the last couple of games? Enough to justify them charging for the service and running a dedicated app for it.

The funny part is because every game has had all available Pokemon up to their launch, this affects people who play the newer games just as much, if not more, because there's a far higher chance you want to transfer a Pokemon that didn't make the cut. And because the list is total nonsense, you can't even rely on obvious picks like Bulbasaur or Mewtwo. Or just sticking to new ones. The shotgun blast blew gaping holes into every generation.

On 11/13/2019 at 4:20 PM, johnny said:

I literally don’t give a shit about only having half the roster. I like using the new Pokémon and I don’t do the online battling stuff. 

And it's folks like you they're hoping will keep the momentum going. Making a worse product for much cheaper in the hopes that people don't give a shit has been a running theme this generation. And hey, it works! It's all great and dandy until they cut the thing you liked, but until then it's smooth sailin'.

On 11/13/2019 at 1:53 PM, Spork3245 said:

Yea, I’m sure there’s at least one person crying themselves to sleep about not being able to use seel and dewgong in Sword/Shield 

I am unironically sure that this is true. 

Buying the double pack of both games together is more expensive than buying each one separately. 

To me that’s a microcosm of how Nintendo views its Pokémon fans. Oh, you want every Pokémon ever in the game? Well, you’ve probably defended our decision to sell two nearly identical games every release for 20 some years, so we think you’ll get over it and buy it.   

13 hours ago, Biggie said:

Impressions anyone?  

It's a new Pokemon. Only an hour or so in and it's no better or worse than the most recent Pokemon games. It's prettier than the previous games, but that's just part of the natural jump when going from 800*240 to HD.

I enjoyed the most recent Pokemon games, so this looks like it'll also be quite enjoyable. We'll see how any of the new stuff added to the game works out. I'm most interested in the gigantimax raids, but I'm not there yet.

• Like 1

Death Stranding has scarred me so much in such a short period of time. I loaded this up thinking I was just gonna run around delivering shipments of pokeballs to other people so they could have the fun. Death Stranding makes me feel like I don’t deserve fun anymore. I thought Death Stranding savagely Murdered my inner child. Luckily Pokemon found it shaking and whimpering in a corner and rescued it. 

• Guillotine 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

Death Stranding has scarred me so much in such a short period of time. I loaded this up thinking I was just gonna run around delivering shipments of pokeballs to other people so they could have the fun. Death Stranding makes me feel like I don’t deserve fun anymore. I thought Death Stranding savagely Murdered my inner child. Luckily Pokemon found it shaking and whimpering in a corner and rescued it. 

Curious how far you actually got in Death Stranding before giving up like a cuck.

I really like the Max Raid concept. Seems really inconsistent on whether you actually get other players to join you though. You seem to join through the stamp system which updates pretty much at random? Sometimes you can force it to load new stamps, sometimes you can't. This is a problem since you only have 2 and a half minutes to invite random internet people to join, so it's likely by the time your stamp actually circulates the invite period will be over. Also early on everyone just kind of one shots the Dynamax Pokemon even with their normal sized Pokemon. Kind of underwhelming but if they can get some really hard ones in there that require teamwork I'd be way into it. Feels really different from normal Pokemon fights.

4 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

Buying the double pack of both games together is more expensive than buying each one separately. 

To me that’s a microcosm of how Nintendo views its Pokémon fans. Oh, you want every Pokémon ever in the game? Well, you’ve probably defended our decision to sell two nearly identical games every release for 20 some years, so we think you’ll get over it and buy it.   

I’m confused, how much are the games separately? My double pack I got for my fiancé and I was $100

5 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

I just checked on the switch storefront this morning and the double pack was 119.99 vs 59.99 each for them individually. 

So... you’re upset about a penny?

Where'd you get yours? 

I preordered in the winter on Amazon. It went on sale at some point so they adjusted the price to $99.99 for me.

14 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Even so, how’d you figure it’s more expensive?

It’s $.01 more lol. 

13 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

So... you’re upset about a penny?

I preordered in the winter on Amazon. It went on sale at some point so they adjusted the price to $99.99 for me.

I’m not upset about a penny. I don’t give a SHIT about Pokémon. I just think every other company on the planet would be like hey buy our two (exact same games outside of a few monsters) games and get, I dunno, five dollars off. Nintendo didn’t even give enough of a shit to make the purchases exactly the same. 

But yeah if the deal is through amazon I don’t think that nullifies what I’m saying. 

6 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Okay but how is that more than paying individually for them?

It’s a penny more. It’s funny. 

If you guys are seriously upset because I find it amusing that it’s cheaper to buy each game separately rather than the “double pack” on Nintendo’s own store, even if it is by a single penny, I will just see myself out. 

Pokemon is great and Nintendo is great too. Star Wars sucks. I dunno. Have a good day. 

1 minute ago, Paperclyp said:

If you guys are seriously upset because I find it amusing that it’s cheaper to buy each game separately rather than the “double pack” on Nintendo’s own store, even if it is by a single penny, I will just see myself out. 

Pokemon is great and Nintendo is great too. Star Wars sucks. I dunno. Have a good day. 

It kinda reminds me of steam sales back in the day when you bought a bundle of games like a tomb raider bundle, the bundle was more expensive than buying them individually.

I FIND IT FUNNY. DON'T LET THE OTHERS RAIN ON YOUR PARADE!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

I'm not upset, the joke was just...unfunny.

But I've never been bothered by the two game system. I only ever play one of them, pretty sure that's just what most people do. Just take your pick as to which legendary you like better.