Pokemon Sword and Shield - Information Thread (Launching 11/15/19)

Pikachu

47 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

Like, completely different? What’s the diff?

Shield has ghost and ice type gyms where as Sword has fighting and rock types. I am sad that I'll miss our on the ghost type gym. That could be fun and it is a first for the franchise, I do believe.

52 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Shield has ghost and ice type gyms where as Sword has fighting and rock types. I am sad that I'll miss our on the ghost type gym. That could be fun and it is a first for the franchise, I do believe.

Cool! 

The Ghost-Type gym is not new, though. There was the Ecruteak Gym back in Gold/Silver/Crystal, which awarded the player with a Fog Badge when victorious. That said...it's been a while since we've had a Ghost-Type Gym! About time it made a return! I think the new types of gyms are the Fairy-Type and Dark-Type. Present in both Sword & Shield....I think?

I haven't really been a handheld gamer for a long time, so I haven't played a Pokemon game for years. I think I had the first one for the DS, but never a 3DS version.

It's almost bizarre how little these games have evolved and how little effort seems to have been put into them. If this game came out 10 years ago it would have felt dated. It's kind of like Octopath Traveler, but without the care put into the presentation and it's the same game I played back when games kinda looked like that. This is a game that will probably sell 20-ish million units, but feels like it has the polish of a medium effort mod or unfunded kickstarter title.

I'm not really mad or surprised, and I certainly understand how they get away with it, but if you take a step back it is a real oddity. I can't think of another game series that tries so little. I don't really buy them, but I feel like even the FIFA games put in more effort to at least look modern and add new play modes and such. Certainly series like Mario and Call of Duty, despite their release cadence, feel like they try to earn your money with each new entry.

Even though I don't have any saved Pokemon from back in the day, I almost understand why people are upset about the Pokedex thing now. This is a full priced game in 2019, a major new entry in one of the most successful franchises of all time, and if they didn't put their effort into adding more Pokemon, there is literally no part of the game that demonstrates where that dev time might have gone.

All that said, I probably am going to put some time into this, if only because it's so easy to play while watching something on the couch. It's almost absurdly old, but I've also never heard of the vast majority of Pokemon I run into, so there is some base sense of novelty.

• Like 1

I watched a video today that suggested in order to avoid the Dexit situation if they weren't going to add all 807 Pokémon back in, and to avoid having anyone get their favourite cut, while others are kept, would be to cut ALL the old ones, and start over fresh, adding in even more new ones, and... maybe? I mean Gamefreak definitely has the resources to afford getting all 807 Pokémon back in if they actually tried (this is the most profitable multimedia IP ever), but I feel like if they were to cut away all the old ones (maybe keep Pikachu just because it's the mascot), it would need to come with a major revision and improvements to the series to justify that. 

@BrickGame Freak does nearly everything in house some 150 employees between. That's for everyone working on two Pokemon games and whatever random new IP they feel like working on. By two Pokemon games, I'm not talking about Swore and Shield because it's certain that Sword and Shield's development overlapped the Let's Go games along with Little Town Hero. I don't even think they license any game engine for the Pokemon games and develop even that in house. The studio should probably be a lot bigger, but I have no idea why that hasn't happened.

Biggest goddamn media franchise in history and they can't afford to get their shit together. They need to hire a significant number of new artists and maybe stop the biennial releases so they can put the appropriate amount of time and effort into making a game full of features that they think are okay to skimp on, like postgame content and, you know, the FUCKING ROSTER.

They somehow managed to get all the Pokemon in the 3DS versions, but can't here? Why? The models looks exactly the same except you can actually see them now that the screen isn't quite as low res. The animations are just as shitty as ever. It's like they have no one doing any planning whatsoever over there.

27 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Peoples' reactions to this are so weird.

Anyway, finally started it last night, these games never fail to put a smile on my face. Haven't made it to the first gym yet, I got pretty tired, but I'm got my starting six lined up for now. :)

Kinda wish I'd gone with Shield, missing the ghost gym and all.

So it’s solid? Thinking of downloading Shield. There’s so much misinformation out there I’ve been hesitating.  

44 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Biggest goddamn media franchise in history and they can't afford to get their shit together. They need to hire a significant number of new artists and maybe stop the biennial releases so they can put the appropriate amount of time and effort into making a game full of features that they think are okay to skimp on, like postgame content and, you know, the FUCKING ROSTER.

They somehow managed to get all the Pokemon in the 3DS versions, but can't here? Why? The models looks exactly the same except you can actually see them now that the screen isn't quite as low res. The animations are just as shitty as ever. It's like they have no one doing any planning whatsoever over there.

Wow, wonder why someone who knew all this would still purchase the game. 

@TwinIon nailed it on the head for me, and some of the subsequent posts as well. 

It really does feel like a sharper 3DS game with a few quality of life changes. There's so much potential in this franchise, even if they want to keep the biggest appeal for kids. They are literally making the same game over and over, and they finally did something that actually pissed off their pretty loyal fanbase in not including the entire roster. 

I don't care about including the entire roster. I would love them to change up how battles work - give me new incentive to get out there and grind. Give me some voice acting, I dunno. I do think the character models look good and I don't think you need to nitpick on the level that is coming from some of the disingenuous dexiters (dumbest fucking name), but the game is so bland and frankly performs rather poorly in places. 

I won't rain on the parade anymore. I just think Pokemon has an incredible base to start with and they just under-capitalize on it to a shocking degree. Since it's also out now, it does remind me of Star Wars in that there's all this awesome groundwork to tell interesting stories, but they all boil down to the rebellion vs the empire. 

1 hour ago, Xbob42 said:

Modders are trying to to put the res l missing Pokemon back in the game and are finding it'll be a lot of work. The models can be reused along with some animations. Textures have to be redone and a whole ton of new animations need to be created, whole cloth. None of the camp stuff is animated, nor the dynamax stuff or even the overworked stuff. A lot of Pokemons don't have those run, hide, walk around, or otherwise animations for interacting with the player.

Game Freak doesn't seem the type to bring in tons of contractors to help ramp up dev work, but they also haven't really grown in size all that much since they were dealing with much simpler 2D games.

49 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Also I went with Scorbunny as my starter. I’ve never chosen a fire type starter before but he was just too cute to pass up. It’ll be the first time I didn’t choose a water type Pokémon.  @GameDadGrant

Good luck! My Sobble evolved from a slightly meek-looking worried child to an angsty-looking teen Pokémon. I haven’t seen Scorbunny’s evolution line, but I’d be surprised if it doesn’t end up being a Fire/Fighting mix. 

14 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

So you're an asshole who never started with Chimchar or Fennekin?

Sad!

I am also that asshole.

Also, why does your post read like one of Trump’s tweets? LOL