Pokemon Sword and Shield - Information Thread (Launching 11/15/19)

Pikachu

5 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

There is no need to build a hype train for a 7 min video. Just drop it now. 

We live in a world of announcing teasers for announcements of announcements for trailers that have yet to come and the press eats it up. There's no going back. Nintendo has been pretty good at just announcing trailers and at least this time, they aren't announcing something to play in the middle of the night and are just dropping it, first thing in the morning. However, you know if it would have dropped this morning, it would have been announced yesterday.

I'm personally disappointed that they didn't take more risks. It feels to me like the jump to 3D would have been a good time to get rid of the random battles, maybe even try out real time combat,  though that would probably be a bridge too far. Perhaps those kind of changes are best left to spin off games.

These look very much like what I imagine people have been asking for. I have no doubt they'll be a fine entry in the series and sell even more switches. Hell, I haven't bought a Pokemon game in years and I might pick one up for the hell of it.

That Pokemon trailer did fuck all for me. Back to random battles, now with the added tedium of a silhouette slowly being revealed. I hope that's a one-time deal and not something in literally every battle.

Otherwise, it looks extremely bog standard in kind of a really boring way? Somehow I think the art style looks significantly less interesting than Let's Go Eevee/Pikachu, which had a very clean and simple Pokemon aesthetic.

I was prepared to be very excited for this, but ended up wondering when the team that made Eevee/Pikachu gets another crack at it, because unless I missed something, I'm not seeing anything exciting here at all. I guess suiting up for a Pokemon tournament is kinda neat, but is more of a cosmetic thing than anything.

It worries me, because you usually choose a reveal trailer to show off your coolest new features, but I didn't see any...

The ‘coolest feature’ is that it’s a console-based, normal ass Pokémon game. I’ve waited 20 years for that shit and I’m hyped as hell. 

I can see why it would be underwhelming to someone who’s followed the series, but given that I haven’t played a Pokémon game since Yellow, I’m all about it. 

3 hours ago, TwinIon said:

I'm personally disappointed that they didn't take more risks. It feels to me like the jump to 3D would have been a good time to get rid of the random battles, maybe even try out real time combat,  though that would probably be a bridge too far. Perhaps those kind of changes are best left to spin off games.

These look very much like what I imagine people have been asking for. I have no doubt they'll be a fine entry in the series and sell even more switches. Hell, I haven't bought a Pokemon game in years and I might pick one up for the hell of it.

It does feel like the kind of series ready for some NI No Kuni style battling. 

43 minutes ago, Chris- said:

The ‘coolest feature’ is that it’s a console-based, normal ass Pokémon game. I’ve waited 20 years for that shit and I’m hyped as hell. 

I can see why it would be underwhelming to someone who’s followed the series, but given that I haven’t played a Pokémon game since Yellow, I’m all about it. 

Yeah, that's called Let's Go Eevee/Pikachu, which was literally just a remake of Pokemon Yellow except you didn't have to fight random Pokemon, which automatically made it better than this because random Pokemon battles are fucking garbage-tier content for mouthbreathers.

1 minute ago, Xbob42 said:

Yeah, that's called Let's Go Eevee/Pikachu, which was literally just a remake of Pokemon Yellow except you didn't have to fight random Pokemon, which automatically made it better than this because random Pokemon battles are fucking garbage-tier content for mouthbreathers.

I have zero interest in using motion controls to catch Pokémon, so no, that is not what I’m talking about. 

5 minutes ago, Chris- said:

I have zero interest in using motion controls to catch Pokémon, so no, that is not what I’m talking about. 

You don't have to use motion controls to catch Pokemon, so you clearly never played it! Motion controls are an option, but you can also just hit the A button!

Just now, Xbob42 said:

You don't have to use motion controls to catch Pokemon, so you clearly never played it! Motion controls are an option, but you can also just hit the A button!

That's not the point; I don't want to catch Pokemon in a way that is devoid of combat. 

Just now, Chris- said:

That's not the point; I don't want to catch Pokemon in a way that is devoid of combat. 

But the combat is fucking boring for wild Pokemon! They're so insanely weak that it just makes the entire process a huge waste of time and is pure filler. That's why they kept the legendary battles in Eevee/Pikachu, because those actually involve a challenge and aren't just false swipe + paralyze + throw Pokeballs over and over.

I'd be totally down for wild Pokemon combat if was actual combat and not just tedious busywork.

But even then, even if that was 100% the case, I don't want random battles anymore. All the Pokemon running around in Eevee/Pikachu made the world feel vastly more alive and made catching Pokemon way more fun.

You already have your mind made up and haven't played in a long time, so you're clearly going after the classic experience on the big screen, but man, Eevee/Pikachu was a big step forward, I hope this isn't a big step back.

2 hours ago, Chris- said:

Xbob: Here is my personal preference.

People: As a person I also have preferences.

Right, except your preference is theoretical rather than practical. You assume this is what you want despite a lack of relative or even recent experience, and zero experience with the newer system.

Unless you have lived an entire life without your expectations ever being upended, I think you'd be in for a pleasant surprise with the recent games. Sorry for molesting your personal taste with my outlandish assumptions. I tend to assume people like it when things are more fun. Please enjoy your 40+ hours of false swiping.

:lol: I mean you're the one who called the battles in the JRPGs you play meaningless like it was a good thing. My point isn't even that random battles are meaningless, it's that Pokemon running around the overworld is both more interesting and fits the theme better, and allows you to hunt select Pokemon more efficiently, without losing anything that makes Pokemon fun.

And further, that unless changed significantly, battles with wild Pokemon are supremely unfun because they are not challenging in any way, but also aren't so fodder-fast that you can just breeze through them and feel powerful. They're full of long, unskippable animations and slowly draining health bars and it just breaks up the pace in a way that I think most people agree isn't very satisfying. If the wild battles were more challenging (and thus there would likely have to be less of them) then I'd be fine with it. As it stands, just hunting down the Pokemon and figuring out the best way to catch it with just Pokeballs and items feels much more streamlined, in a good way, and also separates the act of a trainer battle from the act of catching a Pokemon, which in Eevee/Pikachu felt like very distinct things and kept both avenues of gameplay feeling fresh for much longer.

That's not even getting into the fact that I think the Pokemon battle system even at its best feels rigid and stale and in dire need of a shakeup. All but the highest-end battles feel like a joke because the difficulty is so low and everything moves so slowly. But that I can see being a much bigger sticking point for not changing to a lot of people.