~Rate The Last Movie/TV Show You Watched Thread~

1 minute ago, Captain Pickle said:

Widows

3/5

It looks like a duck, smells like a duck, but gawddamn it was made outta bean curd!

Was stylistic and seemed like it was well acted at first but then it just seemed so meh.  The ending sucks too

How did you feel about the movies Hunger, Shame, and 12 Years a Slave?

9 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

How did you feel about the movies Hunger, Shame, and 12 Years a Slave?

I've only seen 12 years a slave :nervous: but I loved it.  I watched this movie because of the director.  At first I loved the stylistic directing but by the ending I just felt like I was bamboozled and the movie was simply mediocre

Just now, Captain Pickle said:

I've only seen 12 years a slave :nervous: but I loved it.  I watched this movie because of the director.  At first I loved the stylistic directing but by the ending I just felt like I was bamboozled and the movie was simply mediocre

Yeah, that's why I asked, to get your take on the co-writer/director. I haven't seen it yet but looking forward to it. I know it's a pretty divisive film but it looks up my alley. 

3 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Yeah, that's why I asked, to get your take on the co-writer/director. I haven't seen it yet but looking forward to it. I know it's a pretty divisive film but it looks up my alley. 

I thought it was right up my alley too.  Anyway, by you just reading my reaction you might love it since I may have slightly lowered your expectations. :kiss:

• Thanks 1

Inside No. 9  season 1-4

British anthology series I would best describe as a very dark comedy. Most of the episodes have a twist ending but unfortunately at least in the early seasons a lot of the twists kind of come out of nowhere. Decent series but nothing great.

6/10

Love Death and Robots

Another anthology series. All animated shorts done in vastly different styles and with totally different themes and plots, everything straight comedy to dark action. Some are quite good others are total misses but they are short, some clocking in at only 5 minutes without credits and most around 10-15 minutes so if you don't like one it won't stick around too long. 3 Robots, Lucky 13, Suits were my favorites. Some really dynamic animation in Witness and great realistic CG done in Beyond the Aquila Rift occasionally let down by some uncanny valley facial animation. 

7/10

Umbrella Academy

Great production values and decent acting but it just wasn't my flavor of weird. For a show about "superheroes" they sure didn't use their powers much until the final episode which was probably the best episode. This show also has the terrible writing trap of a lot of things could very easily be resolved if you just called someone on their cellphone, even though it takes place in the present no one seems to have one.

5.5/10

spacer.png

Radio Romance: 8/10

I kept going back and forth on this, should I rate it a 7 or an 8? Ultimately I rated it 8 based on some very good episodes. The kind that tug on your heartstrings kinda like that episode of Friday Night Lights where Saracen is burying his dad. It is a challenging watch to a varying degree because a lot of it is Kardashian-like, since the main character is a top star so they have rich family drama stuff, but it kinda works itself out in the end. Plus check it out. It has Yura @thewhyteboar (but she's kinda like a super bitch :/ )

Spider-man: Into the Spider-verse - 4K UHD Blu-ray - 10/10 - Such a good movie. The animation style was innovative and unique. The movie itself was the best Spider-man movie I've ever seen. As a life-long Spider-man fan, this felt like a Spider-man movie, made by Spider-man fans FOR Spider-man fans. They just "got" what Spider-man is all about at its core.

The HDR in this movie is very nicely done and certainly enhances the visuals in a meaningful way. Some scenes are just "oooo - look at that" kind of pretty. A worthy upgrade from standard blu-ray for sure.

The Dolby Atmos sound mix is great too! Dynamic use of all channels. And so much bass. It's glorious. I was standing behind the bar, having just grabbed a pop and leaning against the back wall and the bass was just literally shaking the walls over and over. This kind of disc makes the sound system feel like a good investment.

12 hours ago, EternallDarkness said:

It's funny, over the last week or so I've watched all the MI movies except for 2

12 hours ago, johnny said:

Smart decision 

Bad decision. One of Mission: Impossible - Fallout's best callbacks is to Mission: Impossible II, and Mission: Impossible II, for all it's bombast and over-the-top nature, is a lot of fun, with cool shoot outs, great cinematography, and an absolutely hands down awesome (if too attention-grabbing) soundtrack by Hans Zimmer.

If you're going to bother even watching the movies, everyone should absolutely watch Mission: Impossible II. Above all else, it's fun. If people can recommend Fast and Furious movies, then I don't see why Mission: Impossible II wouldn't be? Fast and Furious movies are basically Mission: Impossible II to the extreme.

1 minute ago, Greatoneshere said:

Bad decision. One of Mission: Impossible - Fallout's best callbacks is to Mission: Impossible II, and Mission: Impossible II, for all it's bombast and over-the-top nature, is a lot of fun, with cool shoot outs, great cinematography, and an absolutely hands down awesome (if too attention-grabbing) soundtrack by Hans Zimmer.

If you're going to bother even watching the movies, everyone should absolutely watch Mission: Impossible II. Above all else, it's fun. If people can recommend Fast and Furious movies, then I don't see why Mission: Impossible II wouldn't be? Fast and Furious movies are basically Mission: Impossible II to the extreme.

Officially your worst opinion you've ever given.

5 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I actually enjoyed MI:2, only reason I didn't watch it is because I don't have a digital copy and I've been watching them on my phone. 

14 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Officially your worst opinion you've ever given.

For you there are so many, which others are in contention for worst? :daydream: Also, you're wrong.

7 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

I actually enjoyed MI:2, only reason I didn't watch it is because I don't have a digital copy and I've been watching them on my phone. 

First of all - watching Mission: Impossible movies on your phone? Jesus Christ. 

:notsure:

You should watch it unless you're already done going through the rest of them! :p 

3 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

First of all - watching Mission: Impossible movies on your phone? Jesus Christ. 

well to be completely honest I am more listening than watching. I have playing when I am at the gym on the elliptical or treadmill. Whatever movie I am 'watching' is generally a movie I have seen many times so as I said, I am more listening than watching

2 hours ago, TheLeon said:

MI2 is probably the worst in the series, but it’s still fun and worth watching. 

agreed. It's just a fun series with some incredible stunts. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/27/2019 at 7:26 AM, Captain Pickle said:

Widows

3/5

It looks like a duck, smells like a duck, but gawddamn it was made outta bean curd!

Was stylistic and seemed like it was well acted at first but then it just seemed so meh.  The ending sucks too

I have to rewatch it, but man I disagree so much. It hits me right in that sweet spot between genre film and elevated drama.

2 hours ago, TheLeon said:

MI2 is probably the worst in the series, but it’s still fun and worth watching. 

This. MI2 isn't a good movie, but it's a fun one. It's aged the worst

On 3/25/2019 at 6:59 PM, nacthenud said:

The Matrix - 4K UHD - 10/10

My favourite movie of all-time got a massive upgrade in this new release.  First and foremost, the colours are finally restored back to their theatrical version - not the re-tinted version they started putting out with all home releases starting with the second DVD release.  I know they were trying to make it look more similar to the sequels, but I've always hated it.  This is worth the purchase just to have the colouring restored to its proper state.

But they didn't stop there.  While there are a couple of scenes with noisy grain, for the most part the film grain is finely resolved and unobtrusive and the level of detail is a big step up from the previous blu-ray release.

The HDR is put to fantastic use.  Playing the same scenes on the old blu ray and this new 4K UHD, the difference HDR makes is ridiculously apparent.  Deeper blacks, fantastic use of shadow and contrast and specular highlights and... I mean if you do what I did and swap back and forth scene by scene you will never-ever want to settle for the non 4K UHD disc in HDR again.  You will notice all sorts of things you've never noticed before.

The new Atmos mix is likewise a noticeable jump up from the old blu-ray.  The sound mix is punchy and detailed and very dynamic.  The directions that sounds come at you from is appropriate throughout.  All your speakers get a workout.  Comparing to the old blu-ray, the sense of immersion is much greater with the Atmos mix.  Gunfire is punchier.  Explosions hit harder.

This fantastic movie received the royal treatment in its upgrade to 4K UHD.  If you want some demo material for convincing your friends that upgrading from standard blu ray to 4K UHD is worthwhile, here it is.

I was kinda disappointed that AMC isn't doing 20th anniversary screenings (as far as I can tell), but maybe I'll just pick this up instead. 

The main shootout in MI2 is quite possibly the most boring shootout I’ve ever seen. Tom Cruise doesn’t even seem invested in it. Too busy talking to Thandie Newton. 

The FF series is fun but even people shit on 2F2F 

43 minutes ago, johnny said:

The main shootout in MI2 is quite possibly the most boring shootout I’ve ever seen. Tom Cruise doesn’t even seem invested in it. Too busy talking to Thandie Newton. 

The FF series is fun but even people shit on 2F2F 

Well, Tom Cruise doesn't even fire a gun in the first Mission Impossible, so it's still a step forward in his shootout participation.  :p

The Little Mermaid – 4K UHD Blu-ray – 8/10
An animated Disney classic.  Watching with my 9-yo daughter, it’s great to see her on the edge of her seat at tense moments.  And then there’s me singing along with the songs.

I’m posting this mainly because I hear lots of people question the logic of upgrading a traditionally animated film to 4K over the standard Blu-ray.  It turns out that it’s a markedly different viewing experience, primarily because of the implementation of HDR.

Off the bat, what you’ll notice is that the film is now darker, on average.  When the scene is set with cloudy skies, or in a cavern deep underwater, etc. everything appears darker and more gloomy than the standard blu-ray.  This has the effect of creating a larger visual tonal shift for scenes when the sun comes out and shines on the world.  It also, lends pop and sparkle to the many glowing objects, light sources, fireworks, lightning, fire, magical effects, trident blasts, etc.  When these bright elements are on screen, they shine more brightly than on the standard blu-ray.

As a whole, when you watch a scene on the 4K disc and then watch the same scene on the standard blu-ray it feels like the former is a more cinematic experience while the latter feels more like… well… a cartoon.  It definitely changes or enhances the tone of some scenes.

I took some screenshots with my iPhone to illustrate some of the differences.  Now keep in mind that my phone’s cameral can’t capture the full high dynamic range of the TV (nor does my computer monitor), so for the pictures with the HDR versions, the camera either has to clip the brightest parts to white or make the darker areas appear darker than they are to your eyes.

The first one shows how a lot of the movie is overall darker.  The HDR version is on the left and the standard blu-ray is on the right.  While being darker, the yellow of Flounder appears to be a richer, deeper shade of yellow, and the whites of his eyes appear a slightly brighter, cleaner white (to my eyes, if not to the camera).  The sky is clouded over after a storm and you get the sense on the 4K UHD that this is the case, while the standard blu-ray feels like they are in direct sunlight.  I also find myself seeing a lot more texture and detail in the clouds in the background on the 4K UHD whereas everything appears more washed out and flat when I watch the standard blu-ray.

oKHMdt4h.png

The second scene screenshot shows how there is far more dynamic range between this explosion and the background elements.  Because the camera was adjusting its exposure to the brightest parts, the background objects appear darker in this picture than they do to my eye.  But it is easy to see how the blu-ray version appears as a more washed-out version of the scene without the same visual pop due to the limited dynamic range.  With HDR, the brightest parts of this get brighter and the darker parts darker, without losing clarity or detail.

aRgrTSxh.jpg

Same thing with the this shot of the trident.  Notice how the detail in the magical energy is more readily discernable because it is has all the extra range to play with.  Again – all these pictures of the HDR versions don’t do it justice to what you see with your eyes, but still help illustrate differences.

oLt9Vq9h.jpg

In this one, the HDR version appears to have the crown being white instead of yellow, but that’s not what you actually see with your eyes.  In reality the crown is very yellow (not white), but the camera couldn’t capture the yellow being that bright and instead clipped it to white.  On the standard blu-ray the crown appears to be roughly the same brightness as the other yellow glowing thingies, whereas on the 4K disc, the yellow of the crown glows noticeably brighter than the other glowing effects.

QSHNSihh.jpg

• Thanks 1