~Rate The Last Movie/TV Show You Watched Thread~

@Greatoneshere

So I watched Mandy last night, having two glasses of rum and half a J along with it. I'd probably give it a 6/10 if I had to rate it, so...I didn't hate it. 

I really enjoyed, and was very engrossed in, everything until the hanging/burning. I thought there was some emotional weight to it all based on Andrea Riseborough's (sp?) performance. I really liked her and in hindsight feel like the depth and characterization she brought even with those short bits of dialogue and stares was so convincing that the silliness of Cage's self-referential trademark "crazy guy" nonsense felt like a negatively jarring shift in tone once he became the focus. 

To clarify, it's not a shift in tone I have a problem with, it's that to me, the film lost steam and all heft when it switched gears to The Cuuhhhrazy Nick Cage Show. It was entertaining enough that I finished it but ultimately felt like there wasn't much there beyond some chuckle-worthy and/or visually interesting set pieces. 

In short I feel like I thought Mandy as a character was much more interesting to the point I somewhat lost interest after her fridging. Overall, it reminded me of an attempt at a modern take on 80's Dark Fantasy movies mixed with...Conan The Barbarian somehow? The LSD chemist guy with the tiger was pure Conan witch doctor along with a few other story beats. It was definitely worth seeing once but this director just doesn't cut it for me. I'm of the opinion that style is most enjoyable when in service of the story first and foremost, the other way around tends to feel like empty calories to me. It's certainly better than Beyond the Black Rainbow, I actually kind of hated that one. 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Yeah, I disagree, I don't believe it's just style over substance but rather style enhancing the film and what Nicolas Cage's character goes through (a descent into darkness) I felt was masterfully done rather than just "crazy". But I'm glad you gave it a shot. :) 

I want a prequel called Just Mandy. I swear I've had several girlfriends who basically look and sound like her, including the band shirts. 

My favorite scene in the film was actually him watching her come out of the water through that bonfire, that was really nice. 

tumblr_inline_paxv58JTYW1sd497m_540.gif

THE PREDATOR 4K
2.5/5

Don’t know if this was a bad movie that was was trying to be taken seriously, or they were completely aware and went with it. It plays out like an old 80’s sci-fi movie from bad dialog, quick backstory before a death scene, and the human bad guy chewing away at some gum. At least the disc was solid from a sound and audio point of view. Atmos really uses the overhead speakers nicely

Justice League Vs. the Fatal Five 3.5/5

One of the better DC animated movies. I liked the new Green Lantern and the problems she is dealing with. Plus it was classic Justice League from costumes and voice talent. Plus the bad guys do live up to being the “fatal five” with some gruesome impalements. Watched my digital copy that came with my 4K disc with headphones. So no idea how the actual DTS-HDMA track really and will give a few scenes a go when it ain’t midnight at home. The animation was actually pretty great with a much brighter colour pallet on display (compare to past releases) 

Alien 40th Anniversary 4k

Story: 

Its one of the greatest horror films nothing more to be said  10/10

Video:

The resolution bump from great looking 1080p version adds some  nice details . The darkness and the clarity to shadows make it a standout and add so much to the film. 8.5/10

Audio:

Same as the previous 1080p version , no atmos is a bummer and I feel like the 5.1 is very front heavy but its a product of its time. 7/10

91x9g9izEdL._SL1500_.jpg

Glass

What a disappointment. The first third was just boring and the ending is full of wtf. I know playing against expectations is the in thing right now but this was garbage.

3.5/10

Lego Movie 2

I absolutely loved the first one enjoyed batman and ninjago. They try really hard to capture the magic of the first here but just can't get there, I'm not sure if it is that it is really a lot worse or just retreading the same ground so it doesn't feel as fresh. Still quite a few laugh out loud moments for me. I'm a huge fan of Lord and Miller's borderline non-sequitur humor going back to criminally underrated Clone High so several of the gags in these Lego movies are right up my alley.

7.5/10

The Wandering Earth

oh boy, China's first big scifi/disaster epic is quite a thing. Michael Bay would call it ridiculous while simultaneously masturbating furiously to it. The plot is beyond absurd, I'm not sure if it loops around to be so bad its good but it is certainly something. For the most part just a string of CGI catastrophes in which characters have to heroically sacrifice themselves one after the other. They pretty much took Armageddon and turned the dial up to 1000

2/10 if you want to see a good grounded thoughtful movie

a much higher number/10 if you want to get drunk and yell at the TV 

1 minute ago, johnny said:

You’ve sold me on the wandering earth. Will get drunk and watch. 

I too will look into it. Hopefully I can find a 3D version of the film and get myself nice and stoned. THAT’S the way to watch movies, not alcohol you idiot :p

Blade Runner 2049    10/10

I just re-watched it for the second time and it just keeps growing on me. This might be one of my favorite sequels of all time at this point. As a long-time Blade Runner fan, I think it's just fantastic and just builds on the original in a way a sequel ideally always should, yet very rarely actually does in cinema. 

Also, it's absolutely fucking gorgeous to the point some scenes nearly make me shed a tear. The term poetry in motion applies I think. 

Apollo 11

A documentary about Apollo 11, I know shocking. There is no overall narrator just actual recorded conversations from the mission, it covers everything from the going to the launchpad to just past quarantine, you won't get any new information out of this if you have read or watched things on the mission before. What is really special about the doc though is the footage, tons of loving preserved and transfered 65mm footage that looks like it was shot yesterday in some cases, awe inspiring is the best way to describe some of the shots. Absolute must watch for space fans.

9/10

Cold pursuit

I could not figure out if this was a joke trailer made into a full length movie on some studio execs coke fueled whim. It is aware of what it is and plays it up with over the top badguys and dialogue. I had fun so I guess that is good enough.

7/10

Fighting with my Family 3.5/5 

I was really into NXT when Paige was wrestling and this movie speeds through all that stuff so I was pretty disappointed but by getting rid of that stuff they made a biopic that’s got some good family drama. Tried to give it a fair rating as a movie and not what I wish they explored. 

Destroyer

great performance from Kidman, the story and secondary characters are merely fine

7/10

Iron Sky The Coming Race

I was hoping for so bad its good but no its just bad bad, avoid this movie

2/10

Fighting With My Family

I will echo what Johny says they totally gloss over Paige's time in NXT. It makes it seem like she jumped from the performance center right to the main roster but it is a movie and a solid one at that. Well acted, directed and written. Nothing extraordinary but just good all around.

7.5/10

BAD TIMES AT THE EL ROYALE 

:star::star::halfstar::nostar::nostar:

I was hoping to really like this film but it was film oozing with style but the payoffs were so-so. Great cast they had for the film and some of them are surprisingly bumped off out of know where. Which worked great with the audio track, but needed a higher volume set because the dialog comes off a little quiet. Then out of no where, you think your speakers are going to blow themselves out with these surprise deaths. Video quality was good and wish I could of seen the 4K version, but for some reason it never got a Canadian release. It might be worth a rental, but that’s about it.

7 minutes ago, johnny said:

How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World - 4.5/5

this might be the best looking animated film on 4K 

Can’t wait to see the movie but I have to wait a few more weeks for my 3D import to get here. Last 2 were amazing in 3D and hope for more of the same 

11 hours ago, johnny said:

How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World - 4.5/5

this might be the best looking animated film on 4K 

picked it up, but haven't watched it yet.  For reference, have you seen Hotel Transylvania 3 on 4K UHD Blu-ray?  That's the one I'd currently give the crown to.

On 5/22/2019 at 9:15 AM, nacthenud said:

picked it up, but haven't watched it yet.  For reference, have you seen Hotel Transylvania 3 on 4K UHD Blu-ray?  That's the one I'd currently give the crown to.

Haven’t watched any of the Hotel Transylvania moviesn

On 5/22/2019 at 12:15 PM, nacthenud said:

That is a beautiful UHD but I think I would put Into the Spiderverse just slightly above it, and Captain Underpants isn’t bad either

Californication: Season 6 - ???/10

This season is a total train wreck but I keep coming back for Hank, Karen, Charlie, Marcy and Stu's antics. The rest is just absurdly bad, kudos. I don't even know what to rate it because despite that, I keep watching!

Booksmart - 10/10 - I never knew that I would connect so heavily with a movie about a teenage lesbian full of music I detest. But I connected so much with Amy because I was introverted and unsure of myself in high school just like she was. Then when I graduated I took off to another continent to find myself. I don't know man but this funny as hell movie had me tearing up. And my goodness if Beanie Feldstein (Molly) isn't in every movie ever going forward that will be a great injustice. She was so good.

spacer.png

I watched "Feel Good to Die" and thought it was thoroughly refreshing and original idea for a show. Well, the premise is sort of not original (It's got a groundhog's day "time loop" element - though it's not through the whole show). In any case I was intrigued from beginning to end.

9/10

On 5/26/2019 at 10:45 PM, Mercury33 said:

Rogue One(RW) - 9/10

I fucking love this movie. The whole

movie is great but my god the final on the beach. The stakes, the self sacrifice everything about it is incredible. 

co-sign... the "War" is really well executed... despite what critics said, none of the characters feel disposable or forgettable