~Rate The Last Movie/TV Show You Watched Thread~

giphy.gif

MARY POPPINS RETURNS 4K
4.25/5

Lot more emotional then I was expecting. Some good touching songs, but nothing will beat the classics. Not the best 4K disc but the hdr/colours really show their stuff with our bath time/animated sequence. (Had also vaped some Trainwreck beforehand and helped make them really shine) The Atmos track has a couple of cool overhead moments but overall were used more to envelop the viewers with a more robust musical track instead. Not that it’s a bad time, but wouldn’t of minded a few more environmental elements instead

On 3/29/2019 at 4:30 PM, johnny said:

The main shootout in MI2 is quite possibly the most boring shootout I’ve ever seen. Tom Cruise doesn’t even seem invested in it. Too busy talking to Thandie Newton. 

The FF series is fun but even people shit on 2F2F 

2F2F is easily one of the better Fast and Furious movies because it knows exactly what it is and does that well. Same reason Bad Boys II is epic insanity. 

On 4/1/2019 at 9:00 AM, Greatoneshere said:

2F2F is easily one of the better Fast and Furious movies because it knows exactly what it is and does that well. Same reason Bad Boys II is epic insanity. 

I don't know if it qualifies as a good movie, but I love 2F2F. It doesn't take itself the least bit serious, and I love how Tyrese is always eating. :lol:

Bohemian Rhapsody

First off I am a huge Queen fan so of course I loved the sound track. The majority of this movie is really good if not historically accurate but that is to be expected with any bio-pic movie nowadays. Great job by Malek. What is not good however is the editing. How in the world did this win the Oscar for best editing, that alone invalidates the entirety of the Oscars for me, this thing should have been up for the Razzie in editing if they gave one out for it.

7/10, with even acceptable but not great editing it would be 8.5 or maybe even 9 

11 hours ago, EternallDarkness said:

I don't know if it qualifies as a good movie, but I love 2F2F. It doesn't take itself the least bit serious, and I love how Tyrese is always eating. :lol:

Tyrese Gibson's entire character and Paul Walker's hilarious reactions to him in the film are easily one of the best parts. Classic.

triple frontier

I have no idea what the morality of the characters is supposed to be, they change at the drop of hat. Only moral I guess is greed is bad. The action was decent

5/10

Bumblebee 

Let Travis Knight handle everything related to this franchise from now one please, hire guards specifically to keep Micheal Bay away. This was a wonderful light hearted action romp. Not only is set in the 80s it pulls in a lot of 80s movies motifs and themes, it feels like an 80s movie that was filmed today. Just a great fun movie from a franchise that seemed like it should have been put out to pasture long ago. 

8.5/10

Bumblebee - 4K UHD Blu-ray - 8/10

As a fan of the 80's cartoons this is what I've wanted from this franchise all along.  I am so happy I lived to see this one after so many terrible films.  I am sad that this movie didn't make the same money as the previous ones and will  no doubt end up moving further back towards the trash Bay films.  This movie was definitely saved by smart editing - if you watch the deleted scenes..... there were some BAD ideas put to film that thankfully didn't make it into the final version.

The picture is very nice and definitely enhanced by HDR.  Maybe it's a function of having become used to movies in HDR now, but with ones like this, I'm watching it thinking, this all looks really nice, but I bet the blu-ray looks almost the same.  Nope.  So much nope.  Everything looks dramatically better in HDR.  Especially the scenes on Cybertron.  Every scene I jumped to to compare looked noticeably better on the 4K UHD disc.

The audio was nice and punchy.  The Atmos track was nice and immersive, enveloping you in the sound field.  Bass hits hard at appropriate times.  

In terms of pure technical showpieces, this is a step down from Transformers: The Last Knight which was demo material for audio and video throughout.  But it is still a great looking and sounding disc and in every other regard, it sits high atop the hill for the franchise.

• Thanks 1

The Dirt - 7.5/10

An oddly charming and somewhat ambitious feeling flick despite its obvious not-too-high budget...or maybe it just looks that way because the wigs look like from fucking Party City?

I had read the book prior and consider Motley Crue a guilty pleasure of mine so what the hell...very entertaining and trashy in some good ways.

Triple Frontier - 7/10

It started out really really good showing it could of been a kick-ass theater experience but kinda fizzled toward the end. Aflecks character changed personalities so drastically I didn't even care about his fate. Good action though. 

____

Love Death & Robots - 10/10

This should have been titled "Heavy Metal 3" and if it was it would be closer to the superior first one. Incredible animation and story telling. 

____

Bright - 5/10

Fantasy buddy cop thriller. It was alright. It was also weird and too long.

____

IO - 4/10

Low budget sci-fi end of the world boy meets girl thing. 

____

Unicorn Store - 6/10

A pretty typical inoffensive art house about a selfish girl who learns to be unselfish. It was alright. 

____

Santa Clarita Diet (seasons 1-3) - 8/10

Comedy about living as a zombie. It's real good. 

ANT-MAN AND THE WASP 3D 3/5

It’s an ok movie to me. I dug the action, but found some of the stuff they were being funny on, forced. The 3D was great though with great separation and a few in your face moments. Plus it was one of the few Disney movies that featured good bass

SHAZAM 3D 3.5/5

A fun DC movie romp, but a few scenes I think might of been a bit scary for kids (at least in my viewing) Glad to see them also hide Toronto better than most other Hollywood movies. 3D was also pretty good and will be getting it once released

BUMBLEBEE 4K 3.5/5

A Transformers movies with and actual plot. Ok I admit that I own every one of the movies but I have only seen the first one from beginning to end. Seen bits and pieces of others on tv but looking for the time to watch my 3D copies, and wish this also got a 3D release (paramount has stopped releasing any 3D movies on disc worldwide) Good Atmos track that really rumbles with the action and with some cool overhead moments. Found the 4K presentation pretty nice with a slight soften look to add that 80’s look. The Cybertron battles was so short but so beautiful to watch, and hope we get a War on Cybertron movie and not another fucking Michael Bay movie

• Thanks 1

Robin Hood (2018)

I had no idea this movie even existed. I let the person I am seeing pick the movie for the night, she may not have that responsibility anymore.

This is a really really really bad movie, just dumb and ridiculous and not the good kind of ridiculous like Fury Road or similar. There are what can only be described as crossbow machine guns that bust up cover like a 50 caliber rifle, the sheriff is in a plot with the church to take over all of England, costumes and sets look like they were pulled from some alternate future young adult movie. I cannot think of a single redeeming thing about it.

1/10

• Haha 1

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel / Season 2 - 9/10

I really dig this show front to back and season 2 was actually much more interesting and generally great. The sets, costumes, dialog, atmosphere...everything works and is beautifully realized. 

The most appealing aspects of this show are its subtlety and refreshing relative lightheartedness to me and it does it splendidly and smartly without devolving into meaninglessness. 

Skyline - 6/10

A special effects alien invasion movie with the black guy from Scrubs (who dies of course because every black character in Hollywood movies gets killed) and some overly pretty stupid white people. It was fun and it ended silly....

____

Beyond Skyline - 5/10

The sequel to the original staring some new characters set in the same time frame as the original who meet up with the survivors of the first movie who have suddenly turned into asians. It was still fun and it ended even sillier with a blooper reel. 

3 hours ago, ALIEN-gunner said:

Skyline - 6/10

A special effects alien invasion movie with the black guy from Scrubs (who dies of course because every black character in Hollywood movies gets killed) and some overly pretty stupid white people. It was fun and it ended silly....

____

Beyond Skyline - 5/10

The sequel to the original staring some new characters set in the same time frame as the original who meet up with the survivors of the first movie who have suddenly turned into asians. It was still fun and it ended even sillier with a blooper reel. 

wow, wasn't aware they made a sequel

16 hours ago, ALIEN-gunner said:

Skyline - 6/10

____

Beyond Skyline - 5/10

Uhhhh LL Cool J survives Deep Blue Sea so 😝

Overlord - 4K UHD Blu ray - 7.5/10

This was not exactly what I expected.  I thought it would be a zombie movie with WW2 as a backdrop, but instead, it was a war movie with a zombie element.  Regardless of expectations vs reality, it was an enjoyable film.  The acting is done well with conviction, not camp.  The story plays out in a way where I could see several options for them to go in at every turn, so I didn't know every twist it would take in advance.  Violent and brutal at times, which I'm mostly neutral on.

The 4K HDR has some great detail at times in close-ups.  Being mostly a dark film, the image is enhanced for the deep blacks and excellent shadow details, as well as nice specular highlights gleaming through the darkness.

The Dolby Atmos soundtrack has some demo-worthy moments and is a bigger standout than the visuals.  Particularly near the beginning there's a scene where there are intense sounds whizzing around you from all sides.  Good stuff.
  • Thanks 1

Avengers - 4K UHD Blu ray - 9/10

I'm assuming everyone has seen this movie.  It's awesome.  It's great how many of the jokes still land even though I've seen it several times.  My youngest daughter watched it for the first time this time.  She had all the right reactions.  Cheered at the right times, was sad, laughed, got excited.  She wanted to go back and rewatch a couple of the funny scenes with the Hulk after it was done.

This is a stand-out HDR showcase.  Damn, I did not expect it to look so good on this format. The lighting throughout this movie is perfect HDR material.  And there are so many glowing things and specular highlights and light sources and seriously, the visual candy drips thickly here.

Audio is also great.  Very dynamic Dolby Atmos mix with aggressive use of surround and height channels throughout.  There were a couple scenes where dialog could have been a bit louder relative to the score.  I found that I had to turn the sound system up quite a bit to get everything to normal volume levels though.  For most movies, my receiver is turned up to 60-62.  Here, I had to turn it up to 72.5 to get similar sound.  Other than that, it was a really nice sounding disc.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, silentbob said:

Yeah you’ll find that with all of Disney’s latest movie releases. Be it the DTS-HDMA tracks on the bluray or the Atmos on the 4K release. Usually need a 10-15db boost on my receiver to bring it to reference quality 

Indeed.  Hence the term "Disney Atmouse" 

On 3/13/2019 at 2:33 AM, silentbob said:

THE UMBRELLA ACADEMY: S1 9/10

Only 10 episodes on Netflix but they were an awesome 10 episodes. Great acting, good SFX and one great soundtrack. Hopefully more will watch and Netflix announces a 2nd season soon

I thought it was one of the worst superhero series out there. 

Vice

Transformative performance by Bale. The serious biopic parts were good, the "comedy" elements were just total out of place everytime they popped up.

6.5/10

Replicas

Just a bad movie all around with some low level 90s CGI for a robot and a terrible ending

2.5/10

JAWS 3-D (in 3D) 3/5

I remember this being a cheesy movie and it was, but not nearly as cheesy as I remember. Ok the 3D is intense with a ton of that cheesy zooming in on an object as it slowly pops out of the screen and into your face. It does this A LOT and at times becomes a bit hard focusing in on these objects. Plus the SFX are. . . pretty bad with tons of terrible green screen action. This is 80’s cheese at its best?!? Must see for 3D owners but overall best to stop after the first one

Mandy

This is probably the most inexplicable movie I've ever seen. The cinematography, direction, and what I would broadly call the tone of the movie is creeping dread and cosmic horror complete with murky night skies, long silences, reverb, and brilliant double exposures, but the actual plot content seems like something ripped from Slayer lyrics. The movie constantly subverts and undermines its beauty with sequences where it appears to turn and smile at the camera, a la Blue Velvet, and much of it strains already strained credulity. It seemed to be in constant conflict with itself, but somehow instead of becoming a schizoid mess, it ultimately coheres in a way that doesn't really make sense to me.

4/4 two sign of the horns way up

It also got me listening to King Crimson again.

Russian Doll

Natasha Lyonne carried the show. It was competent as hell, and I'm always down for more Groundhog Day, but like my high-school essays, it never went above and beyond and went somewhere truly new.

3/4

All three Captain America movies have now been released on 4K UHD Blu Ray. One of the biggest draws to the double-dip for me was the collectible Steelbooks that have matching-themed cases, with the same framing on the front covers and iterations of sheilds on the back covers.