~Rate The Last Movie/TV Show You Watched Thread~

Godzilla Minus One 8/10

This movie takes Godzilla back to his roots as a terrifying force of nature who doesn't give a DAMN about mankind. Essentially a remake of the original Godzilla movie from back in the day, the movie works for the most part despite some questionable script choices and some shaky CGI in some places. Godzilla's model is awesome, but his movement is stiff and robotic especially when he's walking. Where this movie really succeeds is in giving us human characters you're actually invested in and care about, and with the AMAZING score. I'd be curious to see where they go if they continue with this timeline which I expect they will. The movie has been a pretty big hit. Godzilla is straightup ASSHOLE in this which was a bit jarring for me :p

spacer.png

[plex]

Legionnaire: 6/10

Finally they made a movie about that famous disease! Legionnaire is a film based on an idea (according to the opening credits) that Jean-Claude Van Damme had. Van Damme plays a boxer named Alain in 1920s France. There's a gangster of sorts there who demands him to take a dive in a boxing match. He agrees but has a change of heart during the fight and wins. He immediately flees but also has a backup plan to catch a train with a woman he knew in the past, however, things go sideways and he joins the legionnaires. So the film turns into a mostly standard war drama. I would say the war part is stronger than the wannabe Casablanca part but a lot of the movie feels misguided.

I can understand that JCVD probably didn't want to be typecasted as an action star but unfortunately he isn't the greatest actor and the opening scenes are a bit awkward. He's outshined by the supporting cast by a large margin here. The story while coherent doesn't feel complete. The plot point that propels the story forward is Alain's relationship with this woman from his past that he was supposed to flee with and by the end it really doesn't amount to anything. Overall it is okay but if you're itching for classic Van Damme this isn't it.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

spacer.png

[plex]

Legionnaire: 6/10

Finally they made a movie about that famous disease! Legionnaire is a film based on an idea (according to the opening credits) that Jean-Claude Van Damme had. Van Damme plays a boxer named Alain in 1920s France. There's a gangster of sorts there who demands him to take a dive in a boxing match. He agrees but has a change of heart during the fight and wins. He immediately flees but also has a backup plan to catch a train with a woman he knew in the past, however, things go sideways and he joins the legionnaires. So the film turns into a mostly standard war drama. I would say the war part is stronger than the wannabe Casablanca part but a lot of the movie feels misguided.

I can understand that JCVD probably didn't want to be typecasted as an action star but unfortunately he isn't the greatest actor and the opening scenes are a bit awkward. He's outshined by the supporting cast by a large margin here. The story while coherent doesn't feel complete. The plot point that propels the story forward is Alain's relationship with this woman from his past that he was supposed to flee with and by the end it really doesn't amount to anything. Overall it is okay but if you're itching for classic Van Damme this isn't it.

Was working at my local video rental store (mom & pop shop) when this came out. We must have gotten easily 50 copies of this, definitely not one of JCVD's better efforts.

So I just got done watching 2003's 'Identity' starring Ray Liotta, John Cusack, Amanda Peet, John Hawkes (love this guy), Alfred Molina, John C. McGinley ... so many others to boot. Fun ride & the method in which the story gets told is intriguing as well. Solid acting all around, enjoyable twist at the end, overall a fun ride & highly recommend checking it out.

Side note: Amanda Peet, whom I miss & don't see her in much anymore unfortunately, is even more unfortunately married to David Benioff ... and I still haven't forgiven that guy.

• True 1

8 hours ago, SoberChef said:

So I just got done watching 2003's 'Identity' starring Ray Liotta, John Cusack, Amanda Peet, John Hawkes (love this guy), Alfred Molina, John C. McGinley ... so many others to boot. Fun ride & the method in which the story gets told is intriguing as well. Solid acting all around, enjoyable twist at the end, overall a fun ride & highly recommend checking it out.

Side note: Amanda Peet, whom I miss & don't see her in much anymore unfortunately, is even more unfortunately married to David Benioff ... and I still haven't forgiven that guy.

Identity is an underrated little gem by a quietly great director, James Mangold (Cop Land, Knight & Day, The Wolverine, Logan, Indiana Jones 5). Fun little movie.

• True 2

I loved IDENTITY and would love to see a 4K release with an updated Atmos track. I think that Bruce Willis movie HOSTAGES came out that summer. Sort like Identity in that not many saw but would probably recommend to friends. I think it came out close to that time frame as well. 

THE WIZ 3.5/5

Let me say I had a long day at work today (Xmas busy shoppers) and had a good couple bowls. This was on tv and started watching, and it’s the perfect stoner movie. Colours, weird shit everywhere and some great music. 

• Halal 1

3 hours ago, silentbob said:

I loved IDENTITY and would love to see a 4K release with an updated Atmos track. I think that Bruce Willis movie HOSTAGES came out that summer. Sort like Identity in that not many saw but would probably recommend to friends. I think it came out close to that time frame as well. 

THE WIZ 3.5/5

Let me say I had a long day at work today (Xmas busy shoppers) and had a good couple bowls. This was on tv and started watching, and it’s the perfect stoner movie. Colours, weird shit everywhere and some great music. 

The movie Hostage with Bruce Willis came out two years after Identity in 2005 but is also underrated with an unhinged Ben Foster performance. People should check that one out too.

• Halal 1

spacer.png

[viki]

Remember (리멤버 – 아들의 전쟁): 6/10

Someone asked me a little bit ago how could I enjoy a Korean drama over some highly acclaimed and overrated other TV show (a bit hypocritical on their part to put down a show they haven't seen over something they have) and the simple answer is I like the unique ideas that are usually presented in a Korean show over something like a Marvel or Star Wars or Yellowstone, or whatever. A Korean show usually shows me something I haven't seen before and that is something I enjoy. A guy who's allergic to human touch but a woman poses as a robot and works for him? Sign me up. A lady cursed to run a hotel for dead people? Sounds cool to me. A family where only the women are strong. Sure why not? But a show where a guy has a really good memory? Not as good a concept.

Unfortunately Remember is the show with the guy with a good memory. While the overall story arc is somewhat compelling the unique writing I generally look for turned into common tropes. Something that was novel in another show feels a bit too cliche here. Crooked attorney, check. Crooked prosecutor, check. Evil CEO, double check. Not to mention people who have connections in the past but don't realize it until later in life. All of these elements combined make for something you'll get tired of seeing. But something I won't get tired of seeing is Park Min-young. I could watch her reading the Korean dictionary and not get tired of it. :daydream:

As for the show it revolves around a young man, Seo Jin-woo, and his father. These two have a perversely positive relationship. Like the best father son relationship the universe has ever known, which they overemphasize because later the father is framed for murder by a rich CEO's son. They have enough money to buy the loyalty of anyone in the legal system so the case is lost and the father sentenced to death. Seo Jin has a unique ability called hyperthymesia where he has a literal photographic memory, however, the father suffers from Alzheimer's disease so the longer he is in prison the more he forgets. So having been betrayed by another attorney, Jin-Woo and his amazing memory decide to become a lawyer so he can exonerate his father and reveal the true culprit. But easier said than done because as I said the CEO can buy anyone's loyalty and basically frame anyone for murder so it's a long journey to get there.

I do think there are some good performances, Park Sung-woong is quite good as is most of the cast but the whole show feels a bit too overdramatic. The father son relationship is very over the top, obviously to manipulate your feelings when he's in prison. The CEO's son, Nam Gyu-man, is also quite evil and we get the picture after so long but the show keeps laying it on. Most of the show is the struggle to get the guy into court but there's a series of roadblocks and you would think the good guys would maybe anticipate that your witness might get threatened or someone would get bought off but it happens so many times, it's just too much. It is a decent show that maybe wears out it's welcome by the end.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gamer.tv said:

Super Mario Movie - loved it, I know it’s not A+ amazing, but it’s what I wanted it to be. 

A lot of people have this take and I just don't get it. Should we not expect A+ amazing from one of the most popular characters/brands in the world? In a world where they are doing interesting things with fucking Barbie and Lego I just don't see why Mario can't have that.

• True 1

PREY 3.75/5

Beautiful looking movie (thanks Alberta) and I liked the traps and action for the limited weapons available. I also liked the more primitive looking predator and armour they wore. Neat having the white people not being subtitled for the French they speak, but we understand our Native Americans fine. Watched on Disney+ and thankfully included an Atmos track for the stream, and it’s another character itself and really sets the mood/tension. Great panning work with the Predator chasing from behind and above in the tree tops. I mentioned earlier that maybe they should Assassins Creed this franchise and have them face a different era of warriors. Would love to see them face against some Vikings, but up in the cold tundra like area. 

The Starling Girl 4/5 

Maestro 3/5 bradley cooper really wants to win an oscar huh 

Rebel Moon 1/5 

Saltburn 4/5 the third act has issues but still enjoyed it 

Gran Turismo 3/5

Killers of the Flower Moon 5/5 

Past Lives 4/5 

May December 4/5 

The Holdovers 4/5 

Blue Beetle 2/5 

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, johnny said:

The Starling Girl 4/5 

Maestro 3/5 bradley cooper really wants to win an oscar huh 

Rebel Moon 1/5 

Saltburn 4/5 the third act has issues but still enjoyed it 

Gran Turismo 3/5

Killers of the Flower Moon 5/5 

Past Lives 4/5 

May December 4/5 

The Holdovers 4/5 

Blue Beetle 2/5 

Someone powered through a lot of the Oscar type movies of 2023, nice! I haven't seen any of these yet except Gran Turismo, which was better and more fun than it had any right to be, I'd probably give that a 3.5/5 (or a 7/10 as I usually use a 10-point scale).

spacer.png

[Netflix]

The Interpreter: 8/10

The Interpreter is one Sydney Pollack's final films. It's a political thriller like you'd see back in the day. It follows an overarching theme about a fictional African nation of Matobo and the once peaceful leader Zuwanie that now is an advocate for genocide. In the opening scene of the film a couple of dudes are gunned down by kids a trick by said genocide advocate. Back in the United States Nicole Kidman plays Silvia, the brother of one of the men who were gunned down. She is an interpreter for the united nations. She is from Matobo and speaks the language, Ku, and overhears some people speaking Ku after hours at the UN. It is understood to be an assassination plot against Zuwanie but upon reporting it Silvia becomes a suspect herself. She then meets with a dignitary protection agent Keller (Sean Penn) and soon we explore how an interpreter and DPD agent go about life. Interestingly enough there is no tacked on love story, just genuine concern for the two people. It's a nicely constructed thriller. You'll have an inkling of what's going on but it's an entertaining ride nevertheless. Penn and Kidman are both good and it's well written enough to be more the political fluff.

• Thanks 1

spacer.png

[blu-ray]

Undefeated Bahamut Chronicle: 7/10

This show is kind of like Game of Thrones but if they also had giant mechs. There is a large lore dump up front about a coup d'etat and kingdom falling and this and that. Basically the main character Lux Arcadia is the prince of the fallen kingdom and he finds himself at an all girl's academy one of the girls happens to be Lisha Atismata, the princess of the new kingdom. From there it's up to Lux to prove that he belongs while protecting his friends while trying to suppress and uprising from some outside factions. It's a lot to take in and while it doesn't necessarily take away from the enjoyment of the show it certainly would benefit from a bit more breathing room. The show is mostly lighthearted, kind of like a harem but with some cool mech fights (the mechs in this world are called drag-rides) and they have cool catch phrases like, "RELOAD ON FIRE!" Overall it's not a groundbreaking show in the least but is entertaining with some cool moments with some fan service sprinkled in for those that celebrate.

• Thanks 1

JURASSIC WORLD: DOMINION 3/5

I’m not expecting a very smart movie script would be needed/had for this film. It’s pretty much a popcorn big blockbuster leave your brain at the door kind of movie. That also needs to be seen LOUD and BIG. So I got high, popped in my 4K disc, also got it playing with my 7.2.4 DTS:X setup. The movie looks beautiful on my screen, and the DTS:X track was very lively. From good panning front to back and overhead, nd loved the snarls/growling sounds. I couldn’t help but feel that the subwoofer action was held back, and could have had a better bigger dinosaur presence weight wise. The bad guy is a Steve Jobs ripoff, cool references too past movies, good Dino action but some ok CGI. they do a weird CGI close up, looks odd cgi lighting wise, raise it up over an object to see the livelier animatronic version. The weird “B” plot that links our past and present heroes felt weird and unnecessary. I wish they dealt with a world dealing with a new world that is now populated in dinosaurs (surprisingly quickly in 4 years) for world dominion. Cause the opening T-Rex scene is what I wanna see more of, but it was still loud and dumb enough for a viewing. Plus it’s a great 4K disc to show off the setup.

LES MAUVAISES HERBES 4.5/5

I believe this recently won a few of our Canadian acting awards and can see why. Canadian actor in debt with the mob, hides in the northern forested area of Quebec and befriends an older gentlemen and a lesbian. I won’t say much but the eventually work together and grow weed for the local Hell’s Angels. Stuff happens that is both funny and sad, but how it all plays out has me in tears. Glad I stopped at random on this free movie station preview and watched this wonderful Canadian flick.

Having finished up Sons of Anarchy the other day, I've had some time to reflect on it. I give the series as a whole 8/10. Really strong the first 5 seasons, the last couple were something of a roller coaster, but it ended on a damn near perfect note. I don't watch a ton of TV, but I think I can safely put this one in my Top Ten.

• Like 1
  • Halal 1

spacer.png

[Netflix]

Heat: 9/10

This is one of those movies I never got around to seeing despite it being regarded as a classic. The nearly 3 hour runtime is a bit intimidating up front but the film is so engaging the movie flows by rather quickly. Right from the opening credits you see this cast is stacked from top to bottom Al Pacino and Robert DeNiro are the headliners but Henry Rollins, Dennis Haysbert, even Xander Berkeley! In any case another heist movie from Mann, it even feels like there was an ode to Thief in one of the earlier scenes. The film is one part heist movie, another part crime movie and then a revenge movie sprinkled in the mix sort of. But it's well written enough that we can see the plight of Al Pacino's cop character and Robert DeNiro's criminal character. In the end it comes down to who's going to sacrifice more to get what they want.

• Hype 2

2 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Last of the Mohicans - 8/10

Yeah, way lttp here, never seen it before. Definitely plays into those Native stereotypes with the whole white savior thing at play, but a well done movie. 

Promontory is one of those perfect musical tracks that creates such an awe-inspiring climax.

• True 1

10 hours ago, thewhyteboar said:

Promontory is one of those perfect musical tracks that creates such an awe-inspiring climax.

Oh, for real. The score was a 10/10.

11 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

spacer.png

[Netflix]

Heat: 9/10

This is one of those movies I never got around to seeing despite it being regarded as a classic. The nearly 3 hour runtime is a bit intimidating up front but the film is so engaging the movie flows by rather quickly. Right from the opening credits you see this cast is stacked from top to bottom Al Pacino and Robert DeNiro are the headliners but Henry Rollins, Dennis Haysbert, even Xander Berkeley! In any case another heist movie from Mann, it even feels like there was an ode to Thief in one of the earlier scenes. The film is one part heist movie, another part crime movie and then a revenge movie sprinkled in the mix sort of. But it's well written enough that we can see the plight of Al Pacino's cop character and Robert DeNiro's criminal character. In the end it comes down to who's going to sacrifice more to get what they want.

Hey, I recently...acquired...that one. One of those I haven't seen, but plan on soon.

3 hours ago, gamer.tv said:

We watched Sisu last night. Easy 8/0 but it was like the action of Rambo with the plausibility of that refrigerator scene in Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

True, except Sisu killing Nazis was great all the way through. I mean, it felt probable enough when watching it - dude got lucky a lot. :p 

2 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Hey, I recently...acquired...that one. One of those I haven't seen, but plan on soon.

Report back when you see it! One of my favorite films of all time.

3 hours ago, TheLeon said:

Speaking of Michael Mann, I saw Ferrari this afternoon. It’s solid. Penelope Cruz is by far the highlight (well, and some of the racing footage was great too). 

Give it a score and rank it among all the Michael Mann movies you've seen. Mostly because I love Mann. :p 

7 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Give it a score and rank it among all the Michael Mann movies you've seen. Mostly because I love Mann. :p 

I would give it maybe a 7/10, lower than Collateral (my favorite Mann) Heat, Last of the Mohicans, The Insider, and Thief. Higher than Blackhat and Miami Vice (although I haven’t seen this one in a long time, and I’ve been told I should give it another shot). 

• Hype 1

5 hours ago, TheLeon said:

I would give it maybe a 7/10, lower than Collateral (my favorite Mann) Heat, Last of the Mohicans, The Insider, and Thief. Higher than Blackhat and Miami Vice (although I haven’t seen this one in a long time, and I’ve been told I should give it another shot). 

Ooof, a 7/10 is harsh (or is this a Michael Mann scale as opposed to all movies?). Miami Vice is really good and deserves a re-assessment, I actually prefer the director's cut (same with Blackhat, whose director's cut just dropped in the official 4k Blackhat release). 

Also, I'm assuming no mention of Manhunter, Ali, or Public Enemies as you haven't seen those?

4 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Ooof, a 7/10 is harsh (or is this a Michael Mann scale as opposed to all movies?). Miami Vice is really good and deserves a re-assessment, I actually prefer the director's cut (same with Blackhat, whose director's cut just dropped in the official 4k Blackhat release). 

Also, I'm assuming no mention of Manhunter, Ali, or Public Enemies as you haven't seen those?

See, this is why I don’t like scoring movies! :p For me, this 7/10 means it’s good. I was entertained, it’s well made, but I don’t think it’s really going to stick with me long term. I probably won’t watch it again. And expectations based on who is in front of and behind the camera does factor into the score a little. 

And yes, the movies I didn’t include are ones I haven’t seen. Ali in particular is a weird one for me to have skipped, but if I start trying to explain all the weird gaps in my film knowledge, we’re gonna be here all day. :p

• Halal 1

On 1/7/2024 at 3:20 AM, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Last of the Mohicans - 8/10

Yeah, way lttp here, never seen it before. Definitely plays into those Native stereotypes with the whole white savior thing at play, but a well done movie. 

On 1/7/2024 at 6:06 AM, thewhyteboar said:

SUCH a phenomenal film/book/soundtrack! Also filmed in locations not too far from me which always warms my heart, such a strong foundation of film history in central/upstate NY!

BULLET TRAIN 3.5/5

Yet another fun action/comedy movie with plenty of action from David Leitch. I really like seeing Pitt’s comedic chops on display (much like Burn After Reading) I really dug the cast for movie, even if they were nothing more then really a cameo before being offed/get off the train. Liked the small backstories and their thoughts on people and what they learn from Thomas The Tank Engine. Might of dragged a tiny bit here and there, but I enjoyed the ride. Watched on Prime in 4K which also included an Atmos track. Both were pretty good but you can still see where streaming has some limitations over a good 4k disc.

• Halal 1

47 minutes ago, silentbob said:

BULLET TRAIN 3.5/5

Yet another fun action/comedy movie with plenty of action from David Leitch. I really like seeing Pitt’s comedic chops on display (much like Burn After Reading) I really dug the cast for movie, even if they were nothing more then really a cameo before being offed/get off the train. Liked the small backstories and their thoughts on people and what they learn from Thomas The Tank Engine. Might of dragged a tiny bit here and there, but I enjoyed the ride. Watched on Prime in 4K which also included an Atmos track. Both were pretty good but you can still see where streaming has some limitations over a good 4k disc.

I love Bullet Train. I can't even tell you how many times I've watched it 

• Halal 1

The Creator 5/10-  Went expecting a chase where Washington protects a simulant kid and seeing some moral arguments about the good and bad of Ai… Instead its more about United States Imperialism and its complete intolerance and willingness to exterminate anything it deems an “other/not us”…. its fine but it means none of the Ai or simulants are really that, theyre more like stand ins for Iraqi or Vietnamese people..

That in itself is fine (star wars was built on that), its just that the main story introduces characters whose story appears to be more interesting than the main plot. Plus the world itself has sooo many questions left unanswered that by themselves defy logic.

It gets points for looking amazing though, the location shots are worth at least one viewing.