~Rate The Last Movie/TV Show You Watched Thread~

Tom Segura: Sledgehammer (stand up special on Netflix - his 5th now!)

This guy has a direct line to me laughing uncontrollably. I don't know if I have enjoyed a comic as much as him since George Carlin honestly, this guy just gets it! I was lucky enough to see him perform live last year as he was working on this set, and to see the culmination & how he worked his set from when I saw it live to what was recorded & uploaded, truly awesome to see. I'll share a couple "edited out of the special" jokes just to get a taste.

spacer.png

[dvd]

Full Metal Yakuza: 6/10

One of Takashi Miike's earlier films. It's kind of hard to get a handle on the movie because it's all  over the place tonally. it's kinda like Robocop but if Robocop was a Yakuza member. Basically newbie Yakuza member Hagane idolizes the Yakuza boss Tosa who goes to jail for seven years for killing some rival Yakuza in the streets. After seven years a hit is put on him and both Hagane and Tosa are killed. When Hagane wakes up he's a robot and has a big penis! :o Then a scientist has to explain that happened to him and train him, then Hagane is ready to go on a revenge mission. Then it seems like they kinda ran out of ideas for a half an hour and then it turns into a double revenge movie!

Like I said tonally it's all over the place it's kind of silly but gets kind of serious towards the end. The acting is fine. It's mostly a low budget affair, not that it's a major issue but the special effects are pretty weak. Overall it's a movie to catch if you want to see more of Takashi Miike's movies but if you're unfamiliar with his work you should probably start somewhere else.

• Thanks 1

I watched it too, and indeed sad to hear his voice again. The movie/special or whatever it is, was pretty cool. It said episode 1 of the season, but I don’t think this is a series. I’d like to see it as a small mini series but I was just happy to be in this superhero world once again.

Watched a bunch of random movies over the weekend while my wife was out.

I double featured The King of Comedy and Joker, a far from original pairing that again left me thinking more of the former and less of the latter.

After Oppenheimer I decided to revisit Dr. Strangelove, which remains an all time favorite that always manages to stay relevant.

Decided to check out Extraction 2, which does have some impressive John Wick style action and really lengthy continuous take camera work, but it still feels very disposable overall.

Also checked out They Cloned Tyrone, which is a lot of fun. Boyega and Foxx are both great in it. It reminded me a lot of Sorry to Bother you, but a bit more sane, probably to its detriment.

• Like 1

spacer.png

[blu-ray]

Bodacious Space Pirates: 8/10

File this one under don't judge a book by it's cover. I mean, honestly, is there anyone besides Bill & Ted who've used the word bodacious? In any case the show was a pleasant surprise in a lot of ways. The show follows a high school girl (yeah I know what anime doesn't?) Marika Kato, who's mother and father were legendary space pirates so she is destined to become a great captain herself. The show takes place in the future on a different colonized planet known as "The Sea of the Morningstar" which doesn't have quite the same ring to it as planet Earth but you'll get used to it. In any case Space Pirates helped in a colonization war so the Galactic Federation issues "Letters of Marque" to them, so they are kind of legal pirates. But they have to regularly keep up with piracy otherwise their letter of marque will be taken away. In any case all of this loops back to Marika since she has to accept being the captain to keep the letter of marque on the ship she would be captaining, and so she does accept and there are many space adventures to be had.

Now the biggest surprise for me is how hard sci-fi this is. It feels a lot like a Star Trek. There is a heavy emphasis on space exploration and mystery. Space warfare is done through hacking more than firepower which leads to another thing. The show is relatively non-violent. On top of that there is next to no fan service so the show feels like a very pure space sci-fi anime. The show was directed by Tatsuo Sato, who also directed Martian Successor Nadesico so it seems he has a knack for this kind of thing. In any case highly enjoyable, for me at least. It's a shame that very few anime get more than one season because I feel they only touched the tip of the iceberg with this show. One final side note, for all those DUB pervs out there (I did not listen to it) it is likely good since both Luci Christian and Brittney Karbowski on it.

• Shocked 1

spacer.png

[blu-ray]

Blue Is the Warmest Color: 7/10

A coming of age film that follows a girl, Adele, as she discovers her sexuality and all the ups and downs that come with it. Early on in the film she's not 100% sold on some guy but she sees a girl with blue hair and it awakens something inside of her. So she dumps the guy who looks like Ethan Hawke and goes after a girl named Emma and from there we get to explore the dichotomy between both of their worlds. Seeing how accepting Emma's parents are vs seeing how they have to keep it a secret from Adele's parents. In any case it's a very European film. One of those movies that doesn't feel scripted but instead watching life play out. To me this felt very standard having seen several movies before it that are similar. Clearly the sex scenes were here to get the butts in the seats but sitting through the rest of the three hour runtime, your mileage may vary.

• Thanks 1

Mulholland Dr. - I’ve previously mentioned my general distaste for movies that could be described as “dreamlike”, and I’ve bounced off other David Lynch projects in the past (I really want to like Twin Peaks, I just can’t), but I gave this one a shot anyway, and I’m mostly glad that I did. I can get really frustrated in stories like this. I don’t mind being confused and disoriented if I know that’s how I’m “supposed” to feel in that moment. I don’t need everything spelled out for me immediately. But when that confusion/disorientation is constant, and each new reveal compounds the confusion instead of alleviates it, I start to think that nothing means anything and I just lose interest. So I’m tempted to write this movie off as a nonsensical jumble, but there’s something there, even if I don’t understand it (or even have a firm grasp on what is supposed to be understandable). I want to watch it again at some point, maybe after reading up on it. 

• Halal 1

Finally got around to watching Marvel stuff I skipped on

Guardians 2..  9/10.. it was really enjoyable, almost on the level of the original

Shang Chi… 8/10 I really enjoyed the family dynamic of it all.. having gone in blind I did not expect the Dragonball Z-ness of it all.

above all things I really enjoyed both films cause they feel as if they exist outside of the larger Marvel cannon… theres links in there obviously, but the films are not dependent on it in the way the first 2 Holland Spiderman films were

• Thanks 1

On 7/4/2023 at 1:02 PM, thewhyteboar said:

June:

The Naked Spur 3.5/5 Another Mann/Stewart Western. 
On The Waterfront 5/5 hadn’t seen it since college. I know Brando gets all the ink but Malden is my favorite. His speech about Christ and Calvary is an all-timer. 
The French Connection 4/5 another rewatch. Love Hackman and Scheider

Alice Doesn’t Live Here Anymore 4/5 Love this, especially the relationship between Alice and her boy. 
The Banshees of Inisherin 4.5/5 I’d kill for the sweaters Colin Farrell wears. 
12 Angry Men 5/5 another rewatch. Still just as good. Trying to think of another movie that boasts so many good performances, and maybe the only one I can think of is Network?

JFK 4.5/5 Whew. Never seen a movie this long move so well. 

July 

Mikey and Nicky 4/5 Love Peter Falk. This gave me some real anxiety and feels to fit well with Banshees of Inisherin. When is a friendship just not worth it?

Who Framed Roger Rabbit 4/5 I hadn’t seen it since I was a kid. Perfect companion to Chinatown. Bob Hoskins is an all time great actor, one of the best to ever do it. 
The Killing 4/5 Hadn’t seen this since college. Elisha Cook is so good at being a loser. 
The King of Comedy 3.5/5 Not my favorite Scorsese, but I’m trying to see every one of his. 
8 1/2. 5/5 A lot of rewatches this month. 
Divorce Italian Style 3.5/5 Got a kick out of seeing how La Dolce Vita plays an important role in the plot. Man the makeup crew really had Marcello Mastroianni looking old as hell in 8 1/2 cause he looks quite young and handsome here, just 2 years prior. The bags under his eyes in 8 1/2 should have won makeup the Oscar. 

• Thanks 1

spacer.png

[blu-ray]

Outrage: 7/10

It feels like often you see yakuza glamorized in movies and other media. Outrage on the other hand feels like a very unfiltered view of the yakuza. Directed, written and even starring Takeshi Kitano, Outrage is a very realistic depiction of Mafia life. It's almost like a Japanese Godfather or Goodfellas. It begins with the yakuza leader being displeased that one of his gang bosses was getting friendly with a rival gang boss so the whole movie is kind of a setup to punish the rival gang. It begins by a dude getting ripped off in a night club, when the nightclub comes to collect they are surprised to learn the guy is part of the Otomo family, the night club of course belonging to the rival yakuza. So there is a back and forth dispute and then from there they attempt to drive him out and then the double crossing starts.

It's not a flashy movie at all. It feels very ordinary but the subject matter that is out of the ordinary makes it interesting. While the subject matter does seem somewhat mundane this film contains some of the most brutal violence you will see. If you are into gangster movies this is one to check out

• Thanks 1

VENOM: LET THERE BE CARNAGE (4K/Atmos) 2.5/5

There has to be an R-Rated cut of this movie somewhere. You can see where they wanted to live up to the name but lacked any real blood. Plus the whole thing is just one giant therapy session it seems but with maybe a little more violence. I liked the dynamics of the love story of the villains, but could have done less of the Venom and Eddie try at being serious but 3 stooges the same time. Liked the Spider-Man homages for the finale there and the mid credit scene. Serkis did an ok job directing but I don’t know if he or the FX team were responsible for the really tight fight scenes. Maybe they had something else planned/filmed but needed to hit that magic PG-13 rating for money. The disc is solid for picture and the sound with lots of overhead action with the Atmos sound. Again I wish I had a 3D copy to view but the 4K disc should have just been a rental. 

spacer.png

[blu-ray]

Beyond Outrage: 7/10

If you thought outrage could be contained in one movie you would be mistaken. Beyond Outrage takes place five years after the events of the first movie (spoilers). Kato, the guy who took over, has turned the Yakuza capitalist, not everyone is thrilled with it but they are making money. The detective from the first movie, Kataoka, plays a bigger role in this movie and is kind of pulling the strings behind the scenes. Meanwhile, Otomo rumored to be dead from the first movie, is alive and in prison. But the detective arranges for him to only serve half his sentence which sparks another gang war, but in this case mostly his old clan is worried about him so they're out to get him.

In comparison to the first movie it's less of a Yakuza simulator and more of a revenge style type movie. So while the first movie was a bit too stiff this one feels a little bit looser and enjoyable even if it maybe isn't as good as the first movie. If you saw the first one you're definitely going to want to conclude the Outrage saga by seeing this one.

• Thanks 1

spacer.png

[blu-ray]

And You Thought There Is Never a Girl Online?: 7/10

This is a lighthearted show split between real life and an online game ("net game"). Unlike "How Not To Summon a Demon Lord" which was a real life person sucked into the virtual world, this show is people who like to play online but also have to go to high school (I guess). The main idea is that these four people play in an online guild together and decide to meet IRL, then find out they all go to the same high school but also that three of them are GIRLS!?!? One of the girls he married int the game, Ako, can't seem to separate real life from the online game, so the show is sort of trying to get her to see the difference. It's basically some silly fun with some fan service thrown in. I enjoyed the characters but the online stuff wasn't entirely interesting to me (maybe if it was a sci-fi MMO instead then I could get down :p ) The art style is better than average I thought, it actually looks like the cover art which is nice. Anime girls with lips finally!

I thought they would make a bigger deal about meeting in person and finding out they were girls but it's all revealed in the first episode and wasn't really a big deal. Lastly it feels kind of inconclusive. They made a big deal about teaching Ako about real life but I feel like at the end they put more emphasis on the online stuff and then really no lessons were learned. Unlikely to happen at this point but if they were to continue the series I would be down to watch more.

• Thanks 1

I've been revisiting Fringe for the first time since the series finished and I'm enjoying it. Season 1 aired in 2009 and it feels like it's from a completely different era (though the multiverse thing feels very timely). Most of the phones are still just phones. The monster of the week format is increasingly anachronistic. Ford really pushing the Flex feels like a throwback to that short post recession period where it seemed like smaller vehicles might actually take off. The science is all nonsense of course, but what I think is more interesting is the myriad of futuristic technologies themselves often feel like different choices than would be made today.

The success of Star Trek New Worlds (at least creatively, no idea if it's doing numbers) makes me hopeful that we'll see something like this come back one day.

Also, RIP Lance Reddick.

spacer.png

[blu-ray]

Blade of the Immortal: 8/10

I had heard the name Blade of the Immortal growing up but I never quite looked into it. It just so happens that Takashi Miike (sensing a pattern?) directed a live action adaptation of the manga and it's actually very good. If you're unfamiliar the film follows a runaway samurai named Manji who's been "cursed" by an old lady that gave him bloodworms which keep him alive. Without having read the manga the movie feels like it captures the feel of the manga (or just a manga in general) very well. It's got tons of gore and dismemberment, a signature Miike style but while some of his movies go a bit too over the top, I think this one is just the right balance. It's well directed, acted, packed full of action scenes and the cinematography isn't half bad either. The runtime is a bit long (2 hours and 20 minutes) so you may get worn out during what seems like non stop hack and slash but overall it's worth a watch and maybe one of Miike's more accessible films.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

spacer.png

[blu-ray]

Blade of the Immortal: 8/10

I had heard the name Blade of the Immortal growing up but I never quite looked into it. It just so happens that Takashi Miike (sensing a pattern?) directed a live action adaptation of the manga and it's actually very good. If you're unfamiliar the film follows a runaway samurai named Manji who's been "cursed" by an old lady that gave him bloodworms which keep him alive. Without having read the manga the movie feels like it captures the feel of the manga (or just a manga in general) very well. It's got tons of gore and dismemberment, a signature Miike style but while some of his movies go a bit too over the top, I think this one is just the right balance. It's well directed, acted, packed full of action scenes and the cinematography isn't half bad either. The runtime is a bit long (2 hours and 20 minutes) so you may get worn out during what seems like non stop hack and slash but overall it's worth a watch and maybe one of Miike's more accessible films.

If you haven't already, I highly recommend watching 13 Assassins (came first) and Hara-Kiri: Death of a Samurai (came second), which are his other two unofficial films in his recent "samurai" trilogy (2010, 2011, and 2017 release years). There's nothing connecting them except thematically and Miike directing them, all three are great though Hara-Kiri is my personal favorite. Blade of the Immortal released last in 2017. 

• Thanks 1

GUARDIANS OF THE GALXY VOL. III (Japanese 3D Import) 3.75/5

God damn she’s an emotional one and made me sweet from my eyes a couple times. Got our first F-Bomb in a Marvel film and get ready for a personal flashback to a similar moment probably. It’s 2.5hrs but never seem to drag too much, some great music moments but miss the older tunes of Vol. I&II Some didn’t like the 2nd movie as well as the first, but I think gets better with more viewings. I’d say I enjoyed this better as a first watch over the 2nd movie, and glad to see the shifting aspect ratio return. Imported the movie from Japan for the 3D and it’s worth every penny as it looked amazing on my projector. Amazing depth or field, pop outs and a good push togo beyond the screen. Still wish Disney audio were better, like before the time of sound bars mixing for surround sound. If you can still view 3D on a screen at home, please do yourself a favour and import a copy.

How To Blow Up a Pipeline - I had wanted to see this earlier in the year when it was getting some buzz, but it barely played in any theaters near me. It popped up on Hulu a couple days ago, and I highly recommend it! Scrappy little thriller about people teaming up to… well, no spoilers. :p  Well paced, good performances, and a killer score.

• Halal 1

went and saw Retribution, Liam Neeson's latest, and while I had it figured out a third of the way and the bad guy is a complete moron for so so so many reasons and it plays out like so many of Liam's recent movies, more or less totally mindless, I still enjoyed it...if for no other reason that the theater was cool and it got me out of the 103 degree weather :lol:

I’m getting near the end of Detroiters and I absolutely love it and wish it went on for more seasons. I prefer Tim Robinson in this than the sketch show he has now, though that show makes me laugh too. But he plays a bit more of a real person here yet with a lot of the same awkwardness . Sam Richardson is great in everything I’ve ever seen him in and idk what’s taking so long for him to blow up bigger. Afterparty is great though too. Amber Ruffin is also in Detroiters (and writes three episodes), love her. 

Oh, and I wish Mort Crim with his chump of the week was a real show I could watch nightly. 

did a Robocop run...watched the reboot first, then the original (still holds up fairly well except the stop motion ED 209's) and then Robocop 2. Forgot how freaking horrible that one was...and after finishing it I just didn't have it in me to do watch the 3. I remember that one being the worse of all of them, something about ninjas.

spacer.png

[blu-ray]

Blind Swordsman: Zatoichi / Zatoichi: 7/10

This is another Takeshi Kitano joint. Starring, written, directed and even EDITED by Takeshi Kitano (don't they have anyone else to do these things?) it follows Zatoichi a blind swordsman but stays low key as a blind masseur. There are some bad guys running town (what else is new?) and long story short he kicks their ass. There are other layers to this story though. Zatoichi is staying at a lady's house who's nephew is always out gambling, he just happens to go gambling and befriends the nephew. There are some geishas involved that had a past with the gang leader. A ronin with a dying wife. As far as Kitano movies go this isn't as dry as Outrage, there is a bit of silliness to the movie, even to the point of having a Breakin' 2 Electric Boogaloo ending (minus the lady with the hairy armpits).

The film feels kind of bloated in a way or disjointed. We are nearly halfway through the movie and then it decides to tell the backstory of the geisha characters, it felt like something they probably should have done sooner as it kind of killed the momentum of the movie. Then towards the end there are a bunch of reveals that didn't quite connect because they never laid a trail for them, it just felt kind of random. Also, the blood and gore is CG and looks very fake. Despite these flaws I was still entertained, it just felt a little bit off to me.

• Thanks 1

On 8/2/2023 at 12:26 PM, thewhyteboar said:

July 

Mikey and Nicky 4/5 Love Peter Falk. This gave me some real anxiety and feels to fit well with Banshees of Inisherin. When is a friendship just not worth it?

Who Framed Roger Rabbit 4/5 I hadn’t seen it since I was a kid. Perfect companion to Chinatown. Bob Hoskins is an all time great actor, one of the best to ever do it. 
The Killing 4/5 Hadn’t seen this since college. Elisha Cook is so good at being a loser. 
The King of Comedy 3.5/5 Not my favorite Scorsese, but I’m trying to see every one of his. 
8 1/2. 5/5 A lot of rewatches this month. 
Divorce Italian Style 3.5/5 Got a kick out of seeing how La Dolce Vita plays an important role in the plot. Man the makeup crew really had Marcello Mastroianni looking old as hell in 8 1/2 cause he looks quite young and handsome here, just 2 years prior. The bags under his eyes in 8 1/2 should have won makeup the Oscar. 

August (this was a fun month for me! A lot of really good ones)

A Place in the Sun 4/5 I'm a big Montgomery Cliff fan, and he's great in this. This might be the first Elizabeth Taylor movie that I've seen. Absolutely stunning. I love the ending.

The Conformist 4.5/5 I read the book previously, so it was fun to see the differences. The cinematography is gorgeous, especially the way buildings and interiors are shot. The contrast between the hollow, spacious, and cold fascist Italian buildings and the warm, crowded, gregarious French buildings really stands out. 

Dog Day Afternoon 4/5 Al Pacino's best role? Think so.

The Last Waltz 5/5 Watched this due to current events. Robbie Robertson's charisma just pops out of the screen.

The Misfits 3.5/5 This was fine. Maybe a bit disappointing because of the talent involved (Marilyn Monroe, Clark Gable, Eli Wallach, and John Huston). But a nice rumination on the ending of a certain kind of live.

Sorcerer 4/5 Also watched this due to current events (too many deaths recently!). It's better than Wages of Fear, but I do think Wages of Fear does a few things better (mainly creating a friendship between the main pair). But this one has some of the tautest and most intense scenes. Great soundtrack too.

Harlan County USA 4.5/5 A documentary! Kind of rare for me, I don't watch them a ton. Watching this should make you furious; companies are doing the same bullshit now that they are doing then, just unions are now a whole lot weaker. Love the use of music, some incredible folk and protest songs throughout. 

The Red Shoes 5/5 Wow. I might have a new favorite movie. The Archers are geniuses and I will be watching every single thing that they've made (I've already seen Black Narcissus and I'm currently watching Colonel Blimp now!). It is gorgeous, it is dramatic, it is funny, the colors and soundtrack are great, and it has a 15 minute ballet scene in the middle of the film that is as compelling as any scene of any movie. 5 stars, 10 out of 10. Highly recommend, will watch again.

• Hype 1

I've watched quite a few lately. Some quick thoughts:

"Happiness for Beginners" (Netflix) | 5.5/10 |  I really like Ellie Kemper <3 , and everyone in this acted competently, but I think the script was just kinda "meh". It held my interest, but it didn't really have anything too unique or all that interesting to say and the journey itself also wasn't particularly compelling. Still, the time did go by pretty quickly.

"American Graffiti" (Netflix) | 4.0/10 | I know this one is supposed to be classic but for the most part I was just bored. I might have enjoyed it more if I was alive in the 50s, but a 70s movie meant to romanticize the 50s didn't really do it for me. I will say though that it was fun to see some stars when they were younger (e.g. Ron Howard, Harrison Ford). 

"Stand By Me" (Netflix) | 8.0/10 | Another one that's a classic and one which actually holds up well IMO. A classic coming of age tale with insightful dialog (though unrealistic, for 12-year-olds :p ) told in a fun way, also featuring some well-known actors in their youth (e.g. Wil Wheaton, River Phoenix, Kiefer Sutherland, etc.). 

ANT-MAN AND THE WASP: QUANTUMANIA(Japan 3D Import) 3/5

For a lot of the shit I heard about the movie I ended up semi enjoying it. It drags a bit but I did like the overall darker tone. Last outing felt too ad-lib and disjointed in tone. Sure we get some laughs here but never felt forced for the sake of trying to get a laugh. Too bad the bad guy is a dick in real life, because he sets the tone right for being that BIG BADDIE we gotta fear going forward. The sound needed to be jacked up like usual for a Disney release but good separation for surrounds. The 3D is good but barely noticed any pop outs and was more about that depth of field. Little bit of an 3D letdown after the amazing GOTG3 3D presentation I just watched.