~Rate The Last Movie/TV Show You Watched Thread~

16 hours ago, stepee said:

There is an episode where Snoopy wrote an article about how Charlie Brown was two minutes late feeding him. And it’s just so good.

sorry to hear you come down with Covid :( Snoopy is pretty great and feels like classic Peanuts specials of years past (mom loves it too) I think I have a week left of my AppleTV+ before it’s trial ends from my iPad purchase. I might be getting a new phone and so that might give me a few more months soon. So I’m gonna suggest you also check out the reboot/remake of Fraggle Rock. It’s pretty darn close to the classic show, but reboots it to them not seeing Sprocket/“Outer Space” of our world

spacer.png

[Netflix (until Nov 30)]

Fences: 8/10

Around some ways into this movie I thought to myself, "this feels a lot like a play," and lo and behold when the credits roll it says it was based on a play. So in that regard I think it is successful. The movie is basically about Denzel Washington as Troy Maxson set in 1950s Pittsburgh. He's kind of a jaded old man through trials and tribulations of his life and for better or worse spreads his jadedness to those around him. It's an interesting cast of characters, mostly related to Troy in some way. Most of the movie is just Denzel shooting the breeze about the good times and bad times and never taking shit from anyone. Personally I've been around conversations like these and I find them fascinating so I could listen to Denzel go on and on about telling the devil to F off or walking 200 miles to Alabama. Not much to say other than that really. It's based on a play, it's like a play, really all you have to do is sit there and appreciate the performances, which are quite good.

As a side head scratcher why was Viola Davis considered a supporting actress in this? She had as big of a role as Denzel. She won an Oscar because of it but just a strange designation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

As a side head scratcher why was Viola Davis considered a supporting actress in this? She had as big of a role as Denzel. She won an Oscar because of it but just a strange designation.

That’s why. :p It’s a classic example of category fraud. Actors can choose which category to campaign in, and sometimes they’ll really stretch into a category where they’ll have a better shot at winning. 

I'm glad Denzel is producing more movies based on August Wilson plays. I liked the two they’ve made so far (this and Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom) so I went to a local production of another play in his “Pittsburgh Cycle” and the whole time I was thinking “I would like this way more as a movie”. It’s called Seven Guitars, and it’s three hours of people talking in a backyard. Not really my speed in a theater setting, and I felt bad because I was one of the only white dudes in the theater and I was struggling to stay awake. :lol:

• True 1

2 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

spacer.png

[Netflix (until Nov 30)]

Around some ways into this movie I thought to myself, "this feels a lot like a play," and lo and behold when the credits roll it says it was based on a play. So in that regard I think it is successful. The movie is basically about Denzel Washington as Troy Maxson set in 1950s Pittsburgh. He's kind of a jaded old man through trials and tribulations of his life and for better or worse spreads his jadedness to those around him. It's an interesting cast of characters, mostly related to Troy in some way. Most of the movie is just Denzel shooting the breeze about the good times and bad times and never taking shit from anyone. Personally I've been around conversations like these and I find them fascinating so I could listen to Denzel go on and on about telling the devil to F off or walking 200 miles to Alabama. Not much to say other than that really. It's based on a play, it's like a play, really all you have to do is sit there and appreciate the performances, which are quite good.

I'm pretty sure I saw a production of that in college. 

• Hype 1

1 hour ago, TheLeon said:

That’s why. :p It’s a classic example of category fraud. Actors can choose which category to campaign in, and sometimes they’ll really stretch into a category where they’ll have a better shot at winning. 

I'm glad Denzel is producing more movies based on August Wilson plays. I liked the two they’ve made so far (this and Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom) so I went to a local production of another play in his “Pittsburgh Cycle” and the whole time I was thinking “I would like this way more as a movie”. It’s called Seven Guitars, and it’s three hours of people talking in a backyard. Not really my speed in a theater setting, and I felt bad because I was one of the only white dudes in the theater and I was struggling to stay awake. :lol:

Macbeth was so damn good that I want more Denzel in any movie version of a play. Denzel as John Proctor?? Someone make that.

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Missed opportunity to say, "Better Watch Out. If you have Peacock you better watch Better Watch Out" :talkhand:

oh no...it'll forever weigh on my soul that I missed out on that

Anna and the Apocalypse ...so crazy. Christmas + Shaun of the Dead + Glee (assuming this as I've actually never seen the show) 

spacer.png

[Netflix]

Scott Pilgrim Takes Off: 9/10

It has been over 13 years since the world got a taste of Scott Pilgrim Vs the World (the movie anyway) and I think at the time it was a well received quirky action comedy kind of thing. At the time the cast was a bunch of up and comers. Chris Evans wasn't Captain America yet, Brie Larson was 3 years away from winning an Oscar, and the rest well I guess haven't done anything as remarkable but still have carved out a name for themselves. Which makes their appearance on this show that much more of a miracle. They're back and quite good actually.

If you're familiar with the movie Scott Pilgrim takes on 7 evil exes so he can date Ramona Flowers. However, this show is not a retelling of that movie and in fact I believe it was written to be it's own thing. The first episode might seem familiar but there is a twist and soon the show takes on a life of it's own. The show actually focuses on Ramona a lot more and uncovers a lot of the background of the 7 exes. It's compelling, has some good laughs, and will keep you guessing till the end.

I mentioned this in the thread for the show but it is animated by a Japanese studio, Science Saru, and has a really good look to it. Colors are vibrant, animation is smooth, even has some nice looking pixel art to it. Overall it seems like the series creators gave this show everything they had and it shows. A real surprise and better than anyone could ever expect.

• Thanks 1

spacer.png

[Netflix]

Ava: 6/10

They made a Nikita movie starring Jessica Chastain but what if half of the movie was family drama? Well if that sounds cool then Ava is the movie for you. The film starts by showing you all the most interesting stuff in a montage during the opening credits. Ava was messed up teen alcoholic who got in a car accident, joined the army, then was discharged and made to be a super secret assassin. But now she's presumably towards the end of her career and asking the targets questions and so whatever agency she's with doesn't like that and tries to kill her off. Meanwhile, she's living in Boston trying to tie up loose ends with her family since she left so abruptly, lots of heartfelt conversations and all that. But the problem is that by doing this half and half stuff neither half is satisfying. The majority of the spy stuff is actually more like over the top John Wick action, somehow Ava can take down a fully armored German army while wearing nothing but a skimpy cocktail dress. Then the family stuff is awkward because you're just kind of dumped in the middle of it. This could have been a much better movie had they just turned the intro montage into a movie.

• Thanks 1

Had a classic double feature last night:

May December (Netflix) - a character study (literally) starring Natalie Portman and Julianne Moore that may remind you of a certain tabloid scandal from the 90’s. I liked it, and it’s a reminder that I need to see more Todd Haynes movies. 

Godzilla Minus One (Theater) - absolute banger. It made me realize the key to the movie like this: if the titular monster isn’t going to have a lot of screen time and most of the movie is following human characters, those characters have to be interesting beyond their relationship to Godzilla. There’s a pretty compelling story at the heart of this movie long before the ‘Zilla decides to stomp Tokyo. 

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, TheLeon said:

Had a classic double feature last night:

May December (Netflix) - a character study (literally) starring Natalie Portman and Julianne Moore that may remind you of a certain tabloid scandal from the 90’s. I liked it, and it’s a reminder that I need to see more Todd Haynes movies. 

Godzilla Minus One (Theater) - absolute banger. It made me realize the key to the movie like this: if the titular monster isn’t going to have a lot of screen time and most of the movie is following human characters, those characters have to be interesting beyond their relationship to Godzilla. There’s a pretty compelling story at the heart of this movie long before the ‘Zilla decides to stomp Tokyo. 

Are the effects good?

BLUE EYE SAMURAI 8.5/10

Loved the animation and the voice casting was great. The ending I had an issue with for our princess, but overall enjoyed the journey. I do hope we get a 2nd season because we are wide open for that. So it was nice well it lasted . . . .thanks Netflix. Again our Samurai reminded me of a Canadian show that also lasted only a year. It’s sort or weird but worth checking out Cyber6/CyberSix 

On 11/25/2023 at 5:09 AM, Keyser_Soze said:

spacer.png

[Netflix (until Nov 30)]

Whats crazy is seeing James Earl Jones playing the same character as Denzel in the theater production..

watching clips of this film people always pass off the “why dont you like me scene” as being about a father giving his son a dose of reality completely ignoring the context of the overall story

• Hype 1

Godzilla Minus One.. 9/10

Was afraid all the hype was building me up for a letdown.. definitely wasnt the case. Maybe its my own PTSD and/or survivors guilt but everything in this movie felt more affecting in ways I hadnt experienced before. There was an unrelenting intensity to everything that was happening. As a fan I of course enjoyed it but it was quite affecting to my wife as well as she teared up a couple of times.

I watched this in an empty theater (5 other people), a damn shame since Im now curious to see if I could have felt the same tension from other movie goers.

I watched this on a more modest movie theater screen and it was intense.. Im officially jealous of those who saw it on IMAX and those who got the 4DX experience since its apparently one of the more solid applications of the format

Its not flawless (some effects shots are off and it does include a common movie trope), but its a great movie even beyond its own genre

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

spacer.png

[Kanopy]

Moebius: 6/10

A difficult movie to describe and maybe even watch at times. Moebius is very close to a silent movie. It tells the tale of an upset mother/wife fed up with her adulterous husband. She attempts to cut off his penis but her attempt is thwarted so she instead cuts of her son's penis. She runs away and the son is left to deal with the shame and anguish of having no penis. The father tries to make up for it by undergoing a penis transplant. In the meantime some other hard to watch things in between. Something about rubbing rocks on your foot in order to get off is hard to look at.

Some things speak for themselves making the choice to be a silent movie makes sense. But things do get confusing as things go on. I think the biggest point of confusion, and I guess this is intentional, is that the mother and the father's mistress that the son ends up seeing are played by the same actress (Lee Na-ra) so it leads to this whole incest angle, which like I said is intentional, but still confusing. Perhaps I'm in over my depth on this one but there were a lot of aspects of the movie that made it hard to digest, not the easiest movie to watch, but I don't regret seeing it.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, best3444 said:

What in God's name are you watching, son?

6 hours ago, EternallDarkness said:

I find it better not to ask him that :p 

He's reviewing a South Korean film written and directed by maestro Ki-duk Kim. He's made some incredible movies, and he predates the "big three" South Korean filmmakers who started blowing the door open internationally on great South Korean movies (Chan-wook Park, Jee-woon Kim and Joon-ho Bong), so he's really #1 ahead of those three in some ways. Films like Birdcage Inn, The Isle, Address Unknown, Samaritan Girl, 3-Iron, The Bow, Arirang, The Net and especially Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring are all absolute bangers everyone should watch. He makes slice of life intense drama films typically. The premises of each of his films can vary wildly but he always takes a very intimate, in-depth look at the characters and has a very humanistic take on the material. I've only heard solid, not great, things about Moebius specifically but Ki-duk Kim doesn't hit it out of the park every time (just usually). Still a great director worth following and keeping up with their filmography. He unfortunately passed away at the age of 59 in 2020 due to Covid (fucking sucks, could have made many more movies) but most of his films are really good. 

• True 1

Obliterated (Netflix) - An elite special forces team has 8 hours to find and neutralize a nuke in Las Vegas. The problem? They thought they finished the mission already, so they’re busy getting completely wasted at an over the top party they threw for themselves. Hijinks ensue. It’s a pure junk food series that I definitely enjoyed, but I don’t know if I can call it “good”. 

No Hard Feelings - 8/10

I dunno maybe I was just in the mood for one of these. I feel like it’s been a long time since I’ve seen one. It certainly doesn’t reinvent the wheel but it’s more sincere than I was expecting. It was nice that Jennifer Lawrence’s character wasn’t over the top a train wreck. And the same for the kid. Probably doesn’t hurt that you have someone like Jennifer Lawrence who’s able to give it a lot more nuance than an Amy Schumer or Cameron Diaz. I dunno, if you’re looking for a nice rom com this one felt better than most. 

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, Mercury33 said:

No Hard Feelings - 8/10

I dunno maybe I was just in the mood for one of these. I feel like it’s been a long time since I’ve seen one. It certainly doesn’t reinvent the wheel but it’s more sincere than I was expecting. It was nice that Jennifer Lawrence’s character wasn’t over the top a train wreck. And the same for the kid. Probably doesn’t hurt that you have someone like Jennifer Lawrence who’s able to give it a lot more nuance than an Amy Schumer or Cameron Diaz. I dunno, if you’re looking for a nice rom com this one felt better than most. 

It was more of a 7/10 for me but definitely solid and better than I expected it to be.