-Wanderlust (2012; dir. David Wain): 7/10

-Payback: Director's Cut (1999; dir. Brian Helgeland): 6/10

-A Hidden Life (2019; dir. Terrence Malick): 10/10

-Saltburn (2023; dir. Emerald Fennell): 7/10

• Hype 1

spacer.png

[Plex]

The Informers: 5/10

The Informers is a film based on a book by Bret Easton Ellis of the same name. If you're unfamiliar he is the guy who wrote American Psycho but on the other hand wrote The Canyons, so maybe his batting average isn't so good. This one falls in the not so good category and unlike American Psycho there is no '80s nostalgia or total absurdness to fall back on for laughs. The movie is a series of short stories about a handful of people that takes place in 1983. These people are miserable, do bad things and don't give a fuck, which really makes it hard to connect with anything going on. There's a group of friends that regularly do drugs and have threesomes together. One of the guy's fathers is a movie producer (Billy Bob Thornton) who wants to get back with his wife but also wants to keep having an affair with the person he left his wife for. There's like a pedo rock star. Mickey Rourke plays an Uncle of another guy (Brad Renfro) who's into criminal Barstow activities, like kidnapping children for money. The list goes on and on and there's no redemption for any of them. They are just terrible and that's about it. While it was set in the '80s there's nothing really '80s feeling about it. Yeah people do drugs but the vibes feel too modern. This was Brad Renfro's final movie so if you're interested to see him I suppose you could do that. If you're into seeing Amber Heard being naked this is a good movie for that too but other than that there aren't a lot of reason to see this.

• Thanks 1

The Boys 1-3

8/10 programme

4/10 personal enjoyment

I spoke about it in the season 3 thread

Dredd (2012)

6/10

Pretty average dystopian sci-fi action flick. I know the drug is called Slo-mo but the slo-mo shit drags. Entire movie is made up of tropes and cliches. I feel like there was not one line of dialogue I hadn't heard elsewhere. I expected the character Judge Dredd to be cooler. The movie is "Not bad". 

spacer.png

[Viki]

Tell Me What You Saw (본 대로 말하라): 6/10

Tell Me What You Saw is a police drama that starts out good and then unfortunately drops off a cliff. I've stated in the past that I'm getting tired of these these crossover motifs across all these dramas and this one somehow manages to pull in another one from the previous show. The show has three central characters. Cha Soo-young witnessed her mother get hit by a hit and run driver when she was young. Her mother died and she made it her goal to become a police officer and find the driver. She also happens to have hypermnesia, like a photographic memory, which comes into play at various points in the show.

On the other side is Oh Hyun-jae (played by Jang Hyuk) a criminal profiler that went into hiding after a murderer he was after disappeared and the woman he love perished in a car explosion. Hwang Ha-young is the team leader of a police unit, was friends with Hyun Jae and is also after the same killer but for other reasons. Now the killer, known as "that bastard", was presumed dead but it was a cover up by the police so they could save face. But when That Bastard starts killing again things get shaken up and the police superintendent wants to catch him first so they can keep the cover up going.

The show starts out fine, unraveling a long network of killers that could lead them to That Bastard. However, things start falling apart when everyone knows who That Bastard is. Everyone has their own separate reason for capturing him themselves which leads to a series of what I would say are unnecessary blunders. Soo-young doesn't seem particularly smart apart from her photographic memory and she seems to fail to put 2 and 2 together numerous times. The show is just kind of feels frustrating and drawn out. The twists don't seem to land either. It's just a shame they had something good going but the bad ends up outweighing the good in the end. I do like me some Jang Hyuk though and he turns in a pretty good performance.

• Thanks 1

The weekend recap: 

-Sherlock Holmes (2009; dir. Guy Ritchie): 8/10

-Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows (2011; dir. Guy Ritchie): 6.5/10

-Valhalla Rising (2009; dir. Nicolas Winding Refn): 8/10

-The Platform (2019; dir. Galder Gaztelu-Urrutia): 7/10

-Afire (2023; dir. Christian Petzold): 6.5/10

-Blue Beetle (2023; dir. Angel Manuel Soto): 6/10

-Legend (2015; dir. Brian Helgeland): 6.5/10

I watched too many things since my update so I’ll just post a few. 

I finally watched Infernal Affairs and it rips. I’m not sure if I like it more than The Departed, but I definitely prefer the ending to the original. I’ll be watching the rest of the trilogy, though I heard they aren’t as good as the first. 

I also watched Peeping Tom, a great thriller from the early 60s. If you want something that breeds the creepy voyeurism of Rear Window and the psychosexual vibes of Psycho, Peeping Tom is your movie. 

• Halal 1

2 hours ago, thewhyteboar said:

I finally watched Infernal Affairs and it rips. I’m not sure if I like it more than The Departed, but I definitely prefer the ending to the original. I’ll be watching the rest of the trilogy, though I heard they aren’t as good as the first. 

The entire trilogy is excellent. The other two aren't as good but they are good. The Departed takes stuff from all three movies, not just the first one. I also prefer Infernal Affairs over The Departed, even though I think The Departed is great.

How to Have Sex 4/5 

Eileen 3/5 

Society of the Snow 3.5/5

Foe 2/5 

Showing Up 2/5 

MI: Dead Reckoning 4/5 

Wonka 3.5/5

American Fiction 4/5 

The Marvels 2.5/5

Rustin 3/5

Four Daughters 4/5 

The Color Purple (2023) 3.5/5

Miller’s Girl 1.5/5

Next Goal Wins 3/5 

Bobi Wine. interesting info but paint by the numbers doc i would feel bad giving it a low score

The Iron Claw 4.5/5 

• Halal 1
  • Hype 1

The weekend recap:

-Babylon (2022; dir. Damien Chazelle): 8.5/10

-The Matrix Resurrections (2021; dir. Lana Wachowski): 7/10

-Mayhem! (aka Farang; 2023; dir. Xavier Gens): 6/10

-The Gentlemen (2019; dir. Guy Ritchie): 7.5/10

-The Wandering Earth (2019; dir. Frant Gwo): 6.5/10

• Halal 1
  • Hugs 1

spacer.png

[Netflix]

Stand By Me: 8/10

I think a lot of people associate Rob Reiner with funny movies like This is Spinal Tap or The Princess Bride but it seems his bread and butter are serious movies like this one. Interestingly enough this one is also an adaptation of a Stephen King movie (Reiner would later go on to direct Misery). This one is a coming of age movie about youths with some sort of trauma. Gordie dealing with the passing of his brother, the only one in his family that seemingly loved him. Teddy abused by his father and has some issues of his own. Chris, basically the black sheep who's been pegged as a bad guy because he stole some milk money. Then there's Vern who's just a dumb fat kid. I'm sure you've heard the meme, "wanna see a dead body?" which originates from this movie. So it's an adventure sort of about these four kid setting out in Portland to walk to where they overheard the body of some missing kid was found, just not by the police yet, and the dream is to be the ones who discover the body and get famous for doing so. Along the way they have a lot of time for self reflection and discovery. That's basically it. Some of the language is a bit rough these days but overall a pretty solid movie. This is the type of movie a lot of people can relate to, at least maybe I can, we've all had some friends like these and maybe we had some good times together despite being little shithead kids. Then those times come to an end.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I think a lot of people associate Rob Reiner with funny movies like This is Spinal Tap or The Princess Bride 

these days I associate him as someone suffering from a severe case of TDS :p 

As for Stand By Me, this is one of those rare cases where the movie adaptation is freaking perfect if not better than the source material 

VIOLENT NIGHT 2.75/5 (4k/Atmos)

There’s a great fun movie in here, but felt a little bogged down. It’s pretty much Die Hard (2) and Home Alone kind of combined into one. David Harbour as always is great eating up whatever role he’s in (even Hellboy) When the movie fires on the right cylinders, it’s a fucking blast. The 4K disc looks overall good, but suffers a bit with interior scenes being a bit saturated looking. Atmos track was serviceable but lacked any real height to the soundtrack/action. We are getting a sequel with Harbour returning, but I hope they keep up with more of the Home Alone/Die Hard action craziness. These movies don’t need a huge plot and more action is always better for these weird plots of a movie. Give it a stream and who knows, maybe I’ll like it even more with another viewing. 

I wanted to watch the previous Dune movie, but because it was leaving Netflix before I could get to it, I downloaded it to my tablet and then turned off wifi. Turns out, Netflix has wised up to this strategy and it still wouldn't let me play it. :cry: 

• Sad 1

I watched Heaven's Gate, Michael Cimino's epic fiasco/disaster/failure/secret masterpiece. It was the 3 hour and 37 minute restored Criterion version.

I loved it. It is not perfect. It has a lot of issues--the pacing is off, some scenes tend to linger uncomfortably long. Poor John Hurt's character seems to just wander in and out of the movie for no real reason. But it is gorgeous. Just obscenely beautiful. Those scenes that tend to drift? They will end with a shot of snow-capped mountains that will just take your breath away. The soundtrack is also perfect. The roller-skating scene--7 or 8 minutes of the characters roller skating around a rink while a band plays--has such good music that I actually rewound it and watched it again as soon as it ended. 

Like I said, not all of it works. But it is really worth watching. I would love if someday Cimino's 5 hour version ever resurfaced. 

• Hype 1

The weekend recap:

Aftersun (2022; dir. Charlotte Wells): 7.5/10

Anyone But You (2023; dir. Will Gluck): 6/10

Cold Mountain (2003; dir. Anthony Minghella): 8/10

Glass (2019; dir. M. Night Shyamalan): 6.5/10

Horrible Bosses - Extended Cut (2011; dir. Seth Gordon): 7/10

Blue Beetle 7/10….

The main actor carried the film pretty well. I got the Latino based references and easter eggs, they pretty much hit all bases from humor to background music.  The spectacle towards the end was enjoyable mostly because I wasnt expecting the depth of the involvement from the family.

The main armored villains backstory was the thing that git me the most… His background that tied in to the School of the Americas and all the killing in 80s Central America was odd to see mostly because it touches base with my own childhood and things I experienced…  To see that mostly forgotten death and cruelty played out in “popular” entertainment felt odd.. not wrong, not right, just odd..

A mostly enjoyable film but certainly not in the upper tiers of hero films

spacer.png

[Plex]

Battle Beyond the Stars: 6/10

This is a Star Wars influenced sci-fi film that takes some light elements from Seven Samurai. Some dude named Sador (John Saxon) in a huge space ship decides he wants to take over a planet. He finds a planet called Akir with very little defenses and declares that he will take over the planet. But instead of immediately conquering the planet he gives them seven risings. The people of Akir are pacifists, sort of, so they send out some guy named Shad to go hire some mercenaries aboard a space ship with a smart ass computer named Nell. So the first half of the movie is Shad visiting various people and they offer to join him for one reason or another and the second half of the movie is the battle. The supposed peaceful people of Akir have no problem taking up arms to protect their planet (take life to save a life). In any case you can probably figure out what happens at the end.

This movie is very B-movie. Production values are pretty low, the sets look not great in particular. However, the space ships do look convincing and well designed. The writing isn't particularly great but not horrible either. It's just weird that the Shad will show up and everyone just agrees to go with the flow. Also weird that this guy wants to conquer a planet but his world only seemingly exists inside the ship. It's better if you leave the thinking at the door and just enjoy the ride.

• Thanks 1

spacer.png

[Netflix]

Dragon's Dogma: 7/10

In my attempt to keep the Dragon's Dogma hype rolling I decided to try out the anime. I heard mostly non-positive things so I was wary of watching it but after seeing it I don't really see where the negativity is coming from. The show isn't a retelling of the game but it's own story based on Dragon's Dogma lore which if you've played the game kind of fits. It follows a guy named Ethan who's town is wiped out. His friends and pregnant wife killed and a dragon steals his heart and he's off to get it back. There are only 7 episodes and each are themed around a different sin. Ethan gets a pawn and they set out on the road and you definitely see familiar monsters with the backdrop of people being shitty themselves. You won't see any Chimeras it appears. It also seems like no harpies but they've subbed them out for succubi so I won't complain :fap:

While not adhering to the story of the game I do feel it hits the important moments making it fairly faithful to what Dragon's Dogma is.

The show is animated by Sublimation, the same people who did Onimusha. The show mostly looks good. The characters look the best. some monsters look alright and the dragon doesn't look very good. Onimusha, while not having an dragons, does seem like a step up. While they didn't animate the intro to the show it is pretty damn cool looking. In any case I enjoyed the show. I do think that it satisfies in terms of Dragon's Dogma and if you didn't enjoy what the show is laying down then maybe you just don't like the game.

• Thanks 1

JACKASS 4EVER 3.5/5

First off, get yourself high before you consume a movie full of dicks. I mean it, the movie is dick focused for the guys. I like the montage of early stunt attempts to doing them now being older. Fuck does that bull make Johnny fucking fly and the slow-mob impact is painful (especially from a wrist guy myself perspective) It’s also a little uneven in pacing as all the real great stuff and the small gags. Their opening “Silence of the Lambs” gag is fucking historical and probably gave a few newbies PTSD. They have a lot of newbies and they almost seemed to be handing the torch for them as well, cause they take a good brunt of the punishment. How most of these guys are still alive or at least walking, is sometimes beyond me. Still it’s a fun watch with like minded friends and I wouldn’t be surprised if a fifth doesn’t happen either in 5-7 years it seems. 

spacer.png\

[Xbox]

The Mist: 7/10

On occasion I look into the filmography of directors that I've enjoyed previously. Frank Darabont directed The Shawshank Redemption, one of my favorite films, so I wanted to see what else he had done. The last movie he directed was was The Mist so the several months I had been looking for ways to watch it. It was on Amazon for around $3 or something during the holidays but I passed for one reason or another. This month fortunately and randomly The Mist appeared as a free game pass perk. So by being interested and missing out I somehow ended up with what I wanted at no extra cost. :o

As for the movie it is alright. The Mist is based on a Stephen King novel. Darabont is another director that has double (triple) dipped into the Stephen King sauce. It follows David Drayton (Thomas Jane) a movie poster artist in Maine. He is inconvenienced by a huge storm that knocks a tree through his front window and let's not forget his neighbor Mr. Norton's tree that destroys his boathouse. So David takes his son Billy and his neighbor to the grocery stores to get supplies until a large mist rolls in behind a frightened bloody dude who claims his friends disappeared in it. So the film becomes one of those "people are trapped inside" type of movies along with factions being formed between sane people and religious fanatics. I think it's enjoyable if not a bit uneven. It starts off a bit shaky but once the tension ramps up things get a bit interesting. The characterization of some people don't seem too far fetched, especially now in 2024, it's more depressing how accurate it is. I also didn't quite enjoy the ending. Maybe I've seen too many twist endings but you just felt something like that was going to happen and at the same time it felt pretty needless. Surviving through everything just to throw your hands up in the air and say, "well this is it I guess." didn't seem right.

• Hype 1

4 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

spacer.png\

[Xbox]

The Mist: 7/10

On occasion I look into the filmography of directors that I've enjoyed previously. Frank Darabont directed The Shawshank Redemption, one of my favorite films, so I wanted to see what else he had done. The last movie he directed was was The Mist so the several months I had been looking for ways to watch it. It was on Amazon for around $3 or something during the holidays but I passed for one reason or another. This month fortunately and randomly The Mist appeared as a free game pass perk. So by being interested and missing out I somehow ended up with what I wanted at no extra cost. :o

As for the movie it is alright. The Mist is based on a Stephen King novel. Darabont is another director that has double (triple) dipped into the Stephen King sauce. It follows David Drayton (Thomas Jane) a movie poster artist in Maine. He is inconvenienced by a huge storm that knocks a tree through his front window and let's not forget his neighbor Mr. Norton's tree that destroys his boathouse. So David takes his son Billy and his neighbor to the grocery stores to get supplies until a large mist rolls in behind a frightened bloody dude who claims his friends disappeared in it. So the film becomes one of those "people are trapped inside" type of movies along with factions being formed between sane people and religious fanatics. I think it's enjoyable if not a bit uneven. It starts off a bit shaky but once the tension ramps up things get a bit interesting. The characterization of some people don't seem too far fetched, especially now in 2024, it's more depressing how accurate it is. I also didn't quite enjoy the ending. Maybe I've seen too many twist endings but you just felt something like that was going to happen and at the same time it felt pretty needless. Surviving through everything just to throw your hands up in the air and say, "well this is it I guess." didn't seem right.

I remember seeing the trailer for the film and so I bought/read the book. Probably should have done in reverse because it always seem hard to top the book for a movie adaptation. It’s not bad but I liked the tension building in the book better (more people and monsters being monsters) Plus I know everyone pretty much liked the new ending for the movie but I preferred the book ending. Even SK liked the movie ending more than his

Spoiler

The rift doesn’t get sealed and basically encompasses the globe from the sounds of it. Father and son now carefully drive around and shelter in abandoned hotels. Hoping that the world will be alright again, while monsters walk the forests and make noises at night while they try to sleep. Haven’t seen it in Black and White

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, silentbob said:

Even SK liked the movie ending more than his

Hide contents

The rift doesn’t get sealed and basically encompasses the globe from the sounds of it. Father and son now carefully drive around and shelter in abandoned hotels. Hoping that the world will be alright again, while monsters walk the forests and make noises at night while they try to sleep. Haven’t seen it in Black and White

Yeah that sounds better to me and more in line with what was happening in the end.

• Halal 1