~Rate The Last Movie/TV Show You Watched Thread~

Um, I watched Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and it wasn't even a movie. It litteraly had no script or story and was absolutely ridiculous.

I watched the entire thing because of how well it was shot and Leonardo Decaprio did a fantastic acting job. So did Brad Pitt but honestly this was extremely over hyped. I get it was a Quentin Tarantino film but still...it was completely pointless. 

1/5

• Wrong 1

13 hours ago, best3444 said:

Um, I watched Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and it wasn't even a movie. It litteraly had no script or story and was absolutely ridiculous.

I watched the entire thing because of how well it was shot and Leonardo Decaprio did a fantastic acting job. So did Brad Pitt but honestly this was extremely over hyped. I get it was a Quentin Tarantino film but still...it was completely pointless. 

1/5

It sounds like Tarantino's love letter to 1970's cinema went over your head. Additionally, it's a slice of life/day in the life kind of film, it's not meant to have some propulsive story, etc. But at least you gave it a shot.

11 hours ago, EternallDarkness said:

Finally watched the movie version of The Rainmaker. Not the best film translation of Grisham's work but still damn solid. 

A really solid late stage Francis Ford Coppola joint.

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

It sounds like Tarantino's love letter to 1970's cinema went over your head. Additionally, it's a slice of life/day in the life kind of film, it's not meant to have some propulsive story, etc. But at least you gave it a shot.

A really solid late stage Francis Ford Coppola joint.

Of COURSE it went over my head because I thought it was shit. I love how whenever I go against the grain on this forum my intelligence is ALWAY attacked. 

I completely understood it was litteraly just a few moments of Rick Dalton's acting career on display here. It was also the end of the Golden age of Hollywood including some section with Manson's cult included. 

It was a terrible film imo. There was absolutely no plot. You think you're smarter than you really are sometimes. You come off as a snob a lot of the times in your posts. Like you have all the answers. Give me a break. 

3 hours ago, best3444 said:

It was a terrible film imo. There was absolutely no plot. You think you're smarter than you really are sometimes. You come off as a snob a lot of the times in your posts. Like you have all the answers. Give me a break. 

A terrible film by which metric?

This one from IMDb? With a 7.6/10 after 840,000 votes (incredibly high)? https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7131622/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0_tt_8_nm_0_q_once%20upon%20a%20time%20in%20

This one from RottenTomatoes? With an 86% (both top critics and all critics) with a 7.9/10 after 540 reviews? It certainly can't be the high 70% all audience score with a 3.7/5 can it? There's nothing snobbish about saying a 1/5 is a ludicrous score for a film when you put forward no criticisms other than it had no script (it did, literally) and had no story (yet in your post you explain what the story was). You say it was "pointless" without explaining how or why. https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/once_upon_a_time_in_hollywood

So without further to go on it just seemed like you didn't get the movie, hence it going over your head. Something doesn't go over your head because "you thought it was shit", something goes over someone's head when they don't realize what's going on, or in this case, what the point of the movie was. If you thought it was shit, that's fine, but your reasoning is weak - I responded hoping to elicit more elaboration, which I didn't really get. 

Also your victim complex is a waste of time. Going against the grain doesn't mean anything - I go against it with film opinions with others on this board all the time (Snyder films, The Last Jedi, etc.). Your intelligence is frequently attacked because, simply put, you don't sound or come off as smart or intelligent. It's not surprising my posts would come off as snobbish rather than normal to you. Any time a person injects more complex thoughts or opinions online than "this is my opinion, that is your opinion, we're both right, let's move on" is considered "snobbish" or "pretentious" just makes the unintelligent person come off as insecure. 

I would argue that Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is primarily a character piece, rather than something pointless or without a plot, but I also think it's one of those films that is very much about the vibe. Tarrantino wants to revel in Hollywood 1969; he wants to show how the business, culture, and the very nature of fame and Hollywood were changing and highlight how different it was from what we have now. It's a bit of nostalgic escapism and a bit of wish fulfillment, and if nothing about that appeals to you, it's easy enough to see why you might bounce off it.

Personally, even as someone without Trantino's reverence for that moment in time, I found it a satisfying watch just by nature of how well each scene plays out. There isn't a driving force of plot to focus your attention, but watching Dalton's bewilderment at his young co-star or his self satisfaction at making her proud gives you so much insight into this man and the changing nature of his business. Booth's routine at home contrasting with Dalton's is such a wonderful bit of "show don't tell" character development while also planting seeds that will pay off later. The pressure cooker of Spahn Ranch is such a delightful slow build and a clever backdoor into the actual history the film plays with. The surprise callback of the flame-thrower is both comedic and the final relief in not seeing the terrible true history the film seemed to be building towards. It is a meandering movie that eases on by without a north star of necessity, but it's still a wonderfully constructed love letter by a man who desperately wants to celebrate movies and everything that goes into making them, and someone who knows how to make characters in film interesting and layered.

• Halal 1

2 hours ago, TwinIon said:

I would argue that Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is primarily a character piece, rather than something pointless or without a plot, but I also think it's one of those films that is very much about the vibe. Tarrantino wants to revel in Hollywood 1969; he wants to show how the business, culture, and the very nature of fame and Hollywood were changing and highlight how different it was from what we have now. It's a bit of nostalgic escapism and a bit of wish fulfillment, and if nothing about that appeals to you, it's easy enough to see why you might bounce off it.

Personally, even as someone without Trantino's reverence for that moment in time, I found it a satisfying watch just by nature of how well each scene plays out. There isn't a driving force of plot to focus your attention, but watching Dalton's bewilderment at his young co-star or his self satisfaction at making her proud gives you so much insight into this man and the changing nature of his business. Booth's routine at home contrasting with Dalton's is such a wonderful bit of "show don't tell" character development while also planting seeds that will pay off later. The pressure cooker of Spahn Ranch is such a delightful slow build and a clever backdoor into the actual history the film plays with. The surprise callback of the flame-thrower is both comedic and the final relief in not seeing the terrible true history the film seemed to be building towards. It is a meandering movie that eases on by without a north star of necessity, but it's still a wonderfully constructed love letter by a man who desperately wants to celebrate movies and everything that goes into making them, and someone who knows how to make characters in film interesting and layered.

My sentiments exactly. :clap: A person can dislike, even hate the movie but for what I think is such a good and well made film, you gotta have some real/honest criticisms and not vague, general dislike.

To be honest, I kind of thought Once Upon a Time in Hollywood was kind of shitty until about halfway through the movie, which is when I realized it was basically a slapstick comedy. Once I reframed my mindset, I thought it was brilliant.

Watch the movie imagining it's an R-rated Happy Gilmore, don't expect it to be Reservoir Dogs.

• Haha 1

Leave the World Behind - 5/10

There are some good things. Julia Roberts is a 10/10 karen. In fact, all of the performances are great. The cinematography is so up its own ass that it's distracting, though. Someone found out how to do spinning shots, drone shots, and wipes and figured "let's just do them every single fucking scene, it'll be great!" It's not great, it sucks. You can't have every note be staccato, otherwise staccato is just noise. Save your cool spinning drone shots for moments that matter, not when Bobby is taking a shit. Otherwise the cool moments don't matter as much.

Personally, I'd argue that Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is the one film in QT's film log with the most rewatchability, which says a lot as most of his hold up to multiple viewings.

As for what I initially came to bring up:

Walking Dead: The Ones Who Live. Legit beyond top tier Walking Dead and such a beautiful story of love between Rick and Michonne, with the latest 4th episode (written by Danai) is ... just SO powerful with a legit phenom performance by Andy Lincoln. 

Late this week, but here's the past weekend's recap (well, two weekends' worth really):

-Dumb Money (2023; dir. Craig Gillespie): 7/10

-Kate (2021; dir. Cedric Nicolas-Troyan): 6.5/10

-Triangle of Sadness (2022; dir. Ruben Ostlund): 7.5/10

-The King (2019; dir. David Michod): 7/10

-Broken Arrow (1996; dir. John Woo): 6.5/10

-Star Trek Beyond (2016; dir. Justin Lin): 6.5/10

-Immortals (2011; dir. Tarsem Singh): 7.5/10

-Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas (2003; dirs. Patrick Gilmore/Tim Johnson): 7/10

45 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Room (2015)

Now this is a movie. Extremely touching with two amazing performances. 

5/5

If you like that one, check out "The Room". Even better. :]

Barbarian

I don't know if I have ever seen a movie fall apart so hard in the second half, it honestly feels like two scripts were jammed together to make one movie. The first half was a great tense "what is going on here" psychological horror and the 2nd half is just trashy monster movie.

WONKA (4K/ATMOS) 2.75/5

I knew they were going to do a few musical numbers, but the movie is a musical. I think that kinda threw me off a little. Some songs were good and played around with a few familiar notes, but nothing I remember by heart like the classic. The movie just never picked up the pace, sure a few good moments, but overall slow. Maybe I’m also a little bias because a) it’s really playing into the Gene Wilder classic and b) I had high hopes because of Paul King. What he did for the 2 Paddington films are pure magic and never reached the same magic here. I did really enjoy Hugh Grant’s Oompa-Loompa. The disc looked great and shares the same colouring of his 2 Paddington films. The ATMOS seemed overall active but watched with my mom and her new hearing aids. So I had the volume a little lower than what I would have preferred. Might give it another viewing with my nieces and wounded if my thoughts will change a bit. 

5 hours ago, thewhyteboar said:

I rewatched Deadwood and the movie. 100/5. Possibly the best thing a human has ever created.

Every time someone mentions Deadwood, I think “I should probably watch all of Deadwood again, huh?” even though it’s only been a couple years since my last watch. Such an oddly comforting show. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheLeon said:

Every time someone mentions Deadwood, I think “I should probably watch all of Deadwood again, huh?” even though it’s only been a couple years since my last watch. Such an oddly comforting show. 

Despite all the vulgarity and violence, it is a deeply humanist show.

And it's time to rewatch.

6hgiju.gif

The weekend recap:

-Road House (2024; dir. Doug Liman): 6/10

-Miami Vice: Unrated Director's Cut: 8/10

-Bulletproof Monk (2003; dir. Paul Hunter): 5/10

-Captain Marvel (2019; dirs. Anna Boden/Ryan Fleck): 6.5/10

-Jurassic Park: The Lost World (1997; dir. Steven Spielberg): 7.5/10

Being off work and having a headache and general feeling of blah, I’ve been watching movies over any gaming or reading.

So far:

Green Book

Dunkirk

Goldeneye

I really like all of them so it’s been a comforting ride. Just watching Ling Richard right now which I’ve not seen.

spacer.png

[Plex]

Speed Dating (2007): 6/10

First I would like to say that the poster of this movie is hideous and in no represents what the movie is (in a good way) but then the movie itself is nothing amazing either. It's a romantic comedy of sorts, though the jokes don't really land but the spirit is there. It's about a guy named James who's a rich heir that goes speed dating and lies to women and can't seem to find any women by lying to them, strange I know. Anyway he's seeing a psychologist because he came off a bad breakup (David Hayman plays the doctor and is probably the biggest name in this) and basically James' life is a mess. So conveniently he's stalking a woman and then gets caught and hit by a car and has amnesia. So he forgets everything about his life, meets a nice nurse and then you can kind of tell where the movie goes from there. There's a small subplot involving the lady he was stalking but it seems like it, like many of the scenes, were there to fill out time not actually flesh out what little the story the movie had. It's neither bad nor good, it's a movie that's just kind of there.

• Thanks 1

The weekend recap:

-Jurassic Park III (2001; dir. Joe Johnston): 5/10

-The Marvels (2023; dir. Nia DaCosta): 6/10

-Atomic Blonde (2017; dir. David Leitch): 7/10

-Horrible Bosses 2 (2014; dir. Sean Anders): 6.5/10

-The Wandering Earth II (2023; dir. Frant Gwo): 6.5/10

-Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (2023; dir. James Mangold): 6/10

-Warrior (2011; dir. Gavin O'Connor): 8/10

-The Lost City of Z (2016; dir. James Gray): 8.5/10

THE GENTLEMEN: SEASON ONE (NETFLIX) 4.25/5

I really liked the series, and the overall cast of the show. I was a fan of the movie that inspired the movie and works on pretty much the same premise, but more from the bosses perspective of the business. I liked seeing the muscle/growers of the operation as well. Well you got the muscle in the movies as well, but I like the smaller group here. I really liked/hated the tension of the show because they could easily go one way of the other at the snap of a finger. I also really hope we get a 2nd season of the show. It has been left W - I - D - E open for it, and believe it’s done well enough. viewer wise to warrant a 2nd season. 

• Halal 1

spacer.png

[Blu-Ray]

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya: 7/10

This is one of those shows I wanted to get to watching but this show had a crazy episode order or something that required prior research to watching. However, the Blu-Ray takes the thinking out of this and puts them in "rebroadcast order." Basically the show is about some high school girl that doesn't realize she's pretty much a god, or something of that nature. They make a school club called the SOS Brigade and form a group of five people and then do whatever Haruhi feels like I guess. The show kind of hints at this early on but she wants to see espers, future people and aliens and this feels like a Frailty moment because these people come into existence

I'm not sure how the divide these into seasons but the first half felt a bit more novel with various adventures and it had more of a story. But then the second season rolls around and, maybe this is an ambitious idea, half of the season is like the same episode repeating for 8 episodes and the second half is a long stretch of episodes of them making a movie. It's fun idea I suppose but felt more of a chore to watch than anything. I think the biggest issue for me is that the main guy, Kyon, basically was indifferent the whole time to Haruhi's motives and whatnot, even stuck in a time loop it seemed like he didn't super care - and as for those series of episodes you could kind of figure out the solution to the problem like 3 or so episodes in. I'm sure there are superfans of this show but to me it was a bit strange but kind of mundane at the same time.

• Thanks 1

spacer.png

[Blu-Ray]

The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya: 7/10

This is quite a lengthy movie (nearly 3 hours long) that seemingly offers some closure to the series and maybe takes care of some gripes I had from the show. It starts off pretty much from the end of the show with Haruhi up to her old shenanigans and planning a Christmas party. But the day after Kyon wakes up and Haruhi is seemingly gone from the world, no one at his school has heard of her or has any relation to him even ones he had known previously. So Kyon kind of freaks out and this feels strange at first because on the show he seemed mostly indifferent or at least annoyed at the goings on with Haruhi. So this in a way addresses the issue I had with him on the show how he was never changing but he almost changes too much here. Then the show goes on with Kyon figuring out what happened to Haruhi and how he can fix it then the faces the dilemma of did he actually like having her around. It also ties back into the show in a big way so I wouldn't recommend going into this without at least having seen the first season. Overall it is an interesting if not an odd twist on what the original show was.

• Thanks 1

The Marvels

I've been kind of checked out on the MCU for a while now, I watched most the recent movies except for Antman 3 but I had no clue what was going on in half this movie, was a lot of the backstory and characters covered in a show I skipped? I didn't have an issue with the odder parts of the movie surprisingly like the musical planet or the Cats sequence, comics are silly so its fine.

4 hours ago, elbobo said:

The Marvels

I've been kind of checked out on the MCU for a while now, I watched most the recent movies except for Antman 3 but I had no clue what was going on in half this movie, was a lot of the backstory and characters covered in a show I skipped? I didn't have an issue with the odder parts of the movie surprisingly like the musical planet or the Cats sequence, comics are silly so its fine.

The Marvels is ostensibly a sequel to Captain Marvel, WandaVision and Miss Marvel so if you didn't see that film and both shows you'll definitely be lost regarding who Monica Rambeau and Kamala Khan are, how they got their powers and what they are capable of.

I didn't mind the musical planet or the cat sequence, the problem with having those sequences (and Fury making constant jokes in every scene he's in) in a very short one hour and 45 minutes means there's no time for an actual film with real characters and stakes. You can only waste so much time on non-sequitur sequences if your film is short. It's also super weird for a jokey film to massacre the entire musical planet off screen and never mention it again.

spacer.png

[Netflix]

Synchronic: 7/10

Another film from Moorehead & Benson, this one lets you know early you're in for a trip. A couple of people take some drugs and then find themselves somewhere in the past. At this point we might assume it's some crazy hallucination but the film follows two paramedics that seem to be following the aftermath of victims of the drug and many of them have mysterious injuries. The thing they all have in common is they took a drug called Synchronic. Anthony Mackie plays one of the paramedics (Steve) and is diagnosed with a cancer in his pineal gland. Meanwhile his Paramedic coworker, Dennis, who is also his best friend, Dennis' daughter disappears after taking the drug and since Steve has nothing to lose decides to experiment with the drug and comes up with a way to bring the daughter back.

Like a lot of Moorhead & Benson movies it has an ambitious idea but not everything comes together. The time traveling angle is actually very cool. However, it's all kind of mixed in this family drama stuff. The cops are racist and the movie really tries to ham up that angle (though it does make sense for Louisiana) and maybe Mackie is a bit too silly in this. But if you can push past the first part of the movie the time travel stuff really carries a lot of the movie.

• Thanks 1

Talk to Me - an actually not shit ‘horror’ film with just a few ridiculous moments.

Barbie - I wasn’t feeling the opening third, came together much more on the back end. It also had bits about parents and children and nearly cried. 

The weekend recap:

-Jurassic Park (1993; dir. Steven Spielberg): 10/10

-Only God Forgives (2013; dir. Nicolas Winding Refn): 9/10

-Sin City: Recut, Extended and Unrated Edition (2005; dir. Robert Rodriguez/Frank Miller): 8/10

-The Northman (2022; dir. Robert Eggers): 7/10

-How to Blow Up a Pipeline (2022; dir. Daniel Goldhaber): 8.5/10

-Past Lives (2023; dir. Celine Song): 7.5/10

-Dragon Ball Z: Movie 1 - Dead Zone (1989; dir. Daisuke Nishio): 7/10

2 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

The weekend recap:

-Jurassic Park (1993; dir. Steven Spielberg): 10/10

-Only God Forgives (2013; dir. Nicolas Winding Refn): 9/10

-Sin City: Recut, Extended and Unrated Edition (2005; dir. Robert Rodriguez/Frank Miller): 8/10

-The Northman (2022; dir. Robert Eggers): 7/10

-How to Blow Up a Pipeline (2022; dir. Daniel Goldhaber): 8.5/10

-Past Lives (2023; dir. Celine Song): 7.5/10

-Dragon Ball Z: Movie 1 - Dead Zone (1989; dir. Daisuke Nishio): 7/10

It legitimately impresses me with how many movies you watch pretty much every weekend. I can barely cook my meals. :p 

• Haha 1