~Rate The Last Movie/TV Show You Watched Thread~

13 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Yeah, this was really good. I feel like more people need to see this and Inherent Vice, two PTA films people frequently overlook.

As a matter of fact I also watched Inherent Vice the other week, right after finishing the book...I wasn't as big on it, but I think that's because it cut too many of my favorite scenes/lines from the novel (though it was an admirable - and mostly good! - adaptation).

• Halal 1

4 minutes ago, Chris- said:

As a matter of fact I also watched Inherent Vice the other week, right after finishing the book...I wasn't as big on it, but I think that's because it cut too many of my favorite scenes/lines from the novel (though it was an admirable - and mostly good! - adaptation).

I mean, adapting Pynchon is nearly impossible and PTA is a huge fan of his. I think it's as good an adaptation as one can get in the same way Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is probably the best adaptation of another unfilmable book. I just wish more people checked out the movie since it is pretty good given few are ever gonna read Pynchon. At least this way they get a taste. What would you rate Inherent Vice?

spacer.png

[Plex]

Proof (1991): 8/10

Martin (Hugo Weaving) has been blind since birth and as a blind person it's important to trust the person who can describe your surroundings. Unfortunately for most of his life Martin has been surrounded by untrustworthy people. First his mother that he believes lied to him and later in life his housekeeper Celia (Geneviève Picot) obsessed with him but very manipulative at the same time. Martin carries around a camera with him and takes photographs with it, odd for a blind man. Martin eventually befriends a bus boy Andy (Russell Crowe) and explains to him that the pictures are proof of what others tell him the world is. So he asks Andy to be his go to photo describer which is the ultimate form of trust. Written and directed by Jocelyn Moorhouse, Proof is an interesting little Aussie drama, well acted and damn if Crowe doesn't look young as hell in this.

• Thanks 1

TETRIS 4.5/5

I only have a few days left of my AppleTV and I had been wanting to see this since the trailer came out. I gotta say that I’m sure as hell happy I saw this before I lose it on the 20th. The story is true and it’s completely insane how Tetris was turned into the launch game for the GameBoy. The cast is great, movie is funny/intense at times and boy are there a bunch of great techno versions of that Tetris theme. I haven’t seen many movies this year but this was pretty awesome. 

• Halal 1

SHADOW 3/5

I bought the 4K disc based on word of mouth. Same director as House of the Flying Daggers and Hero, but don’t expect much fighting here. We get some but no where near the amount in the previous flicks. We get a beautiful looking flick that lives in the blacks and whites throughout the movie with only blood and skin tone being pretty much the only colours that stand out in the film. The film thankfully has a very immersive Atmos track with a consistent overhead rain/thunder sound throughout. Although I did find the English subtitles really flyby fast with this flick. So beautiful sounding/looking disc but don’t expect the same movie action like from his previous films. 

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, silentbob said:

SHADOW 3/5

I bought the 4K disc based on word of mouth. Same director as House of the Flying Daggers and Hero, but don’t expect much fighting here. We get some but no where near the amount in the previous flicks. We get a beautiful looking flick that lives in the blacks and whites throughout the movie with only blood and skin tone being pretty much the only colours that stand out in the film. The film thankfully has a very immersive Atmos track with a consistent overhead rain/thunder sound throughout. Although I did find the English subtitles really flyby fast with this flick. So beautiful sounding/looking disc but don’t expect the same movie action like from his previous films. 

I thought this movie was phenomenal. 3/5, ooof, harsh. :p 

24 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I thought this movie was phenomenal. 3/5, ooof, harsh. :p 

I think it’s because I was expecting more action than the dramatic for the flick after like I had said, his past 2 other flicks. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, silentbob said:

I think it’s because I was expecting more action than the dramatic for the flick after like I had said, his past 2 other flicks. 

I'll stand by the statement I've said elsewhere that to score something for what it isn't rather than what it is doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Yimou Zhang, who indeed did direct Hero and House of Flying Daggers has directed over 20 films, almost none of them action movies. The movie is great regardless of its lack of action, I thought. Like, did you knock two whole points off for not having action it was never going to have? It's not like the movie itself tricks you into thinking it should or will be an action movie and then isn't. :p 

spacer.png

[Plex]

I Witness: 6/10

When Jeff Daniels and James Spader are in the same movie, you know some good shit is about to go down. Directed by Rowdy Herrington (Road House / Striking Distance) this feels a little bit on the low budget side but perhaps helped by the fact it takes place in Tijuana. Daniels plays James Rhodes a human rights inspector in charge of overseeing a corporation's election to unionize but stumbles upon a murder investigation that involves 27 dead bodies. The police want to point the finger at drug cartels but from the cops to the corporations everyone is crooked. I don't think this is a bad movie, it feels like an episode of TV so it's not going to blow your nuts off. The script is a bit cliche and the representation of Mexico isn't going to do anyone any favors.  The resolution of the movie won't surprise anyone but it's an entertaining journey for what it is.

• Thanks 1

Been watching a lot lately these past three months or so, I'll include some here (some are rewatches, some are my first time watching). 

-Hidalgo (2004; dir. Joe Johnston): 6.5/10

-Appaloosa (2008; dir. Ed Harris): 6.5/10

-Get Shorty (1995; dir. Barry Sonnenfeld): 7/10

-Be Cool (2005; dir. F. Fary Gray): 6/10

-Das Boot: Original Uncut TV Miniseries Version (1981/1985; dir. Wolfgang Petersen): 9.5/10

-Sisu (2022; dir. Jalmari Helander): 7.5/10

-The Card Counter (2021; dir. Paul Schrader): 7/10

-Atlantis: The Lost Empire (2001; dir. Gary Trousdale/Kirk Wise): 7/10

-The Road to El Dorado (2000; writers Ted Elliott/Terry Rossio): 7/10

-TMNT (2007; dir. Kevin Monroe): 6.5/10

-Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2014; dir. Jonathan Liebesman): 6.5/10

-Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows (2016; dir. Dave Green): 6.5/10

-Total Recall: Uncut Extended Edition (2012; dir. Len Wiseman): 5.5/10

-Transsiberian (2008; dir. Brad Anderson): 6.5/10

-Voyage of Time: An IMAX Documentary Experience (2016; dir. Terrence Malick; 45 minutes; Brad Pitt narration): 7/10

-Voyage of Time: Life's Journey (2016; dir. Terrence Malick; 1.5 hours; Cate Blanchett narration): 8/10

-Shin Godzilla (2016; dir. Hideaki Anno/Shinji Higuchi): 8/10

-Godzilla (2014; dir. Gareth Edwards): 7.5/10

-Kong: Skull Island (2017; dir. Jordan Vogt-Roberts): 7/10

-Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019; dir. Michael Dougherty): 6/10

-Godzilla vs. Kong (2021; dir. Adam Wingard): 6.5/10

-Monarch: Legacy of Monsters (season 1; 2023; dir. Matt Shakman): 7/10

-Skull Island (season 1; 2023; writer Brian Duffield): 6.5/10

-Enemy at the Gates (2001; Jean-Jacques Annaud): 8/10

-Magic Mike's Last Dance (2023; dir. Steven Soderbergh): 6/10

-Max Payne (2008; dir. John Moore): 5/10

-Flamin' Hot (2023; dir. Eva Longoria): 7/10

-Leon: The Professional - Uncut Extended Edition (1994; dir. Luc Besson): 8.5/10

-21 Jump Street (2012; dir. Phil Lord/Christopher Miller): 8/10

-22 Jump Street (2014; dir. Phil Lord/Christopher Miller): 7.5/10

-Neighbors (2014; dir. Nicholas Stoller): 8/10

-Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising (2016; dir. Nicholas Stoller): 7/10

-300 (2006; dir. Zack Snyder): 9/10

-300: Rise of an Empire (2014; dir. Noam Murro): 6.5/10

-Prisoners of the Ghostland (2021; Sion Sono): 6.5/10

-Willy's Wonderland (2021; dir. Kevin Lewis): 6/10

-The Tender Bar (2021; writer William Monahan; dir. George Clooney): 7/10

-The Caine Mutiny Court-Martial (2023; dir. William Friedkin): 8/10

-X (2022; dir. Ti West): 7/10

-Pearl (2022; dir. Ti West): 7/10

-Knock at the Cabin (2023; dir. M. Night Shyamalan): 6.5/10

-Clerks (1994; dir. Kevin Smith): 8.5/10

-Clerks II (2006; dir. Kevin Smith): 7.5/10

-Clerks III (2022; dir. Kevin Smith): 7/10

Been watching/rewatching a lot of anime films too starting with the big films/big names from 2010 onward (more or less). Just started this process, next up will be Children Who Chase Lost Voices and The Garden of Words. 

-She and Her Cat (1999; dir. Makoto Shinkai; short film): 7/10

-Voices of a Distant Star (2002; dir. Makoto Shinkai; short film): 6.5/10

-The Place Promised In Our Early Days (2004; dir. Makoto Shinkai): 7.5/10

-5 Centimeters per Second (2007; dir. Makoto Shinkai): 8/10

• Sicko 2

ONWARDS 3D 3/5

Well with 3d discs drying up everywhere, I decided to splurge before Xmas and grab a couple cheaper 3d films from overseas in the UK (plus they had Bluey books for my nieces) Anyways onto the movie itself, it’s a pretty heavy adult subject matter. Sadly a few character moments touched pretty close to myself and with my dad’s passing. So I admit I might have had a good eye sweat going a few times. Movie has some chuckles but not nearly the laughs of past Pixar films. The animation as always looks amazing and the 3D added some wonderful added dimension and tremendous depth. (especially the bridge crossing scene) Sadly like most Disney discs, the soundtrack is pretty neutered in the bass/volume department, but great use of surrounds. So not their best Pixar films but it has just enough heartwarming moments that still worked for me. Not a movie I really think I would want to watch with my kids (if I had any) until I think they’re ready to talk about death. 

spacer.png

[Netflix]

The Uncanny Counter 2: Counter Punch: 8/10

This is a show I had intended to watch last year BUT they were doing a weekly episode release so I waited until now so I could pull a @skillzdadirecta and watch them all at my leisure.

If you are unfamiliar with this show it is basically like a superhero adjacent show about some folks with special powers that help them take on evil spirits. The first season was basically about young So Mun's rise to becoming a counter and you know hunting down evil spirits, corruption all that stuff. The first season kind of had an overarching story with some sort of "monster of the week" type evil spirits to hunt down every so often. The second season, however, is a lot more focused. Instead of random evil spirits it's focused on a gang of three. These three are basically some of the most wicked characters you'll see on a show but also some of the most powerful spirits the counters have ever fought.

I had seen a few comments when I was about halfway though this about people not enjoying it as much as the first but I think it's on par with that. It is a lot darker than the first one though, a lot more evil, which I could see bumming some people out. I give a special shout out to Jin Sun-Kyu here who's got such a multifaceted role and he really pulls it off. If I had any gripes I think it would be that the new guy is kind of annoying. Also, the final episode (usually I refer to as the victory lap episode) I feel like perhaps wraps up things too much, and I won't say what it is but if you watch you'll know what I mean heh. Also down the stretch a lot of blatant product placement but overall it's not too bad. I recommended you watch the first season and well I still recommend that along with the second season, so get on it!

A small aside here at the end but when the first season was out I may have mentioned that Ha-Na was played by Kim Se-Jeong, and at the time I had not heard her music. But when you think about it singers are a good fit for acting because when they sing isn't it kind of acting? In any case she released an album last year and it seems she's got a knack for this stuff. She put out a music video just as good as some action movies, damn! :o

• Thanks 1

Thank God that Disney was kind enough to give us 3D fans/users a physical 3D disc release to purchase. Watched tonight on my projector at 106” and was your 3D was the main attraction of the film. I love James Cameron and what he has given us story wise over the years of his career, along with his visual eye for film too. Sadly I find his Avatar films a little generic but are a must see if you have a 3D set to take advantage of. It looks stunning from seaweed and tree foliage appearing out of the screen in front of our characters. Pretty cool seeing characters running at you with heated flying bullets shooting out beyond them hitting you. Plot wise, I pretty much saw who would probably die/saved for future film plots. I liked the chemistry of the family and the underwater scenes looked amazing. This probably looks good with 4K/HDR on a good set as well, but I see why some waited to see these movies in theatres 3D wise. Well, from personal experience while working during the first films theatrical release. Also wanna say that they have thankfully improved the audio on their disc releases but still want deeper LFE action. If you remember the first blu-ray release of Finding Nemo and its whale sounds on that disc. I want that deep fucking rattle the basement foundation sub action again. We have tons of “whales” in this film, but never reach that rattle the house to the ground sub action. Anyways, I’m game for the third movie and I hope I get some sort of 3D release/stream for that as well

• Thanks 1

spacer.png

[Plex]

The Champagne Gang: 4/10

This based on a true story about a gang of ladies from San Diego that rob grocery stores at night. Very odd since I've lived here my whole life and do not recall anything like this. 🤔 In any case it's certainly a movie with a good idea poor execution. It basically shows the rise and fall of these ladies from how they got their start robbing liquor stores to getting recruited by a criminal mastermind named Cal Wertlieb and doing high level jobs based on his teachings. The film has a number of problems and they all probably stem from the fairly low budget. Many scenes are just one shot with everyone gathered and talking, and the more talking the worse off the movie is because unfortunately the acting isn't that great. There's one scene early on that is supposed to be in a dance club (I think) and it's just two dudes and a girl standing in front of a wall and dancing, but no lights, terrible music that no one would want to dance to, just kind of awkward. There isn't much character building either which is another big problem since there is a lack of action or any type of heist action. I think the film was trying to rely on the charisma and beauty of the girls (on only one of them is really only good looking) but it's just kind of dull watching them talk to each other or deliver a voice over for things that would have been more interesting to see. Perhaps a lot of the budget was spent on this Ferrari they spend gassing up the audience about, but when you see it you're like yo that's the ghettoest Ferrari out there.

Spoiler

I'm pretty sure it was this model or close to it

Paris_-_Bonhams_2014_-_Ferrari_456GT_mod

I will say that it was cool seeing local places, like they actually filmed at Moonlight Beach, and it seemed to want to name drop a lot of places in San Diego but really I think that would appeal to very few people. In fact it kind of harms them in one instance and maybe only someone like @TwinIon would pick up on this but they go on about a big heist they could make at a store near Camp Pendleton, but the store they are talking about when they go there is Seaside Market in Cardiff, not even close to Camp Pendleton.

Basically The Champagne Gang is a movie with an idea too big for it's britches. Unfortunately Daniel Zirilli is not Michael Mann and the film turns out to be more of a storybook with women in it than an actual compelling heist movie. The biggest let down is it was all built on a lie, the true story of this movie is

Spoiler

The Champagne Gang were all men. Undermining the whole idea of "women can do what guys can do" message of the whole movie. Gottem!

• Thanks 1
  • Sicko 1

Watched a couple of things over the weekend:

-Ferrari (2023; dir. Michael Mann): 8/10

-The Green Knight (2021; dir. David Lowery): 8.5/10

-The Equalizer (2014; dir. Antoine Fuqua): 6.5/10

-Mad God (2021; dir. Phil Tippett): 8/10

-Blue Eye Samurai (2023; written by Amber Noizumi/Michael Green): 8/10

-Sonny Boy (2021; written/dir. Shingo Natsume): 9/10

-Psycho-Pass: Providence (2023; written by Tow Ubukata/Makoto Fukami): 7/10

• Halal 1
  • Hugs 1

3 hours ago, thewhyteboar said:

I really need to see The Green Knight.

It's a great movie, but it's very much a vibe movie like The Fountain, The Fall, The Northman, director David Lowery's other film A Ghost Story, etc. So long as one goes in knowing that, I think it's pretty unique and great.

spacer.png

["DVD"]

Najica Blitz Tactics: 7/10

Gonna sound like a broken record here but this is another show I've had on DVD for a long while but haven't gotten around to watching (so long ago I bought this at overstock.com). But ever since @Greatoneshere shared his secret site I had been looking into shows I had on DVD that are provided in better quality and this was one of them.

It's basically a female spy action show. It's got a cool stye to it. Najica Hiiragi is the spy, and she gets her mission orders with a rose. She usually works alone but her first mission is to rescue a girl named Lila. She turns out to be an android/robot (known as a Humaritt on this show) and becomes her partner. Most episodes are kind of their own thing but they end up retrieving a lot of other Humaritts. Then the show goes a bit deeper on the idea of Humaritts developing emotions and thinking for themselves. A pretty short show with a bit of a bittersweet ending. Though they aren't making this anymore and the studio that produces the animation has gone bankrupt I still like the idea that there could be the possibility of more.

All that positivity aside there is a big flaw of the show and it is the amount of fan service going on. I feel like Big Sean there is so much ass on this show. It's like there was a requisite number of panty shots per episode they had to achieve or something. If you can see up it's skirt it's going to happen, over and over and over. Normally I probably wouldn't be bothered by this type of thing but it happens so often it becomes distracting, especially since the show is pretty good fun.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I will say that the Berserk from Archive.org was better looking than anything on there though. :p

Which website are you using specifically? For Berserk the one I used got me the JP blurays with the English dub added in - looked pretty amazing, was a pretty hefty download.

Love on the Spectrum S1/2 - 10/10 I don’t have a lot to say, I just fucking love this show. It feels like it’s to Reality shows what Schitts Creek and Ted Lasso are to “regular” shows.

It dawned on me I have no idea how to classify those two shows. TV just feels like TV now. Things don’t fit into the old network boxes as well anymore. 

Anyway, David and Abby are my favorite people on the fucking planet right now. 

spacer.png

[Plex]

Cheap Thrills: 7/10

Cheap Thrills is a pseudo black comedy and perhaps horror adjacent film. It's about a happily married man with some financial problems. He's served an eviction notice and gets laid off on the same day. He goes to a bar and happens to meet an old high school friend and they find a rich dude at the bar who pays them to do silly stunts, like get slapped by a woman at the bar or take a shot tequila. Well they go back to the guy's place and the stunts just escalate from there. I thought it felt genuine and tense and I don't think it went too far with it's violence, like not quite torture porn. Though I still wouldn't recommend it for the faint of heart. It is an interesting spin on what a horror movie can be.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

It feels like it’s to Reality shows what Schitts Creek and Ted Lasso are to “regular” shows.

It dawned on me I have no idea how to classify those two shows. TV just feels like TV now. Things don’t fit into the old network boxes as well anymore. 

I'm pretty sure Schitt's Creek and Ted Lasso are comedies or comedy-dramas at best (known as a dramedy). What other genres could even apply to them? Schitt's Creek and Ted Lasso aren't doing anything that different than Parks and Rec, The Good Place, Brooklyn Nine-Nine, etc. They are all primarily comedies with some heart/feels to them, that's all.

THE MENU 3.75/5

I’m still processing the overall message and I like the movie the more I think about it. The idea is cool and bonkers, yet it works. Ralph Fiennes can do no wrong for me it seems in any role he takes, and was robbed for Budapest Hotel. Sinks his literal teeth into the role and the Atmos track on the Disney+ stream was active. I’ve watched other Atmos tracks that weren’t as consistently active with action. Wont spoil anything and just recommend you watch the movie. I believe this was also written by some staff members that use to report on comingsoon.net as their first feature. I hope we see more creative menu options from them again.

• Thanks 1
  • Hype 1

14 hours ago, silentbob said:

THE MENU 3.75/5

I’m still processing the overall message and I like the movie the more I think about it. The idea is cool and bonkers, yet it works. Ralph Fiennes can do no wrong for me it seems in any role he takes, and was robbed for Budapest Hotel. Sinks his literal teeth into the role and the Atmos track on the Disney+ stream was active. I’ve watched other Atmos tracks that weren’t as consistently active with action. Wont spoil anything and just recommend you watch the movie. I believe this was also written by some staff members that use to report on comingsoon.net as their first feature. I hope we see more creative menu options from them again.

This movie was darkly hilarious to me and John Leguizamo was great in this.

• Like 1

NOPE 3.25/5 (4K/ATMOS)

So another movie from my collection finally watched. Get Out I still liked better, haven’t seen US yet, but have the 4K disc for a viewing soon. I don’t think it’s a spoiler to say that movie involves ufos/aliens, but I like Peele’s take on them. I thought it was very inventive and a cool twist on what is already a scary notion to our feeble human brains. It might drag a bit here and there, with a side story that maybe wasn’t needed. Sure it sort of plays into the movie plot, but would have worked just as easily without too. The Atmos track was active but I think I need to tune in my subs a little bit. Still it was creepy sounds and sort of reminded me of Signs with its atmospheric track as well. The 4K looked overall good but some parts seemed over saturated in some warmer colour palette scenes. Still a fun take on E.T.’s and will try to get US in for viewing soon.

• Hype 1

The Book of Clarence 2/5

Book of Clarence is a messy and unfocused film that has an interesting potential as a satire dramady, but ends up becoming almost a weird black Hebrew Israelite Passion of the Christ. It's a film that starts out with a comic impulse, but loses its way when it gets too close to religion.

Spoilers

Spoiler

I won't dwell on it too long, but of all the mistakes that the film makes, I think the worst is that they gave Clarence a miracle. I grew up in a Christian home and I've read the bible and done my time in Sunday school, and the focus on miracles really undercuts any element of faith here. Clarence does the right thing, is rewarded with incontrovertible evidence that he should have faith, and then he has it. It's also super not clear if Clarence completely takes Jesus' spot on the cross or not. I could go on and on, but suffice to say that the religious parts of this film are messy as hell.

• Thanks 1

The weekend recap:

-Life of Pi (2012; dir. Ang Lee): 7/10

-A Knight's Tale (2001; dir. Brian Helgeland): 7/10

-The Equalizer 2 (2018; dir. Antoine Fuqua): 6.5/10

-The Equalizer 3 (2023; dir. Antoine Fuqua): 6.5/10

-One Piece: Movie 6 - Baron Omatsuri and the Secret Island (2005; dir. Mamoru Hosoda): 7.5/10

-The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (2006; dir. Mamoru Hosoda): 7.5/10

• Halal 1

spacer.png

[Plex]

The Echo: 5/10

This is a psychological horror movie or is supposed to be one anyway. It follows an ex-con, Bobby Reynolds, returning home, living in his deceased mother's apartment. He hears noises in the walls. Is this disturbing to someone who's been living in prison? He complains to the superintendent but the super denies any noise and then says no one wants to talk Bobby because he's an ex con. In a following scene there's another guy in his building that wants to ask Bobby about the noise but then Bobby doesn't want to talk to that guy (weird, isn't this something Bobby wanted?) In any case there is a cop next door that beats his wife and kids but the twist is no one is living there, so I guess it's just the spirit of domestic violence next door. So the moral of the story is don't beat your wife and kids or something. The real horror is how society mistreats ex convicts. In any case The Echo is not particularly scary and sort of boring.

• Thanks 1

Saw Argylle today and have to say I have no clue why it got such a crap score on RT. It's fun, somewhat clever in areas. The only thing that surprised me was Bryce Dallas Howard's weight gain. Don't get me wrong she still attractive, but the last thing I saw her in was the last jurrasic park movie and she looks way different. Did she just have another kid or does she have a medical condition where she's been on steroids or something? 

In many ways it reminded me of (only look if you have you've already seen it or have no intention of seeing it 

Spoiler

The Long Kiss Goodnight.   Both feature a spy with amnesia and strangely both have skating sequences. 

BARBIE 3.25/5 

Finally found a 4K copy at an ok price. So I watched this last night and it was overall good movie but maybe I let the hype get in too much as well. I think I agree with some reviews out there with certain messages being beaten into the messaging over and over again. I liked the “4th wall” aspect they used from the songs and brief narrator interruptions. Margot does a good job for Barbie (maybe robbed of nod, haven’t seen others) Gosling steals every scene he’s in is all in for everything Ken. If it doesn’t win for set designs and costuming, the academy is stupid. The disc looked stunning in 4K, and the sound was overall good but not a standout Atmos track. Overall it’s a good movie, again I might of let the hype get to me. Overall, it’s a movie that no one thought had the right to be this good (before seeing it) and overall just works in the end. 

• Thanks 1