Senate confirms Justice Handmaid One

On 9/23/2020 at 11:32 AM, CitizenVectron said:

Something that boggles my mind: 

In the last 50 years, 14 SCOTUS seats have been filled by Republican Presidents, while only 4 have been filled by Democrats. 

In that same time, Republicans have had 8 Presidential terms, while Democrats have had 5. The ratio is way off.

Is this true?! Obama had two of those and Clinton had one... nor Trump is gonna get three?!

9 minutes ago, Jason said:

I'd give money to a Democratic politician who just embraced what Republicans say about Democrats and explicitly runs on a pledge to violently purge Republican politicians. 

Even more tellingly, I'd give money to someone with Michael Bennett politics if they weren't such a fucking coward about actually wielding political authority

Fuck the senate. We have 53 Republican senators representing 153 million Americans vs. 47 Democrat senators representing 168 million Americans.

Fuck the senate and fuck the electoral college. This needs to be the first and only thing the Dems fix when (if?) they regain power. FUCK ALL THIS.

We're stuck in a system, where a minority of people are in charge? That's not how this is supposed to work. The system is broken. The constitution is fucking dumb and needs to change.

4 minutes ago, ort said:

We're stuck in a system, where a minority of people are in charge? That's not how this is supposed to work.

I mean, it kinda is. There is a reason they constitution has two chambers with representation based on different criteria. Whether that was a wise decision or not is a different matter :p 

8 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I mean, it kinda is. There is a reason they constitution has two chambers with representation based on different criteria. Whether that was a wise decision or not is a different matter :p 

Clearly, it was not a wise decision. Everyone should have an equal say. Smaller states should matter less because they're fucking smaller. It's not rocket science.

I'm from a smaller republican state. Represent me less. I don't care. Make the shit fair, that's all we want.

1 minute ago, ort said:

Clearly, it was not a wise decision. Everyone should have an equal say. Smaller states should matter less because they're fucking smaller. It's not rocket science.

I'm from a smaller republican state. Represent me less. I don't care. Make the shit fair, that's all we want.

People should be the focus, not states.

On 9/23/2020 at 8:32 AM, CitizenVectron said:

Something that boggles my mind: 

In the last 50 years, 14 SCOTUS seats have been filled by Republican Presidents, while only 4 have been filled by Democrats. 

In that same time, Republicans have had 8 Presidential terms, while Democrats have had 5. The ratio is way off.

It's a shame Democrats don't have a media ecosystem like Fox News or talk-radio to amplify this statistic.

I doubt most people know that Republicans have filled 80% of SCOTUS seats in the past 50 years. I didn't know. It makes it all the more humorous that Republicans constantly bitch about the "liberal" Supreme Court.

My Indiana Senator Mike Braun just sent me an email saying he supports Trump's nomineeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee prior to the election.

Thank you for contacting me regarding the vacancy on the Supreme Court of the United States. I appreciate hearing from you on this issue.

Ruth Bader Ginsburg was a well-respected public servant during her tenure as an Associate Justice on the Supreme Court of the United States. Justice Ginsburg served with distinction and honor while sitting on the Supreme Court and I am saddened by her passing. Justice Ginsburg will long be remembered for the trailblazer she was throughout her life.

Concerning the vacancy created by Justice Ginsburg’s passing, I take the constitutional duty of the Senate to provide advice and consent on the President’s nominations for Supreme Court justices seriously. As a United States Senator, I know that it is my responsibility to vote to confirm only those nominees whose qualifications and experience make it clear that they are capable and ready to successfully perform the duties of a Supreme Court justice. I know that potential appointees to the Supreme Court must be well-versed in our constitutional principles and able to fairly apply them to cases at hand. 

Long-standing Senate precedent is important to consider in this decision.  Fifteen times in our country’s history a Supreme Court vacancy occurred in a presidential election year and all fifteen times the President submitted a nominee to the Senate.  However, in the seven times that the Senate was controlled by the opposite political party as the President, only two were confirmed—the last being in 1888.  Of the eight times that the political party of the Senate majority and the President were aligned, seven nominations were confirmed. The only one to not be confirmed was a nominee who was rejected in a bipartisan fashion over ethics and personal finance issues. 

After the Senate followed over a century of precedent and refused to confirm President Obama’s 2016 nominee, the American people elected President Donald Trump with a mandate to appoint Supreme Court justices who will follow the constitution and not legislate from the bench. Likewise, Hoosiers gave me a clear mandate in 2018 to support confirming qualified judges that will fairly interpret the law and protect life and personal liberty. I support Leader McConnell and this long held Senate precedent in considering President Donald Trump’s nominee to the Supreme Court prior to the November election. 

It is an honor to serve as your U.S. Senator from Indiana.  Please keep in touch with me on issues of concern to you. You can also follow me on Twitter or Facebook for real-time updates on my activities in the U.S. Senate.  If I ever may be of service, please do not hesitate to contact me.

55 minutes ago, ort said:

Fuck the senate. We have 53 Republican senators representing 153 million Americans vs. 47 Democrat senators representing 168 million Americans.

Fuck the senate and fuck the electoral college. This needs to be the first and only thing the Dems fix when (if?) they regain power. FUCK ALL THIS.

We're stuck in a system, where a minority of people are in charge? That's not how this is supposed to work. The system is broken. The constitution is fucking dumb and needs to change.

I'm actually surprised the population difference is that close. Though I suppose that means a representative Senate would be pretty much exactly flipped, so that's a 6 seat swing.

The electoral college could be made irrelevant by the National Popular Vote Compact, but the Senate? I imagine you'd need a constitutional amendment, which has always seemed like a long shot, but feels even more so given the recent talk of the Constitution being handed down by god and what not.

I'd love to see SCOTUS reformed as well. Assign each seat an 18 year term (so if someone dies while serving, their replacement takes over that term), and offset each seat's term by 2 years, so every full presidential term you nominate 2 justices. If we went through the SCOTUS process every other year, and we understood that every President would nominate 2 justices, it would regulate and clarify the stakes of a presidential election's effect on the court.

4 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

The electoral college could be made irrelevant by the National Popular Vote Compact, but the Senate? I imagine you'd need a constitutional amendment, which has always seemed like a long shot,

There's a reasonable interpretation of the constitution that changing each states 2 member representation in the Senate would require every state to sign off on it and not even a constitutional amendment could fix this

9 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

My Indiana Senator Mike Braun just sent me an email saying he supports Trump's nomineeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee prior to the election.

It kills me when someone tries to make a point with "The American people elected Donald Trump to...", he won the election, but the American people didn't elect him.

1 minute ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

There's a reasonable interpretation of the constitution that changing each states 2 member representation in the Senate would require every state to sign off on it and not even a constitutional amendment could fix this

Briefly looking into it brought me to Article V which reads:

The Congress, whenever two thirds of both houses shall deem it necessary, shall propose amendments to this Constitution, or, on the application of the legislatures of two thirds of the several states, shall call a convention for proposing amendments, which, in either case, shall be valid to all intents and purposes, as part of this Constitution, when ratified by the legislatures of three fourths of the several states, or by conventions in three fourths thereof, as the one or the other mode of ratification may be proposed by the Congress; provided that no amendment which may be made prior to the year one thousand eight hundred and eight shall in any manner affect the first and fourth clauses in the ninth section of the first article; and that no state, without its consent, shall be deprived of its equal suffrage in the Senate.

So yeah, it seems you're right that if the Senate were to change it's representation in some way that made small states less equal, they'd specifically have to sign off on it.

Of course, you could probably amend Article V first, and then change the Senate, but we were already in fantasyland contemplating a single change through the established amendment system. Anything more would require a mass consensus the likes of which I doubt we'll ever see.

53 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

I don't see why a constitutional amendment couldn't simply strike the bit about every single state needing to sign off.

There is a commonly held view in the, dun dun dun, legal community that an amendment itself can’t be violative of the constitution.

For example, you couldn’t pass an amendment that made female votes with 1/2 of male votes because the amendment itself is an equal protection violation.

Not sure that would apply to the senate situation, but I could see it.

What if we just change it around so the senate has much less power. I'm no constitutional expert... not even close... but it feels to me like the senate wields way more power than the house. Why is that? Just change that. It's a start.

Have the house confirm the justices.

4 minutes ago, ort said:

What if we just change it around so the senate has much less power. I'm no constitutional expert... not even close... but it feels to me like the senate wields way more power than the house. Why is that? Just change that. It's a start.

Having the House confirm justices would require a constitutional amendment.  

Any meaningful change to the power/structure of Congress would need a constitutional amendment, aside from expanding the house, or admitting new states - both of which could be done with simple legislation. 

19 hours ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

They're "liberals" - that's how.

Found this on a youtube comment. "Liberalism reinforces the economic status quo but with a few leftist social values and some performative wokeness mixed in, that’s really it."

17 hours ago, Jason said:

I'd give money to a Democratic politician who just embraced what Republicans say about Democrats and explicitly runs on a pledge to violently purge Republican politicians. 

I'd sign up for that.

35 minutes ago, ort said:

The power of the senate is directly tied to the delegation of power in the constitution.