Senate confirms Justice Handmaid One

3 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

As much as the read meat dumbass conservatives would like that I think the smartest of the bunch realize how effective the bad faith “it’s still the law!” Is

Exactly. It's in their interest that they can mobilize voters with judges; I don't think they're expecting to get even more of that vote by gutting it.

Also, this makes me want to buy Reaganland. It may be my next political book.

I know it's petty, but I'm almost more upset about the language of the hypocrisy than the act itself. The GOP stalled on Garland because it was within their power and they wanted a chance to nominate someone themselves. They'll rush through this vote because they have the power and they would rather have a Trump nominee now than a potential Biden nominee later. If they just said "this is the power afforded to the Senate, and we get to wield it the way we want, deal with it" I'd have the slightest bit more respect for them.

Instead now, just as it was then, we get an endless string of lies and empty justifications. You're not playing to precedent or history, you're not respecting voters or living up to your constitutional duties. You're wielding the power granted to you by this undemocratic institution effectively and ruthlessly.

Yeah, I'm not happy with the outcome, but the outcome was obvious from the start, I've made whatever peace I can make with myself over what will happen. I just hate that not only does the outcome not change, but we have to listen to these sniveling lowlives' incessant falsehoods and phony moral justifications all the while on our roller coaster to hell. 

3 minutes ago, Joe said:

Why is that bad?

Because they're wasting time and energy on shit that won't move the needle. We already know Republicans are incapable of feeling shame, and Democrats don't need to be reminded that Republicans are massive hypocrites on this.

11 minutes ago, Jason said:

Because they're wasting time and energy on shit that won't move the needle. We already know Republicans are incapable of feeling shame, and Democrats don't need to be reminded that Republicans are massive hypocrites on this.

How do you know this to be true? Aren't they breaking donation records atm?

31 minutes ago, Chris- said:

There’s nothing wrong with pointing out the hypocrisy...That’s absolutely what they should be doing, and it would be grossly negligent to not score those easy points. What really matters is what (if anything) they do beyond that, and it’s still too early to tell. 

It’s just about the only thing senate Democrats can do at this point too 

i love shitting on dems more than anyone but when there isn’t even business on the floor of the senate to deal with it, or a nominee or anything, not much you can do at this point 

Pushing a narrative that is also based in fact that the GOP can’t be trusted to do what they say, even a mere 4 years later, is a worthwhile opening move in the weeks leading up to a big election and the confirmation process.

Getting the American people on board with whatever scheme each side cooks up. If the Dems are going to go the route of jamming up the senate calendar via the House impeaching, that presents a very real chance of backfiring in the election if they can’t get the public on board with it. Messaging matters a LOT right now.

28 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Pushing a narrative that is also based in fact that the GOP can’t be trusted to do what they say, even a mere 4 years later, is a worthwhile opening move in the weeks leading up to a big election and the confirmation process.

I don't think this especially matters until there's a critical mass reached that starts to affect the narratives on popular conservative media. It don't think it especially matters that overturning Roe isn't particularly popular in general, it's exceptionally popular with the most vocal contingent of the Republican party and its talking heads, both official and unofficial.

Is the GOP currently at risk for being pro life? Pro gun regulation? Pro taxing the rich? No, and the rest of what what Republicans so at the national level doesn't really matter. If this was a state or local election I'd agree, but here... does anyone really think that McConnell, Cruz, Collins, etc., are ever actually attempting to be anything other than malleable obstructionists? This is what many of them have recently campaigned on.

15 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Wait she did?

Oh no I’m Fake news sad!

image.jpg?ve=1&tl=1
WWW.FOXNEWS.COM

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi on Sunday would not rule out impeachment as an option to stop President Trump’s Supreme Court pick from being confirmed to the...

Don’t trust what I say sometimes

19 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I don’t want to think they’ll roll back contraception access any more than they already have, but I don’t feel completely safe. 

Because, yeah, I recall reading the dissent in Lawrence. Yikes. 

Amazes me how they can be anti-abortion and anti-contraception.  One of these things helps reduce the other...  But I really don't know how you could argue (with an attempt to change their minds) with someone about abortion if they firmly believe life starts at contraception.  This seems to be the root of their belief; people consider a zygote as a life with full rights.  They attach their full emotional weight to them; making it impossible to argue about context and circumstances.

1 hour ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Amazes me how they can be anti-abortion and anti-contraception.  One of these things helps reduce the other...  But I really don't know how you could argue (with an attempt to change their minds) with someone about abortion if they firmly believe life starts at contraception.  This seems to be the root of their belief; people consider a zygote as a life with full rights.  They attach their full emotional weight to them; making it impossible to argue about context and circumstances.

It does me too, then I remember Griswold v Connecticut was after the birth of my parents. It then took another seven years for the court to give the green light for unmarried people to use birth control. 

We are not that far removed from basic rights being granted and there are still plenty of people out there who want to control women’s bodies. 

39 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

It does me too, then I remember Griswold v Connecticut was after the birth of my parents. It then took another seven years for the court to give the green light for unmarried people to use birth control. 

We are not that far removed from basic rights being granted and there are still plenty of people out there who want to control women’s bodies. 

All of those Senators who wanted to postpone a nomination in 2016 are white men!

In general our representatives do not actually represent the diversity of our population.  Even more staggering is the fact that 6 of our Supreme Court Justices are (were) Catholic.  28% of our population should not be represented by 66% of the Supreme Court.

2 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

They think contraception is similar to abortion

16 minutes ago, SlipperySlope said:

My civics and AP government teacher in high school informed us how she stopped using BC because she found out it was basically abortion. She also kept a little sign on her desk that said marriage = one man + one woman.

This was the education I got in the early 2000s. Ugh.

34 minutes ago, SlipperySlope said:

Yep, and Catholics still hold onto most of that view, some more than others.

While they can claim that every potential life is worth fostering because it's God's Will, a more insidious interpretation of having as many children as possible is that doing so grows their own belief system, because those kids will be taught the same bullshit and then teach kids of their own that bullshit.  I honestly wouldn't be surprised if that is the true origin of this interpretation, because at some point in human history they needed to increase the population.

9 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Yep, and Catholics still hold onto most of that view, some more than others.

While they can claim that every potential life is worth fostering because it's God's Will, a more insidious interpretation of having as many children as possible is that doing so grows their own belief system, because those kids will be taught the same bullshit and then teach kids of their own that bullshit.  I honestly wouldn't be surprised if that is the true origin of this interpretation, because at some point in human history they needed to increase the population.

You've never heard of the Quiverfull movement? I.e. the Duggar family philosophy.