Senate confirms Justice Handmaid One

The recent episode of NPR’s Throughline talks about how employers used to explicitly say they would fire employees for voting the wrong way. This guy just puts a small gap in between. Gross.

16 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

A terrifying thought is that an ACB confirmed 6-3 scotus could easily say that the employer is well within it's free speech rights to do this

That boss should have his head separated from his shoulders and his skin tanned and turned into soccer balls for poor kids to kick around 

2 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

I guess when your body parts are becoming necrotic and falling off you become a bit wistful about your legacy.

I know the polls are bad for them, but he is talking like they already lost :lol:

I mean they essentially have.

Filling this seat and completing a generational reshaping of the courts was worth the electoral smack down they are on the precipice of receiving. It’s worth another bad cycle in 2024 too.

2 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Filling this seat and completing a generational reshaping of the courts was worth the electoral smack down they are on the precipice of receiving. It’s worth another bad cycle in 2024 too.

Yes—for Republicans, the war is already won; the battles ahead that the Dems prevail in mean comparatively little now.

6 minutes ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

Yes—for Republicans, the war is already won; the battles ahead that the Dems prevail in mean comparatively little now.

Unless they nut up and reform the courts that is

But I think Mitch knows they won't go through with it. He knows these people far better than we do!

28 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Unless they nut up and reform the courts that is

But I think Mitch knows they won't go through with it. He knows these people far better than we do!

Possibly, but I’m more pessimistic about court-packing as a strategy; I think the long-run effect would just be to destroy the judicial branch, once the Republicans inevitably return to power and retaliate.

The best we can hope for IMO is that the court now becomes a semi-permanent electoral motivator for the coming generation of progressives and center-lefties, at the state level especially, kind of how it became a semi-permanent motivator for conservatives and center-right neocons in the 70s.

Nothing motivates voting like having a court trample on you and reverse policy you voted for at the ballot box—it’s a fact that cuts both ways.

5 minutes ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

Possibly, but I’m more pessimistic about court-packing as a strategy; I think the long-run effect would just be to destroy the judicial branch, once the Republicans inevitably return to power and retaliate.

The best we can hope for IMO is that the court now becomes a semi-permanent electoral motivator for the coming generation of progressives and center-lefties, at the state level especially, kind of how it became a semi-permanent motivator for conservatives and center-right neocons in the 70s.

Nothing motivates voting like having a court trample on you and reverse policy you voted for at the ballot box—it’s a fact that cuts both ways.

You're wrong. Winning elections doesn't matter if Congress can't even pass any major laws (because SCOTUS overrules them on spurious reasoning). 

Who cares about motivation to vote if the courts are able and willing to overturn anything major you want? 

Republicans have already destroyed SCOTUS with this, the only option to preserve the will of the people (Congress and President) is to reform the court. The only way the republicans can change the court size again is if they win both halves of Congress and the presidency. 

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

You're wrong. Winning elections doesn't matter if Congress can't even pass any major laws (because SCOTUS overrules them on spurious reasoning). 

Who cares about motivation to vote if the courts are able and willing to overturn anything major you want? 

Republicans have already destroyed SCOTUS with this, the only option to preserve the will of the people (Congress and President) is to reform the court. The only way the republicans can change the court size again is if they win both halves of Congress and the presidency. 

Which they will eventually do.  They had all three as recently as 2007.

Think just one step ahead—let’s say the Dems pack the court in 2020.  Then in 2028, the GOP ends up with control of Congress and the presidency.  What do you think they’re going to do?

What the Dems did, only times ten.  Basically, one act of court-packing will beget another until the judiciary is more or less destroyed.

Maybe other reforms are more feasible—shorter term limits on judges or narrowing the court’s jurisdiction or something of that nature—but unless you think the Republicans will never control both houses and the presidency again, court-packing pretty much has one end-game.  I wish the case were otherwise, but I just don’t think it is.

6 minutes ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

Maybe other reforms are more feasible—shorter term limits on judges or narrowing the court’s jurisdiction or something of that nature—but unless you think the Republicans will never control all three houses again, court-packing pretty much has one end-game.  I wish the case were otherwise, but I just don’t think it is.

Doing nothing gets us to the same end game, just with fewer judges.

4 hours ago, sblfilms said:

The single-mindedness of their long-term strategy to achieve this goal is something to admired at the very least.

Packing has already been done, by Republicans.

Reforming the court, even if it results in an arms race to regular once a decade expansion (roughly how long it has taken over the past few decades for one party to hold the house, Senate, and presidency), is far preferable than 30 years of inaction on civil/voting rights and the climate.

And if you can't see the anti majoritarian ruling basis writing on the wall that the Republicans are *openly call for and actively working on right now* then I'm sorry you're a fucking moron. 

The Republicans aren't going to fight expansion with expansion. All they know how to do is exploit norms that their opponents have been too chicken to do anything about. Once that bubble bursts and dems finally do something that'll be that. The Republicans don't have popular support and they know it which is why they exploit norms to begin with.

4 hours ago, Anathema- said:

The Republicans aren't going to fight expansion with expansion. All they know how to do is exploit norms that their opponents have been too chicken to do anything about. Once that bubble bursts and dems finally do something that'll be that. The Republicans don't have popular support and they know it which is why they exploit norms to begin with.

🤣

you guys still have those pie in the sky dreams, huh?

the democrats will spend the next four years doing nothing to help anyone while telling them how happy they should be about it. Thats the democratic party.