Senate confirms Justice Handmaid One

14 minutes ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

I stand by my statement from a few weeks ago that this Court's (potential) rulings will be the catalyst for the (inevitable) dissolution of the United States as a political entity.

Thank Christ. I for one can’t wait to live in the United States of the Great Lakes Region of the Former United States of America.

36 minutes ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

I stand by my statement from a few weeks ago that this Court's (potential) rulings will be the catalyst for the (inevitable) dissolution of the United States as a political entity.

I can’t think of hardly anything that blue states would nullify like you keep claiming. Red states have far more SCOTUS rulings they would nullify if it came to that.

3 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I can’t think of hardly anything that blue states would nullify like you keep claiming. Red states have far more SCOTUS rulings they would nullify if it came to that.

Retaliatory non-recognition is perhaps where I'm thinking it will go.

Example: if a red state doesn't recognize the legitimacy of a same-sex marriage performed in a blue state after the overturn of Obergefell, then that blue state will not recognize marriages from that red state in retaliation.

29 minutes ago, Jason said:

2A rulings.

Unless blue states start doing the red state thing on abortion, that’s kinda over post Heller/McDonald though. Not much further they can go. I would think it’s more likely that a federal law passed by the Dems would get struck down than for blue states to push the issue. Certainly could be though.

36 minutes ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

Retaliatory non-recognition is perhaps where I'm thinking it will go.

Example: if a red state doesn't recognize the legitimacy of a same-sex marriage performed in a blue state after the overturn of Obergefell, then that blue state will not recognize marriages from that red state in retaliation.

Hmmm. I’ll have to think about this one a bit.

1 hour ago, SaysWho? said:

@Slug What do you make of all this

3 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Barrett loves gun rights. You love gun rights. I THINK that’s what @SaysWho?was tagging you about.

Oh.  I do like gun rights.  I guess...cool that she's for them?  Too bad she seems to be a goddamn horror show on everything else. :|

5 hours ago, Slug said:

Oh.  I do like gun rights.  I guess...cool that she's for them?  Too bad she seems to be a goddamn horror show on everything else. :|

I just haven't seen you on the CEB in a while, sans I think the marijuana thread. :p 

And I know Scalia dying had you kind of spooked years ago about the court's complexion, so I wanted to know what you were thinking about the Court's likely yank to the right. Your response is what I expected, but I got you to post a couple times here and not the sports board so success! :dancing2:

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

I just haven't seen you on the CEB in a while, sans I think the marijuana thread. :p 

And I know Scalia dying had you kind of spooked years ago about the court's complexion, so I wanted to know what you were thinking about the Court's likely yank to the right. Your response is what I expected, but I got you to post a couple times here and not the sports board so success! :dancing2:

He's more of a discord guy these days.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Gun reform isn’t happening anytime remotely soon, so I’m not that worried about it. 

I’m far more worried about civil rights, the environment, the destruction of our country, etc. Those are far more imminent. 

Yeah, now we kinda need the guns in case war breaks out.

6 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Gun reform isn’t happening anytime remotely soon, so I’m not that worried about it. 

I’m far more worried about civil rights, the environment, the destruction of our country, etc. Those are far more imminent. 

On one hand, the court has frustratingly decided to not take up any gun control cases in the last few years.  

On the other hand, we'll likely have a conservative 6-3 majority on the court in the next few weeks, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if we see new federal gun control legislation because the Dems will likely control both houses of Congress and the Presidency.

57 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

On one hand, the court has frustratingly decided to not take up any gun control cases in the last few years.  

On the other hand, we'll likely have a conservative 6-3 majority on the court in the next few weeks, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if we see new federal gun control legislation because the Dems will likely control both houses of Congress and the Presidency.

I doubt it.

Liberal groups have already avoided bringing cases to this court ever since Kavanaugh was confirmed.

All gun control legislation will do now is give SCOTUS the opportunity to legalize rocket launchers and tactical nukes or whatever.

3 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

I doubt it.

Liberal groups have already avoided bringing cases to this court ever since Kavanaugh was confirmed.

All gun control legislation will do now is give SCOTUS the opportunity to legalize rocket launchers and tactical nukes or whatever.

"The second amendment says you have the right to bear arms; we also call nuclear weapons treaties with Russia arms control treaties. Ergo, nuclear weapons(arms) are legal to own under the US constitution"

4 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

Here and elsewhere I tend not to post unless I think I'm adding something to the conversation.  And my political opinions being what they are, I generally feel that I'm represented...fairly well, by other folks' posts for the most part.  I generally won't jump in on a thread unless I think I have a different angle or insight that isn't being explored and that could bring value to the discussion.  I feel that it would just clutter things to jump in and circle-jerk with a bunch of people that already agree with me if I'm not bringing anything new to the table.

The frustrating thing for me, when it comes to political and current event discussion, is that it seems people who promote my shared opinions also tend to also voice support for positions that I'm firmly against and I'm wary about being associated with them.   I end up arguing against both "sides" of a conversation after assumptions are made about where I stand because of who/what I'm agreeing with on $thing and it's honestly tiring.  dreaming - Some day I'll find a political party/candidate/figure that I can fully support without any reservation :daydream:

4 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

He's more of a discord guy these days.

A bit, yeah.  Even in Discord though I only really post occasionally in one or two channels.  I'm not super active.  It's easier to be active there though, as I have discord up in a window on one of my many monitors and can see activity on the fly, versus refreshing a web page.

12 minutes ago, Slug said:

I feel that it would just clutter things to jump in and circle-jerk with a bunch of people that already agree with me if I'm not bringing anything new to the table.

You can jerk me off anytime. :batting:

In fact, if you buy Demon's Souls on PS5, we can do that while co-oping.

• Haha 1

Overturning the ACA will be the best thing to happen to the Democrats in decades.  It will give them the mandate to create a public option system at the least, and a single payer system at the most.   Not overturning the ACA would mean there will be no progress in American healthcare for years to come. 

10 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Overturning the ACA will be the best thing to happen to the Democrats in decades.  It will give them the mandate to create a public option system at the least, and a single payer system at the most.   Not overturning the ACA would mean there will be no progress in American healthcare for years to come. 

While I agree that it would potentially allow a greater, faster leap forward, it would also create an indeterminate period (years?) where millions of people have no coverage and suffer the consequences.

18 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

You folks ever consider that she and other conservatives think medicare (and the social security act generally) is unconstitutional?

No.  Because ruling those programs as unconstitutional would cause a tidal wave of old people opposition to the Republican party. 

• Haha 1