Senate confirms Justice Handmaid One

1 minute ago, marioandsonic said:

As opposed to treating them as disposable during a pandemic?

Fair enough.  But at some point, the GOP leadership (sans Trump) have to realize that pushing through unpopular legislation or championing the overturning of popular legislation is going to be their downfall. 

21 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

No.  Because ruling those programs as unconstitutional would cause a tidal wave of old people opposition to the Republican party. 

Right, but the point of stacking the courts with these goons is they can do the unpopular ideological hatchet jobs and Ted Cruz can keep his hands clean.

The voting rights act being gutted in shelby county v holder was not popular by any means--the reauthorization in 2006 was nearly unanimous. But it served a greater ideological purpose.

I was watching earlier and there was testimony from a doctor about why the ACA was important. He said something about leaders leading better, Feinstein asked him to explain what he meant.

Among the list of things was for political leaders to wear masks, and not be indoors in groups of more than 10...which he said to a group of senators who were all not wearing masks in a room with like 100 people in it 😂

34 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I was watching earlier and there was testimony from a doctor about why the ACA was important. He said something about leaders leading better, Feinstein asked him to explain what he meant.

Among the list of things was for political leaders to wear masks, and not be indoors in groups of more than 10...which he said to a group of senators who were all not wearing masks in a room with like 100 people in it 😂

beautiful scene

• Guillotine 3
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Slug said:

The frustrating thing for me, when it comes to political and current event discussion, is that it seems people who promote my shared opinions also tend to also voice support for positions that I'm firmly against and I'm wary about being associated with them. 

Tired: arguing political policy positions

Wired: arguing deeply held values

1 minute ago, Jason said:

Remember the Congressional pharmacist saying how there's multiple Senators getting Alzheimer's meds? 

It's not often that I agree on part with the dumb conservative Facebook shareables, but congress deserves to be drug tested and have that shit shared on the internet. We deserve to know!

18 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Don't blame me. I tried to vote Feinstein out. I tried to convince a gay guy I worked with to do it to but he claimed to be a "centrist" and said she was a pioneer or something so we have to keep her. :|

To be fair, if he's talking about the Old West the timelines do match up.

• Haha 6

52 minutes ago, Jason said:

Remember the Congressional pharmacist saying how there's multiple Senators getting Alzheimer's meds? 

I mean, statistically you look at the average age of the House and Senate, and the percentage of people over 60 living with dementia and Alzheimer's, and it's like oh shit, it bad.

14 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

I mean, statistically you look at the average age of the House and Senate, and the percentage of people over 60 living with dementia and Alzheimer's, and it's like oh shit, it bad.

It also means that there's a significant portion of our government that's just unelected handlers for people with dementia and Alzheimer's. And maybe they don't have the best moral compass if they're willing to keep up appearances for their own power. 

9 minutes ago, Dodger said:

Freeway extensions in California only seem to take 100-300 years to build. 

I believe it. The bridge I have to cross to get home is a temporary bridge that was first put up a little more than 30 years ago. Current promise is that it'll finally be replaced in the next ten years. Fingers crossed.