Senate confirms Justice Handmaid One

Yay, the court is now 2/3 filled with judges put in place by presidents who didn't win a majority of votes and approved by a congress that represents less than half of the country pushing an agenda supported by way less than half of the country...

USA USA USA

• Sad 2

34 minutes ago, ort said:

Yay, the court is now 2/3 filled with judges put in place by presidents who didn't win a majority of votes and approved by a congress that represents less than half of the country pushing an agenda supported by way less than half of the country...

USA USA USA

1/3 of the court is also alums from Bush's legal team during Bush v. Gore

1 minute ago, atom631 said:

What’s to stop them from withdrawing her nomination based on grounds that the republicans set in 2016? 

The Constitution.

I mean, let's be real: what grounds could they possibly have for attempting anything?  What makes her nomination/confirmation "illegitimate" in any way, shape, or form other than "norms"?

The answer is "absolutely nothing".

1 minute ago, atom631 said:

Maybe a dumb question - but let’s assume the Dems win all 3 branches. What’s to stop them from withdrawing her nomination based on grounds that the republicans set in 2016? 

She was confirmed. It’s over.

11 minutes ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

The Constitution.

I mean, let's be real: what grounds could they possibly have for attempting anything?  What makes her nomination/confirmation "illegitimate" in any way, shape, or form other than "norms"?

The answer is "absolutely nothing".

Because I said so is a good enough answer for me. 😏

so Trump has accomplished the mission the leader of the Republican party used him for (Moscow Mitch).. he ignored all “norms” and pushed Mitchs’ agenda to its goal.. Trump can lose the election for all they care since he can bare the blame for all this and the rest of Republicans can claim innocence and enjoy the new norm

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, 5timechamp said:

so Trump has accomplished the mission the leader of the Republican party used him for (Moscow Mitch).. he ignored all “norms” and pushed Mitchs’ agenda to its goal.. Trump can lose the election for all they care since he can bare the blame for all this and the rest of Republicans can claim innocence and enjoy yhr new norm

Mitch blamed the Dems for it. They will never bother blaming Trump for anything because Trump will one day be gone but the Democratic Party is here to stay.

58 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Biden likes the idea of cycling judges from the district courts to Supreme Court.  This is likely doable with simple legislation, and a lot less destructive than court packing.  

I do think that if abortion is straight-up made illegal by the court on the grounds of ‘protecting the unborn’s life’, you’re going to see support for court-packing and other ‘unorthodox’ forms of court reform go waaaay up.  I’ll probably end up being a lonely voice of dissent.

Although I do think something like scotus term limits would be a more doable and less destructive method of reform.  Maybe you could use the *threat* of court-packing to get something more incrementalist done.

I love the satisfaction of court packing, but can see the forest through the trees, and once Democrats do it, Republicans will do it and we’ll just end up in the same place we are now.

There needs to be substantial court reform. Fixed terms. Fixed seats appointed by Democrats and Republicans. And a small number of Justices are are voted on.

5 fixed Democratic appointed seats.

5 fixed Republican appointed seats.

3 seats that are voted on, by a national popular vote.

18 years term limit.