Senate confirms Justice Handmaid One

20 minutes ago, run32.dll said:

Abolish the existing Supreme Court and switch to a dialogic system with justices elected by the general public. Abolish the notion it's not a political instrument entirely and remove their ability to suppress law.

I believe you'd need a constitutional amendment for this kind of reform.

Though I guess it would depend on how it's handled in the Senate.

Remember the rule is: 

[The President] shall nominate, and by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate, shall appoint…Judges of the Supreme Court.

So I think something like this

5 fixed Democratic appointed seats.

5 fixed Republican appointed seats.

3 seats that are voted on, by a national popular vote.

18 years term limit.

...might be more doable without an amendment.  Much of it would have to be held together by formalizing the procedures the Senate uses in the 'advise and consent' process, though.

1 minute ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

Remember the rule is: 

...might be more doable without an amendment.  Much of it would have to be held together by formalizing the procedures the Senate uses in the 'advise and consent' process, though.

This is a dumb fucking idea, and one you'd never get any sign off from from Republicans so nice try

1 minute ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

Remember the rule is: 

Yes, it would be far from the easiest solution. However it would be a long term solution that addresses the issue of the Supreme Court not being this objective non-political entity and being a tool to force reactionary decisions against the wishes of the majority of Americans.

There are a few problems creating a law that says party X gets to appoint 5 justices, and party Y gets to appoint 5 justices:

1.  It codifies those two parties into law.  That would create a precedent for sure.

2.  What happens if one of those parties ceases to exist?  Parties have come and gone in the past - but this law would still give power to a party that is extinct or at least crippled.

3.  The remaining party in power would have no urgency in rewriting the law giving the new party any power in choosing Supreme Court Justices.

2 minutes ago, chakoo said:

If dems take back the senate, their first order should be to make PR & DC a state to make it harder for GOP to take back control then start working on untrumping the courts.

This is probably one the best things the Dems could do once they regain power.

Also repeal the apportionment act.  

1 minute ago, mclumber1 said:

There are a few problems creating a law that says party X gets to appoint 5 justices, and party Y gets to appoint 5 justices:

1.  It codifies those two parties into law.  That would create a precedent for sure.

2.  What happens if one of those parties ceases to exist?  Parties have come and gone in the past - but this law would still give power to a party that is extinct or at least crippled.

3.  The remaining party in power would have no urgency in rewriting the law giving the new party any power in choosing Supreme Court Justices.

What if one party is relegated to consistently winning 40% or less of the vote? Why should they have relatively equal say on the bench?

4 minutes ago, chakoo said:

If dems take back the senate, their first order should be to make PR & DC a state to make it harder for GOP to take back control then start working on untrumping the courts.

Lol can't do dc because reasons once it gets appealed to scotus. It always comes back to the courts. They're the ultimate power in our God awful system, they need be fixed before anything else can be

18 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

To be fair, those are good points.

12 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

What would it take to get PR statehood? I know they're voting on it this election. But what would the next step be?

An act of Congress and the willingness of PR