Family stricken with rare brain worms after eating undercooked bear

1 hour ago, Uaarkson said:

2024 is the year of the BRAIN WORMS

The year we found out how common they are...but when you think back and reflect on the last 16 or so years....theyyyy've been around more than we admit. 

Black bear meat is delicious, but definitely don’t undercook it. Trichinella is a regular occurrence in bears. 

Around here when you kill one, the game wardens take a tooth and a few other samples, and you receive a report in the mail to let you know if it had trichinella in its meat. Either way, I wouldn’t eat it if it was cooked below 165* internal temperature. Preferably smoked with applewood and reverse seared 🤤 

The owner of Meateater, Steve Rinella, also contracted Trichinosis many years ago while filming for his show and trying to cook in the rain . He was treated quickly because he knew about it beforehand and was able to tell his doctor immediately after becoming sick. It’s a dangerous disease. I remember he said the symptoms were crippling. 

Wild pork also can carry the parasite. Thankfully we seem to have eliminated from domestic pork, but I still wouldn’t cook pork under 160* internal. 

Thankfully ungulates do not carry it, so bo need to ruin a good steak by overcooking. 

Buffalo also can carry a disease that is dangerous for humans. Brucellosis. Buffalo is delicious, but definitely don’t eat it less than well done. I don’t know a ton about it, but I know it can apparently take years of treatment to get over. There are vaccines for it (for animals, not people) which is necessary in domestic herds of Bison. Low and slow. Bison ribs are probably the best ribs I ever had. So much marbled fat keeps them juicy right up to temperature.

Then we get into fish and mercury. I would eat a lot more fresh caught fish if not for mercury. I try not to eat it more than 4-5 times a month in the summer, but it’s hard when Brook and Rainbow trout are so delicious when they are fresh. 

Some food wants to kill you even when it’s dead, so cook it correctly and don’t over indulge. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I tried bear meat like 15 years ago and remember that it was greasy, gamey and not very good.

We've figured out the tastiest animals for the most part. And by figured out, I mean, we've spent hundreds of years selectively breeding them to make them more delicious.

• True 1
  • Halal 1

7 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

Black bear meat is delicious, but definitely don’t undercook it. Trichinella is a regular occurrence in bears. 

Around here when you kill one, the game wardens take a tooth and a few other samples, and you receive a report in the mail to let you know if it had trichinella in its meat. Either way, I wouldn’t eat it if it was cooked below 165* internal temperature. Preferably smoked with applewood and reverse seared 🤤 

The owner of Meateater, Steve Rinella, also contracted Trichinosis many years ago while filming for his show and trying to cook in the rain . He was treated quickly because he knew about it beforehand and was able to tell his doctor immediately after becoming sick. It’s a dangerous disease. I remember he said the symptoms were crippling. 

Wild pork also can carry the parasite. Thankfully we seem to have eliminated from domestic pork, but I still wouldn’t cook pork under 160* internal. 

Thankfully ungulates do not carry it, so bo need to ruin a good steak by overcooking. 

Buffalo also can carry a disease that is dangerous for humans. Brucellosis. Buffalo is delicious, but definitely don’t eat it less than well done. I don’t know a ton about it, but I know it can apparently take years of treatment to get over. There are vaccines for it (for animals, not people) which is necessary in domestic herds of Bison. Low and slow. Bison ribs are probably the best ribs I ever had. So much marbled fat keeps them juicy right up to temperature.

Then we get into fish and mercury. I would eat a lot more fresh caught fish if not for mercury. I try not to eat it more than 4-5 times a month in the summer, but it’s hard when Brook and Rainbow trout are so delicious when they are fresh. 

Some food wants to kill you even when it’s dead, so cook it correctly and don’t over indulge. 

Thank you.

7 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

Yeah, but how their butthole taste?

• True 1

1 hour ago, ort said:

I tried bear meat like 15 years ago and remember that it was greasy, gamey and not very good.

We've figured out the tastiest animals for the most part. And by figured out, I mean, we've spent hundreds of years selectively breeding them to make them more delicious.

venison doe

Meh, honestly not a big fan of venison. I mean, it's not horrible or anything... I will eat it if it is cooked for me... but I do not seek it out.

Bison is pretty good. Ostrich meat isn't bad. There are some outliers... but again... the classics really are the best.

5 minutes ago, ort said:

Meh, honestly not a big fan of venison. I mean, it's not horrible or anything... I will eat it if it is cooked for me... but I do not seek it out.

Bison is pretty good. Ostrich meat isn't bad. There are some outliers... but again... the classics really are the best.

Yeah, I think bison is pretty good, just a leaner beef, basically. But most other "exotic" meats don't really hold up in some way or another. Perfectly good for sustenance, but I'm not going out of my way to try most.

36 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Kangaroo is probably the best steak you can have. It blows venison, bison, filet mignon, etc, out of the water.

I don't know about that. Maybe it's just the place I had it, or the way it was cooked, but while it was good, I'd rather have beef. 

Crocodile was good though. Apparently it tastes different based on if it's farmed or hunted. If it's hunted it'll taste more like fish since that's mostly what wild ones eat, whereas if it's farmed it'll taste more like chicken since that's what they're fed. You are what you eat I guess. 

3 minutes ago, Brick said:

I don't know about that. Maybe it's just the place I had it, or the way it was cooked, but while it was good, I'd rather have beef. 

First mistake was not cooking it yourself. 

EDIT: I should also mention that the type of cut dramatically changes the quality for kangaroo. If you had tail or rump meat then most higher end steak (beef) cuts are better.

3 minutes ago, Brick said:

It was a fancy restaurant! I'd think a chef would know best. 

Depends on how often they cook it. Kangaroo steaks need to be cooked very specifically because there’s almost no fat. Something like 0.2g fat/ounce and 9.5-10.5g protein/ounce. The one time I actually ordered it at a restaurant it was tougher than it should have been.

But, anyway, check my edit: there are multiple cuts of kangaroo meat so the type of cut you had also matters greatly. :sun:

• Thanks 1

If anyone wanted to try ostrich or kangaroo, here’s where I usually buy from btw: 

WWW.FOSSILFARMS.COM

Fossil Farms provides the highest quality all natural meat, farm raised game & wild game meats in the country. Order online with us and get the same top quality meat and game that we supply to chefs in top...

I usually drive there to buy it, though, so the prices are slightly better :p 

• Halal 2

On 5/24/2024 at 2:49 PM, ort said:

Could have been badly cooked or in an area where they don’t get a lot of berries. Black bear is delicious. Brown bear is awful, mostly because of different diets. Black bears live on a lot of berries and grass. They eat meat opportunistically, and eat it fresh. Blueberry black bear (individual bears that live almost entirely on fields of blueberries, which they love) are one of the best wild meats. Even their belly fat turns bluish after a summer of grazing on them. 

Brown bear eat what ever they want, mostly meat and fish. They usually bury their kills to let them rot for a couple of days. It makes a vast difference in taste.

Fall bear is also much better than spring bear. 

It also comes down to if you enjoy game meat. 

• Guillotine 1
  • Halal 1

On 5/24/2024 at 5:44 PM, Spork3245 said:

If anyone wanted to try ostrich or kangaroo, here’s where I usually buy from btw: 

WWW.FOSSILFARMS.COM

Fossil Farms provides the highest quality all natural meat, farm raised game & wild game meats in the country. Order online with us and get the same top quality meat and game that we supply to chefs in top...

I usually drive there to buy it, though, so the prices are slightly better :p 

I’ve tried farm raised ‘roo, but never Ostrich. 

6 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

I’ve tried farm raised ‘roo

AFAIK all kangaroo meat is hunted. Ostrich farms are all over NJ, though (a friend of mine lives like 10 minutes from one. It was weird AF seeing Ostrich just walking around a fenced area off a backroad)