What's the appeal of Bluey?

No, really, what's the appeal? Why does everyone act like the show is as good as The Sopranos or Breaking Bad? I watched a few episodes, including Sleepytime, and it's just OK. I'm tired of people pretending the show is some masterpiece, and not just an above-average preschool cartoon.

Oh I’m a cult follower. I love that they keep the adult stuff in there but hidden from the kids. The Australian release is better because they admit to being hungover from new years celebrations (whale watching) Plus a ton of other little things, that you can youtube to see what changed for the US release.

They just did a 28min episode or something and everyone is sad, wondering if the show was ending because 

Spoiler

I haven’t seen yet, but nieces have spoiled that they are moving. With apparently even harder subject matters kids will go through like death.

Granny Mobile is probably our new favourite episode, and maybe it works better cause I can see my nieces/nephew acting this way. 

What's the appeal of SpongeBob SquarePants?

No, really, what's the appeal? Why does everyone act like the show is as good as The Sopranos or Breaking Bad? I watched a few episodes, including Band Geeks, and it's just OK. I'm tired of people pretending the show is some masterpiece, and not just an above-average preschool cartoon.

• Halal 1

I think it's just a time and place thing. The only people in my circle that rave about it have kids the right age for the show. My kids outgrew it for the most part and I haven't watched it at all. Might check out the new episode to see what everyone is raving about.

24 minutes ago, Bacon said:

What's the appeal of SpongeBob SquarePants?

No, really, what's the appeal? Why does everyone act like the show is as good as The Sopranos or Breaking Bad? I watched a few episodes, including Band Geeks, and it's just OK. I'm tired of people pretending the show is some masterpiece, and not just an above-average preschool cartoon.

You take that back. The first 3 seasons of Spongebob are masterpieces, with great animation, hilarious jokes, memorable characters, and excellent chemistry between the cast.

It's one of, if not the only, palatable kids show that doesn't shut away from now serious discussions. My kids are just the right age and the only other series I can think of that tackles real life situations as well as Bluey is Daniel Tiger, but Daniel Tiger is very much for small children, complete with little songs about how to use the toilet or count to ten.

Bluey is very much a series designed for children where parents can also sit in and enjoy themselves. There isn't enough content like that. Sure, my kids like SpongeBob and Amazing World of Gumball and I can sit there and enjoy those with them, but Bluey is the only one that'll actually somehow enrich them.

36 minutes ago, silentbob said:

They just did a 28min episode or something and everyone is sad, wondering if the show was ending because 

I was so disappointed in that special.

Spoiler

Disappointed that they pull a Simpsons and reset everything back to how it was before the episode.

A real shame because I really think they could have had some fun and interesting topics otherwise.

It's a quality kids show that doesn't treat kids like they're morons, has good messages, and is pretty funny. There is a sea of shit content out there for kids, like you would not believe just total garbage, so it's a breath of fresh air to get something that's enjoyable to watch for adults. Episodes are also a great length. I'm also very partial to Peppa Pig. 

There are also nods in Bluey to pretty dark themes, like they clearly allude to a miscarriage in one episode and it's pretty emotional. 

• Thanks 2

Watching now with the kiddo. It's a solid kids show, well made, actually funny even for adults, and doesn't treat kids like idiots. It's a kids show at the end of the day, so weird to compare it to the Sopranos, but struggling to think of another kids show of quality to compare it to.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Gavin King said:

Watching now with the kiddo. It's a solid kids show, well made, actually funny even for adults, and doesn't treat kids like idiots. It's a kids show at the end of the day, so weird to compare it to the Sopranos, but struggling to think of another kids show of quality to compare it to.

I can't really think of any. Storybots is the only other series that comes to mind that targets the same age groups and doesn't treat kids like idiots. However, it's also a very different kind of show and not a narrative fiction like Bluey. Storybots is more Magic School Bus for Gen Alpha.

There are other great animated series for that 5-10 age range. Just none that are aiming to teach kids something. I wouldn't put, say, Hilda in the same genre, but I would say it also does an equally good job of entertaining adults and children. Honestly, pretty sure my son and I enjoyed Hilda about equally.

3 hours ago, Slug said:

Caillou can die in a housefire.  Just a garbage show.  Whoever created Caillou should be taken out back and beaten.

I saw one episode where he throws a temper tantrum because he got the day wrong when they were supposed to the circus. I was like “who is this for?”

And then he abuses his baby sister!

If 

20 hours ago, CastletonSnob said:

No, really, what's the appeal? Why does everyone act like the show is as good as The Sopranos or Breaking Bad? I watched a few episodes, including Sleepytime, and it's just OK. I'm tired of people pretending the show is some masterpiece, and not just an above-average preschool cartoon.

Do you have kids?

I find it delightful. It touches on a lot of parenting issues with accuracy and smart humor. Compared to most of the 'kid's' cartoons out there, it's very refreshing, even if they don't talk about butts and farting.

I didn't used to care for Peppa Pig. Initially, I found it annoying AF, but it has grown on me, in a big way. Unlike Bluey, it's light on life lessons, but it is cute and unoffensive. (The kid's named one of their Guinea Pigs 'Peppa'.)

The Peppa Pig crew's 'Ben and Holly's Little Kingdom' is also a lot of fun. I prefer it over Peppa, but probably because it's newer and I haven't seen every episode 100 times. '... and we're elves! *blows horn*'

It's a bit more rambunctious, but Mighty Mike is pretty baller, too. The two main antagonists are 'Freddy' and 'Mercury', come on!

I have never seen a single episode of Bluey, but I'm pretty sure I get the appeal. A lot of kids programming is just really horrible and painful to watch, so any time there is a program that your kids love and you can tolerate or even enjoy it gets a ton of bonus good will. Then you forge positive shared memories with your children and the rest is history.

It's not that complicated.

• Halal 1

For my actual kid, Bluey is a really funny above average kids show. There’s lots of shows for really little kids with nice lessons(PBS shows) but less for the slightly older 4-8 age. But the reason that you hear so much hype for Bluey is that as a parent that show makes you feel absolutely seen. Im not sure if thats the correct way to describe it but thats what it feels like to me.  It hits on situations and feelings that are a little more intimate than the stereotypical parent problems stuff. Things you might not have realized other people are also experiencing. That’s the brilliance of the show. 

• Like 2