Biden to forgive $7.4 billion more in student loan debt for 277,000 borrowers

WWW.CNN.COM

The Biden administration said Friday that is using existing student loan forgiveness programs to cancel another round of student debt, totaling $7.4 billion for 277,000 borrowers.

“Republicans in 18 states want to prevent their own constituents from benefiting from the SAVE plan. They want to end SAVE, make their constituents’ payments go up and keep them under mountains of loan debt with no end in sight,” said White House press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre on a call with reporters Thursday.

Still, Biden has canceled more student loan debt than under any other president – mostly by using existing programs. His administration has made it easier for certain groups of borrowers – such as public-sector workers, including teachers; disabled borrowers; and people who were defrauded by for-profit colleges – to qualify for student loan debt forgiveness.

The Department of Education is also conducting a recount of past payments to fix administrative errors, bringing some people closer to debt relief.

Under President Joe Biden, the Department of Education has made it easier for some specific groups of borrowers, like public sector workers, to qualify for loan forgiveness. It also launched a new repayment plan that creates a shorter pathway to loan forgiveness for many low-income borrowers

• Hype 3

1 minute ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I paid off my loans the year after college, but I don't understand being angry about this.

It makes sense to me. If you aren’t someone getting the relief here this doesn’t benefit you and only helps out a bunch of other people that are struggling and some peoples politics are completely self involved with no care or empathy toward others.

15 minutes ago, stepee said:

It makes sense to me. If you aren’t someone getting the relief here this doesn’t benefit you and only helps out a bunch of other people that are struggling and some peoples politics personalities are completely self involved with no care or empathy toward others.

ftfy

There is certainly a fair emotional response to a situation that is unfair in a vacuum, that one group gets something while another group doesn’t. But in this particular instance it misses a larger issue that the system of higher education finance is itself unfair on a fundamental level.

Spending more time with kids who are trying their hardest to improve their lives through education as I walk with my own children through their college career, I have an even better sense of just how little the average person understands how to pay for college, or what the expected value of a particular degree will be.

How do you make rational economic decisions when so much is obfuscated, even more so when you are largely talking about 18-22 year olds who barely understand the basics of personal finance?

Getting a college education does not have to be prohibitively expensive, but it has been for many people through a combination of ignorance and predatory behavior. The federal government played a large part in making this system, they ought to do more to fix what they broke. 

Debt forgiveness shouldn’t be the end of the process, but it is one proper step to take.

• Like 2
  • Halal 4

6 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

but it has been for many people through a combination of ignorance and predatory behavior.

I always add cultural pressure to this mix. I cannot undersell how much it was ingrained into millennials that a college education was pretty much the only chance at success unless you were a freak. Thus: get a college education at any cost.

37 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

I always add cultural pressure to this mix. I cannot undersell how much it was ingrained into millennials that a college education was pretty much the only chance at success unless you were a freak. Thus: get a college education at any cost.

Yep, the options given were college or you’ll be working service jobs for the rest of your life. I was expected to go to college but got lucky enough to shortcut the whole situation.

57 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Unless it's changed fairly recently, having literally any college degree is correlated with significantly higher lifetime earnings compared to people without a 4 year degree. That doesn't warrant taking out massive loans to obtain nor justifies the continual inflation of the cost of said degree of course, but in general getting any degree is better than not having one even if we're talking solely economics and none of the other benefits of a college education.

4 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Unless it's changed fairly recently, having literally any college degree is correlated with significantly higher lifetime earnings compared to people without a 4 year degree. That doesn't warrant taking out massive loans to obtain nor justifies the continual inflation of the cost of said degree of course, but in general getting any degree is better than not having one even if we're talking solely economics and none of the other benefits of a college education.

Yes, but for Millennials the thought of being a plumber or whatever was looked down on, when in fact plumbers make damn good money. But you'd never know that growing up in the late 90s early 00s because they were trades not white collar jobs.

55 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I don't know the statistics, but there are simply FAR too many unemployed or underemployed people with college degrees to make it a rational decision for most young adults. The hiring criteria has changed entirely for most businesses compared to prior generations.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Reputator said:

I don't know the statistics, but there are simply FAR too many unemployed or underemployed people with college degrees to make it a rational decision for most young adults.

This is just not supported by the data at all.

2 hours ago, stepee said:

I’m not saying it’s a scam or anything but man I haven’t met anyone out of college with a computer science degree that knows how to do stuff on computers 

My husband majored in computer science and he's a cloud engineer. He's responsible for all the awesome tech in our house. :)

Just now, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

My husband majored in computer science and he's a cloud engineer. He's responsible for all the awesome tech in our house. :)

lol I’m sure there are of course some people who are talented and probably would be either way! Just a comment on seeing hiring practices in IT companies where they prioritize computer science majors over people with experience and then the person has no idea at all how to even work. Like, people hired for network engineer jobs that don’t know what a switch is despite their major. Lots of wasted time training people with no real talent to design or troubleshoot or do anything without direct instructions.  

• True 1

3 minutes ago, TUFKAK said:

My dad died of cancer therefore cancer shouldn’t be cured.

that’s how dumb it sounds.

“I would have smoked every day of my life if I knew they would cure cancer!”

Actual thing I would say in that case

3 hours ago, stepee said:

I’m not saying it’s a scam or anything but man I haven’t met anyone out of college with a computer science degree that knows how to do stuff on computers 

There was a valet where I worked who went to be like a computer tech for some company but I'm pretty sure he knew nothing about computers as well.

1 hour ago, stepee said:

lol I’m sure there are of course some people who are talented and probably would be either way! Just a comment on seeing hiring practices in IT companies where they prioritize computer science majors over people with experience and then the person has no idea at all how to even work. Like, people hired for network engineer jobs that don’t know what a switch is despite their major. Lots of wasted time training people with no real talent to design or troubleshoot or do anything without direct instructions.  

Not knowing what a switch is would be pretty bad, but more generally that's because computer science programs don't teach for IT jobs. Yes, computers are involved but computers are far too big a field to assume that because someone learned something about computers that they'll be well prepared for anything that involves them. If IT divisions are seeking computer scientists for IT then they're just being dumb. If you're going to be hiring from college for IT you should be looking for people with majors in information systems (or whatever the equivalent is for any given university)

• Halal 2

1 minute ago, legend said:

Not knowing what a switch is would be pretty bad, but more generally that's because computer science programs don't teach for IT jobs. Yes, computers are involved but computers are far too big a field to assume that because someone learned something about computers that they'll be well prepared for anything that involves them. If IT programs are seeking computer scientists for IT then they're just being dumb. If you're going to be hiring from college for IT you should be looking for people with majors in information systems (or whatever the equivalent is for any given university)

Oh trust me I agree it’s them* being very dumb!

* to be clear I mean the hiring company 

• Like 1

Just to agree with what legend said... I have both a bachelor's and master's in Computer Science and certainly don't know everything about IT, which of course is its own field... But I'd wager your average CS or IT person would be better at most of the other field's tasks than, say, your average English major just by virtue of the significant overlap of the fields of CS and IT. In fact immediately after finishing my master's I worked in IT for two years.

Similarly, now that I work for a major semiconductor company I had a much more gradual learning curve than, say, your average English major would have, but I'm still basically the only CS person on my immediate team; everyone else studied electrical engineering, circuit design, etc.  I'm learning something every day! 

• Like 1

I think the IT/Computer Science thing could depend on the generation/age of the individual too. Millennials grew up with a desktop computer for the most part, and had said computer while the “shift” into a computer/tech focus was occurring in society. Gen Z, on the other hand, seems to be surprisingly computer illiterate for the most part: the reason is allegedly because, while they had desktops and laptops, their tech growing up was more-so focused on the rise of smartphones and tablets. Most of Gen Z supposedly don’t even know how to get to individual folders/files on a desktop PC.

• Halal 1

5 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

IMost of Gen Z supposedly don’t even know how to get to individual folders/files on a desktop PC.

People in general either have very detailed folders where they organize everything or a desktop that is the digital equivalent of a million Hindenburgs. Anecdotally age makes absolutely no difference here. I will also say that over the last 5 - 10 years as things have moved to the cloud / Sharepoint / Google, it’s gotten much worse as a browser with more open tabs than there are stars in the night sky has become people’s de facto organization method.

• True 1