Biden to forgive $7.4 billion more in student loan debt for 277,000 borrowers

8 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

People in general either have very detailed folders where they organize everything or a desktop that is the digital equivalent of a million Hindenburgs. Anecdotally age makes absolutely no difference here. I will also say that over the last 5 - 10 years as things have moved to the cloud / Sharepoint / Google, it’s gotten much worse as a browser with more open tabs than there are stars in the night sky has become people’s de facto organization method.

WWW.LINKEDIN.COM

The new generation is often described as “tech-savvy.” But what does it really mean? In this article, I argue that this assumption is misleading and that the truth is more complex.

Gen Z is highly proficient with smartphones but often struggles with more traditional computing tasks. In my conversations with educators in higher education, many mentioned that their students were challenged with basic skills such as working with multiple browser windows or managing their emails. 

WWW.RACONTEUR.NET

Even though gen Z is the first to have been raised by the internet, its members are relatively poor at cybersecurity

WWW.THEATLANTIC.COM

Young people may be expert social-media and smartphone users, but many lack the digital skills they need for today’s jobs. How can we set them up for success?

27 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

it’s gotten much worse as a browser with more open tabs than there are stars in the night sky has become people’s de facto organization method.

I do not understand this mentality at all. Multiple windows for different tasks and you should have few enough tabs that you can identify what each is easily.

When people get the insane number of tabs, their ability to find what they're looking for is so slow that I can get what they were looking for faster with a google or a search on the appropriate site if its an internal thing.

22 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

WWW.LINKEDIN.COM

The new generation is often described as “tech-savvy.” But what does it really mean? In this article, I argue that this assumption is misleading and that the truth is more complex.

WWW.RACONTEUR.NET

Even though gen Z is the first to have been raised by the internet, its members are relatively poor at cybersecurity

WWW.THEATLANTIC.COM

Young people may be expert social-media and smartphone users, but many lack the digital skills they need for today’s jobs. How can we set them up for success?

These are all articles penned by people who think understanding the dominant technological paradigm of their youth is what makes one tech savvy. This is what every generation thinks about subsequent ones. What ends up happening is the tech doofus kids eventually become the managerial class and replace technology with what makes them comfortable, then the next generation comes along that grew up with a new paradigm and now they are the tech doofus kids who don’t have the right skills. Rinse and repeat.

Like, I guarantee some boomer manager threw their hands up in frustration when dealing with a young whippersnapper who did know how to use a word processor but didn’t know how to change the ribbon on a typewriter.

Those who grew up during the PC revolution needed to know more about the basic functionality mostly because the tech was kinda trash and didn’t work particularly well. Improvements in reliability and stability of both hardware and software has rendered many of the skills we learned less important today than even a decade ago. But people are slow to recognize the declining value of their own skillset and instead poo poo the kids for developing a different skill set relevant to the world they actually live in.

That being said, it is still highly frustrating working with gen z kids when something on a windows device isn’t working right and nothing makes me feel more like a grumpy old man.

34 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

These are all articles penned by people who think understanding the dominant technological paradigm of their youth is what makes one tech savvy. This is what every generation thinks about subsequent ones. What ends up happening is the tech doofus kids eventually become the managerial class and replace technology with what makes them comfortable, then the next generation comes along that grew up with a new paradigm and now they are the tech doofus kids who don’t have the right skills. Rinse and repeat.

Like, I guarantee some boomer manager threw their hands up in frustration when dealing with a young whippersnapper who did know how to use a word processor but didn’t know how to change the ribbon on a typewriter.

Those who grew up during the PC revolution needed to know more about the basic functionality mostly because the tech was kinda trash and didn’t work particularly well. Improvements in reliability and stability of both hardware and software has rendered many of the skills we learned less important today than even a decade ago. But people are slow to recognize the declining value of their own skillset and instead poo poo the kids for developing a different skill set relevant to the world they actually live in.

That being said, it is still highly frustrating working with gen z kids when something on a windows device isn’t working right and nothing makes me feel more like a grumpy old man.

I understand all this but my original post was in reference to desktop PCs specifically, and why they are struggling today, not the future which I agree will assuredly change to what Gen Z is comfortable with.

• Halal 1

Not all that dissimilar to articles you see where immigrants in this county are like “close the borders. Fuck those people. I got mine”.  

I find it fascinating that there is more outrage over student loan forgiveness than  the bullshit scam PPP loan forgiveness. I get it because people expect rich people to game the system so when they do it, who gives a fuck. 

20 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I understand all this but my original post was in reference to desktop PCs specifically, and why they are struggling today, not the future which I agree will assuredly change to what Gen Z is comfortable with.

Weirdly, even kids coming out of comp sci don't understand how file structures work, or common Windows/macOS functions. It's becoming a real problem in IT. On the other hand...great job security for people in IT.

• Shocked 1
  • True 1

16 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Gen Z has no concept of file systems and structure because they grew up with very robust universal search mechanisms. 

And I think that makes sense for most people...but it's like how most people didn't need to know how to fix cars after they'd been out for a while, but you'd still want mechanics to know stuff. Search has advanced a long way, but it only works if people use proper file names or meta data. Nothing beats the "I can't find the file. No, I don't know where I saved it. No, I don't remember the name or what was in it. But I need it now."

15 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Literally no reason not to if you qualify. 

Exactly.

I qualified. Was paying $25 a month for like two months then got the email saying my loans were forgiven. Got one of my friends, a nurse, to sign up, her monthly payments were ZERO.

10 hours ago, sblfilms said:

In general I’m sympathetic to that. However, I do think this is slightly more problematic in that phones are not replacing computers in the same way computers replaced type writers. Computers will continue to exist and serve many business etc. purposes that phones cannot. 

Phones can replace some things, (various mobile communication can replace email for example), but there are a lot of things it cannot replace. 

* I'll add the exception that tablets with a keyboard can do many of the things a computer can, including spreadsheets etc. But that's basically just moving the same computer tech onto a tablet physical form. If the new gen is fine with all that stuff, but just doesn't know windows/macos, then I think that's fine. But that's not the impression I was getting from the article.

• Halal 1

9 hours ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Gen Z has no concept of file systems and structure because they grew up with very robust universal search mechanisms. 

I’ve maintained for decades now that unless you need to know file structures because you’re an engineer or programmer, the kind of person who sleeps better at night when your digital life is just so, or a combination of both, that they desktop metaphor with folders is confusing and has little to no utility.

I’m broadly wired that way, in that I have digital rulebooks for every one of my billion board games stored on my Mac so I can just Spotlight search “line of sight” and the name of the game and get right to what I’m looking for. But even I gave up the organization fight for most things. Back in the say I had really detailed save folder structure for games that I backed up to floppy or CD, now I don’t even know which one of my SSDs my various launchers store their saves. If I’m that cavalier with save files for games I’ve invested hundreds of hours into, it makes total sense to me that someone has no fucking idea where that work PPTX file lives.

The issue Gen Z has with files/folders is not so much finding things they created and saved (like documents or media), it’s more-so finding things and accessing things that they installed or was installed by an outside source. ie: knowing how to find an .exe file and falling for malware installs (and not knowing how to remove them)

My 89 year old grandmother knew how to find word docs she saved. If you can’t do that you likely have some type of greater mental cognition issue that you should have checked out asap.