No more Tears of the Breathing Wild Kingdom

eventide11

Tears of the Kingdom is pretty much the perfect version. There’s no need to just repeat it over and over. They should do something new. 

But I’m guessing they don’t mean returning to OoT style either for those of you pining for that, and I don’t think they should either. 

• True 3

Ya know, I used to go to this one Italian restaurant and I'd get the chicken cacciatore, every time. One time, one of the servers that knew me as a regular, said to me, "You order the same thing every time you come in here. You should try something different for a change." I told them I try different things all the time, but I go there when I want chicken cacciatore.

Same goes with Zelda.

I'd be perfectly fine if they went back to the traditional LoZ style of adventure game. BotW and TotK wasn't it.

18 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

Ya know, I used to go to this one Italian restaurant and I'd get the chicken cacciatore, every time. One time, one of the servers that knew me as a regular, said to me, "You order the same thing every time you come in here. You should try something different for a change." I told them I try different things all the time, but I go there when I want chicken cacciatore.

Same goes with Zelda.

I'd be perfectly fine if they went back to the traditional LoZ style of adventure game. BotW and TotK wasn't it.

And similarly, the chef can decide if they don't want to make that anymore even if they potentially lose your business.

If a dev chooses to make something in the same style as something old, that's fine. But insisting that dev only regurgitate what's done is unhealthy for the industry. The number one thing gamers should push for is letting developers make the games they want to make.

• Like 1
  • True 3
  • Halal 1

4 hours ago, legend said:

And similarly, the chef can decide if they don't want to make that anymore even if they potentially lose your business.

If a dev chooses to make something in the same style as something old, that's fine. But insisting that dev only regurgitate what's done is unhealthy for the industry. The number one thing gamers should push for is letting developers make the games they want to make.

That is true. They won't mourn my loss, and I will find what I'm looking for elsewhere. I didn't say they MUST make it like the old Zeldas. I said I'd be fine with it if they did.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

I hope it's just a new setting that goes 10x harder in the direction BotW/ToTK goes in. I hope there's a grave with that says "Twilight Princess" that Link can piss on.

I can't imagine that happening without resorting to survival mechanics.  Or making the world 3x the size of ToTK.  Or something equally stupid/bad.

They already pushed the limits with ToTK.  Time to rein it in a bit IMO.  I'm super glad the building stuff is one and done, it's not something that needs to be iterated on further.

It's ironic that the Zelda team spent years trying to spice up the formula with new overworld ideas, transformations, weapon leveling, breakable shields, stealth kills, downplaying the dungeon items, angled swings, parries, stamina meters, etc.  It finally took until BoTW for many people to say it was beyond the pail.  That's precisely when all the critics said Zelda was cool again.

I kind of don't believe it when people say they want old-style 3D Zelda, when its hard to peg what that is exactly.  Twilight Princess is the game you get when Zelda is designed to be about the basics, but even it has its quirks.  Maybe everyone should be saying they want a Zelda like Majora again, or Wind Waker, etc.

• Like 1

I think it's difficult to read into exactly what he means. He says that he doesn't want to make a sequel to a sequel, not what form the next game will take. It could well be a BOTW/TOTK style game but without any continuity, new powers, new world, etc.

Personally, I really hope that they keep with the philosophy of powers that allow you to be creative to solve puzzles and approach situations. If they maintain that philosophy, I don't really care what the overall shape or story of the game ends up being.

2 hours ago, Derek said:

I think I speak for everyone when I say that we are ready for another side-scrolling Zelda game, much like The Adventures of Link!

I know you were joking, but I actually wouldn't be opposed to that. Would make for a great, smaller, quicker Zelda while we wait for the next big mainline. 

On 12/10/2023 at 11:22 PM, crispy4000 said:

I kind of don't believe it when people say they want old-style 3D Zelda, when its hard to peg what that is exactly.  Twilight Princess is the game you get when Zelda is designed to be about the basics, but even it has its quirks.  Maybe everyone should be saying they want a Zelda like Majora again, or Wind Waker, etc.

I think “we want old zelda” is a bigger way of saying we want “themed puzzle dungeons” and “dungeon specific items”

If you shrank BOTW and eliminated the  overworld and just focused the games on the town, local race, and divine beast/temples youd essentially have any of the old 3D zeldas (minus the empty ocean of wind waker)

My main gripe with those games is that the combat system was too simple (bosses insultingly simple).. once you solved the temple puzzles you were set.. In a sense you “play” those games in the same way you watch a good movie in that it always plays out the same way.

The combat and openness of BOTW is what set those games apart, it had a challenge curb you had to crest over. Hell give me Twilight Princess and OOT with the combat of BOTW/TOTK and call it a day

8 hours ago, 5timechamp said:

I think “we want old zelda” is a bigger way of saying we want “themed puzzle dungeons” and “dungeon specific items”

Bacon said the first Zelda that forgoes dungeon specific items is a 10/10, so excuse my skepticism. :p

If you shrank BOTW and eliminated the  overworld and just focused the games on the town, local race, and divine beast/temples youd essentially have any of the old 3D zeldas (minus the empty ocean of wind waker)

Not really, considering how scaled back the divine beasts were from normal Zelda dungeons.  TotK came a bit closer.  Plus I think a lot of the side quests in these two games are bad filler as opposed to more memorable secrets like you’d find in other Zelda towns.  Not to mention a lot of what makes BoTW/ToTK what they are revolves around Shrines for hearts/stamina, vs hidden heart containers.

I still enjoyed them a ton, but there’s no doubt that there’s some big shifts beyond just the scale of the world.

My main gripe with those games is that the combat system was too simple (bosses insultingly simple)..

Skyward Sword is a notable exception, and is probably the best 3D Zelda combat has been all said and done.

The combat and openness of BOTW is what set those games apart, it had a challenge curb you had to crest over. Hell give me Twilight Princess and OOT with the combat of BOTW/TOTK and call it a day

The only major hurdle, really, was learning to parry guardian lasers in BotW.  And perhaps Lynnel attacks, although it’s pretty easy just to avoid them.

I appreciated the challenge compared to other 3D Zeldas regardless, but i don’t hold the combat itself to high standards, outside of the flashy but needless ways to get creative with it.  All the attacks have this kind of slow heft to them, which works well enough with the physics, but isn’t to my liking.  I want them to change it up again a bit, especially after two games feeling the same.

10 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Coming from the same guy who said they can't have a female character in the game. Dude is out of touch.

Just do what they did in Skyward Sword and have Link in a crystal for like a billion years or something.

21 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Just do what they did in Skyward Sword and have Link in a crystal for like a billion years or something.

It seems like it ought to be easy. Something I appreciate about the new games, especially TotK, is just how awesome Zelda is. Link saves her in the end, but she goes way above and beyond to save him and everyone else in kind. She's powerful, important, and has significant agency. It's what makes the final moments of the game hit so hard for me and it's probably one of my favorite video game endings for emotional impact, even though it's simultaneously a very simple story with clear good and evil.

So given all that, a Zelda focused game seems like it ought to be easy.

• True 1

1 hour ago, legend said:

It seems like it ought to be easy. Something I appreciate about the new games, especially TotK, is just how awesome Zelda is. Link saves her in the end, but she goes way above and beyond to save him and everyone else in kind. She's powerful, important, and has significant agency. It's what makes the final moments of the game hit so hard for me and it's probably one of my favorite video game endings for emotional impact, even though it's simultaneously a very simple story with clear good and evil.

So given all that, a Zelda focused game seems like it ought to be easy.

This is all true. I go back and forth on how much I like her portrayal. She’s powerful and awesome, but her agency often boils down to her sidelining herself for most of the games. It’s much better then when she was a straight up damsel in distress of course so I can’t complain too much.

• True 1

23 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

This is all true. I go back and forth on how much I like her portrayal. She’s powerful and awesome, but her agency often boils down to her sidelining herself for most of the games. It’s much better then when she was a straight up damsel in distress of course so I can’t complain too much.

I see what you're saying, although I'm not sure I'd say she sidelined herself.

Spoiler

She was fighting Ganondorf in the past, recovered the sword, made a huge sacrifice, and still in dragon form helps you defeat dragon ganondorf. That is, she was still quite active and doing a lot of stuff. The game splits you, which is to your point: you don't get a lot of direct interaction with her and we only get glimpses of what she was doing, but her adventure was critical.

In BOTW, she's was out of commission for a 100 years, but so was Link. The memories we get of her in the past is her learning her powers and it's focused on her arc. The event in which she finally learns them is her stepping in to save Link, rather than the other way around. She then holds Ganon off for a 100 years while Link gets his beauty rest. When he returns, she's the one who defeats Ganon. Link just sets the stage for her.

So I agree "sidelined" in terms of the game interactions with her, but not sidelined within the story.