Worst endings in gaming (edited because other title was dumb)

eventide11

I really, really hated the ‘good’ ending in Life is Strange.

Spoiler

Look at us, we’re free spirited rebels/friends/lovers, fuck the rest of the world, go drown in the ocean for what we care.

I still really like the game, but these characters truly suck as human beings.  I’ve been hesitant to continue with the series because of it apparently being the canon ending.

10 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Heavy Rain was spectacular. What did you like about it?

Spoilers I guess...

Spoiler

The game gives you control of the killer and also the ability to hear his thoughts. Those thoughts are never about being the killer, despite the fact that for at least part of the time you're controlling him, they absolutely would be. The only reason his thoughts aren't about what he is clearly thinking about at that time is to trick the player. There is zero narrative reason for it to be like that, at no other point in the game do any other character's thoughts work like that; they're always a real representation of what that character is thinking. It's a complete cheat, legitimately one of the cheapest swerves in any narratively focused game I've ever played.

Aside from that, it's clear that the game was poorly cut and edited as there are several references to supernatural elements that ultimately go nowhere and mean nothing. They were originally intended to be a part of the plot. They cut the supernatural stuff but not the teases for it, so there are a bunch of things that don't make any sense within the story the game is telling.

But really, it's the fact that the killer is cheap that makes the game so fucking bad. It sucks.

• Like 1
  • Halal 1

4 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Spoilers I guess...

Hide contents

The game gives you control of the killer and also the ability to hear his thoughts. Those thoughts are never about being the killer, despite the fact that for at least part of the time you're controlling him, they absolutely would be. The only reason his thoughts aren't about what he is clearly thinking about at that time is to trick the player. There is zero narrative reason for it to be like that, at no other point in the game do any other character's thoughts work like that; they're always a real representation of what that character is thinking. It's a complete cheat, legitimately one of the cheapest swerves in any narratively focused game I've ever played.

Aside from that, it's clear that the game was poorly cut and edited as there are several references to supernatural elements that ultimately go nowhere and mean nothing. They were originally intended to be a part of the plot. They cut the supernatural stuff but not the teases for it, so there are a bunch of things that don't make any sense within the story the game is telling.

But really, it's the fact that the killer is cheap that makes the game so fucking bad. It sucks.

It's been a while since I last played it. Thanks for the clarification. 

1 hour ago, crispy4000 said:

Hide contents

Look at us, we’re free spirited rebels/friends/lovers, fuck the rest of the world, go drown in the ocean for what we care.

I still really like the game, but these characters truly suck as human beings.  I’ve been hesitant to continue with the series because of it apparently being the canon ending.

What? I always took that as the bad ending, because it's over in 5 seconds and the other ending gets like 5 times the length dedicated to it.

And I prefer the shorter ending.

Spoiler

Fuck your stupid time rules. Fuck your lame moral message about "what if bad thing happen even if you save friend." Fuck these idiots too dumb to leave when there is clearly something horrible happening. Let the stupid fucking town die and good riddance.

49 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I’m sensing a theme…

The ending of Indigo Prophecy was so bad I swore I'd never touch another game by David Cage. I haven't played any of his games in the nearly twenty years since and nothing I've read or been told makes me want to give him a second chance.

• Halal 1

45 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

The ending of Indigo Prophecy was so bad I swore I'd never touch another game by David Cage. I haven't played any of his games in the nearly twenty years since and nothing I've read or been told makes me want to give him a second chance.

But the necrophilia!

(not necessarily the ending but one of the turning points of when things started going downhill :p )

• Halal 1

The ending of Little Hope made me hate the game.

4 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

Reveal hidden contents

That's definitely not the intended ending, even if it was retroactively canonized. People are free to prefer whichever ending they do, but that ending sabotages the pretty clear themes of the game.

Spoiler

I'd be more down with the Bae ending if Chloe didn't very clearly tell Max to save the town. I have a hard time believing they'd remain close after Max makes that decision for her.

6 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

And I prefer the shorter ending.

Hide contents

Fuck your stupid time rules. Fuck your lame moral message about "what if bad thing happen even if you save friend." Fuck these idiots too dumb to leave when there is clearly something horrible happening. Let the stupid fucking town die and good riddance.

As strongly as you word it, it’s still a decision that sacrifices everything and everyone prior, because of two people feeling like the center of their world.  It romanticizes it.

Just think of them as two corrupt politicians in bed with each other, living their best life, because giving a shit about anyone else is hard.

4 hours ago, Moa said:

That's definitely not the intended ending, even if it was retroactively canonized. People are free to prefer whichever ending they do, but that ending sabotages the pretty clear themes of the game.

Spoiler
  Hide contents

I'd be more down with the Bae ending if Chloe didn't very clearly tell Max to save the town. I have a hard time believing they'd remain close after Max makes that decision for her.

Another good point, which the ending does nothing to address.  Not that they should have needed that moral compass.

I think it has to be the intended ending if it is canon though.

• eventide11 changed the title to Worst endings in gaming (edited because other title was dumb)
13 hours ago, eventide11 said:

For me it would have to be Karnov. 

Hours of frustration from cheap kills from crappy programming only to be 'rewarded' with 

While that’s definitely one of the worst endings in a game, Shinobi for Sega Master System is even worse simply saying ‘game over’ after defeating the final boss:

13 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

Reveal hidden contents

Life is Strange 2 and True Colors are their own standalone stories and characters not connected to the story and characters of the first game.

5 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Worst endings in video games? Every game that decided to sequel bait by ending on a cliff hanger without knowing if they would get a second game (and did not get a second game).

I agree, the most recent example of this for me was with King’s Bounty II that gives this message upon “finishing” the game:

To be continued... You completed this part of the story. Feel free to resume your adventures and complete the remaining side quests or just wander around Nostria as you wait for the story to continue.

The game came out back in 2021, and as far as I know there’s no DLC or sequel in development.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

As strongly as you word it, it’s still a decision that sacrifices everything and everyone prior, because of two people feeling like the center of their world.  It romanticizes it.

Just think of them as two corrupt politicians in bed with each other, living their best life, because giving a shit about anyone else is hard.

Spoiler

I think it's a decision that sacrifices the responsibility for the town, and the rejection of the morality tale seemingly randomly thrust on Max. I also just cannot overlook how everyone saw this clearly terrible thing coming and they all just sat around like helpless dipshits and it's up to Max to murder her best friend to keep them from going over the edge like cartoon lemmings.

To me, either ending is them being the "center of the world," or at least Max. Max, save all of us. Max, save your friend but we all die! How about you little shits see the giant tornado coming and the signs of something really bad for like a month and get the fuck outta town you idiots? I think that was the part that really sealed it for me. The way the town was destroyed was just presented in such a "we're all the dumbest people on earth" way made me think... you know what, natural disasters happen all the time. I'll take the miracle, thanks.

6 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Worst endings in video games? Every game that decided to sequel bait by ending on a cliff hanger without knowing if they would get a second game (and did not get a second game).

Advent Rising

Gladius

Too Human

Loved all 3 of those and would have been there day 1 for the sequels.

• Hugs 1

Getting tangential, I've coincidentally been watching a supercut of Joseph Anderson playing Life is Strange. It's a good time. I'm currently at the Act 5 twist in which Joe learns that "schmooze" is a real word.

16 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Literally everything about how Heavy Rain ends establishes it as one of the worst endings and worst games of all time.

Heavy Rain was so bad it almost turned my off of that whole genre. I haven't touched a David Gage game since. I LOVE the games from the Until Dawn guys though. I have the latest one but haven't started it yet. But Yeah Heavy Rain SUCKED and I actually liked Indigo Prophecy at the time it came out.

Lol that's how Heavy Rain made me feel. I know I own Detroit Become Human because of PS+ but I can't bring myself to boot it up. 

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, Moa said:

I’ve never played a David Cage and I know it’s very hot to shit on him, but I remember Heavy Rain being very well received at the time. 

I remember it as a very gripping experience. I played through it in one day and really loved it. And yet, pretty much every complaint that’s been leveled against it… I can’t argue.

Mass Effect 3 because it tainted my view on the rest of the series which I loved up until the last 5 minutes or so.

I will probably give them another shot in 4 if they go with the 

Spoiler

Destroy

ending but also 

Spoiler

Let you bring back the Geth and Edi and retcon that BS arbitrary false choice.

• True 3

1 minute ago, legend said:

Mass Effect 3 because it tainted my view on the rest of the series which I loved up until the last 5 minutes or so.

Reveal hidden contents

ending but also 

Reveal hidden contents

I ain't postin' in no spoilers, but I will be happy with the ending if Destroy is made canon. If you pretend the star child doesn't exist, you basically just spent an entire series where you have one end goal and you achieve it. The star child and the other endings just shouldn't exist imo.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, legend said:

Hide contents

Destroy

ending but also 

Hide contents

Let you bring back the Geth and Edi and retcon that BS arbitrary false choice.

Yeah ME3 ending was atrocious. iirc they had to include DLC to explain/try and make it better. Pretty much soured me on the whole series 

21 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Heavy Rain was so bad it almost turned my off of that whole genre. I haven't touched a David Gage game since. I LOVE the games from the Until Dawn guys though. I have the latest one but haven't started it yet. But Yeah Heavy Rain SUCKED and I actually liked Indigo Prophecy at the time it came out.

Until Dawn plays fair. If you make the best choices, you can figure out the backstory to the main story threads before they're revealed without having to trick you in a way that they're lying to you. I'm sure if it played like a Cage game,

Spoiler

you'd take control of Josh and he'd be worried about his friends due to the masked creeper.

12 minutes ago, eventide11 said:

Yeah ME3 ending was atrocious. iirc they had to include DLC to explain/try and make it better. Pretty much soured me on the whole series 

I was sour on it to the point I never beat me3 until the end of last year/start of this year. Now, I appreciate it a lot. I knew about the endings and started all the way from mass effect 1 knowing I'd be working towards the destroy ending. I think it really only falters in the last few minutes but when you are able to go into it with a plan like mine it was easy to overlook what made the ending so bad.

For me, it is the greatest video game trilogy to have ever been made. While all of your decisions don't matter for the ending, all of the choices you have made in me1 and 2 matter in me3's campaign. People expected your choices to define the ending, BioWare was the cause of that, but they didn't. They just impacted everything else and I'm OK with that all of these years later.

It does suck that it couldn't have been like that at the start. DLC often ends up having to fix something and it makes the base game a better product. Because I waited to beat it, I got the best experience I could have. It is a massive shame ME3 didn't release as it was now with all the DLC. Because I think ME3 is a good game. I don't think I would have felt that way if I had beaten it when it came out. I did play ME3 at launch. Then people beat the game, I saw the 3 endings, and just outright quit and didn't touch the series for 10 years.

• Halal 2

22 minutes ago, eventide11 said:

I never played the DLC because I was so annoyed :p But from my understanding it does a good job giving closure to the characters, but doesn't do anything to fix the incredibly stupid final choices.

Spoiler

I strongly suspect the only reason the destroy option arbitrarily also kills all Geth and Edi, the former of whom you just spent a trilogy brokering an allice, was to make destroy not the hands down most obviously best choice. Which is fucking stupid.

If they wanted to have some twist or something to the end they should have revealed a painful truth about why the Reapers were doing what they were doing that kinda had a point. The original intention of the story was going to be something like the mass effect technology slowly destroying the fabric of the galaxy so the Reapers were periodically purging advanced life to prevent it. Which would have been vastly more interesting conflict on which you would build future games.

• Like 1

On 7/1/2023 at 7:59 AM, Mercury33 said:

Bioshock

Bioshock Infinite. After blowing the bit with the race/class warfare themes in the core game, the end is an obsequious love letter to crawling up one's own ass in multiverse pedagoguery. And it's so dreadfully long it's basically a Kojima cutscene, without the charming brevity.

• Like 1
  • True 1