SCOTUS rules affirmative action is unconstitutional

The one "positive" from this ruling is that the court didn't explicitly mandate "race blind" admissions:

"...nothing in this opinion should be construed as prohibiting universities from considering an applicant's discussion of how race affected his or her life, be it through discrimination, inspiration, or otherwise. But, despite the dissent's assertion to the contrary, universities may not simply establish through application essays or other means the regime we hold unlawful today."

My understanding that this is the standard that's already being widely-used by admissions departments.

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

The one "positive" from this ruling is that the court didn't explicitly mandate "race blind" admissions:

My understanding that this is the standard that's already being widely-used by admissions departments.

Yeah, it's really weird in that they didn't seem to provide much guidance. It really seems like they just opened the door to more litigation rather than settling the issue one way or another. They say that race can be used, but seldomly and in specific ways not well articulated. They want everyone to use colorblind admissions, but they don't force it.

I just don't see how this ruling would do anything but embolden similar lawsuits.

If affirmative action violates the 14th Amendment then I struggle to understand how the general concept of college admissions does not, since it is all subjective and to a degree arbitrary (regardless of how much you try to quantify it with grades or test scores; who is the better candidate, 3.0 GPA with a 1500 SAT or a 4.0 GPA with a 1200 SAT?) 

19 minutes ago, Chris- said:

If affirmative action violates the 14th Amendment then I struggle to understand how the general concept of college admissions does not, since it is all subjective and to a degree arbitrary (regardless of how much you try to quantify it with grades or test scores; who is the better candidate, 3.0 GPA with a 1500 SAT or a 4.0 GPA with a 1200 SAT?) 

Answer to chuds

the cis Herero male white one!

38 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

dMVWXLk.png

From my understanding most officers come from ROTC, not the service academies. Seems like a complicating factor especially for those who join ROTC after already starting at a university. "They might join ROTC" could be an interesting loophole. 

8e945cb5e683071e96a81c7951f0c841.png
WWW.THEONION.COM

CAMBRIDGE, MA—In the wake of the 6-3 Supreme Court decision ending affirmative action, Harvard University announced Thursday that they would admit their first white student. “After nearly four centuries in existence, we are finally able to leave behind our woeful legacy of discrimination and accept our first student…

• Haha 7