GOP gains veto proof super majority in NC House after deep blue district Dem switches parties

00pol-north-carolina-1-bgtj-facebookJumb
WWW.NYTIMES.COM

The change in allegiances by a Democratic state representative gave Republicans narrow veto-proof majorities in both chambers of the legislature, allowing them to bypass Gov. Roy Cooper, a Democrat.

spacer.png

Her declaration infuriated fellow Democrats and sent shock waves through North Carolina. A reliable Democratic vote when she served in the House from 2007 to 2017, she once stood on the House floor and shared her experience of having an abortion, calling it “a deeply personal decision” and accusing Republican lawmakers of “wanting to play doctor.”

spacer.png

7 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Naturally, they're not wasting time:

6427670cda87d-media_62350f181177456ab5c1
WWW.WRAL.COM

Republicans in the North Carolina legislature have filed at least six bills this week that would impact transgender participation in high school sports and healthcare for transgender minors.

Republicans want to inspect the genitals of children. Sick shit. 

They should just make a rule where i’d you switch parties mid term that you lose your position and there is a special election to replace them. I’m more than fine with that cutting both ways.

I could definitely see this becoming a thing where republicans find people like this to run as democrat so they win either way and it snowballing to where then everyone is doing it and blaming each other of doing it even if they aren’t and it’s just a huge cluster fuck.

• Halal 2

4 minutes ago, stepee said:

They should just make a rule where i’d you switch parties mid term that you lose your position and there is a special election to replace them. I’m more than fine with that cutting both ways.

Sir, this is North Carolina. Legislature stripped the Governor of a ton of power when a Democrat got elected. I talked to a State Senator few weeks ago who said "if you didn't need a therapist when you got to this building, you will soon".

4 minutes ago, stepee said:

I could definitely see this becoming a thing where republicans find people like this to run as democrat so they win either way and it snowballing to where then everyone is doing it and blaming each other of doing it even if they aren’t and it’s just a huge cluster fuck.

What's crazy is she's not new to General Assembly, she was there prior for over a decade. I don't know how local parties are supposed to vet candidates better than her. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, ort said:

After I betrayed people's trust by lying to their faces for months and months and stealing their money by presenting myself in a deceitful and fraudulent way... now everyone is being mean to me... wah...

face crying GIF

This just seems so odd to me. As far as I can tell she's been pretty solidly a democrat for a long time. It's not as if she was Joe Manchin, taking a bunch of positions counter to the party. She was easily elected in a very blue district that I can't imagine she would be able to win as a Republican. If her goal was to move up to a state position of some kind, even if it is her change in voting that allows a bunch of GOP stuff to get through, I somehow doubt that she'd have a great chance as the former Democrat.

The only explanation that I've seen from her is about being bullied on Twitter and being told to what to do by the party, which I somehow doubt is going to be much different for a Republican.

I guess we'll see how she ends up voting on things, but if she starts voting along party lines then it would be pretty difficult to defend.

13 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

The only explanation that I've seen from her is about being bullied on Twitter and being told to what to do by the party, which I somehow doubt is going to be much different for a Republican.

I mean I feel like about half of the issues republicans have to work with right now boil down to “someone was mean to me online” which tracks with this lady

38 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

This just seems so odd to me. As far as I can tell she's been pretty solidly a democrat for a long time. It's not as if she was Joe Manchin, taking a bunch of positions counter to the party. She was easily elected in a very blue district that I can't imagine she would be able to win as a Republican. If her goal was to move up to a state position of some kind, even if it is her change in voting that allows a bunch of GOP stuff to get through, I somehow doubt that she'd have a great chance as the former Democrat.

I guess we'll see how she ends up voting on things, but if she starts voting along party lines then it would be pretty difficult to defend.

NC Republican Leadership is already hinting they'll try to gerrymander her district to help her. 

9 minutes ago, Jwheel86 said:

NC Republican Leadership is already hinting they'll try to gerrymander her district to help her. 

Ooo ya she got bought. They wouldn't be hinting at shyt they want to do and something that obviously an agreement would have had to cover for her to go along with the change in party.

It might in fact not be that rotten in fairness. She could have had an honest change of heart. One of my benefits of 4 years of therapy is that I noticed alot of problems are about not wanting to change your mind. To the point I'd find that the least likely explaination. People seem to just out right lack interspection. 

I'm very mentally flexible right now. I would legit apology to someone if I am wrong about something. To have a change of heart about issues like woman's rights and others would require mental gymnastics people don't actually do. 

• 3 months later...
On 4/5/2023 at 6:43 PM, Jason said:

lol yeah, nobody runs as a progressive and then flips to GOP five months in and says they're okay with abortion restrictions if it wasn't a setup from the start to steal the seat

00nat-cotham-01-fjmq-facebookJumbo.jpg
WWW.NYTIMES.COM

Tricia Cotham, a Democrat who supported abortion rights, was encouraged to run for a state House seat by powerful Republicans. After she was elected, she joined them and...

2 hours ago, Jason said:

00nat-cotham-01-fjmq-facebookJumbo.jpg
WWW.NYTIMES.COM

Tricia Cotham, a Democrat who supported abortion rights, was encouraged to run for a state House seat by powerful Republicans. After she was elected, she joined them and...

Ms. Cotham seemed to have embraced a me-versus-them mentality, said Jonathan Coby, her former campaign consultant. “She would say, ‘Oh, I don’t want to talk to that group, they’re out to get me; they don’t like me,’” Mr. Coby recalled.

This runs deep through that building.