Insider Gaming/Tom Henderson: Sony aiming for Holiday 2024 release for PS5 Pro, developing "remote play portable console" (not a "true" handheld device)

Q-lite.png
INSIDER-GAMING.COM

Following days of speculation, Insider Gaming can report that there's a new PlayStation Handheld in development.

Following days of speculation, Insider Gaming can report that there’s a new PlayStation Handheld in development.

Codenamed the Q Lite, the next PlayStation handheld is the next piece of Sony hardware that aims to be yet another piece of hardware that requires the PlayStation 5. Insider Gaming understands that the Q Lite is not a cloud-streaming device, but instead uses Remote Play with the PlayStation 5 – A feature the console giant has been pushing these past couple of weeks.

Sporting adaptive streaming up to 1080p and 60FPS, the new device will require constant connectivity to the internet.

As for the console’s physical features, early prototypes show the console will look a lot like a PlayStation 5 controller, but with a massive 8-inch LCD touchscreen in the center. The device sports adaptive triggers for haptic feedback and will include what you would come to expect from a handheld – Volume buttons, speakers, an audio input jack, etc.

It’s understood that the PlayStation 5 Pro is aiming for a holiday 2024 release.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Insider Gaming/Tom Henderson: Sony aiming for Holiday 2024 release for PS5 Pro, developing "remote play portable console" (not a "true" handheld device)
12 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Why not just release an app for this on steam? I know, I know, money/brand stuffs, but still. 

remote-play-keyart-01-ps5-ps4-en-06oct21
WWW.PLAYSTATION.COM

Stream your PS4 games to any compatible iOS or Android device, PC or Mac, PlayStation Vita or PS TV. Download the free app now.

• Shocked 1

It makes sense as designed specifically for the most premium ps5 remote play experience as this sounds like it will have the dualsense features and they can make sure the app is always working it’s best for the unit here.

The question is if they are going to improve the codec and streaming quality along with this release as it has a long way to go to be as nice as moonlight. If they can bring that kind of almost fully native feeling/looking experience I could see some people being really impressed. If it just looks like the same stream it does now it’s fine but not really something you’d want to buy a device for instead of just your phone here and there.

It doesn’t say it is and ur says “lcd” but even if it’s 60hz I’d be all over it either way if it supported pc and was oled with hdr, providing another device doesn’t beat it for that.

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

Why anyone would have faith that Sony would provide even medium term support for a device like this is beyond me.

Well they aren't actually making games for it so that's an "improvement" :lol: Not being an OLED screen and not having any offline play are two big mistakes. They probably could have put Vita hardware in here for very little cost so you could play digital Vita/PSP games when you are offline.

16 minutes ago, stepee said:

It makes sense as designed specifically for the most premium ps5 remote play experience as this sounds like it will have the dualsense features and they can make sure the app is always working it’s best for the unit here.

The question is if they are going to improve the codec and streaming quality along with this release as it has a long way to go to be as nice as moonlight. If they can bring that kind of almost fully native feeling/looking experience I could see some people being really impressed. If it just looks like the same stream it does now it’s fine but not really something you’d want to buy a device for instead of just your phone here and there.

It doesn’t say it is and ur says “lcd” but even if it’s 60hz I’d be all over it either way if it supported pc and was oled with hdr, providing another device doesn’t beat it for that.

I would consider it as a second controller but seeing that the DS Edge is $200, I can’t imagine this thing will be cheap. 

4 minutes ago, Brian said:

I would consider it as a second controller but seeing that the DS Edge is $200, I can’t imagine this thing will be cheap. 

Might be only like $250 though if they throw in a bog standard 8” 60hz lcd screen like the article makes it sounds like. I’m sure there’s plenty of leftover amazon fire displays or something they can buy and repurpose for like 20 cents each.

15 minutes ago, stepee said:

Might be only like $250 though if they throw in a bog standard 8” 60hz lcd screen like the article makes it sounds like. I’m sure there’s plenty of leftover amazon fire displays or something they can buy and repurpose for like 20 cents each.

At $250, I need OLED. 

I’m not sure who this is aimed at…chances are, if you have a PS5, you want to enjoy the whole experience, not a compromised version. The Steam Deck has a market due to the number, variety, and ease of accessing games, but this? I wait to see the purpose. Now a PS5 pro gives me a better timeframe to keep digging deep with my PS4 before I make the leap. 

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, eventide11 said:

For those that have one, Is a Steamdeck worth it? Better than a switch? I've been close to pulling the trigger on one for a while now 

It’s better than the switch as in it’s a generational leap tech wise over it, it’s probably close in power to what the Switch 2 will be (and I hope Im not being too optimistic there..). There’s a few current gen games you probably wouldn’t want to play to the deck (Forspoken, Jedi Survivor, Returnal) but it definitely plays far far more current gen games than Switch ever played last gen games, to put some perspective on that.

Not having full Windows as a reasonable option is a bit of a bummer, and the screen is quite lacking, with the color coverage being the biggest issue with it for me. The feel of the system and the trackpads are wonderful however. Steam OS is really nice on it and it does give it a sort of console like ease of use which is nice. I’d probably stick mostly with Steam OS if I could on a handheld, if it had Gamepass. Being able to lock at 40fps is really helpful compared to a system like switch that has to decide between 30 or 60.

Right now i’d definitely recommend the $400 model and using a sd card to anyone. If someone was willing to spend more, instead of a model with a ssd, I’d recommend the ROG Ally over it.

Switch 2 is likely to come out next year, if you are only planning to get one new handheld in the foreseeable future, could be worth waiting to see what that is.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

17 minutes ago, stepee said:

It’s better than the switch as in it’s a generational leap tech wise over it, it’s probably close in power to what the Switch 2 will be (and I hope Im not being too optimistic there..). There’s a few current gen games you probably wouldn’t want to play to the deck (Forspoken, Jedi Survivor, Returnal) but it definitely plays far far more current gen games than Switch ever played last gen games, to put some perspective on that.

Not having full Windows as a reasonable option is a bit of a bummer, and the screen is quite lacking, with the color coverage being the biggest issue with it for me. The feel of the system and the trackpads are wonderful however. Steam OS is really nice on it and it does give it a sort of console like ease of use which is nice. I’d probably stick mostly with Steam OS if I could on a handheld, if it had Gamepass. Being able to lock at 40fps is really helpful compared to a system like switch that has to decide between 30 or 60.

Right now i’d definitely recommend the $400 model and using a sd card to anyone. If someone was willing to spend more, instead of a model with a ssd, I’d recommend the ROG Ally over it.

Switch 2 is likely to come out next year, if you are only planning to get one new handheld in the foreseeable future, could be worth waiting to see what that is.

Thank you for the detailed response. I don't think I'll be able to hold out much longer

• Hype 1

5e8509d3e2d54b4004ca28d9bc004387ce0d8061
BLOG.PLAYSTATION.COM

Pulse Explore wireless earbuds and new Pulse Elite wireless headset revealed; features lossless, low latency audio using new PlayStation Link technology.

Disappointing design but the price seems decent for someone without a need for a full portable pc.

Im much more interested in the wireless earbuds with the easy device switching, low latency, and pc compatible usb adapter - you getting those @Biggie

On 5/27/2023 at 5:48 AM, Keyser_Soze said:

Lmao Laughter GIF

Let's see from the company that brought out PS VR for $600 bucks... A dualsense runs  you $70 minimum, so whatever junk they put in the middle plus the screen. I'm gonna say this will be $200 at the very least. (This also happens to be the same price of the DS EDGE)

Someone buy me a game for my accurate prediction!

1 hour ago, stepee said:
5e8509d3e2d54b4004ca28d9bc004387ce0d8061
BLOG.PLAYSTATION.COM

Pulse Explore wireless earbuds and new Pulse Elite wireless headset revealed; features lossless, low latency audio using new PlayStation Link technology.

Disappointing design but the price seems decent for someone without a need for a full portable pc.

Im much more interested in the wireless earbuds with the easy device switching, low latency, and pc compatible usb adapter - you getting those @Biggie

nah. I'm happy with my Apple's. But hats off to Sony making new things nobody fucking needs or wants.

• Haha 1
  • True 1

I am actually surprised that they're launching at a very reasonable $200. I can kind of see the use case for it, but at the same time I have an iPad that I could use for remote play and I never do. If I was already using remote play all the time this might tempt me, but I'm probably just holding out for Steam Deck v2.

52 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

I'd buy one for $200 if:

A) The streaming tech, like Wii U, is practically indistinguishable from native.

B) Hackers get it to work with PC.

man I know we have talked about this before but we have very different interpretations for indistinguishable from native - moonlight lan to lan (and lan to wireless is close) is indistinguishable - WiiU was close to moonlight with the great latency but it was a stream ass looking stream.