Insider Gaming/Tom Henderson: Sony aiming for Holiday 2024 release for PS5 Pro, developing "remote play portable console" (not a "true" handheld device)

22 minutes ago, Biggie said:

@stepee are the earbuds usable with the PS5 while playing multiplayer with a mic?

It’s not officially stated, but they mention being able to answer phone calls* on it so it has a microphone, so 99% the answer is yes.

*This is an interesting feature they describe - it can connect via the easy switching low latency direct link AND bluetooth at the same time. So you can be connected to your phone and play audio from it while hearing also the audio from the ps5. 

I love my airpod pros too, a lot. But I like them always ready to go for my phone and don’t like pairing them on different devices back and forth. 

Depending on how the device switching works, having one pair ready to go for all my game devices separate from my main phone air pod pros sounds sweet for $150

3 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

I'd buy one for $200 if:

A) The streaming tech, like Wii U, is practically indistinguishable from native.

B) Hackers get it to work with PC.

It seems like if done in close proximity the latency is unnoticeable because it uses the low latency tech in the hardware of both devices, but for me I dunno I can’t think of many cases where that’s anything other than sitting on the couch in front of my ps5 in which case I can just be playing my ps5. 

If it has decent range I might be able to do it from my room, but otherwise you swap over to Wifi and ymmv there. 

4 hours ago, stepee said:

man I know we have talked about this before but we have very different interpretations for indistinguishable from native - moonlight lan to lan (and lan to wireless is close) is indistinguishable - WiiU was close to moonlight with the great latency but it was a stream ass looking stream.

Wii U stream didn’t look poor quality to me for a 720p feed.  It’s more the screen itself being worse than the Switch’s that I take any issue with.

1 minute ago, crispy4000 said:

Wii U stream didn’t look poor quality to me for a 720p feed.  It’s more the screen itself being worse than the Switch’s that I take any issue with.

You know I do forget it was 480p (oy, what a choice) but the colors always seemed to have that washed out streaming quality even beyond what the wiiu pad was itself lacking 

7 hours ago, stepee said:

just saw this confirmed in the press release “dual microphones and AI-enhanced noise rejection capable of filtering background sounds.”

Ok but does that mean they are usable when playing online? Like Call of Duty and the Dualsense headset?

5 hours ago, Biggie said:

Ok but does that mean they are usable when playing online? Like Call of Duty and the Dualsense headset?

Yep! It actually means they are partially designed specifically for that. So you can talk shit online but they won’t hear Rescue Rangers on in the background.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
WWW.GAMESPOT.COM

The new gear is designed for the upcoming PlayStation Portal, but both are PS5-compatible, too.

Comes out Dec 6th - preorders up. I got the pulse explore buds, primarily for VR but these will be my dedicated gaming buds now.

Also that portal thing comes out next week.

• 1 month later...

So the pulse explore earbuds are out and I got mine. Reviews are quite mixed. Some of that I believe is due to some people not wearing it right due to its weird design (I’ve seen reviewers in their picture wearing them wrong) and some of that is due to valid limitations and what you get for the price.

I think most reviews, and I agree, say that the general sound quality is very good. I think it’s quite excellent. But they are limited in terms of bass, I would say the bass is quite lacking. You wouldn’t want these for music as a primary use. Apparently that is kind of expected for the type of driver these use but I do wish there was a little more oomph there. 

I have heard mixed things in regards to the 3D sound effect in reviews. This is where I think some people might be wearing them wrong. The 3D sound effect both on pc with atmos for headphones and on ps5 sounds fantastic to me. I think they do an awesome job for earphones, and it’s the thing I’m happiest about with them.

The biggest issue is that the sound volume is too low. I think i have reasonably sensitive hearing and it still is too low when paired with the ps5 or by default on pc. 

On pc, however, I was able to download a freeware eq program and manually adjust the volume beyond normal limits. And they still sound fantastic! I have them now to where unless I REALLY wanna feel the noise, I turn them down a little bit. By default and on ps5 even on max it’s not quite enough.

But with that fix in place I think they are quite fantastic for pc gaming. I set them up with dolby atmos for headphones and tried Avatar, Robocop, and Returnal and the 3D sound and overall quality is so good. Still wish there was more bass, but now that I have that eq program maybe I can even add a little more there but likely not much. Still, having earpods, that at least for me, feel quite light and comfy once I got the right tips in, with this kind of sound for gaming, I’m very happy with this use case.

They are still obviously a huge step up from the default psvr2 earpods it comes with, so I’m still reasonably happy with that other usage I bought them for. But I’m hoping since they can obviously handle being much louder while still retaining high quality sound, that Sony will be able to patch the volume either on ps5 side or with a firmware update on the earpods themselves.

The funny thing is, when paired with the Steam Deck or Switch they actually seem to be quite a bit louder by default! Both of those I was fine with how the volume was out of the gate. When paired with my phone (all using pslink, not bluetooth, btw) it did seem more on the quiet side like with the ps5, I would say about 20% or so quieter than the airpod 3’s after comparing those back and forth since I was too lazy to get up and grab my pro’s. 

But yeah, you end up with this weird kind of situation where the device these playstation earpods work worst on is..playstation.

The main reason I got these despite having airpods, is I like keeping those always paired to my phone and ready to go. I never bothered pairing them to anything else because I didn’t want to go back and forth. And the pslink, being able to plug and play in any device without having to pair again, or even bounce between multiple receivers, was a big selling point for me.

And in that regard I am also happy with them overall. I don’t have another pslink yet though I plan to order one tonight, but plugging the one I do have in and out between various devices (pc, steam, iphone, deck*) works seamlessly without any need to re-pair. It’s exactly what I wanted. Hopefully it’ll work as well too bouncing between them once I get another one.

*The one device that was a little different is the deck, which requires me to reboot it for them to work, but then they work wonderfully, with good volume as I mentioned above. But I am not knocking the pulse explore for this, as I’ve had other issues with the deck not recognizing or working properly when plugging a usb c device into it. I think there might be something I need to check in the bios or it’s some kind of bug. When I plug the pslink into my dock, then it does seamlessly pick up without me needing to reboot.

The only thing as far as the pslink itself that I’m down on is that it’s a usb A connection. I get why they do it, so you have a free usb c port for the psvr2. But I think it would have been better if it was usbc, as that will be basicialy every other device, and then it could have come with a usb-c to usb-A adapter. As it is, I bought some usb-A to usb-c adapters for like $5 off Amazon and it works fine. Not a big deal, but I feel they also could have made it smaller then, and you’d even be able to hold it in the case by plugging it in to the charge port.

I haven’t tried to use the mic yet nor have I tried the dual audio pairing with the phone playing music or being on a call while playing a game. The latter of which I do think is cool so I’ll update when I test that out. 

Other negatives I’d like to mention is that for some reason it has the worst packaging I’ve seen in the last decade. It’s almost impossible to not rip the box apart into literal shreds. Ive seen other people mention this so it isnt just me so I have no idea what happened here.

Also, I don’t think 5 hours of use, and ten hours of charging in the case, is very good especially considering that both the pods themselves and the case are larger than the airpods which last longer for both.

And also simply if they are going to charge $200 for these then they should have the ability for sound isolation like other similarly priced earpods.

Overall though I’m quite happy with them and I’d say they exceed my expectations. If they can fix the volume on the ps5 and the default volume on pc (not everyone will know how to fix that) then I’d even go as far as to recommend them for $200, so long as your use case is purely gaming. Though, without sound isolation and weak bass, I do feel $150 would make more sense.

• Sicko 1

So I’ve paired it via bluetooth with my phone now and all works as expected! Actually for some reason the sound seems louder on my phone via bluetooth than when I use the pslink on my phone. Sounds good, not as good as the pro’s but like the airpod 3’s kinda.

The dual audio thing is rad! Both sources play at once and both sound clear. I tested music while playing Killer Instinct and also a phone call with my Dad. He said on his end it sounded as clear as it normally does on my airpod pros, so the mic seems to be quality. 

This will be cool for playing my own stuff from Apple music with fighting and racing games.

6 hours ago, DarkStar189 said:

I preordered the Pulse Elite headset a few weeks ago. Sucks it’s not out till February.

Does that work using the pslink also? I have to say using these for a few days I really love them and pslink is a big part of it. I’m a huge fan of consistency and shit just working. Not having to re-pair, always being paired to the stick (or sticks) rather than the device has a kind of reliability and ease of use that I love.

I really like having this physical thing that I can just plug into any device and know I’m good to go for high quality wireless  3D capable suround sound. 

WWW.TOMSGUIDE.COM

Sony is copying Nvidia’s homework in the best way possible

Sony’s DLSS-alike solution system packs the potential to drastically improve frame rates by up to 50%. Much like Nvidia’s solution, it will use hardware accelerated machine learning to generate additional frames and increase smoothness. Taking that % increase into account, based on the 4K/60 that the current PS5 is capable of (in very select games of course), we could seriously see the PS5 Pro hit 120 fps.

• Shocked 1

20 minutes ago, stepee said:

Because native resolution is useless and a waste of resources if the upscale is dlss caliber. We could stay at 4k/60 all gen but you’ll basically just get games that look like last gen games at 4k/60.

And its still a waste of resources if a worse upscaller can still get a decent (if not perfect) 1440p or 4k resolve.

I have no problem with developers designing games with any halfway decent upscaller in mind.  But if they miss that target, it just looks bad.

• True 1