A large, high-altitude Chinese surveillance balloon is serenely floating its way across the CONUS

4 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

What did they shoot it down with?

1 minute ago, best3444 said:

This and where was it shot down?

There are twitter videos, it was shot down by a missile launched from an F-22. Callsign of fighter was "Frank," likely in reference to a WWI Ace that downed over a dozen German spy balloons.

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I can only imagine how much that Raptor pilot is gonna embellish the hell out of this story for the rest of his/her life :lol:

I believe someone on Era mentioned this technically is the first official air-to-air victory in the F-22's history.

• Haha 5

1 minute ago, ThreePi said:

I believe someone on Era mentioned this technically is the first official air-to-air victory in the F-22's history.

Hah!  I was trying to remember if Raptors had ever engaged in A2A combat before (they have been used in an A2G role in Syria/Iraq) and couldn't come up with anything at all!

51 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I can only imagine how much that Raptor pilot is gonna embellish the hell out of this story for the rest of his/her life :lol:

44 minutes ago, ThreePi said:

callsign: balloonboy

I'm breaking the rule again because I can't find this on Instagram and it's some incredible footage. 

Video of the shootdown:

It was shot down by an F-22 using an AIM-9X heat seeking missile (which can be cued via radar). 

Per Jim Sciutto (CNN), "US officials say they were able to block the balloon from gathering intel during its overflight of the US, while the US military was able to turn the tables, so to speak, to gather intel on the balloon itself and its equipment."

The F-22s tasked with shooting down the balloon were given the callsign FRANK as an homage to WW1 Lieutenant Frank Luke. He was credited with downing ten German balloons, gaining the nickname the "Arizona Balloon Buster."