Update: Japan's Ex-Prime Minister Shinzo Abe assassinated during a speech in Japan

21 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Japan has strict gun control laws, more proof that gun control doesn’t work. 

Also does anyone else smell toast?

Digging deeper into conspiracy theories here, if I had to find a way to expand support for revising the pacifist Japanese constitution so the country could expand its armed forces and become a bit more militarist, as Abe wanted to do, shooting him might be a start...

Some sleuths on Reddit think the shotgun may be homemade or 3d printed.  There is also speculation that the shells were homemade as well due to the amount of smoke created, which means it could have been black powder (easy to make at home) instead of the more common smokeless powder used in commercial ammunition.

9 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Some sleuths on Reddit think the shotgun may be homemade or 3d printed.  There is also speculation that the shells were homemade as well due to the amount of smoke created, which means it could have been black powder (easy to make at home) instead of the more common smokeless powder used in commercial ammunition.

:ceb:

• Halal 1

Horrible situation. I am actually surprised that assassinations are so relatively rare, especially in America with the easy gun access.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Update: Japan's Ex-Prime Minister Shinzo Abe assassinated during a speech in Japan
2 hours ago, LazyPiranha said:

I always assume that either the secret service is quietly very competent at their jobs or the average American is way too lazy.

I figure the Secret Service are pretty good at their job and most would be assassins aren't the brightest of bulbs.  So our Presidents are pretty safe.  Plots to shoot the little people at a parade, school, or shopping slip under the radar though.

Abe Shinzo's impact on Japanese politics has already been felt and will continue to be felt for decades. He's a militant nationalist right winger with ties to fascist societies.

It's still pretty wild that he was assassinated. It will be interesting to hear the assassin's motivations beyond "he was dissatisfied with Abe." 

This guy will hanged, I'm willing to bet.  Japan's death row is kinda creepy, because those who are sentenced to death do not know when they will actually be put to death.  The state keeps it a secret until right before it's done - the government doesn't even tell the family of the convicted until after they are dead, from what I understand.

1 hour ago, CayceG said:

Abe Shinzo's impact on Japanese politics has already been felt and will continue to be felt for decades. He's a militant nationalist right winger with ties to fascist societies.

It's still pretty wild that he was assassinated. It will be interesting to hear the assassin's motivations beyond "he was dissatisfied with Abe." 

Ya I'm not losing sleep over this. 

Also what are the chances the "regime" means China.