What should the new D1P "rules of engagement" with Twitter be?

5 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

“We are being censored!”, they scream from their social media feeds, and appearances on major news outlets, where they say all the things they want to say. This is a perfect example of how the right is sooooo much better at narrative building than the left.

The politicians are not actually being censored but were often banned from twitter and Facebook and etc for vaccine related misinformation or violence peddling in the aftermath of Jan 6. They see these things as permissible! And musk generally agrees with this assessment, just see his tweet after trump was removed from twitter due to Jan 6. 

Other minor conservative voices that do actually get banned only do so only after years of egregious rule breaking and trying to circumvent the bans. there’s only a few of those. But their existence feeds the paranoia. Facts don’t matter here but feelings do to a culture of grievance and persecution. 

I'm all for posting news directly over posting a tweet with a link to it. If the news is the tweet, then it should be allowed. Feels kinda silly to post a link to a news article that is just quoting the tweet.

That said, I do appreciate some terrible Twitter humor and it would suck if I can't post something actually humorous. By that, I mean, a joke. Like an actual joke that meant to be a joke, not a tweet from Musk that is a joke only by virtue of being written by Musk.

The only Twitter related thing I hate around here is posting direct links to terrible people's tweets. They don't need the engagement. If a terrible person posts something so terrible that it's newsworthy, it would probably be better to just quote a news article talking about it or a tweet from someone like Right Wing Watch that's covering it.

I rarely use Twitter and really don't go to Twitter for my news. But I do enjoy the "on the ground/up to the minute" reporting it can provide. Especially all the updates that users here have provided for the Ukraine crisis. Just about anything else though is super annoying. Every post starts with BREAKING: and it's some dumb bullshit. I don't need someone's sarcastic hot take disguised as news either. 

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

Let me introduce you to the concept of branding :p 

Where is all this moderation of speech? Ask anybody outside of your white straight guy experience about how Twitter moderation is going and you may be shocked to find out it is still mostly the Wild West.

Even for the blue check marks? Outside of illegal content or supporting illegal behavior, where is the moderation?

Anybody thinks Twitter is doing meaningful moderation probably believes The Onion was indeed banned from Twitter. 

I don't think twitter moderation is good. But given what Elon's understanding of what "free speech" is, I don't see any reason to expect that it would get anything other than worse if he owned the platform. The dude is a fucking dunderhead.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Kal-El814 said:

I don't think twitter moderation is good. But given what Elon's understanding of what "free speech" is, I don't see any reason to expect that it would get anything other than worse if he owned the platform. The dude is a fucking dunderhead.

“dunderhead” got me

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Kal-El814 said:

Now, certainly we could be wading into semantic waters with what terms like “grey area” means in Twitter moderation, but what Musk described sounds an awful lot like *exactly* what Twitter already is. The default is to leave tweets up, even things that seem pretty pointedly in violation of the “community standards”.

Why change anything, barely anything will be different and if he trolls everyone by unbanning Trump you idiots find ways to talk about whatever he's saying anyway. This is much ado about nothing. 

What if I told you all you people who go on about boycotting everything you don't agree with if you just voluntarily stopped posting twitter links going forward even though you technically still can, assuming Wade doesn't ban it. You know, you don't have to post twitter links. Though some of you just can't help yourselves. 

• Thanks 1

Personally, I don't see the big deal even if Elon ends up owning Twitter. It's not like Jack was some kind of great billionaire or CEO that we should all trust and like.

I'm fine with moderating posts that are just tweets, especially as the OP in a thread. As replies, I expect that tweets will still have utility for either jokes or just a reporters' take on a situation.

• True 1

4 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

1. Tweets that contain links to an actual news story will be prohibited, but rather the link to the news story itself should be posted instead.

100% agreed. @SaysWho? does this the best and I try to imitate him. Post the article. Create quote sections for the portions you want to highlight in your post.

2. Tweets that are one-off jokes/dunks/opinions, etc. will be prohibited.

I'd be fine with these being permitted in the Tripe thread.

3. Tweets that are one-off news items such as a picture or singular piece of information that's not necessarily "breaking news" will be prohibited.

A lot of the good stuff in the Russian v Ukraine thread would be prohibited under this. I don't know if we should do away with that entirely.

4. Tweets that represent actually breaking news stories that do not yet have an actual associated news article will be permitted.

Check.

5. Tweets that represent substantive multipart informational/analytical content will be permitted.

Check.

4 minutes ago, chakoo said:

It's pretty easy. The excessive posting of twitter makes this site hard to read on mobile so it going away will just improve the site's speed and readability on mobile. 

burn-them-all-fire.gif

Is this an android thing? I never have any issues reading twitter on here and only use mobile to visit.

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

Is this an android thing? I never have any issues reading twitter on here and only use mobile to visit.

I’m on iOS and find Twitter embeds get janked up on a fairly regular basis. When they work well, it’s fine

58 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Now, certainly we could be wading into semantic waters with what terms like “grey area” means in Twitter moderation, but what Musk described sounds an awful lot like *exactly* what Twitter already is. The default is to leave tweets up, even things that seem pretty pointedly in violation of the “community standards”.

I don't know how else to put it aside from the feeling that it seems like Elon has a perspective on free speech and moderation that's like Newgrounds in 1999. Social media has evolved to what it is, for better or for worse, and Elon is out there with takes that are the equivalent relevance and age to saying that racial relations would be better if everyone was "colorblind." We've moved beyond that that. We're not where we need to be be and it's not great, yes. But that's not a compelling reason to maintain old positions that have been battle attempted and discarded.

Also the guy had fired people from his companies that disagree with him, his working conditions suck ass, etc. There are reasons to think this sucks even if he buys the joint and changes nothing.

• Halal 1

I have an iPhone and use Dark theme. The tweets themselves won't load till on screen and in a dense thread it's constantly scrolling all over the place while trying to read if the newest post that you are reading are at the bottom. If you're reading post at the start of the page then it's less of an issue most of the time but not all the time (twitter can be slow sometimes).

• True 1

2 minutes ago, chakoo said:

I have an iPhone and use Dark theme. The tweets themselves won't load till on screen and in a dense thread it's constantly scrolling all over the place while trying to read if the newest post that you are reading are at the bottom. If you're reading post at the start of the page then it's less of an issue most of the time but not all the time (twitter can be slow sometimes).

oh ok that behavior is caused by them, I do think I’ve noticed that sometimes. honestly compared to how fucking horrible most sites run in general these days this site is such a luxury to me.