Did Nintendo leave the console market?

CastletonSnob

6 minutes ago, CastletonSnob said:

What do you mean?

You don't need to buy their console at all to enjoy their games.  You don't even really need a PC.

They make a console and they will always make a console I think in order to get the 30% cut they can and appease people that prefer their ecosystem, but owning an Xbox is completely optional and they give gamers the choice on how to consume their content.

Nintendo very much still has the core console business model, where you need their hardware to consume their content.  (Unless you play on Emulators)

• True 1

Nintendo is pretty much the most consistent for consoles. They just like pushing around the boundaries on what a system could be. Everyone goes for more power (and so does Nintendo) They just seem to focus more on how to make a fun and traditional gaming system to appease/ be access by all age groups. Reason why the Wii did so well, as they were thrown in senior homes for playing. Couldn’t say that about a Sony/Xbox system with no Wii Sports like game for all to enjoy. I will say Microsoft is at least making great strides for the accessibility for all disabled body games and colour blind folks too

On 4/7/2022 at 9:22 PM, Dre801 said:

They're doing their own thing.  I don't do the handheld thing, so I don't care about Switch.  It shines as a handheld, not so much as a device hooked up to a TV; you can get superior experiences with the other two in that regard.

I’ve found myself caring less and less about playing portably, but it hasn’t changed my outlook on the Switch at all.  So many games, even Nintendo’s own, look more vibrant on a TV to me.  Give me those extra p’s.  I prefer it that way most often, even if poor AA is more apparent.  The only time I’ll play handheld is when a game is poorly optimized and actually runs better portably.  Or is just a better portable experience to dip in and out of (like Slay the Spire or Hades).

The other consoles do it one better with fidelity, of course.  Can’t play Nintendo’s new games on them though, on a TV or otherwise.  Games like BoTW2, Xenoblade 3 and MP4 top my most anticipated list.  I’ll be wanting to play them in whatever ‘superior’ resolution Nintendo offers them in.

In many ways, this echoes my experience with the Wii.  Some games like Xenoblade 1 and Galaxy 2 stick in my mind much more than the Uncharted's and such from that same generation.  Ultimately, there’s nothing truly wrong with visuals a generation behind when we’ve been enjoying games for generations.  If it’s well optimized for the hardware, that’s enough for me.  I’ll still want it to look its best though.

9 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

No. They very clearly still make a console. 

Right? Just because they found a way to make a device that can do two different form factors doesn't mean they've left the console. Hell, just looking at the Merrian-Webstar definition of a console clearly states this:

"5 : an electronic system that connects to a display (such as a television set) and is used primarily to play video games "

Yup. Looks like the Switch fits that definition perfectly.

13 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

No. They very clearly still make a console. 

3 hours ago, imthesoldier said:

Right? Just because they found a way to make a device that can do two different form factors doesn't mean they've left the console. Hell, just looking at the Merrian-Webstar definition of a console clearly states this:

"5 : an electronic system that connects to a display (such as a television set) and is used primarily to play video games "

Yup. Looks like the Switch fits that definition perfectly.

Eh. I dunno. The Switch by itself is a handheld. The fact that there is an accessory/peripheral that allows it to display on a monitor or TV set is just an extra feature. The dock by itself can't play any games. But the Switch by itself? Can play ANY game.

The dock isn't a console. The Switch isn't a console. It's a handheld that just so happens to be able to project it's display on a different screen. With extra hardware.

There is no difference between strictly connected to a tv or portable 

"A video game console is an electronic device that outputs a video signal or image to display a video game that can be played with a game controller. These may be home consoles which are generally placed in a permanent location connected to a television or other display device and controlled with a separate game controller, or handheld consoles that include their own display unit and controller functions built into the unit and can be played anywhere. Hybrid consoles combine elements of both home and handheld consoles."

Whats the best selling CONSOLE of 2021 ?

switch.jpg
WWW.GAMEINFORMER.COM

Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl was the best-selling game on Switch this year.

nswitch1280-2jpg-fe1df0_160w.jpg?width=1
WWW.IGN.COM

With over 100 million units sold to date, Nintendo Switch continues to climb the all-time list of best-selling consoles.

Bunch a fuckin nerds

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Even Nintendo themselves consider it a console. I remember years ago they were surprised about how many people used it handheld.

Now they've kind of muddied the water since because they brought out the lite and the OLED which offer not benefit to playing it on a TV but it was always meant to be a console first.

3 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Even Nintendo themselves consider it a console. I remember years ago they were surprised about how many people used it handheld.

Now they've kind of muddied the water since because they brought out the lite and the OLED which offer not benefit to playing it on a TV but it was always meant to be a console first.

Interestingly, I always wondered why they never considered a "docked" only Switch, considering they already have a "portable" only console of the Switch. And I do believe Nintendo said portable vs. docked is about 50/50. For the OLED model, I'm sure that's a bit higher given the type of screen used.

5 hours ago, GameDadGrant said:

Because it's NOT a console. It's a portable, handheld system first and foremost. End of story.

The SWITCH is a handheld system that has the capability to be played on a television set if you want to. Grant is spot on. I don’t think anyone considers it a home console that can be portable. 

3 hours ago, Biggie said:

The SWITCH is a handheld system that has the capability to be played on a television set if you want to. Grant is spot on. I don’t think anyone considers it a home console that can be portable. 

With how I use it, I do.  It’s the console I can also play on the go, if I’m okay with a hit to performance/visuals (in many cases). 

The Deck is much more of what you describe to me.  Games won’t run any better if you hook it up to a screen.  And portable make-good features, like FSR, are actively a bad idea to flip on if you do.

I get and accept the path they've chosen with their hardware, but I think sometimes about how awesome it would be if they built a standard console with the power of PS5/Series X, but alas, the days of them trying to compete at that level are over and they are better off since the Switch just sells and sells.

• True 1

12 hours ago, Dre801 said:

I get and accept the path they've chosen with their hardware, but I think sometimes about how awesome it would be if they built a standard console with the power of PS5/Series X, but alas, the days of them trying to compete at that level are over and they are better off since the Switch just sells and sells.

I kind of care, I kind of don’t.  I wish they weren’t so far behind in the resolution game, but I also wouldn’t really want a Nintendo console that costs as much as a Series X or PS5.

I’d like for their next console (hybrid) to match Series S.  That way, they can benefit from one another with optimization work.