Pedo guy megalomaniacal manchild officially owns Twitter

30 minutes ago, LazyPiranha said:

It is truly staggering the degree to which one fucking moron decided to buy a brand new car and drive it off a cliff and many others only took away the lesson that it looked sick as hell and that they should do it too.  

That's the lesson DeSantis took from Trump.

24 minutes ago, chakoo said:

As much as everybody hates Meta, I sadly think they have the best shot at being a decent twitter replacement. It will be interesting to see how the launch goes.

I know Meta has a pretty strict policy on alts for Facebook, gonna be pretty fucking annoying if that extends to their Twitter replacement. 

4 minutes ago, Jason said:

I know Meta has a pretty strict policy on alts for Facebook, gonna be pretty fucking annoying if that extends to their Twitter replacement. 

Not every platform needs to be an alt fest. I wouldn't want that twitter functionality to go away but Facebook has enough issues without deciding to adopt more of them.

4 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Not every platform needs to be an alt fest. I wouldn't want that twitter functionality to go away but Facebook has enough issues without deciding to adopt more of them.

The point is just I very specifically don't post on Twitter under my real identity so it'd be annoying if they're going to make you post on this Twitter replacement using your Facebook account and ban you for making a new identity for this new site. I'd be less bothered if they do let you make a separate account/identity but just keep you from making multiple accounts on this new service. 

3 minutes ago, Jason said:

The point is just I very specifically don't post on Twitter under my real identity so it'd be annoying if they're going to make you post on this Twitter replacement using your Facebook account and ban you for making a new identity for this new site. I'd be less bothered if they do let you make a separate account/identity but just keep you from making multiple accounts on this new service. 

That's how I use twitter too, by and large. 

In the grand scheme of things I don't know that anonymity on the internet has been... good? I go back and forth on it.

Just now, Kal-El814 said:

That's how I use twitter too, by and large. 

In the grand scheme of things I don't know that anonymity on the internet has been... good? I go back and forth on it.

Given the shit people post on NextDoor and Facebook with their real names and pictures attached, the idea that people will behave better online if you make them use their real identities has been thoroughly debunked. 

• True 1

1 minute ago, Jason said:

Given the shit people post on NextDoor and Facebook with their real names and pictures attached, the idea that people will behave better online if you make them use their real identities has been thoroughly debunked. 

This is true but I'm not sure it's relevant.

8 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

This is true but I'm not sure it's relevant.

I'm not sure I follow on what other reason you have for caring about letting people posting from anonymous accounts if it's not that.

6 minutes ago, Jason said:

I'm not sure I follow on what other reason you have for caring about letting people posting from anonymous accounts if it's not that.

Some people don't have any issues snitching on themselves but there are also many people who do and say things solely because they're confident they can do so anonymously.

28 minutes ago, Jason said:

Yeah not happening. This is built on some of the existing infrastructure for Instagram.

1 hour ago, chakoo said:

As much as everybody hates Meta, I sadly think they have the best shot at being a decent twitter replacement. It will be interesting to see how the launch goes.

It already tried to become that a long time ago. The format of the posts changed to a twitter like structure which didn't fit facebook imo.

9 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

It already tried to become that a long time ago. The format of the posts changed to a twitter like structure which didn't fit facebook imo.

Meta is nothing but a sea of not just failed products but bad execution or due diligence that leads to failed products. Having worked for a brief time on portal and a canceled project I know. :) Yet what I feel makes right now different is everybody is looking for a twitter alternative to bail to and the recent alternatives haven't really taken off with the mainstream.

• Hugs 1

7 minutes ago, chakoo said:

Seems threads bumped up their launch to tonight at 7pm ET. I'm a little surprised at some of the excitement i'm seeing for this. :silly:

I'm excited because I want something to be like old Twitter where I could read news and know who was verified or not without walking through a minefield of Elon worshippers first.

Something about getting a bunch of poor chuds to somehow worship the richest man in the world, of all people, on the basis of him being a crusader for free speech and then him actually falling for it himself and going through all of this is so good honestly. I’m just a huge fan of the entire thing.

31 minutes ago, stepee said:

Something about getting a bunch of poor chuds to somehow worship the richest man in the world, of all people, on the basis of him being a crusader for free speech and then him actually falling for it himself and going through all of this is so good honestly. I’m just a huge fan of the entire thing.

He freed them from the chains of n wordless Twitter.