Pedo guy megalomaniacal manchild officially owns Twitter

FORTUNE.COM

One problem for Elon Musk: He’s called copyright a “plague on humanity.”

The National Music Publishers’ Association (NMPA) is representing the coalition in the suit, which claims that publishers sent copyright violation notices for 1,700 songs, on which the social network took no action. The coalition is seeking fines of up to $150,000 per violation.

“Twitter has engaged in, knowingly facilitated, and profited from copyright infringement, at the expense of music creators, to whom Twitter pays nothing,” the plaintiffs allege.

• Sicko 2

2 hours ago, PaladinSolo said:
FORTUNE.COM

One problem for Elon Musk: He’s called copyright a “plague on humanity.”

The National Music Publishers’ Association (NMPA) is representing the coalition in the suit, which claims that publishers sent copyright violation notices for 1,700 songs, on which the social network took no action. The coalition is seeking fines of up to $150,000 per violation.

“Twitter has engaged in, knowingly facilitated, and profited from copyright infringement, at the expense of music creators, to whom Twitter pays nothing,” the plaintiffs allege.

Ehhhh I would bet money (specifically 150k x 1700) that this is some bullshit solely because of who’s making the claim. I mean I’m sure legally it’s NOT some bullshit but the NMPA spends most of its time going after kids on YouTube trying to learn a song and the like. 

37 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Ehhhh I would bet money (specifically 150k x 1700) that this is some bullshit solely because of who’s making the claim. I mean I’m sure legally it’s NOT some bullshit but the NMPA spends most of its time going after kids on YouTube trying to learn a song and the like. 

In this case, it seems more likely they're upset that Twitter has been ignoring DMCA takedowns. Twitter has already been sued a few times since Musk took over for failing to act on legitimate DMCA requests.

29 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

In this case, it seems more likely they're upset that Twitter has been ignoring DMCA takedowns. Twitter has already been sued a few times since Musk took over for failing to act on legitimate DMCA requests.

Well that’s where my “legally it’s not some bullshit” statement comes in. But it is bullshit. So many DMCA takedowns are petty dumb nonsense so some dude at a computer can meet a quota of takedowns. Many don’t even meet the standard but a Google or a Twitter aren’t going to stick up for some guy teaching music theory with 5 subs over the claim of a

group representing several major labels. 

5 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

DMCA is a broken and shitty system. I'll have to side with Twitter on this one.

I think this is more of a "we cut the position of the person/people that did that work." and not "DMCA is bullshit" on Twatters side. 

1 minute ago, Jason said:

Is there no option where the record companies and the Muskrat both lose? Because that's the outcome I'm rooting for.

Unlikely. Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, and YouTube all have licensing deals with the major labels as well as have some form of best effort moderation for DMCA requests. Actually, I'm pretty sure Twitter did as well until Musk pulled them out of the agreement. This should be an easy win for the record companies. There's no challenging the constitutionality of the DMCA here and other social media companies want no part of pulling the rug out from under the DMCA. Without it, they open themselves up to lawsuits, same as what Twitter is facing.

Shocked Patrick Stewart GIF

Musk not pay people?

(Yeah i'm being a sicko with every new news article).

11 hours ago, Jason said:

gRw5Tb4.jpeg

How odd. "tranny" seems to be ok as people have posted tons of examples of people saying it with no issue. How come no mention of that in his post. :thinking:

My apologies to our lovely LGBTQ2S+ users for using that word. :hug:

I mean that’s just such obvious bait like it’s him suppressing speech in a way that encourages people to use hate speech instead and the joke is that he used free speech as an excuse previously to condone hate speech?

Like he’s an idiot but he has enough people around him that he knows what’s going on with all his culture war nonsense he shit posts.

Idk it’s just not worth posting that tripe even for dunking on him because he seems self aware.

It is interesting that obviously he has decided that doing whatever he can to help set a right wing government in power has a value in the protection they could afford that is greater than negative publicity caused by a ceo being disliked by a large amount of the people.  I think his biggest mistake with that is just overvaluing how much twitter, and himself, can really do to win elections. I would have chosen to keep my brand in better shape instead but who knows.

Usually it’s the politicians who try to convince the working class that the real issue is the working class and that the rich are the ones who have their back. The actual billionaires seem to prefer to stay away for obvious reasons and pretend to be some sort of humanitarian centrist. Elon chose to plead the case himself, obviously seeing a value in exploiting the MAGA crowd. So now you get the worlds richest man out there pretending he’s some underdog truth prophet and it’s all kinda really dumb.

Time will tell but I think unless your name is Donald Trump then it’s a bad bet to stake your future on the MAGA crowd. At some point they will want more extremism out of him than he will be willing to take the financial risk for and he’s just goin to be left living in a country that hates him.

1 hour ago, stepee said:

I mean that’s just such obvious bait like it’s him suppressing speech in a way that encourages people to use hate speech instead and the joke is that he used free speech as an excuse previously to condone hate speech?

Like he’s an idiot but he has enough people around him that he knows what’s going on with all his culture war nonsense he shit posts.

Idk it’s just not worth posting that tripe even for dunking on him because he seems self aware.

It is interesting that obviously he has decided that doing whatever he can to help set a right wing government in power has a value in the protection they could afford that is greater than negative publicity caused by a ceo being disliked by a large amount of the people.  I think his biggest mistake with that is just overvaluing how much twitter, and himself, can really do to win elections. I would have chosen to keep my brand in better shape instead but who knows.

Usually it’s the politicians who try to convince the working class that the real issue is the working class and that the rich are the ones who have their back. The actual billionaires seem to prefer to stay away for obvious reasons and pretend to be some sort of humanitarian centrist. Elon chose to plead the case himself, obviously seeing a value in exploiting the MAGA crowd. So now you get the worlds richest man out there pretending he’s some underdog truth prophet and it’s all kinda really dumb.

Time will tell but I think unless your name is Donald Trump then it’s a bad bet to stake your future on the MAGA crowd. At some point they will want more extremism out of him than he will be willing to take the financial risk for and he’s just goin to be left living in a country that hates him.

This is extremely online thinking :p 

So latest news/rumours is that the new CEO patched things up with Google and they started paying their GCP bills again. Good choice. I've been kind of curious how much of their infra leverages GCP and if Google has been threatening to shut those services off more forcefully in recent weeks.

1 hour ago, Brick said:

I'm surprised Twitter rents office buildings to begin with. You'd think a company that large would just buy a building. 

Most companies don’t want to be in the real estate business. Leasing makes more sense for the vast majority of businesses (and people!).

6 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Most companies don’t want to be in the real estate business. Leasing makes more sense for the vast majority of businesses (and people!).

This is one of those discussions I've had so many times in the past. Like unless your business is cars, you should only be leasing them. Unless your business is printing, you should only be leasing them. Unless your business is real estate, you should only be leasing space. I personally know of several companies that are pissing off their employees by pushing very hard to in person work and all of them, coincidentally, own their buildings. They've entered the real estate business and now those office buildings are assets whose value they need to care about.

• Guillotine 1
  • True 1

29 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Buying a used car is the best way to go IMO. You at least have an asset—though highly depreciated—in your hands after paying it off. Not really the case at all with a lease. Just a rental basically.  

My last lease buyout was way less than the car was worth, so I bought it out and sold it. Not always the case of course. To me a $400~ lease payment and always having a car less than 2 years old that requires no out of pocket cost outside of the gas / energy I put into it is worth it. Used cars are someone else's problem. 

On 6/23/2023 at 8:16 PM, SuperSpreader said:

Leasing cars is stupid 

My last lease from May 2020 was $218 monthly including tax, and all I had to pay up front was something like $400 in registration fees. Then car prices went stupid so I just bought the lease end out in cash since the ~$11,000 residual was well below what you're going to get on even a used version of the same model year of the same car.

On 6/23/2023 at 9:45 PM, Ominous said:

Used cars are someone else's problem. 

Even before the car market went stupid there was something to be said for leasing a car and then buying it out for the residual instead of going and buying a used car since you know for a fact if you've been keeping up with the maintenance and if there's been any major problems with the car.

• Like 1