Nintendo announces delay for Breath of the Wild sequel to Spring 2023

Commissar SFLUFAN

6 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Gonna launch with the Pro right?

right?

Jimmy Fallon Reaction GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Next year marks year 6 of the Switch, so it's highly likely (though not guaranteed of course) we see the next Nintendo console by then. Except for NES to SNES, which was a 7 year gap, all their consoles have launched within 5-6 years of each other without (another) exception.

So I'm thinking we get another split gen Zelda game. Unless Nintendo is too afraid to release another system with the Switch still doing so well, especially after how the Wii U turned out. 

There's also the complication of whether they'd go back to console + handheld as separate devices, or if they keep a combined presence... or eschew one for the other entirely. I know there's an "obvious" answer as to what a sane company would do (milk what works forever) but this is Nintendo, so who knows! They really don't like being bound by expectations. Their biggest successes lately have also been where they're bold, rather than safe.

Well, there goes my prediction. I was certain 2022 would be the year of Zelda. :doh:

Definitely more discussions coming as to whether or not this coincides with a possible Switch 2 release for Spring 2023. Given other SKUs of Tegra Orin chips are planned to launch later this year, it does appear to slot right in there as an opportune time.

But like you said @Xbob42, as long as the Switch does well, there might be less incentive to do so. I recall that compared to Nintendo's previous systems, the Switch is one  of the only to continue selling as well (minus say the Nintendo DS) five years into its life. It's unprecedented really. If Nintendo does see the writing on the wall with a projected sales slump coming this year, and into 2023, then perhaps it does make more sense to release a new iteration as early as next year.

I could see another cross-gen situation for BOTW2 as we had for the first one. More than that, I can see the same happening for Prime 4 at this rate. And you could split the differences in versions enough to entice gamers wanting to upgrade if they'd like. So say BOTW2 on OG Switch runs at 900p30, but on Switch 2, it's 1080p60 for example. And same sort of thing for Prime 4. OG Switch maybe 720-900p30, and Switch 2 1080p60 or something like that. But Nintendo doesn't normally make the two versions that drastic for a cross-gen release unless it's a remake/remaster ala Skyward Sword situation for example.

I'm a little sad they delayed it, but I'd rather they do so, and make the game as perfect as they want it rather than turn into Cyberpunk-type scenario, which normally isn't Nintendo's M.O. anyway.

It'll also give me time to replay BOTW perhaps this next winter, leaving me more time to replay Xenoblade 1, and finally get and play XC2+Torna prior to XC3 launching. :D

19 minutes ago, imthesoldier said:

Well, there goes my prediction. I was certain 2022 would be the year of Zelda. :doh:

Definitely more discussions coming as to whether or not this coincides with a possible Switch 2 release for Spring 2023. Given other SKUs of Tegra Orin chips are planned to launch later this year, it does appear to slot right in there as an opportune time.

But like you said @Xbob42, as long as the Switch does well, there might be less incentive to do so. I recall that compared to Nintendo's previous systems, the Switch is one  of the only to continue selling as well (minus say the Nintendo DS) five years into its life. It's unprecedented really. If Nintendo does see the writing on the wall with a projected sales slump coming this year, and into 2023, then perhaps it does make more sense to release a new iteration as early as next year.

I could see another cross-gen situation for BOTW2 as we had for the first one. More than that, I can see the same happening for Prime 4 at this rate. And you could split the differences in versions enough to entice gamers wanting to upgrade if they'd like. So say BOTW2 on OG Switch runs at 900p30, but on Switch 2, it's 1080p60 for example. And same sort of thing for Prime 4. OG Switch maybe 720-900p30, and Switch 2 1080p60 or something like that. But Nintendo doesn't normally make the two versions that drastic for a cross-gen release unless it's a remake/remaster ala Skyward Sword situation for example.

I'm a little sad they delayed it, but I'd rather they do so, and make the game as perfect as they want it rather than turn into Cyberpunk-type scenario, which normally isn't Nintendo's M.O. anyway.

It'll also give me time to replay BOTW perhaps this next winter, leaving me more time to replay Xenoblade 1, and finally get and play XC2+Torna prior to XC3 launching. :D

My Neo gets here tomorrow or Thursday so back to XC1. Though i guess I should just play it via my desktop since Im home. 

7 minutes ago, thedarkstark said:

Did people actually think it was coming out this year? They've shown zero footage. Also hopefully there a few Elden Lords on that team that will steal borrow a few ideas from Fromsoft now that they have more time to work on it.

i don’t think Nintendo has missed a release date in a while. 

25 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

i don’t think Nintendo has missed a release date in a while. 

tbf, Nintendo has also not met a release date for mainline Zelda in a while also :P

And they cut dungeons the last time they didn’t delay one!

53 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

Why are people saying they’re gonna steal from ER lol. ER drew heavy inspiration from BOTW…I think that team is cool with their own ideas.

That and games should be "stealing" good ideas from other games if it would make your game better. 

14 hours ago, stepee said:

they cut dungeons the last time they didn’t delay one!

Didn't delay it? Breath of the Wild was supposed to be a Wii U exclusive until it kept getting pushed back. 

14 hours ago, thedarkstark said:

Did people actually think it was coming out this year? They've shown zero footage

I thought it was possible for this year. They could have made it their holiday title. I figured the reason basically no footage has been shown is because they're playing things close to the chest, and don't want to show too much too early, so things are more of a surprise, and they can show it off properly closer to release. After all they only showed Dread a few months before it came out. Sometimes they're just bad at announcing games too early, and then we wait years for them to work on it, and Zelda is constantly one of those games they do it with. 

15 hours ago, thedarkstark said:

Did people actually think it was coming out this year? They've shown zero footage.

While true, Nintendo operates in a weird fashion. What have we seen of Pokemon Scarlett and Violet? What have we seen about Xenoblade Chronicles 3? Effectively less than what we've seen from Zelda and those titles are coming out this Fall. 

15 hours ago, Bacon said:

That and games should be "stealing" good ideas from other games if it would make your game better. 

Never said it was a bad thing, in fact I implied that opposite. Also while uinque ideas are great, there's no denying Elden Ring is as good as it is because it borrowed ideas from BotW

For me the biggest issue where botw could improve upon part 1 is the breakable weapons, it really cheapened the feel of finding something new/cool. 

1 hour ago, thedarkstark said:

They announced Metroid Prime 4 what feels like 5 years ago

Because it was five years ago haha. It was at E3 2017 they showed the logo, and announced it was in development. Since then nothing except they started over with Retro doing it now instead. 

I'm hoping we finally see something either this year or next. I say next because they might release/announce the HD Trilogy first for this year, and then 4 the following year. 

2 hours ago, Brick said:

Didn't delay it? Breath of the Wild was supposed to be a Wii U exclusive until it kept getting pushed back. 

I know, that was my overall point, they delayed BOTW, Skyward Sword, and TP. The last time they didn’t delay a mainline Zelda, Wind Waker, they had to cut dungeons from it in order to meet their target.

• True 1

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

I know, that was my overall point, they delayed BOTW, Skyward Sword, and TP. The last time they didn’t delay a mainline Zelda, Wind Waker, they had to cut dungeons from it in order to meet their target.

Oh OK I thought you were referring to Breath of the Wild not really having dungeons, and instead the Divine Beasts and shrines. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Brick said:

Because it was five years ago haha. It was at E3 2017 they showed the logo, and announced it was in development. Since then nothing except they started over with Retro doing it now instead. 

I'm hoping we finally see something either this year or next. I say next because they might release/announce the HD Trilogy first for this year, and then 4 the following year. 

Yeah. All we had to go on was it was in development by a brand new team, and then Jan 2019, they reveal development was restarted with Retro at the helm. Truthfully, we can expect it was restarted in late 2018, which puts the current development for Prime 4 at almost 3 1/2 years right now. It's certainly more possible now they'll have something to show for it come June.

As far as Prime Trilogy, that dead horse has been beaten more than one of R. Kelly's girlfriends, so it's a fricking coin toss if it'll ever see the light of day. The same is true for Wind Waker HD, and Twilight Princess HD coming to Switch. Given this delay though, I suspect it's more likely than ever those two will receive ports.