Eternal Sunshine for America: Senate passes bill to make daylight savings time permanent

1 hour ago, Brick said:

I'm sure Canada will follow suit now. This has been a long time coming. We've needed to get rid of Daylight Savings for years now, as it's so stupid having to change the clicks twice a year, and at least they're keeping the later summer days. This is going to be weird though with timezones that never did Daylight Savings. 

Saskatchewan hasn't changed clocks for decades, so it will be nice to have everyone freeze as well. Having to refigure out the TV schedule as a kid twice a year was annoying.

I strongly support this. I don’t care much for the 8:30 pm summer sunset, but it makes a lot of sense for me during the winter months. I always thought they had it reversed. Daylight savings should be in the winter and standard time in the summer. I’m fine with either time being permanent, but pick one. Pelosi and Biden better not screw this up by supporting standard time. 

9 minutes ago, Nokra said:

If this becomes law, Biden will go down as the President who made the largest contribution to the nation's collective mental health. :p

I think he already accomplished that on 11/3/2020 and 1/20/2021.

• True 2

Darkness-Time-Washington-Post.png
WWW.WASHINGTONIAN.COM

The number one complaint: Children had to go to school in the dark.

It didn’t go over well in the 70’s and only lasted a year. A lot of kids were killed in traffic accidents as they walked to school in the dark. Why would the results be any different now?

2 hours ago, Kamusha said:
WWW.WASHINGTONIAN.COM

It didn’t go over well in the 70’s and only lasted a year. A lot of kids were killed in traffic accidents as they walked to school in the dark. Why would the results be any different now?

Fewer kids walk to school now. By a LOT. 

also seemingly no one in power wants to curtail car culture enough to make walking safe

2 hours ago, Kamusha said:
WWW.WASHINGTONIAN.COM

We’ve left the era of “won’t someone think of the children” and now are in the era of “fuck them kids” is why.

• Haha 2
  • True 1

1 hour ago, LazyPiranha said:

It’s hard to predict what will happen, even if fewer kids walk to school, pedestrian fatalities are up and rising.  Reckless driving rates are high, and when you combine that with the average hood height on American cars being in low orbit, it’s a bad combo.  

Yep. Unsafer cars for pedestrians plus screens (in vehicle or cell phones) has reversed the long trend towards fewer deaths of vulnerable road users

4 hours ago, Kamusha said:
WWW.WASHINGTONIAN.COM

“Fuck them kids.”

3 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Fewer kids walk to school now. By a LOT. 

also seemingly no one in power wants to curtail car culture enough to make walking safe

Not just fewer kids walk to school, far fewer kids walk to school unattended than even in my days.

Let me bring up my old man voice.

In middle school, I walked nearly a mile to school by myself because my younger siblings went to a different school than me and my mother dropped them off since we all started at the same time. Even before then, I was walking to school with my brother, by ourselves when I was still in elementary and he was in like kindergarten.

That really doesn't happen anymore.

You really don't see 7yo kids running around, going to school in their own anymore. I did that in the 80s and even more kids did that in the 70s, but that started trending down sharply in the 90s and into the 00s.

1 hour ago, Ghost_MH said:

Not just fewer kids walk to school, far fewer kids walk to school unattended than even in my days.

Let me bring up my old man voice.

In middle school, I walked nearly a mile to school by myself because my younger siblings went to a different school than me and my mother dropped them off since we all started at the same time. Even before then, I was walking to school with my brother, by ourselves when I was still in elementary and he was in like kindergarten.

That really doesn't happen anymore.

You really don't see 7yo kids running around, going to school in their own anymore. I did that in the 80s and even more kids did that in the 70s, but that started trending down sharply in the 90s and into the 00s.

The 80’s/90’s stranger danger panic killed childhood independence in a way were only now coming back from and even then just a little bit. Nowadays you can be reported by busybodies for giving what really is appropriate levels of independence to older children, and the fear of that (and traffic violence) is keeping kids at home, to say nothing of their in home entertainment options.

But again we can’t ignore the built environment and increasing suburbanization* when it comes to children walking or biking to school. And then there’s the issue of school consolidation where you have bigger schools further away from housing (see below) all of which can only be timely and safely accessed by people driving cars. 

*this alone accounts for so much! Think of the development in a metro area as a circle that has continual suburban development with the center in the CBD. The old burbs of the 70’s and 80’s was closer in, so even in the car dependent areas there was less driving required and relatively easier to walk in because distances were inherently shorter. But as you get into the 90’s and on even further out, the area developed increases at distances that makes it even more difficult to walk or bike in because development area increases by r^2 as you move further from the CBD. So to get the same number of suburban homes (with older suburbs giving you 1/4 acre lot or more) you are spread over either a greater distance from the CBD or are distributed radially, or both! And given the lack of road connections (cul de sacs) it further increases this distance and time needed to move without a car. And this is before considering school consolidation too

30 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

The 80’s/90’s stranger danger panic killed childhood independence in a way were only now coming back from and even then just a little bit. Nowadays you can be reported by busybodies for giving what really is appropriate levels of independence to older children, and the fear of that (and traffic violence) is keeping kids at home, to say nothing of their in home entertainment options.

But again we can’t ignore the built environment and increasing suburbanization* when it comes to children walking or biking to school. And then there’s the issue of school consolidation where you have bigger schools further away from housing (see below) all of which can only be timely and safely accessed by people driving cars. 

*this alone accounts for so much! Think of the development in a metro area as a circle that has continual suburban development with the center in the CBD. The old burbs of the 70’s and 80’s was closer in, so even in the car dependent areas there was less driving required and relatively easier to walk in because distances were inherently shorter. But as you get into the 90’s and on even further out, the area developed increases at distances that makes it even more difficult to walk or bike in because development area increases by r^2 as you move further from the CBD. So to get the same number of suburban homes (with older suburbs giving you 1/4 acre lot or more) you are spread over either a greater distance from the CBD or are distributed radially, or both! And given the lack of road connections (cul de sacs) it further increases this distance and time needed to move without a car. And this is before considering school consolidation too

Closest elementary school for my kids is 2.5 miles away, most of that distance being along a major road with no sidewalks. That's too far for any kids. The furthest I ever walked for school was highschool and that was still only a mile. We've designed cities good.

When I was in 4th-6th grade (6th grade was elementary in my school district growing up) my parents let me ride my bicycle to school.  It was about 1.5 miles, and it was way out in the country, so the entire distance had to be done on the actual road, as there were no sidewalks.  Never had to deal with traffic per se, but cars would be traveling around 50 mph, expect when you got within a few hundred feet of the school.  

Junior high and high school were 7 and 6 miles away respectively, which is neither walkable or bike-ridable.  I either took the bus or got a ride from my dad.  Luckily I got my license in 10th grade and was able to drive to school after that. 

Not to be an even more crotchety old man but does anyone actually have firm numbers saying fewer kids walk to school, or is this all anecdotal stuff?  My school district won’t even give you the option of taking a bus if you’re within a certain perimeter of the school and tons of kids are on their bikes every morning.  

1 hour ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Stranger danger and how dangerous our streets are are a feedback loop on each other. It's not a coincidence that stranger danger panic and SUVs both really took off at about the same time. People responded to all these WWII battle tank sized vehicles being driven around by not wanting to let their kids walk anywhere alone.