GW University study: Hurricane Maria "excess mortality" was 2,975 in the six months after the storm

1 hour ago, osxmatt said:

Puerto Rican governor just announced they officially recognize 2,975.

1 hour ago, SFLUFAN said:

Right - the Puerto Rican government was waiting for the GWU study to revise the death toll.

Sorry, that was badly worded: what I meant was, "The official death toll was 64," to show the difference in both counts, not to say the thread title was wrong.

I think Maria was probably the most successful case of Trump's, "Deny everything, ignore reality, and declare victory" playbook.

There were several factors why this worked. Racism, but also the somewhat unique position of Puerto Rico that makes it both figuratively and literally detached from normal American life. 

Also, even if the Trump admin was fraudulent in its casualty numbers, it was also a slow motion disaster. Seems to be something of human nature to connect with a sudden, big disaster rather than one that takes place over time.

Trump didn't invent this phenomenon, but he certainly took advantage of it. His deny and distract play killed any traction these occassional Maria stories might have gotten from a president who felt things like remorse, shame, or common decency and said something like, "Mistakes were made but we're doing our best". He just didn't give the press a crack to wedge into, and they seemed unable or uninterested in really pushing the issue.

2 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I just don't understand why this isn't getting more media coverage. I don't want to say it's just because of racism, but I think that has its part to play here . . . 

"We" don't consider Puerto Rico part of the U.S., and if it isn't part of the U.S., "we" don't give two shits about it.

• 2 weeks later...

The method to determine 3000 people died in the aftermath of the storm (and because of the storm) seems solid to me.  Researchers should be able to easily see normal death rates for a given population, and compare that to the death rate during and after the storm.  Trump is just digging himself a hole here.

...But who am I kidding?  He digs himself a new hole practically every day.

trump-on-9_11.jpg?crop=900:600&width=440

30 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

And so begins hurricane trutherism.

It will be fun to watch the change in gears. After these numbers came out, many on the right were pinning this on the Puerto Rican government which, in all fairness, didn't exactly make things better. Now they have to turn around and stop blaming local politicians and then move on to none of those deaths being real at all.

10 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

I know we ask "can this administration sink any lower?" We say it so often, it's become an inside joke.

This is different though. He's denying 3,000 Americans died. I wish I could write some eloquent rant about how shameful this is, but it's ineffable.

His entire presidency - nay, his entire existence (being he's an American citizen) is a blight on what will, inevitably, become part of American history. It's unconscionable and all of us have to live with this stain (and others) on our souls now. Anyone who is an American citizen is inherently complicit to one degree or another. Anyone who voted for him, doubly so. Anyone who still supports him should burn in hell with him once this is all over. 

https://theconcourse.deadspin.com/yep-americas-worst-human-is-still-president-1829025053

"The worst person alive—the pettiest, smallest, emptiest, most dishonest, most malignant shit-for-brains you could ever imagine, just an absolute worthless interpretively man-shaped lint clump from the absolute bottom of the human genetic drain—is the president."

1 hour ago, osxmatt said:

I know we ask "can this administration sink any lower?" We say it so often, it's become an inside joke.

This is different though. He's denying 3,000 Americans died. I wish I could write some eloquent rant about how shameful this is, but it's ineffable.

Imagine Bush claiming that the not that only 300 or so people died on 9/11 because the people that died in the towers did so after the planes hit.