Obi-Wan Kenobi (Disney+, May 27) - Official Trailer

4 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Also: 

This is something I was explaining to my wife. My memory is fuzzy, but aren't Vader's powers diminished considerably after being maimed? He's not peak Anakin Skywalker, the one who will bring balance, force powers, correct? I thought that was a whole thing with Palpatine, that Palpatine always sort of resented Vader because Palpatine thought he was getting OG Anakin and not weakened Vader. It was an undercurrent in the OT and elaborated on in the EU right? I'm not saying Vader is weak, just weaker than what Palpatine thought he was getting thanks to Obi-Wan.

Either way, Vader has always been a slow tank for sure, agree with this completely. He's not like Yoda jumping around like crazy, or like Palpatine using force lighting and throwing objects around. The way he fights in Rogue One and the OT are consistent: lightsaber, slow walk, tank people, and throw shit and people around (and force choking). Vader's moves are slow and considered.

• Halal 1

1 minute ago, Greatoneshere said:

This is something I was explaining to my wife. My memory is fuzzy, but aren't Vader's powers diminished considerably after being maimed? He's not peak Anakin Skywalker, the one who will bring balance, force powers, correct? I thought that was a whole thing with Palpatine, that Palpatine always sort of resented Vader because Palpatine thought he was getting OG Anakin and not weakened Vader. It was an undercurrent in the OT and elaborated on in the EU right? I'm not saying Vader is weak, just weaker than what Palpatine thought he was getting thanks to Obi-Wan.

Either way, Vader has always been a slow tank for sure, agree with this completely. He's not like Yoda jumping around like crazy, or like Palpatine using force lighting and throwing objects around. The way he fights in Rogue One and the OT are consistent: lightsaber, slow walk, tank people, and throw shit around. Vader's moves are slow and considered.

I can’t remember what the canon says about this specifically. I think they’re diminished to some extent but Vader’s still head and shoulders above everyone other than Sheev. When he gets into conflict with the Inquisitors or stray Jedi he absolutely dunks on them. I think it’s really only Ahsoka and Luke that give him trouble and there’s the possibility that he’s holding back with them because of history / trying to recruit Luke. Everyone else is just constantly on the defensive and usually ends up dead very quickly unless he wants them alive.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I can’t remember what the canon says about this specifically. I think they’re diminished to some extent but Vader’s still head and shoulders above everyone other than Sheev. When he gets into conflict with the Inquisitors or stray Jedi he absolutely dunks on them. I think it’s really only Ahsoka and Luke that give him trouble and there’s the possibility that he’s holding back with them because of history / trying to recruit Luke. Everyone else is just constantly on the defensive and usually ends up dead very quickly unless he wants them alive.

Yeah definitely for sure, agreed. He's still, as you said, the second most powerful Force user at that point in the galaxy (below Palpatine, Yoda and Obi-Wan are out of practice and getting older and weaker by the year, maybe Ahsoka as you said). Vader usually just kills everyone so we don't know any diminished state, but I seem to recall Vader is basically kept alive by his suit and the dark side of the force, he's weakened in some way. But I can't remember exactly either. I mean, he's not moving around like Anakin on Mustafar, but that could be he's grown to use his powers in better ways (I say that as he massacres people casually while walking around in this episode and Rogue One). :p 

7 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Yeah definitely for sure, agreed. He's still, as you said, the second most powerful Force user at that point in the galaxy (below Palpatine, Yoda and Obi-Wan are out of practice and getting older and weaker by the year, maybe Ahsoka as you said). Vader usually just kills everyone so we don't know any diminished state, but I seem to recall Vader is basically kept alive by his suit and the dark side of the force, he's weakened in some way. But I can't remember exactly either. I mean, he's not moving around like Anakin on Mustafar, but that could be he's grown to use his powers in better ways (I say that as he massacres people casually while walking around in this episode and Rogue One). :p 

Yeah. I think some of this comes back to the Prequels and Legends establishing Force users preposterously powerful. All the backflips and laser raves we see in the PT, in the books Luke was using the Force to teleport shit and jizz golden fire. Compared to that onscreen Vader seems kinda tame. :p

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Either way, Vader has always been a slow tank for sure, agree with this completely. He's not like Yoda jumping around like crazy, or like Palpatine using force lighting and throwing objects around. The way he fights in Rogue One and the OT are consistent: lightsaber, slow walk, tank people, and throw shit and people around (and force choking). Vader's moves are slow and considered.

Oh for sure he's a tank, and arguably he traded his agility for greater force powers. It's hard to say he's not at his peak now, since Anakin as we last saw him wasn't that insanely powerful with his force abilities. I think when Padme died, he just ascended to this crazy level. Physically he definitely moves like Jason Voorhees though. :P

Seeing him in this, as well as Rogue One, he's just undeniably badass.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Reputator said:

Oh for sure he's a tank, and arguably he traded his agility for greater force powers. It's hard to say he's not at his peak now, since Anakin as we last saw him wasn't that insanely powerful with his force abilities. I think when Padme died, he just ascended to this crazy level. Physically he definitely moves like Jason Voorhees though. :P

Seeing him in this, as well as Rogue One, he's just undeniably badass.

Yeah most definitely, it's nice to see more Vader being badass because we just never got much of it in the OT. 

2 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I'm waiting to see if I want to watch this, but I couldn't care less this this breaks canon. I do think them not meeting until ANH is cooler but meh. 

i can assure you that this is much cooler 

3 minutes ago, johnny said:

i can assure you that this is much cooler 

I don't think I will feel the same. There is something about going from this

Obi Wan Episode 3 GIF by Star Wars

to this

episode 4 lightsaber GIF by Star Wars

without ever seeing each other until this final moment that's like... dang but it ain't a big deal  

I've never interpreted Vader as being a weaker version of Anakin (although I know the EU had stated as much) and I never much liked the idea either.

Instead, even post-prequel, I see the way Vader fights as a tank to be a deliberate choice to reflect who he now is. Being a tank like that is a certain kind of psychological warfare on your opponent, and since he trounces everyone, I don't think it can be clearly determined to be a limitation.

• Like 1

You guys should really read the Star Wars comics that Marvel is doing right now especially the Darth Vader one. They give you a pretty good idea of where his power levels are and what his limitations are with his cybernetics. They're all canon, and the time period they are in right now is post Empire Strikes back leading up to Return of the Jedi and they are showing Luke's journey to becoming a Jedi Knight. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

You guys should really read the Star Wars comics

Pre-post edit: this is not me goin' at ya skillz, i'm just assblasted about this shit 

No. There has been nothing worse than the multi-media shit that has been going on for years now. I have come to utterly despise how the whole story is not told via one medium. Play the game, read the book, read the graphic novel, play the mobile game, listen to the audio drama, watch the cartoon on StreamingPlatform™, play the spin-off x-com like game. 

Uh, sorry. If you like it that's cool. I'm sure the comics are great, but I just want to play the game or watch the movie without feeling like I'm missing out by not consuming every piece of media that comes out because everything is canon. 

35 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Pre-post edit: this is not me goin' at ya skillz, i'm just assblasted about this shit 

No. There has been nothing worse than the multi-media shit that has been going on for years now. I have come to utterly despise how the whole story is not told via one medium. Play the game, read the book, read the graphic novel, play the mobile game, listen to the audio drama, watch the cartoon on StreamingPlatform™, play the spin-off x-com like game. 

Uh, sorry. If you like it that's cool. I'm sure the comics are great, but I just want to play the game or watch the movie without feeling like I'm missing out by not consuming every piece of media that comes out because everything is canon. 

FWIW the recent comics have been, in general, pretty good. But they’re in no way required reading.

• True 1

Just now, skillzdadirecta said:

I never watched Clone Wars OR Rebels and I don't feel like I'm missing out. :shrug:

You’re missing out by not watching Rebels. Not like… missing out on the canon. Just missing out in general. :p  It’s quite good!

• Halal 1

29 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

You’re missing out by not watching Rebels. Not like… missing out on the canon. Just missing out in general. :p  It’s quite good!

Yeah I may watch at some point... I keep hearing how good they are. I was just pointing out that Rebels and Clone wars seem to be very important to current Star Wars plans and shows and I don't feel like I've missed out on anything canonical despite the fact that I haven't seen them.

• True 1

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Yeah I may watch at some point... I keep hearing how good they are. I was just pointing out that Rebels and Clone wars seem to be very important to current Star Wars plans and shows and I don't feel like I've missed out on anything canonical despite the fact that I haven't seen them.

Yeah, I think your point stands: you'll be completely fine having not watched them. Beyond the possible enjoyment from the shows themselves, the only thing you'd miss out on is some fun back references to them in other shows. Like Ahsoka being introduced in The Madalorian was probably more "fun" for people familiar with the animated shows, but she stands on her own as a character in the Mandalorian too, and it wasn't required that you know much about her to understand her scenes in that.

• True 1

15 minutes ago, legend said:

Yeah, I think your point stands: you'll be completely fine having not watched them. Beyond the possible enjoyment from the shows themselves, the only thing you'd miss out on is some fun back references to them in other shows. Like Ahsoka being introduced in The Madalorian was probably more "fun" for people familiar with the animated shows, but she stands on her own as a character in the Mandalorian too, and it wasn't required that you know much about her to understand her scenes in that.

Same with Cad Bane and Black Krrsantan in Boba Fett and The Grand Inquisitor and the Inquisitors themselves. NONE of these characters are in the main movies and all were introduced in other media. They show up in these shows and exist there and if you want to know more about them, the material is there if you want. It's not in anyway required unless you have extreme FOMO.

• True 1

Did anyone else think that Vader's voice sounded better than it has in recent years? With his roles in Rebels and Rogue One you could tell James Earl Jones is getting older because his performance seemed more strained, more laboured, and almost out of breath sounding. Here he sounded like his younger self, so I wonder if he's maybe gotten a little healthier lately, maybe lost some weight for example, or if Disney is using some sort of AI voice deep fake, but still crediting him because it is legally his voice. 

• True 1

6 hours ago, Brick said:

Did anyone else think that Vader's voice sounded better than it has in recent years? With his roles in Rebels and Rogue One you could tell James Earl Jones is getting older because his performance seemed more strained, more laboured, and almost out of breath sounding. Here he sounded like his younger self, so I wonder if he's maybe gotten a little healthier lately, maybe lost some weight for example, or if Disney is using some sort of AI voice deep fake, but still crediting him because it is legally his voice. 

I noticed that too but I figured they hired a sound-alike.

Watched the first two episodes last night, and...it's okay. Ewan's performance is pretty good, but most of the other actors aren't great. Actually, Owen was the best so far. The effects are fine, and the practical effects are great (love seeing so many alien designs). Bad guys aren't great performances, and yes, the Leia scenes involving her running are pretty bad.

Overall I am excited to see where this will go, but it definitely feels like TV and not high-end TV, at least so far. I don't see where the "better than Mandalorian" takes are coming from, at least so far. I think the weakest part has to be the directing. Any shot involving running or jumping is just really low-quality. Especially when the third sister is jumping around on the neon planet. 

23 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

I don't see where the "better than Mandalorian" takes are coming from, at least so far.

Better than/worse than doesn’t matter much to me. I overall through three episodes LIKE Kenobi better than Mando through 12 episodes.

It is really simple: I’ve been emotionally invested in these characters since I was old enough to watch the OT on VHS. 30ish years. It is the same reason why ROTJ Luke showing up in Mando was easily the best moment in Star Wars for me since the OT. 

I will probably watch some of these Star Wars spin-offs that “grow the universe”…but it would appear my heart just wants to see more adventures of my old friends.

My approach to the canonicity (yes, this is actually a word - I looked it up!) of the events of Star Wars is to take the series at its word that everything we're witnessing happened:

"A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away..."

When viewed from within this conceptual framework, we're not watching a factually-based "historical" telling of these events, but rather we're watching an interpretive "mythological" telling of these events which means that inconsistencies, etc. in the telling of these tales can be somewhat more understandable/forgivable "from a certain point of view".

Once I developed this view of the Star Wars lore, it just became so much easier to simply enjoy what was being presented to me rather than be overly concerned as to how it lined up with canon.

Except for The Rise of Skywalker.  There is absolutely no redeeming that abomination whatsoever.

• Like 3
  • True 1

As for this last episode, much like the superb Rogue One, it REALLY emphasized what an utterly terrifying "(dark side) force of nature" Darth Vader truly is.

His on-screen depiction in both Rogue One and this episode effectively turns the genre from "space fantasy" to "horror" instantly.

• Like 1
  • True 1

I really enjoyed the 3rd episode for the very reason why the galaxy doesn’t do anything. Darth Vader is scary as fuck! Loved the torture he gave Obi-Wan and I don’t think he wants Obi-Wan dead yet. Seems to be love making him go crazy and that’s torture enough for his already weaken state. He almost seems to be avoiding using The Force, even when he clearly can/should. Plus I can watch stuff on my projector again and it looks amazing with JVC’s HDR coding. Phone doesn’t do it justice but I took a pic.

spacer.png

• Like 2

On 6/3/2022 at 10:15 AM, CitizenVectron said:

Watched the first two episodes last night, and...it's okay. Ewan's performance is pretty good, but most of the other actors aren't great. Actually, Owen was the best so far. The effects are fine, and the practical effects are great (love seeing so many alien designs). Bad guys aren't great performances, and yes, the Leia scenes involving her running are pretty bad.

Overall I am excited to see where this will go, but it definitely feels like TV and not high-end TV, at least so far. I don't see where the "better than Mandalorian" takes are coming from, at least so far. I think the weakest part has to be the directing. Any shot involving running or jumping is just really low-quality. Especially when the third sister is jumping around on the neon planet. 

I started watching Stranger Things 4 and...I gotta say, it's kind of disappointing how the cinematography and overall production quality seems worse on Obi-Wan Kenobi. They really should aim higher if that's where the streaming competition is at.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Reputator said:

I started watching Stranger Things 4 and...I gotta say, it's kind of disappointing how the cinematography and overall production quality seems worse on Obi-Wan Kenobi. They really should aim higher if that's where the streaming competition is at.

it could be better but to be fair stranger things is like the top streaming show. not sure what the budgets are for each show but i’ve been happy with kenobi thus far.