Canadian Insurrection | UPDATE - Oversight commission rules invocation of Emergency Act by Trudeau was warranted

I would hope the gofundme campaign for this joke of a protest. Goes to the people really affected by this, the local businesses and shelters. They fucked them over worse then what the mandate is doing to the drivers. Some people are willing to work, but their mandate crusade is doing even more damage on top of struggling family and businesses

1 hour ago, mclumber1 said:

The problem with large, nation-wide protest movements is that they are injected with ideas and slogans that at best, run parallel to the main protest's concerns, and at worst, are counterproductive to that movement's cause. 

Anyone remember Occupy Wall Street?  What a shit show that was.  You leftists should be thankful that these Canadian conservatives don't have a unified message, or any semblance of leadership.

wah

24 minutes ago, silentbob said:

I would hope the gofundme campaign for this joke of a protest. Goes to the people really affected by this, the local businesses and shelters. They fucked them over worse then what the mandate is doing to the drivers. Some people are willing to work, but their mandate crusade is doing even more damage on top of struggling family and businesses

Allegedly it's going to go primarily to these things:

• Food and accommodations for everyone staying in Ottawa for the protest (they are publicly calling for weeks of occupation, downtown)
  • Income replacement for truckers who take part and aren't working

Realistically while I expect some of the money to go to those things...I expect the majority to be grifted in some way. Also, how do you even logistically organize the disbursement of funds to hundreds or thousands of people for things like food, shelter, etc? Receipts? Facebook messages? It's obviously not going to work, and in the end a bunch of people who took unpaid leave from their work to spend a week in Ottawa are going to be angry at the gofundme organizer.

16 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

wah

Well organized and topic focused movements will have a better chance of succeeding, compared to disorganized, fractured movements, where there are a dozen different messages attempting to gain traction. 

All I am saying is, I wouldn't worry too much about what these truckers are doing.

The delusion in their messaging groups is just unreal:

yWhSeOi.jpg

Like...there are only 250,000-300,000 truckers in all of Canada. And actual police counts put the number of trucks (in the protest in Ottawa) at between 150-300. More may have come now...but we're talking a few hundred at most. And Ottawa only has a population of 1 million.

5 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Well organized and topic focused movements will have a better chance of succeeding, compared to disorganized, fractured movements, where there are a dozen different messages attempting to gain traction. 

All I am saying is, I wouldn't worry too much about what these truckers are doing.

Obviously we won't know how this plays out politically for a while, and it's possible that this increases support for the Conservatives/PPC and reduces support for the Liberals/NDP/etc...but, like, one of the main differences between Canada and the US is that in Canada there is still a significant chunk of the electorate that actively changes votes in each election, and is not affiliated with any party, due to lower levels of polarization. Scenes of people waiving nazi flags and putting stuff on the Terry Fox statue are not likely to resonate well with this group, which in the past few elections has leaned Liberal. Additionally, the more news that comes out about them taking food from homeless kitchens, peeing on war memorials, threatening people in the streets, etc, the more the fully vaccinated are going to see the protestors as a bunch of whiners. And in Canada, the vaccinated are 91%+ of the voting population. 

2 hours ago, mclumber1 said:

The problem with large, nation-wide protest movements is that they are injected with ideas and slogans that at best, run parallel to the main protest's concerns, and at worst, are counterproductive to that movement's cause. 

Anyone remember Occupy Wall Street?  What a shit show that was.  You leftists should be thankful that these Canadian conservatives don't have a unified message, or any semblance of leadership.

This whole protest was organized by crazies.

People have found their zello channel, and are brigading it with air horn noises. I shit you not, the nutjobs are responding with things like "we can't hear anything, you're going to make us deaf!" and "that's fucking rude."

Uh...like you are doing with constant real-life air horns in the downtown of a city for 48 hours straight? These people can't even understand what irony is.

25 minutes ago, Uaarkson said:

The internet has really done a number on western society, hasn’t it.

It’s the best worst thing we have created in a very long time. My mom said that a friend of hers in the area heard a patient died on-route to what should of been a 10min tops drive to the hospital, because these assholes wouldn’t move based on their freedom. Took them over 45min to get there and died because of all of these assholes, and they believe the patient would of lived with the proper care in a normal arrival time.

6 minutes ago, silentbob said:

It’s the best worst thing we have created in a very long time. My mom said that a friend of hers in the area heard a patient died on-route to what should of been a 10min tops drive to the hospital, because these assholes wouldn’t move based on their freedom. Took them over 45min to get there and died because of all of these assholes, and they believe the patient would of lived with the proper care in a normal arrival time.

While that is possible, I'm usually quite skeptical of these stories (especially one that's as third-hand as this one) because some version of it gets circulated for every major urban area protest.

8 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

While that is possible, I'm usually quite skeptical of these stories (especially one that's as third-hand as this one) because some version of it gets circulated for every major urban area protest.

I heard one during the big GW Bridge/Ft Lee scandal. 

Also Ottawa City Police have released a statement saying that the reason they aren't even handing out parking tickets to these people is because they want to avoid confrontation. The same police that show up in full riot gear when Indigenous protestors arrange a proper demonstration with actual permits, etc.

And hey, don't get me wrong—this sort of non-confrontational response is actually good at preventing violence, etc, and should be the default for all demonstrations. But we know it's not, and in this case some of these vehicles really need to be moved and these people kept under control. The people living in downtown are basically being held hostage. Some schools are closed today for fear of letting students walk to school past these idiots!

18 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Does the mayor have the ability to directly request security assistance from the Federal government or does it have to run through the Provincial authorities first?

3 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

In any event, the lack of any Federal-level action REALLY puts the imbecile TrueD'oh in a VERY bad light and he should be subjected to a vote of confidence.

It's complicated. Policing is generally a city responsibility in Canada, and then in Ontario it would escalate to provincial police (in some of Canada the RCMP function as provincial police, but not in Ontario). Technically some of the protest/occupation is taking place on federal land, so the RCMP could be used. In terms of why the federal government hasn't acted, I assume it's to prevent looking like the thing the protestors accuse it of being (authoritarian, etc). I agree they should be at least acting to keep the demonstrators away from federal buildings, etc.

Also the current conspiracy theory in the protestor channels is that Trudeau is not actually isolating for COVID exposure, he has fled the country (to Berlin, Germany) because he knows the government is about to fall and be replaced). lol

From that article above:

But by Sunday morning, other protesters were cleaning and guarding the National War Memorial, showing that judging a movement by its worst elements is disingenuous.

No one is saying that 100% of the people there are all nazis, etc. But...there hasn't been an internal movement kick out the nazis and racists. That says a lot. They are willing to have them as allies if it means getting their way.